PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Ray Bradbury

Halajiin Rabeak
Jun 6th, 2012, 01:46:06 PM
I've just learned that Ray Bradbury passed away yesterday, at the age of 91. If you aren't familiar with him, he is the author of Farenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and countless other science-fiction/science-fantasy books and stories. One of only a handful of science-fiction writers to be taken seriously, he made a huge impact on the world of science-fiction as we know it today, as well as making a huge impact on the world, overall.

I had the fortune of meeting him at Comic Con in 2007, and got to speak with him for about five minutes. He was a very blunt, by friendly man, and I won't forget talking about the writing process with him. My deepest regret is that I didn't have something for him to sign, with me, as I didn't know he was going to be there. But when I admitted that I didn't have anything to sign, he actually smiled and said, "Then that means you came over here to talk, and that's more important than just getting an autograph, isn't it?"

It really was, and I wish I could have talked with him longer. We both seemed to write in the same fashion, just letting it come out and looking back on it later as if it was the first time we'd ever seen it, and were surprised with our own work. He will be sorely missed in the world of science-fiction, and it was a great honor to have met him that one time.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 6th, 2012, 03:20:40 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/dvsyzo.jpg
http://io9.com/5916344/letters-from-ray-bradbury-love-what-you-love

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 6th, 2012, 03:40:00 PM
I need to read more of his books, but I have read the Martian Chronicles. Amazing that he lived so long, he will be missed.

That is great that you got to meet him, Mitch. :)

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 6th, 2012, 03:43:30 PM
I read Farenheit 451 when I was a very wee lass.... got me hooked into Sci-fi honestly and was saddened to hear he passed. Lucky you truly are Mitch :)

Darth Turbogeek
Jun 6th, 2012, 05:38:05 PM
A rare man who's passing truly leaves the world a poorer place.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 6th, 2012, 06:27:27 PM
It's always sad to see those who inspire you leave :(

Rutabaga
Jun 6th, 2012, 08:50:05 PM
One of the greatest writers (of any genre) in American history. He was also great in interviews, I always enjoyed listening to what he had to say.

Definitely a big loss. :(