PDA

View Full Version : Smile Revamp

Crusader
Jun 13th, 2012, 07:34:01 AM
I have got 2 Items I would like to discuss maybe people feel about it the same way or it is not an issue for them at all:

1. Maybe we should one day rework our smiles. I think 50% of them are not used at all and others might be replaced by "better" versions. Maybe even make some polls about which ones we want to add, keep, rework or destroy.

Personlly I would like to see the "standard" smiles all in the same design but as a corporate whore/slave I am a big sucker for using an unified corporate design on everything.

2. Alternate ways to trigger smiles. I write a lot of my posts with my smartphone lately which has got a wide range of smiles that I just have to click on instead of actually writting them but they wont be transfered into smiles on the forums while on the other hand every time I want to post flight dates I accidently trigger smilies when I write 7:30 but instead I meant 7:30

If the smile was triggered by :-3 instead of :3 this would not be an issue.

Atreyu
Jun 13th, 2012, 08:29:50 AM
The obvious reason for the somewhat random designs of the smilies is due to the differing sources - from recollection only :) :( :D :cool :mad and :huh came with the board software, with the rest being sourced from elsewhere.

One area I think could be improved at the very least is double-ups - I thinking in particular smilies such as O_o and o_O; I also tend to see :p and :mneh as fairly interchangeable as well.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 13th, 2012, 09:39:02 AM
Making the smiley code require a : before and after is probably the easiest fix to the accidental smiley problem. :3: for instance.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 13th, 2012, 10:10:15 AM
Looking through that list of smilies, I'm thankful we don't have SA proportions, heh.

Dumping multiples is a good idea.

Going through things, here is my list for removal:
:mneh
O_o
:clap
:darkangel
:evil
:idea
:ninja
:sam
:pirate

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 13th, 2012, 11:18:38 AM
Not the pirate! :eek

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 13th, 2012, 01:15:45 PM
Alright people, post whichever smilies you think are redundant and we will have a cull >D

Droo
Jun 13th, 2012, 01:30:06 PM
O_o
:duel
:evil
:idea
:mneh
:10bux
:caek
:clap
:darkangel
:stupid

Some for duplicates. Some for pure lack of relevance/usage. And others because I think they look a bit naff.

PS. Include in my list the ninja, the samurai, and the five dollars smilies. I couldn't include them due to a ten smilie limit.

Atreyu
Jun 13th, 2012, 07:11:20 PM
Oh please yes, get rid of :clap, or at least find a replacement. I've never been able to look at it straight ever since somebody (Nup?) suggested years ago it looked like someone masturbating. >_<

No complaints on any of the suggested removals, although I'll admit I actually prefer using O_o and would rather remove o_O (the latter looks somewhat annoyed/irritated which doesn't convey the right feeling to me).

Atreyu
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:14:20 AM
Noticed there's been a cull, however was the 'uhoh' smilie meant to be removed (never used it much myself, but no one proposed it to be removed AFAIK)? Also noted that the :mneh smilie is still there even though nearly everyone suggested it for removal.

Serena Laran
Jun 20th, 2012, 12:08:36 PM
Yes, some sort of communication as to what's been removed and what has an alternate text used to trigger it would be nice.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 20th, 2012, 01:41:21 PM
The only smilie which has alternate text is :3: - everything else is still the same. It's not possible to have more than one text trigger for a smilie, so things like :mneh and O_o are just gone.

You can see which ones have been removed, or rather which ones are left, by clicking the 'More' button under the smilies panel on the Reply page.

TheHolo.Net
Jun 21st, 2012, 04:49:13 PM
You can see which ones have been removed, or rather which ones are left, by clicking the 'More' button under the smilies panel on the Reply page.Or you can click on this <a href="/forum/misc.php?do=showsmilies">Link to smilies</a>.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:45:46 PM
That too :D