PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - "Stop right there, criminal scum! You violated my mother!"

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 18th, 2012, 05:33:06 AM
The other thread grew as vast as Skyrim itself, so here's a new one.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRmdXDH9b1s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRmdXDH9b1s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Yog
Nov 23rd, 2012, 06:30:48 PM
From Steam deals thread:

Europeans, get Skyrim for £7.99 (http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim/5002231), using the discount code NOV20OFFUK

You will then get email with a code which can be used to activate game on Steam.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:58:49 PM
We got Skyrim for PS3 tonight. I going to try learning how to play it, if Owen doesn't discourage me too much.

He likes to say "you're not very good at this, Mom" when I'm trying to play a game. :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 24th, 2012, 12:35:16 AM
My first playthrough was as an archer, and it's stupid fun as an archer, but it's also stupid fun as a tank, so either way you play it's stupid fun :D

Captain Untouchable
Nov 24th, 2012, 01:29:31 AM
We got Skyrim for PS3 tonight. I going to try learning how to play it, if Owen doesn't discourage me too much.

He likes to say "you're not very good at this, Mom" when I'm trying to play a game. :(

Once you get the hang of it, it gets stupid-easy to kill dragons. Make sure Owen doesn't get to see you play until after you've got the hang of dragon-slaying. That way, he'll think you're a total badass. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 25th, 2012, 03:52:43 PM
http://kotaku.com/5961994/what-skyrim-looks-like-when-youre-running-100-mods-at-once

"What Skyrim looks like when you're running 100 mods at once" - wow! :eek

Cassus Wain
Nov 26th, 2012, 10:43:03 PM
http://kotaku.com/5961994/what-skyrim-looks-like-when-youre-running-100-mods-at-once

"What Skyrim looks like when you're running 100 mods at once" - wow! :eek

I know, right! :dood:

I recently started playing from the beginning again on PS3, though hopefully a friend of mine will be getting the 360 version so I can play through the DC and expansions.

Only thing of note was that while I escaped from Helgen (I'll put spoilers up if people want, but I don't think it's really necessary now), I lost the bear. I ended up jumping down on top of it and running screaming through the cave while Ralof pegged it with arrows. I myself screamed, I should add.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:03:13 AM
You lost it?? I snuck past it. :uhoh

I just got to ... Oh who knows what the town's name is. But the one with the blacksmith I'm supposed to talk to (and I have). I didn't escape with Ralof it was the other guy.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:53:50 AM
My first playthrough I tagged along with Ralof as well. Of course, owing to the nature of those shifty sneakthief cats, my Khajit didn't (and still doesn't) give a skeever's ass about the civil war :p

The second playthrough I went out with the Imperial guy.

Vince
Nov 27th, 2012, 06:35:08 AM
Yeah... I lost it. Ralof handed me a bow and some arrows (which coincidentally also overencumbered me) and told me to kill it or sneak past it. I turned around and smacked Ralof a few times because I had to go through my inventory and decide what to throw out, and then I turned around again a few minutes later after learning I could level up doing that and the bear was gone.

I got out of sneaking and wandered up the ledge behind the big rock, and jumped down, on top of the bear, waking it up and in my mind giving my new Khajiit Zhurrul some scars and an embarrassing story.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 27th, 2012, 07:42:29 AM
I played through as Glen, so I just went with the guy who looked like he knew where the pub was. :uhoh

Dragon
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:07:27 PM
Those gorgeous mods in motion:

IDfpCU7eqwA

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:09:28 PM
Holly, what race did you decide on playing? And have you found a preference for what fighting style you're keen on?

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:19:45 PM
The kids picked Imperial for me, and I haven't played again yet. Since its rated M I don't really want to play it in front of the kids again, lol, and I've been really sick since thanksgiving. So far my favorite way to fight is dancing around whoever is trying to fight me and then slashing the air around them.

