PDA

View Full Version : Use Old Embed Code

Captain Untouchable
Nov 8th, 2012, 04:51:10 AM
Over the last few weeks, I've been finding an increasing number of Youtube videos that don't offer the "use old embed code" option. It's a problem I've seen popping up in other places on the internet too, so I'm pretty sure it's not a me being dumb thing. Taking the old embed code from another video and swapping the URL still works, but this unfortunately isn't the most user-friendly option.

I haven't found any official word from Youtube about there being a particular reason: it could be anything from them sneakily trying to phase out the old code to a simple hiccup that'll be fixed... either way, I figured it was worth drawing attention to it.

Perhaps a work-around to get the new code working, and make Fans futureproof?

Crusader
Nov 8th, 2012, 08:52:01 AM
Actually the solution for this is to open the video outside of its playlist.

The You Tube video can't show the old embed code when it is opened in a playlist!

Captain Untouchable
Nov 8th, 2012, 09:52:19 AM
I've been having it on videos that aren't in a playlist, unfortunately.

Crusader
Nov 8th, 2012, 09:59:25 AM
Always check your bar at the end of the screen. Sometimes you are in one without noticing.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 8th, 2012, 10:14:11 AM
I did. Whenever I find that the embed code doesn't work, I strip out all of the extraneous stuff from the address bar, and try reloading the video from the pure URL: no playlists, no "start at time code x" stuff. I'm still coming across the problem, and from scouting around the internet looking for an explanation, it seems that I'm not the only person coming across it either.

Edit:

For example, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjighCDPt-k) video that I linked in the Awesome Videos Thread this morning. I am in no playlists, and am going directly to the URL without any extra stuff in the address bar, and for me it is not providing the old embed code option. However, when I pasted the URL into the old embed code, it worked.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 8th, 2012, 01:20:11 PM
It's a pity that YouTube is phasing out the old code, since the new one uses Iframes. I know that for the longest time now we've banned Iframes, I think because you can effectively force someone to look at any old webpage with an Iframe (e.g. someone could post an Iframe link to a malicious site, or a site with inappropriate content) and the Iframe would automatically load this page in a thread on 'Fans.

At least, that was always my understanding of it. I think the Chrises probably are better equipped to answer this one.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 8th, 2012, 04:22:14 PM
I'd always assumed that iframes just wouldn't work with our software... didn't even realise you could ban specific bits of html. :uhoh

In that case, will vBulletin let the Chrises add in their own BB code? In theory, you might be able to create a [youtube] code/tag/thingy where you stick in the video URL, and it'll slap the rest of the new embed code around it. I've done something similar (though admittedly less sophisticated) in the past, though I think that was on phpBB rather than vBulletin - no idea how the functionality/etc matches up, and I've no idea if that would jive with having iframes disallowed.

Edit:

If vBulletin works anything like phpBB3, this (https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/adding-custom-bbcodes-in-phpbb3) is how you'd do it. Hell, if the old embed code still works and youtube is just phasing it out as a selectable option, you could set up a [youtube] tag using the object / old embed code, and just have us paste in the url.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 9th, 2012, 01:20:47 PM
bjighCDPt-k

test

EDIT: okay, so hay that works pretty well! Thanks for the handy link :) I've posted an announcement to let people know that this exists now.

Crusader
Nov 10th, 2012, 07:54:43 AM
zXFYLS5_OyY

Crusader
Nov 10th, 2012, 07:56:41 AM
OK works but I think the pages show some kind of slow downs now on firefox.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 10th, 2012, 07:57:37 AM
What do you mean?