PDA

View Full Version : Justice League (2015)

Captain Untouchable
Aug 8th, 2012, 08:08:32 PM
So, apparently Ben Affleck is pretty high up on WB's list to direct this. :|

Linky (http://www.showblitz.com/2012/08/warner-bros-approaching-ben-affleck-for-justice-league-directing-job.html)

Since he likes being in front of the camera when he directs, there's apparently a chance that he'd be a member of the Justice League as well.

I dunno if it's just the reporter missing out names, but the article also only mentions five heroes as being "expected" to be part of it. The Justice League is usually founded by seven people, with Martian Manhunter and (usually) Aquaman missing from the list. I hope that WB doesn't wuss out and axe Aquaman from the team: his environment-specific powers distract from the fact that Batman has no powers at all, and there's enough potential (in the comics at least) for a really badass post-Nolan take on the character.

Halajiin Rabeak
Aug 8th, 2012, 10:00:21 PM
Just as long as we don't get that absolutely terrible Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern, and GL has a proper suit, not that CGI garbage.

Aquaman could be awesome if it's the one written by Kurt Busiek. Even the Punisher would have thought twice about messing with that Aquaman.

Captain Untouchable
Aug 8th, 2012, 11:32:38 PM
Meh. Ryan Reynolds wasn't a bad Green Lantern. A bad Hal Jordan perhaps, but as an amalgam to introduce a broader audience to the concept of what the Green Lantern is, he got the job done. The movie introduced people to the idea of ring constructs and the Corps, and it was a good practice / proving ground for the kinds of effects that any future GL adaptions will need to build on. There is quite a lot of salvageable content in that movie... they just made a few bad calls along the way. It's like the Ang Lee version of the Hulk, which wasn't great but laid the groundwork that eventually led to Mark Ruffalo.

Keeping up the Hulk comparison, I hope they go for a "soft reset", rather than something full-blown. If they go with Hal Jordan, I think it'd be interesting to have a slightly "older" version - someone with the charm and swagger that Nathan Fillion brings to his voice performances in Emerald Knights and Justice League: Doom. The movie already has Flash for it's quips and quick banter; having a suave Hal would be a good compliment to that.

I've heard it suggested that they go with John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan. Personally I'd rather they didn't: I think that'd lead to too much gruff and stoic professionalism. For lack of a better comparison, they need a Tony Stark.

Halajiin Rabeak
Aug 9th, 2012, 04:16:13 PM
Well, that and the John Stewart that everyone knows now is NOT the John Stewart from the comics, as that one was the worst worst-written character in comics ever, and the second worst GL, right behind Kyle, who there is no excuse for.

I'd be all for Nathan Fillion as Hal, as I wanted him to play Hal in the first place. But they need the correct uniform. Absolutely need the correct uniform.

Captain Untouchable
Aug 9th, 2012, 05:11:21 PM
I think the First Flight / Emerald Knights version (http://toonbarn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DC-releases-New-Green-Lantern-Emerald-Knights-Trailer.jpg) of the uniform could translate pretty well to live action. Instead of the retro white gloves, it features the John Stewart / Kyle Raynor style bracers: but it still has a lot of the "correct" uniform in there.

The full-on traditional suit would work if we were going to have Batman in grey and Superman in spandex... but in a post-Nolan setting it could do with a couple of modernising tweaks here or there, so that it looks like a "uniform" rather than a "costume".

I'd be more worried about the Flash and Wonder Woman costumes. Whoever ends up having to try and redesign those costumes so they'll match with the Man of Steel and (presumably) Nolan-style Batman is going to have one damned unenviable task.

Halajiin Rabeak
Aug 9th, 2012, 09:46:14 PM
Anything related to Kyle is heresy and will not be tolerated. The white gloves give Hal class! He has to have them, full stop.

And, though most people hated it, I sort of liked the new Wonder Woman costume with the jeans and jacket. But it has to have an absolutely impeccable cut and fit to it.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 11th, 2012, 04:57:45 AM
Joseph Gordon Levitt does not say no to playing Batman in the Justice League movie:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/thecq/news/?a=67011

EDIT: Apparently this is being filmed in 2013 and released in 2015

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-justice-league-superman-20121018,0,6421111.story

They're doing a reverse Avengers, and using Justice League as a starting point for a number of characters (it seems) rather than establishing them first in their own movies and *then* teaming them up.

Glen Fiddich
Nov 2nd, 2012, 01:38:53 AM
I think that's what they were planning to do originally - the whole intro the team, then spin off solo stories - since way back when Marvel first announced it's Avengers plans. Then they changed their minds to match the Avengers formula... and now back again. It may well have changed several more times in the middle somewhere. >_<

I think it's the right way to go for the Justice League. It would be very easy to spin a story where Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter have yet to make their public debut: having Diana leave Themyscira to help save the world is a good way of dodging the "quest to man's world" bullet in her origin story, among other advantages. Green Lantern doesn't need to be on Earth in order to do his stuff; and both Batman and Flash could conceivably be local enough to not have any real national acclaim (a la Tim Burton's Batman).

There's a lot of speculation that they'd have to ignore Man of Steel to make it work, since MOS is apparently aiming for a "the only superhero in the world" vibe. I think they could pull it off though: Superman could easily be the catalyst that brings all the other superheroes out of the woodwork. I could also see the Arrow series on CW aligning quite well: given that Marvel is working on a SHIELD series, it wouldn't surprise me if Warner tries to compete with the Avengers franchise on two fronts.