Sigh :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:24:54 PM
Hahaha yeah that's how I fought my first go-through, which made me lean toward archery. The archery perks are awesome, and I tend towards the sniping aspects of most games that I play.

My second round I went with Imperial like you, and have decided to try and break my snipey tendencies. Settled on two handed, and I have to admit that the more skill you gain makes it much better and easier. Improving weapons helps a lot too :)

Whenever you get a chance, you should take a picture of your character and post it up :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:53:41 PM
Sophie made all the design decisions :p

Vince
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:02:37 AM
Two handed weapons are insanely powerful in Skyrim. Charlie's insane perfectionism got a warhammer to what... 900 damage per hit? I got a battle axe to about 300-400.

This playthrough is gonna be up-front. No sneaking archery (if I can help it), and two handed weapons with light armor (likely Stormcloak though at the moment I'm in a studded armor get up). My friend got a bow to 600 damage or thereabouts before all the modifiers and perks kicked in. I'm hoping to get one to about 400 after mods (Only rule, no daedric weapons and I'm not yet jazzed about the grinding and ingredient-searching I'll have to do).

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:08:17 AM
Yeah, my second playthrough is all about the two-handed. I've made it a point to leave arrows and bows behind when looting.

Halajiin Rabeak
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:46:03 PM
I've played as a Khajiit, and I'm essentially a stealth Howitzer. Heavy armor all the way, with full sneak bonus means nobody ever sees me, and I've min-maxed the living crap out of my gear to give myself a bow that hits for 3866, plus fire and paralysis, and then that gets tripled when I'm shooting from hidden.

I've got plans to min-max and manipulate the system again, soon, to get a 15,000 damage bow. =) That should be fun.

Beware of the kitty.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 24th, 2012, 02:43:12 PM
I've only played twice so far but I completed my first mission of talking to the Jarl, and I gotta new one from the wizard guy. I picked my way into one house, but didn't steal anything. I don't think I will, I'm too paranoid about being caught, lol!

Also having the option to steal EVERYTHING can be tricky when all you're trying to do is talk to the bartender. :uhoh

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 25th, 2012, 06:41:33 AM
^ I have that same problem. I spend about 80% of my time in Skyrim crouching in sneak mode, so I'm glad they made the 'Pickpocket' text that bright red otherwise I'd be trying to steal from people all the time.

Helpfully, I don't think it's until you actually take something out of someone's inventory that it becomes a crime!

Captain Untouchable
Dec 25th, 2012, 09:55:15 AM
I keep having that problem - I try to interact with a merchant, and I accidentally steal one of the items on the counter, right in front of his face.

I tried to kill the woman who owns the bar in Riverwood, but she's bloody immortal. Well, I say "tried to kill". What actually happened was that I pickpocketed her to get an elven dagger, and then sort of got carried away, so she sort of attacked me. Anyhow, I managed to kill her... except she just hunched over and didn't die, then drank a healing potion and got back up again. Is she like... important for a quest or something? Are important NPCs magically immortal?

Vince
Dec 25th, 2012, 10:19:52 AM
I keep having that problem - I try to interact with a merchant, and I accidentally steal one of the items on the counter, right in front of his face.

I tried to kill the woman who owns the bar in Riverwood, but she's bloody immortal. Well, I say "tried to kill". What actually happened was that I pickpocketed her to get an elven dagger, and then sort of got carried away, so she sort of attacked me. Anyhow, I managed to kill her... except she just hunched over and didn't die, then drank a healing potion and got back up again. Is she like... important for a quest or something? Are important NPCs magically immortal?

She's important to the bloody game, Jace. :lol

Same thing with children, and other really important quest characters.

Stealing things and not getting caught doesn't mean getting away with it too, remember. Later, the person you stole from (or killed - yes, killed) may send hired thugs to "teach you a lesson".

