PDA

View Full Version : Red Sand

Captain Untouchable
Sep 27th, 2012, 11:29:56 AM
You know that cool-looking Mass Effect fan film starring Mark Meer?

It comes out on 7th October, and there's gonna be a big internet event type premiere thingy. :ohno

Linky (https://www.facebook.com/events/422979084427324/)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 27th, 2012, 03:26:30 PM
Gonna watch the hell out of this if I can figure out what time it's on at

But seriously, what the fuck is the MST timezone?

Captain Untouchable
Sep 27th, 2012, 05:15:24 PM
It's Mountain Standard Time (GMT-7)... the one between Central (GMT-6) and Pacific (GMT-8). I would guess that's the time zone for Edmonton (since that's where BioWare and Casa del Meer is) if you want to find it with your iphone or something.

So... 4pm-6pm MST should translate to about 11pm-1am for us, I think?

Edit:

Vaguely related trivia fact I just learned - the state of Arizona, which falls in the MST time zone, doesn't observe daylight savings. Their clocks are the same all year round. Pretty sure knowing that will end up saving my life one day.

Emelie Shadowstar
Sep 27th, 2012, 06:20:36 PM
Oh I'm SO down for this if my internet is up and running then. You know...pretty much because I'm a whore for anything Mass Effect nowadays. <3

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 7th, 2012, 10:11:39 AM
So who's going to be around to watch this live? :)

Captain Untouchable
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:27:45 PM
As if you needed to ask. :mischief

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:31:05 PM
I'm debating whether I am stupid/reckless enough to make strong coffee now and force myself to stay awake for this

Charley
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:56:58 PM
I'll be here, especially since tomorrow is a bank holiday and I give no damns.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 7th, 2012, 05:32:12 PM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yOAZux8ip8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yOAZux8ip8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Captain Untouchable
Oct 7th, 2012, 05:51:25 PM
Not bad, bearing in mind it's basically a piece of college coursework!

The special effects for the biotics were a touch cheesy, but they had some really cool style ideas - I like all the heads-up technology on the helmets, and the idea of the Prothean ruins having a psychic interface is a really cool idea: I've always wondered how that kind of stuff would work.

Also, maybe I'm just dumb, but I never made the Red Sand / Mars connection before now: I always just assumed it it was a name, but introducing the drug at that stage makes the whole "accidental exposure" origin for biotics like Kaiden make sense - people already know that Ez exposure gives biotic powers.

I didn't get a Sheppard vibe from Grissom at all either, aside from the fact that he was a grenade-slinging badass. Maybe it's because we heard him "in the flesh" at Dragon*Con, or maybe it's because I'm so used to recognising voice actors - I was more "Oh hey, it's Mark Meer" rather than "Oh hey, it's Sheppard's voice".