PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Oscar Nominations

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 10th, 2013, 01:15:54 PM
The Oscar nominations were announced today.
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-oscars/2013-oscar-nominations-announcement-223312562.html

Several surprises, especially Ben Affleck and Bigelow both snubbed. Lincoln looks like the clear frontrunner with Silver Linings Playbook in second place and Life Of Pi next.

CMJ
Jan 10th, 2013, 03:00:29 PM
SLP will be very formidable. For what amounts to a romcom (although a very good one!) to get into categories like Editing is remarkable.

Yog
Jan 10th, 2013, 03:07:17 PM
I am glad Kon-Tiki got a nomination, although it has no chance to win, with the tough competition from Amour and others.

CMJ
Jan 14th, 2013, 06:58:12 PM
This is a legitimate four way race. I'll be stunned if any movie wins more than four awards. No sweeps this year.

Mu Satach
Jan 15th, 2013, 11:02:57 AM
I think this year I'm going to try and rewatch/watch every movie I can from the directing, cinematography, and director categories before the Oscars.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 16th, 2013, 10:20:23 AM
So what are the odds Argo wins Best Picture?

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2013, 09:55:50 PM
So what are the odds Argo wins Best Picture?

If according to Huffington Post, not good.

http://data.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/oscar-predictions

:lol

Their methodology has to be flawed. There is no way Lincoln is that odds on to win.

I think right now it's....

Lincoln 23%
Silver Linings Playbook 23%
Life of Pi 21%
Argo 21%
Les Miserables 5%
Zero Dark Thirty 4%
Django Unchained 2%
Beasts of the Southern Wild 1%
Armour 0%

CMJ
Jan 25th, 2013, 02:37:48 PM
This weekend should tell us a lot with the SAG and PGA awards.

Droo
Jan 26th, 2013, 06:15:45 PM
You know, Daniel Day-Lewis has enough Oscars. Hugh Jackman deserves this so much.

CMJ
Jan 26th, 2013, 07:48:00 PM
You know, Daniel Day-Lewis has enough Oscars. Hugh Jackman deserves this so much.

This was DDL's best performance. :p

CMJ
Jan 27th, 2013, 12:11:21 AM
Well, after winning the PGA the race for Best Picture is Argo's to lose at this point. Best Director is gonna be a total crapshoot.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2013, 12:23:23 PM
I am still not sure, the SAGs could complicate things further tonight.

CMJ
Jan 27th, 2013, 02:29:08 PM
I expect SLP to win the Ensemble award...but I don't think that means much this year in the Oscar race. It usually doesn't actually. I mean The Help won last year and it was never a threat to win Best Picture.

About the only time I think it was a real momentum changer was Crash.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2013, 03:01:17 PM
Well I think it is really up for grabs. I think it is a 3 way race at this point.

CMJ
Jan 27th, 2013, 09:25:50 PM
And Argo wins the Ensemble award. Unless this is Apollo 13 redux, I have to think that's ballgame.

Droo
Feb 4th, 2013, 06:41:06 PM
This was DDL's best performance. :p

While it was a fine performance, I don't think it holds a candle to his turn as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood. Personally, I enjoyed Tommy Lee-Jones more in this film than Daniel Day-Lewis, he stole every scene he was in, as did Sally Field. And while I think it might be Anne Hathaway's year for supporting actress, I'd love to see Tommy Lee-Jones win for supporting actor. Now I can only cross my fingers for Hugh Jackman. I stand by my original statement: Day-Lewis doesn't need another bloody golden man, we already know he's pretty much the greatest actor in the world anyway.

CMJ
Feb 7th, 2013, 01:38:58 AM
I disagree completely. As great at DDL has been before, he was trasncendent in Lincoln. I truly believe nothing he has ever done comes close.

Plus Jackman was not that great, nor was the film. :p Les Miserables was passable at best. Of the eight BP nominees I have seen, it is my least favorite. In fact, it is probably my least favorite BP nom of the last several years if I am being completely honest.

Droo
Feb 7th, 2013, 06:41:45 AM
Then we'll agree to disagree. The problem I have with Day-Lewis's Lincoln is that, although he is the titular character, the performance itself is limited by the role. A lot of things happen around Lincoln, but for the best part I found he was limited to moving around the screen doing his Abe impression while other characters get the juicier stuff. There are those who say the nominations for Best Actor are really the nominees for best part, because those actors have their writers to thank for giving them so much to work with. For me, this is never more apparent than when you compare Day-Lewis's Lincoln with Plainview, because with the latter, I think he's given more to play with and as a result, we get a much better performance. On the other hand, his Lincoln performance was monumental, in all the best and worst ways.