I started a new character, using heavy armour, one handed weapons (using a mace at the moment), and a never say die attitude, named Veikko. He'll eventually be a Stormcloak, but I'm still a ways away from there. He's basically an asshole; He befriended Faendal so he could get free archery lessons ("I'm going to use the money to buy new equipment. Of course I'll come back. Yes, this time I'll bring the equipment, but you know that quill is really enchanted!"), and entered Ilinalta's Deep and to ask for directions (I knew he had to kill them anyway, but I enjoyed it all the more for this: "Stop! I just want directions to Whiterun! Don't make me kill you too! Damn it!")

Captain Untouchable
Dec 25th, 2012, 12:31:34 PM
I've already had a bunch of thugs come after me. I killed them, found the bounty letter, and then went and killed the woman who sent them.

Also, I killed Sven the bard because he was annoying. The elf dude in Riverwood sent me a note to say thanks. :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 24th, 2013, 07:18:39 AM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxHbO1MHXuI?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxHbO1MHXuI?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 5th, 2013, 09:07:45 PM
Soooo, who's gonna be picking up Elder Scrolls Online when it comes out?

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 6th, 2013, 11:22:36 AM
I think there's an open beta right now? I'm not playing it though.. no more MMOs

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 6th, 2013, 06:04:45 PM
Yeah, the beta is taking sign-ups, but I'd just rather wait till the game is released. This will be the first MMO I'm actually anticipating and wanting to play :)

Peter McCoy
Feb 8th, 2013, 03:15:25 AM
Given what I currently know about the game, I'll not bother with it. That may change as I learn more but for now I'm just not interested. LOL, I'm not even interested enough to find out more about it.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 8th, 2013, 01:30:03 PM
^ Pretty much. It looks so... same-y.

Park Kraken
Feb 8th, 2013, 02:34:29 PM
It'd be interesting to see how many players they allow in an open enviorement at once. Given how people currently talk about playing Skyrim I could see a heavily trafficed quest/journey area have one guy riding a horse bravely out in the open only to get plugged by about a hundred arrows from different directions, afterwhich you see the grasses and trees rustling with crouched movement all over the place. :mischief

Tristan Alastor
Jun 15th, 2013, 04:11:00 PM
Played a whole lot of Skyrim so far this weekend.

Trying to finish off the Thieves Guild quest-line.

Vince
Jun 15th, 2013, 04:28:44 PM
Played a whole lot of Skyrim so far this weekend.

Trying to finish off the Thieves Guild quest-line.

My friend traded in his Skyrim for the Skyrim Legendary Edition with all the DLC that's come out so far. I've only played Black Ops maybe three times, each for about an hour, in the past two weeks.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 15th, 2013, 04:30:36 PM
I don't have all the DLC yet..

anyone who has played Dragonborn and Dawnguard, are they worth it? I still have like an infinite number of quests to finish in vanilla Skyrim

Vince
Jun 15th, 2013, 06:57:53 PM
I've only delved into Hearthfire so far; I'm waiting to level a bit more (my Khajiit thiefy-scout-type-person is level 20 right now) before I get into Dawnguard and Dragonborn.

Peter McCoy
Jun 21st, 2013, 08:22:55 AM
What mods do you lot use, if any? I'm currently using quite a few:

Faster Cell Respawn - areas such as dungeons respawn after an in-game 24 hours instead of the standard 10 days or 30 if it's a "Cleared" area. In Oblivion is was 3 in-game days.

Sounds of Skyrim: The Dungeons - Adds a host of new sounds to really bring dungeons to life, based on the enemy type that inhabits said dungeon. Also, the exterior weather can be heard from inside the dungeon when you're near the exit.

Sounds of Skyrim: The Wilds - Similar to the Dungeons one above, but for outside. All kinds of new birds and animal and insect sounds have been added to enhance the immersion when you're out and about - these are weather and time-of-day dependent as well.

Humans Drop Human Parts - Given how rare human hearts and human flesh samples are in the game, it frustrated me whenever I kill a human that I don't get such items, along with just how many humans I actually kill on my travels when it comes to bandits and whatnot. Well with this mod, I do!

