PDA

View Full Version : B.C. Earthquake

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:34:50 AM
We're under tsunami warnings right now. Just want to know if Kaman is ok!! The news said there are no news of injuries or damage in BC, but....

When I say "we" I mean the Oregon coast, which I do not live by.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:46:06 AM
What the hell, America. Your weather is crazy lately.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 28th, 2012, 11:00:30 AM
I guess that earthquake was pretty far from Victoria, but when I first heard about the quake the news was all "7.7 EARTHQUAKE IN B.C. TSUNAMI WARNINGS DANGER DANGER"

Then they did the in depth part where the quake was in the middle of nowhere. I guess Hawaii saw a tsunami wave of about two feet?

Ilias Nytrau
Oct 28th, 2012, 11:51:04 PM
I didn't feel a thing, as the quake was in the waters a ways off the coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands. It was too far off and where I'm situated on my island (southern tip of Vancouver Island), there was never a chance of a tsunami warning at any rate and there was no damage that I could see from poking around the internets.

The funny part is that we just had a province-wide earthquake drill the other week. :lol

Tear
Oct 29th, 2012, 02:20:34 AM
Felt nothing.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 29th, 2012, 11:41:19 PM
You're a cold, unfeeling robot though, Tear. :colbert

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 30th, 2012, 05:07:42 PM
I guess that earthquake was pretty far from Victoria, but when I first heard about the quake the news was all "7.7 EARTHQUAKE IN B.C. TSUNAMI WARNINGS DANGER DANGER"

Another case of the news over-hyping something I guess?

Ilias Nytrau
Oct 30th, 2012, 05:20:18 PM
Absolutely. Oh and Victoria is probably fucked as far as earthquakes and tsunamis are concerned. Warning sirens are futile, since because of our wonderful geographical placement, the earthquake itself is the best warning and the tsunami would come quick, as far as I've read. We're not directly exposed to the open ocean.

Ahnk Rashanagok
Nov 1st, 2012, 04:15:50 AM
If nothing else this earthquake taught me that the Queen Charlotte Islands are no longer islands, but instead an archipelago officially named the Haida Gwaii. I always thought archipelago was a way to play a guitar.

Ilias Nytrau
Nov 1st, 2012, 01:19:06 PM
Pish-posh. They're still islands.

They just renamed them to appease the indians.

Er, natives.

Uh, native indians.

Uhhhh.... aboriginals?

|I

Nobody ever accused me of being PC. :rolleyes

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2012, 02:30:26 PM
An archipelago is a group of islands. Like... Hawaii.