PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad - a tale of humanity failing

Morgan Evanar
Jun 27th, 2012, 11:51:16 AM
Am I the only person who follows this show? It's one of the best things put on TV in the last 10 years. It's the failure of America portrayed in Albuquerque, NM through a PhD high school chemistry teacher who discovers he has late-stage lung cancer, his family, and his former druggy/dealer student.

It's so good.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 27th, 2012, 12:26:35 PM
I have it on my Netflix queue and I've been loving it. Best drama since The Shield and The Wire

Mu Satach
Jun 28th, 2012, 10:49:30 PM
I was watching it pretty regularly up until about mid season 4 - life interrupted the viewing schedule.

been kind of wondering what happened to Walter and Jesse

was heart broken by Season 2 and what happened to Jane

Darth Turbogeek
Jun 29th, 2012, 06:18:59 AM
Am I the only person who follows this show? It's one of the best things put on TV in the last 10 years. It's the failure of America portrayed in Albuquerque, NM through a PhD high school chemistry teacher who discovers he has late-stage lung cancer, his family, and his former druggy/dealer student.

It's so good.

It's on ABC here and I do see it now and then.

It must lose a lot in the cultural translation as it just seems so..... I dunno... odd? THere's not a lot we Aussie can relate to easily to gain an understanding of the show as it really seems like a show about drug makers and not much more than that. Certainly any social commentary it may have is lost to me.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 29th, 2012, 08:30:56 AM
You don't have meth labs in Australia?

Darth Turbogeek
Jun 29th, 2012, 07:22:03 PM
You don't have meth labs in Australia?

Not really. You might get the odd party pill lab busted but that's like literally once a month across the entire country. Most illicit drugs come imported from SE Asia rather than home grown.

We also don't have the socio-economic issues that make such labs proliferate, esp in the last decade where the areas that have typically been jobless holes that could be a place where desperate poor people turn to drug manufacture have co-incidentally been places where mineral wealth is. So thence as the rest of the Western hemisphere has suffered recession and in some areas depression, Australia is at 4.9% unemployment and lots of areas screaming for workers.

There are problems or course, Australian housing for instance is insane but the issues Breaking Bad may want to address just in the main don't have any significance here. And thence they dont translate well.

Or I'm just talking out my ass because I'm surprised that Chris and I do have respectably similar taste in TV and I haven't really thought much of this show at all. I'm clearly missing something here.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:55:28 PM
You also have universal health care which erases one of the main issues the show is built on.