Alchemy Extended - Basically increases what alchemical ingredients vendors will buy and sell, as well as adds appropriate stock to hunters menu's, such as claws and feathers etc.

JSwords - An awesome mod which adds a tonne of new weapons for you to craft from norse daggers and axes to elegant curved swords and even a gladius. New hammers and axes also appear.

Vals Crafting Meltdown - This one allows you to use the smelter to essentially melt down weapons and armour back into their raw materials at a loss. So you can turn all your looted goodies into crafting materials, as well as revert your crafted goods back into crafting mats to repeat the process for the purpose of levelling. You can also use the tanning rack to revert leather and hide armour into leather pieces.

New Merchants & More - This mod adds 3 new merchants to the game and a Breezehome dog. You can kill the Breezehome dog if you don't want him.

Remember the Mudcrab from Morrowind with 10k gold? This mod adds a merchant with 10,000 gold upstairs in the Bannered Mare in Whiterun. He will buy anything, including stolen goods, but he won't buy quest items. Another merchant can be found in Radiant Raiment in Solitude. She sells clothing items such as Jarl's clothes, Jester clothes, Wedding dress, General Tullius' armor, Ulfric's clothes &amp; more. The last merchant is located in Falkreath Jarl's Longhouse or anywhere Jarl Siddgeir is. She has 5,000 gold and will sell you spell books and scrolls.

All of these merchants are dogs.

Riverwood Lakehouse - Adds a player home across the river from the woodcutting mill in Riverwood, with a bridge leading to it. Quite nice but I've since moved on.

Build Your Own Home - This is my current home, located at/on the waterfall by the abandoned prison just past Valtheim Towers when you follow the river east past Whiterun. Without the mod you'll find a wooden shack crushed by a felled tree and the body of some poor sod called Lucky. With the mod, you find his deed giving you ownership of the surrounding area. You are then able to clear the debris and start building your own home. If you have the Hearthfire DLC this is the same sort of thing on a smaller yet more detailed scale. The house itself is quite modest in size but you can add a basement, upper floor with various options, kitchen area in the basement, secret lair and give it a style such as that befitting a warrior, hunter or mage. Outside you can add a fishing camp, distillery by the waterfall, tanning area and furnace for smelting, an alchemy area with small garden and a combat training area. Once everything is in place it looks really impressive!

Realistic Water Textures - Might swap this for the Pure Waters mod on Droo's recommendation.

Dragon Knowledge Spell - For every 2 Dragon Souls I can get a Perk point. The number of souls required can be altered to increase difficulty.

Sky UI - improved mouse support for the console-centric menu system, as well as adding cool colour icons for items in your lists.

As well as those, I have an app on my phone called SR Alchemy. I input the ingredients I have as well as my alchemy skill level and relevant perks, as well as any alchemy-enhancing enchantments, and it will then tell me what ingredients I should use to achieve desired effects or to make the most cash. I love this and use it constantly! A fantastic gold-earner and it makes you level up alchemy so quickly!

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 21st, 2013, 11:45:05 AM
So far the only ones I've installed are...

Pure Waters - for better looking water textures
Unlimited Bookshelves - lets you actually fill shelves with books (and some other items too)
Player home fast travel - fast travel to player homes in any city
Thieves Guild Mission Door - direct door between Riften graveyard and the Ragged Flaggon

Vince
Jun 22nd, 2013, 11:05:02 AM
SInce I'm playing on the Playstation, I ain't got no mods. Though I will be getting a new computer in the next 3 - 6 months. Hopefully. So I might be able to actually play Skyrim on PC sometime this year.

I murdered Astrid at around level 14 or so, and ten levels on, still haven't changed out of the Dark Brotherhood Armor. Also, one hit killing a troll at level 23 because of the one-handed, dagger, and sneak perks is ridiculous.