CMJ
Feb 7th, 2013, 10:50:52 AM
Well, they're different kinds of roles so the performances are gonna be vastly different. There Will Be Blood is this big, bold, slightly in your face film (like most of PT Anderson's movies realy). Plainview was similarly a BIG character. A lot of "OMG ACTORING" going on.

Lincoln is a more reserved, obviously cerebral piece. The title character is more nuanced and subdued. Doesn't hurt that be basically nailed how I thought Lincoln mostly was based on books I've read about the time.

Both of the performances are brilliant. I just like that a relatively "small" performance has generated this acclaim. I tend to think acting Oscars are more apt to go for the bigger, showy stuff. Not that DDL's performance in this one isn't showy, but it's a different kind.

Droo
Feb 19th, 2013, 02:18:11 PM
So far, I've seen Lincoln, Les Mis, Django, Zero Dark Thirty and just recently Argo. And, for me, Argo is miles ahead of the competition. Best film I've seen in a long time.

CMJ
Feb 22nd, 2013, 12:30:58 AM
I thought Argo was a very well done thriller but not really best picture worthy. I mean it slipped in my top ten for the year (at #9), so it won't be a terrible choice, but I think it'd be one of the weaker recent Best Pctures. However, I know it's gonna win.

In the last ten years I'd prbably say.

1. No Country For Old men
2. Return of the King
3. The Hurt Locker
4. The Artist
5. The Departed
6. Slumdog Millionaire
7. Million Dollar Baby
8. Argo
9. The King's Speech
10. Crash

It's close between MDB and Argo for #7/8. Anyway, I'm finalizing my final predictions right now. It's gonna be a real crapshoot in some categories. Really, I am only confident in a handful of categories this year.

Yog
Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:39:39 AM
Predictions

Best Picture: Argo

Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
Actress in a Leading Role: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
Actor in Supporting Role: Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln)
Actress in a Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
Animated Feature Film: Brave
Cinematography: Life Of Pi - Claudio Miranda
Costume Design: Les Miserables
Directing: Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
Documentary Feature: Searching for Sugar Man
Documentary Short: Open Heart
Film Editing: Argo
Foreign Language Film: Amour
Makeup & Hairstyling: The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey
Music - Original Score: Mychael Danna (Life of Pi)
Music - Original Song: "Skyfall" (Skyfall)
Production Design: Les Miserables
Short Film - Animated: Paperman
Short Film - Live Action: Curfew
Sound Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
Sound Mixing: Les Miserables
Visual Effects: Life of Pi
Writing - Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio (Argo)
Writing - Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained)

Yog
Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:42:53 AM
An Oscar Voter's Brutally Honest Ballot (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscar-voters-brutally-honest-ballot-422546)

Droo
Feb 22nd, 2013, 12:15:22 PM
Lincoln is going in my second slot; it’s a bore, but it’s Spielberg, it’s well-meaning, and it’s important.
This is a very telling statement, and I almost totally agree with it, except that I would argue that it is for exactly those reasons that Lincoln should not recieve the critical acclaim lauded upon it. The film is almost as entirely forgettable as Django Unchained, saved only by a couple of solid performances, and I expect, a year down the road, people will wake up (as they so very often do with Oscars and hindsight) and think "Woah, what were we thinking back then?"

CMJ
Feb 22nd, 2013, 12:40:49 PM
I suspect Lincoln will age much better than Argo...and anything else in the race except for maybe Zero Dark Thirty (procedurals about recent history tend to age very well...All The President's Men, The Insider, etc). Actually I think it may be considered one of Spielberg's best films 20 years from now.

Anyhow, my predictions.

Best Picture:
Argo

Best Director:
David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)

Best Actor:
Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)

Best Actress:
Jennifer lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)

Best Supporting Actress:
Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)

Best Supporting ACtor:
Robert De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook)

Best Animated Feature:
Brave

Best Foreign Film:
Amour

Best Original Screenplay:
Django Unchained

Best Adampted Screenplay:
Argo

Best Costume Design:
Anna Karenina

Best Song:
"Skyfall" from Skyfall

Best Original Score
Life of Pi

Best Dosumentary:
Searching For Sugarman

Best Documentary Short Subject:
Mondays at Racine

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:
Les Miserables

Best Production Design:
Lincoln

Best Film Editing:
Argo

Best Cinematography:
Life of Pi

Best Sound Editing:
Argo

Best Sound Mixing:
Les Miserables

Best Visual Effects:
Life of Pi

Best Animated Short Film :
Paperman

Bezt Live Action Short Film:
Curfew

This is my best year for seeing the nominees. I really have only missed a handful of films this year - first time I ever saw all 5 of the Foreign Films before the telecast.

