PDA

View Full Version : New original IP coming from BioWare... but what is it?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 18th, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
http://kotaku.com/5944298/bioware-building-a-universe-beyond-mass-effect-and-dragon-age

:ohno

Captain Untouchable
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:15:40 PM
What ever it is, my money is on it being some sort of heavily-voiced roleplay game that provides the player with an assortment of characters to choose from, and a variety of morality choices that allows them to radically alter the way that the (extremely well-written) story plays out. ;)

Sarcasm aside... I hope that's what it is. Bioware games are practically a subgenre unto themselves. It'd suck if they got pressured into doing something different.

Crusader
Sep 19th, 2012, 02:23:16 AM
OK they have a dark high fantasy setting and a Sci-Fi Setting. So my guess is they make an Urban Fantasy setting next (with teenage Vampires and Werewolves... you know they have to make money since SWTOR bombed).

I just hope they don't go for post apocalypse or steam punk. Well if done right I might be OK with a zombie apocalypse game.

Ideas that would be awesome but not really possible:
-alternate history roleplaying game set in the antiquity (Romans, Greek,...), during the crusades or the French Revolution
-a "Heart of Darkness" / "Apocalypse Now"/"Inglorious Basterds" like RPG

Why don't we all come up with other RPG setting ideas and start a collection here while we are waiting for a real anouncement?

Captain Untouchable
Sep 19th, 2012, 02:43:57 AM
Some sort of Wild West setting could potentially fit in pretty well with the Bioware template.

You've got various origin stories (which side of the war did your character fight on?), and the kind of mysterious / amnesia / referred to by an alias trope from Westerns is something that would fit pretty well with a Bioware style game. You've got the possibility of throwing in Native Americans, Mexicans, token black former slave guy, and all that jazz as companion characters. There's potential for a variety of classes - are you a gunslinger, a rifleman, a brawler, etc. And of course, because of the whole wasteland scenario, it's very easy to have isolated pockets of civilization where the quests would happen spread out over a large area, using steam trains / wagon trains / mounting on your horse to travel between them.

That said, it's probably stepping on Fallout territory a little too much, and it would have to be set in the "real world", which isn't something Bioware has done yet.

Some sort of supernatural thing like Peter suggests would be pretty cool though. Either that and/or superpowers - that's the other big fanbase that they haven't plundered yet, and some sort of Avengers/Justice League motif would be a great way to justify all the requisite Bioware companions and what-not.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 19th, 2012, 12:45:12 PM
I'd like to see them do something similar to Jade Empire again... at least partly based in a real-world mythology.