PDA

View Full Version : SHIELD Helicarrier

General John Heller
May 9th, 2012, 08:37:57 PM
It goes without saying that SHIELD normally has a Helicarrier. Every incarnation of the organisation - be it comics, cartoons, or even live action movies - has at least one; often more. The Helicarrier is as integral to SHIELD as Nick Fury's eyepatch.

However, we don't have a Nick Fury, and General Heller doesn't have an eyepatch.

The Avengers movie gave us a Helicarrier that seems plausible enough if you're wearing your superhero movie suspension of disbelief glasses. However, that's in a world where Tony Stark is kept alive by magnets and has special boots that let him fly, and where Steve Rogers was preserved for seventy years like a box of fish fingers.

Personally, I would like to see SHIELD with a Helicarrier. From a story perspective, a mobile base for SHIELD / the Avengers is a phenomenally useful plot device. Treadstone Industries (our answer to Stark Industries, who built the Helicarrier in at least some of the comic and cartoon appearences) has a particular flair for helicopter stuff in particular; and we do have some advanced technologies kicking around the place, thanks to the likes of Vanguard and Jericho. And with SHIELD being analagous to NATO, there are various projects and schemes in the real world that could justify the internationally-financed construction of a Helicarrier/s (the E-3 Sentry, Joint Strike Fighter, etc).

However, I realise that giant flying boats might be a bit much for some people to swallow, and I don't want to annoy people or break their perception of the RP universe by adding one in.

Is anyone strongly opposed to the idea of SHIELD having one? Mildly disgruntled at the prospect? Sitting on the fence until they hear more details/justification?

Park Kraken
May 10th, 2012, 08:31:05 PM
Jumping in right quick on a technical aspect, the Helicarrier in the Avengers movie was basically a Nimitz sized carrier, and is probably nuclear powered, with a cost of around 25 billion USD or so. An Amphibious Assault Ship, Arc Reactor Powered, would be smaller and substantially cheaper, yet still able to fulfill all the roles of a helicarrier.

Reshmar
May 10th, 2012, 08:46:25 PM
You could pick up something like the Tarawa or Saipan cheep from the decomissioned yard slap an arch reactor in it and some turbofans on it.
But it would not be as cool.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 10th, 2012, 08:48:11 PM
Maybe if we give it a bitchin' paint job. Slap some flames on it. :cool

Reshmar
May 10th, 2012, 08:57:41 PM
You will need fuzzy dice!

Captain Untouchable
May 10th, 2012, 11:00:56 PM
This isn't fleeting. Scram. :twak

In all seriousness, working out the technical schematics isn't the purpose of this thread. All I'm concerned about at this point is whether people have any objections to the principle.

If we ever need to work out specs, that can come later. Much later. :uhoh

Droo
May 10th, 2012, 11:37:23 PM
I have no issues at all with it. I'm happy to accept that our characters exist in a world where more technologically advanced hardware is readily available to the right people.

Saladin
May 11th, 2012, 11:35:19 AM
What a lovely, great big target you're giving us! :evil

Seriously, the more you've done with SHIELD, the more I've been liking the idea. I say take the idea and run with it. It could be a recipe for some great RP set pieces.

Robyn Lockhart
May 11th, 2012, 12:26:30 PM
*does a happy dance* Needless to say, I'm totally enamored of the idea :D

Morgan Evanar
May 13th, 2012, 10:27:40 PM
Helicarriers are cool.

Morgan Evanar
May 13th, 2012, 10:28:07 PM
Seriously do we need anything more than that?

Lilaena De'Ville
May 13th, 2012, 10:39:54 PM
Bitchin paint job :colbert

No, really, I think we can just say "yes let's do this" and we're good. Right?