PDA

View Full Version : A (spoiler-free!) Avengers-inspired Idea

General John Heller
May 3rd, 2012, 02:52:54 PM
I have watched the Avengers twice now, and I am planning to watch it again for a third time today. It is a brilliantly told story... but it focuses on a kind of superhero action that we don't have right now in Mutants Unite, and that's a shame I think.

We do a lot of socio-political stuff. We have gang fights. We have government conspiracies. We've got the Brotherhood of Mutants, who are international terrorists, but we don't really see much of what they do in other countries. And we certainly don't have any out-and-out supervillains, who plan to take over <insert local="" city="">{insert local city}, and then, the world!

General Heller here has been set up to lead SHIELD, as part of the Britain arc. He's going to represent the "you can't do that" voice of the international community when Britain goes all 1984 on the public: but potentially, he could do more.

What I'd like to do is have an "Avengers Initiative" of sorts, that acts as an on-demand all-star team. There might be some permanent members/agents who are on the SHIELD payroll (like Black Widow, Hawkeye, etc), while others are consultants brought in to help because of their particular skill set (Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, etc). It would be a "who is up for a thread" / "okay, you guys are the team" type deal... and it wouldn't necessarily detract from other things that people were getting up to.

Maybe you're a member of the X-Men, and can offer some insight on Saladin and the Brotherhood when SHIELD goes after one of his cells. Maybe you're a scientist-come-vigilante, and can help out if SHIELD is going after a group of high-tech cyberterrorists. Perhaps SHIELD is going after terrorists in East Asia and needs the help of a former North Korean operative, or wants to take down the tyrant ruling a small Eastern European country and needs the help of the teleporting daughter of a Swiss diplomat. Maybe you're a Brotherhood terrorist, but you have skills that SHIELD vitally needs taking down a bigger, badder threat.

Or maybe you're a totally new character, who has been making a big name for themselves in some other city or some other country.

I have an assortment of ideas for specific potential enemies: some totally new, and some which are twists on Marvel lore. If anyone would be interested in this, make a noise. If you would like to know more about some of the specific baddies I have in mind (to see if they pique your interests), then feel free to ask away about that too. :)

And if anyone wants Michael Ironside to show up and do a Nick Fury after-credits scene with one of their characters, just let me know. ;)</insert>

Tear
May 3rd, 2012, 03:26:04 PM
Appreciate the spoiler free tag. I was hesitant to read.;) You know I'm in.

Syn
May 3rd, 2012, 03:39:10 PM
You *know* I'm in :eee

Dragon
May 3rd, 2012, 06:18:54 PM
I think this idea has loads of potential, and I love the fluid team structure you have in mind. Dragon will definitely be up for a couple missions!

José Luis Flores
May 3rd, 2012, 07:20:59 PM
Depending on the mission, and where José is at the time (things are still kind of fluid surrounding where he'll be in the future), it could be interesting to have him do somethings along with this. Hell, he doesn't even need to go through normal channels to get there; just a "I'm going to see Grandma!" *soundeffectforquantumrealityfolding* "Hey Grannie!"

Chartis
May 4th, 2012, 01:23:01 AM
This sounds like a brilliantly fun, creatively inspiring idea. Sign me up. ;)

Michael Beckett
May 4th, 2012, 06:50:51 AM
Stealth roll-call!

Hello, my name is Michael Beckett. I'm also Canadian (sorry), and was a Sergeant with special forces until I was seconded to SHIELD back in '06. I don't have any crazy powers or anything... I fly planes, I jump out of planes, and I shoot things with guns. Complicated, I am not.

I also have a sweet beard, dontcha think?

Robyn Lockhart
May 4th, 2012, 07:14:37 AM
*eyes Michael & shakes her head*

Hallo, everyone. My name is Robyn Lockhart and I'm half Scottish, half Norwegian (Dad and Mom, respectively). A Lieutenant in the FSK, I was seconded to SHIELD in '06, shortly after Beckett there. My mutation involves fast reflexes and absolutely perfect aim, which is useful considering I shoot things with whatever gun is at hand, or my favorite carbon-fiber bow.

Captain Dan Myers
May 4th, 2012, 07:31:34 AM
On an outer space adventure, I was hit by cosmic rays; I got shot through a wormhole, and now I'm in some distant part of a parallel universe - where it's the same year, and I'm the same person, but everything else is different.

My name is Dan Myers, and I'm from a post-apocalyptic Earth where mutant extremists have taken over half the world. I'm a mutant myself, but I used to be a leader with the resistance, but now... I'm nothing. I'm a tourist. Everyone I know, everything I know is all wrong. It's all different.

Kansas doesn't eveh have a hockey team in this screwed up universe. I used to be Captain of the Kansas City Comets before the war broke out... but over here, they don't even exist. What the hell is up with that?!

My power? Oh, well. I can drastically reduce the gravity acting on any object I touch, even myself. I can leap tall buildings in a single bound, or make cars and boulders as light as a feather.

Kara Hawkins
May 4th, 2012, 11:36:39 AM
Hello, yeah... I'm Kara... team's resident telepath/telekinetic type. I got talked into this to keep myself out of trouble, obviously.

Also... I can kill you with my brain. :p
(ok not really...)

Michele Hawkins
May 4th, 2012, 12:10:48 PM
I'll be interesting to read this :)

And for the record, (glares) there's only one true Hawkins on this board

Captain Untouchable
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:20:23 AM
Now that I am back in posession of my full internet faculties, I'd like to dive in and get started on this if people are up for it.

To my knowledge, the characters we have available for Avengers #1 are -

General John Heller - Commander of SHIELD; no powers

Captain Dan Myers - Accidental tourist from an alternate reality; gravity/weight reduction
Kara Hawkins - Young, psychic thief involved under duress; telekinesis and telepathy
Robyn Lockhart - Scottish/Norwegian special forces badass; superhuman reflexes and perfect aim
Michael Beckett - Canadian pilot, special forces soldier, gun enthusiast, and sarcasm connaisseur; no powers

Do any other people want to throw new or existing characters into this first epic adventure?

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 21st, 2012, 03:27:46 AM
Is this still a thing that's happening? Or has it already happened and I am just terrible at reading the Gen RPing forum?

Captain Untouchable
Oct 21st, 2012, 10:33:42 AM
It's still happening, but things sorta happened in the middle with house movings and Nerds and such. I'm still hoping to go ahead with it, if people are still interested!

Robyn Lockhart
Oct 22nd, 2012, 09:57:38 AM
Definitely! :D