PDA

View Full Version : Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Droo
Aug 25th, 2012, 02:23:36 PM
Today the world lost one of its heroes. Apparently, he passed away from complications following a heart surgery earlier this month. Such sad news, but what a legacy.

From BBC News:

US astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man to set foot on the Moon, has died at the age of 82. His family says he died from complications from heart surgery he had earlier this month. He walked on the Moon on 20 July 1969, famously describing the event as "one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind". Last November Armstrong received the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest US civilian award. He was the commander of the Apollo 11 spacecraft. He and fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin spent nearly three hours walking on the moon. The mission was his last space flight. He left the US space agency Nasa to teach aeronautics in 1971.

'Reluctant hero'

Born in 1930 and raised in Ohio, Armstrong took his first flight aged six with his father and formed a lifelong passion for flying. He flew Navy fighter jets during the Korean War in the 1950s, and joined the US space programme in 1962. Correspondents say Armstrong remained modest and never allowed himself to be caught up in the glamour of space exploration.

"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer," he said in February 2000, in a rare public appearance.

In a statement, his family praised him as a "reluctant American hero"who had "served his nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut".

Obituary: Neil Armstrong (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11162858)

Charley
Aug 25th, 2012, 02:27:35 PM
I hate the abuse and watering down of the brand of the word "Hero", but this is one of those very few times where it fits.

If I had an American flag, I'd fly it for this man. Godspeed!

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 25th, 2012, 02:37:06 PM
It's not often I find myself crying when I hear about someone 'famous' dying, but this time... :(

CMJ
Aug 25th, 2012, 02:40:07 PM
Sad that all the original astronauts are getting up there in age. It's gonna be a rough few years.

Darth Turbogeek
Aug 26th, 2012, 04:19:33 AM
One of the very few whose passing I will mourn. I would in all honesty swap life to do what he did.

He walked on the Goddamn Moon! Who wouldn't want to do that?

What a great man, he and his fellows in Apollo 11. I actually got to meet Buzz Aldrin, what an experience that was!

Rutabaga
Aug 26th, 2012, 09:47:20 AM
The fact that Neil Armstrong did something so revolutionary yet remained so humble is astonishing. A great adventurer, and a great hero.

RIP, sir. you will be missed. :cry

Emelie Shadowstar
Aug 26th, 2012, 11:33:09 AM
:( Heard about this yesterday... yeah, very sad. But wow, what an amazing life as well. He will be missed that's for sure.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 27th, 2012, 10:38:41 PM
I can only vaguely imagine what it would have been like to climb atop a Saturn 5 and get shot into space to walk on our nearest significant celestial object.

Before you die, everyone should see Kennedy Space Center or similar to just drink in the scope of that rocket.

He and very few other men rode into an incredibly hostile environment on hundreds of thousands of pounds of explosives in the name of human achievement and exploration.

Godspeed.