Droo
Feb 23rd, 2013, 07:58:39 PM
Having seen Silver Linings Playbook, I'd definately like to see Jennifer Lawrence win in her category, and I was so impressed with Bradley Cooper (who shall no longer just be known to me as the guy from those hateful Hangover films). Generally, I cannot abide offerings from the rom-com genre, but this was a wonderful exception which, I was surprised to find, resonated deep with me. And, finally, a film I was able to recommend to my sisters!

Droo
Feb 24th, 2013, 11:53:05 AM
Beasts of the Southern Wild was a nice interesting film, but I can't help but think the wildly raving critics have been influenced more by what they brought to the film, rather than what it gave to them. I think it's depth is subjective depending on the viewer. There were things I liked about it a lot but personally I felt it was too all-over-the-place for me to really care.

Sansa
Feb 24th, 2013, 01:51:00 PM
Paperman is such a beautiful short. :3:

Droo
Feb 24th, 2013, 07:15:41 PM
Best Picture: Argo
Most deserving in terms of being an all-round entertaining and rock solid piece of cinema.

Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
It will, of course, be well-deserved, although I'd love to see Hugh Jackman win.

Actress in a Leading Role: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
If Jessica Chastain wins, I'll be equally happy.

Actor in Supporting Role: Robert De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook)
Definately the strongest of those I saw. I loved Tommy Lee Jones, but the role simply lacked variety. Sadly, I haven't seen The Master.

Actress in a Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
None of the others come close for me.

Cinematography: Skyfall
Of all the awards, this is one of the ones I care most about. Skyfall is gorgeous!

Costume Design: Les Miserables
Lincoln would be an equally deserved win.

Directing: Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
A really tough one since the rightfully deserving winner is sinfully absent from the nominees. Of the nominees, I'd like to see Behn Zeitlin win it, but I think this is Spielberg's win.

Film Editing: Argo
My preference, although Zero Dark Thirty is probably a strong contender for this, too. That last half hour...

Foreign Language Film: Amour
Based on the strength of its nominations. I haven't seen any of the other nominees.

Makeup & Hairstyling: The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey
It's got to be, really.

Music - Original Score: Life of Pie
I don't think it's been a standout year for great scores. Strongest of the bunch, though.

Music - Original Song: Skyfall
It's in the bag, surely.

Production Design: Les Miserables
My personal preference, although I think Lincoln is equally deserving here.

Sound Editing: Skyfall
Call me a biased Brit, but technically, this film is an absolute beast.

Sound Mixing: Les Miserables
For obvious reasons.

Visual Effects: Life of Pi
I don't think there was really any other competition for this one this year, compared to this film, of course.

Adapted Screenplay: Argo
This, or Silver Linings Playbook, to make me happy.

Original Screenplay: Zero Dark Thirty
Considering the subject matter, most of which being something of a desk jockey manhunt for Osama bin Laden, I think it's a brilliant piece of work. If Tarantino wins this for his self-indulgent waffle, I'll be pissed.

Crusader
Feb 24th, 2013, 08:06:49 PM
Does anyone have a live stream for this shindig? Plz PM me!

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2013, 11:15:50 PM
I hit 21 of 24 categories correctly. I would have happily been wrong if Lincoln could have gotten more gold though!

Crusader
Feb 25th, 2013, 10:41:44 AM
I am surprised that Waltz and Lewis got their 2nd Oscars in such a short time frame from the academy. Maybe that was a theme for this year's ceremony. It is not like they had themes before.

I find it awesome that Ben Affleck finally got the recognition that he deserves and that he is not standing in Matt Damon's shadow anymore. Maybe now they can finally work on Good Will Hunting Season!

Droo
Feb 25th, 2013, 11:27:45 AM
I love Christoph Waltz but I have to agree with the grumpy cynical voter in that article linked earlier; it was an unfair nomination, he was quite clearly co-lead with Jamie Foxx in that film. It was not a supporting role.

Sansa
Feb 25th, 2013, 11:31:53 AM
I loved Jennifer Lawrence's win, and I even loved her stumble on the steps. You can tell how shocked she was. :3: