PDA

View Full Version : Saint Tarkin class Heavy Cruiser

Park Kraken
Jun 15th, 2012, 07:34:03 AM
Here's another design I had previously submitted directly to wiki that should probably be reviewed. An Imperial version of the Rebel Assault Frigate, aka a modified Dreadnought, although the rebuild is more extensive to provide a more powerful ship.

http://www.sw-fans.net/wiki/index.php?title=Saint_Tarkin_class_Heavy_Cruisers

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 15th, 2012, 11:31:45 AM
That turbolaser count is way too high for a ship that size, IMO. It's like xzibit on Pimp My Starship. "Yo dawg, I heard you like turbolasers, so we put a turbolaser on top of a turbolaser!"

Reshmar
Jun 15th, 2012, 11:48:32 AM
Ok isssue....
bout to throw some information on ya.

The "upgraded dreadnaught (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnaught-class_heavy_cruiser)" have 15 Turbolaser batteries. standard battery is 5 cannons. thats 75 turbolasers.
plus
15 mor turbolaser cannons

total 90 turbolaser cannons
plus
20 quad light turbolaser cannons

your talking
60 double heavy turbolaser cannons. 2 to a mount thats 120 heavy turbolaser cannons
and
20 quad laser cannons

I can see the 36 fighters in the ventral prow thingie. but that many heavy turbolasers is a problem. A dread is a skinny ship. 116 meters. also a short ship 126 meters. its like a square paper towel roll.

I think it would be better to stick to batteries of 5. just to make the best out of surface area. 20 Heavy turbolaser batteries looks much better to people who dont know alot of design dynamics and also gives you 100 heavy turbolaser cannons. 20 Turbolaser batteries and 20 Quad laser cannons gives it a more novice starship design person friendly look and keeps the ship pretty much the same.

Park Kraken
Jun 15th, 2012, 03:43:04 PM
I was adding additional area to the Dreadnought to make up for a lack of surface space, but I'd rather reduce the turbolasers from "heavy" to normal weapons to account for the numbers. Due to the nature of the Rebellion and the tactics employed by starfighters, a larger number of mounts to engage more targets and prevent from being destroyed en masse from starfighter attacks or being knocked out by ion cannons was desired.

EDIT: I do have an idea for a revamped design. Move the hangar entrance ventrally between the wings, extend the bow another 50 meters for a more pointed apperance, and revise the armament to a concentrated battery forward of 5 Heavy Turbolaser Batteries, with 30 Dual Turbolaser Cannons scattered around the rest of the ship in case the main battery gets knocked out, keeping the 20 Quads for point defense against starfighters and missiles.

Reshmar
Jun 15th, 2012, 05:20:19 PM
As for the Name... I think Saint Tarkin is too regal a name for a Heavy Cruiser. It should be the name of an Allegiance class or Imp III. Such a striking name on such a small vessel is just blasphemy.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 18th, 2012, 05:16:28 PM
I'm with Resh. This thing seems like a tank; maybe play off of that and class it something like Dozer-class or Hulk-class? Something that says "I'm big and can ruin your day quite easily".

Park Kraken
Jun 18th, 2012, 11:02:00 PM
Point taken. How about Dreadhammer? I'll make the modifications when I finish the work week (Thursday).

Reshmar
Jun 18th, 2012, 11:38:50 PM
Its like a dreadnaught and its like a hammer so yeah thats cool