PDA

View Full Version : Let's Synchronize Watches! TimeStamp Proposal (This affects You!)

Morgan Evanar
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:13:52 PM
I declare that that Revelations and End Times takes place on ABY 9.100

GO FORTH.

Hey Folks! It's that time again where I propose something!

"Oh no!" /groans

I've noticed with our big surge of activity, some of us are having trouble for the when exactly something went down.

I suggest everyone galatic time stamp stuff. It would make figuring out who when much easier. Stuff sort of works out in the end anyway, but then everyone would know because it's in the opening post. It would also make time lines much easier to document/do.

I know, I'm being a bit anal, but it would help my stupid self.

ABY
YY.DDD In space, nobody gives a crap what day it is.

Vansen Tyree
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:46:50 PM
He's talking about timelines. Burn the witch! :mad

In seriousness: I think it's a great idea and it would help a lot. I am absolutely all for it.

However, everyone has to be onboard with it in order for it to work. If everyone does it, it'll be a fantastic tool... but if a few people can't be arsed, it might end up being a wasted effort.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:56:01 PM
What sort of timestamp would we be using?

Morgan Evanar
Apr 28th, 2012, 12:35:10 AM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Standard_Calendar
Based on that, a Y.MM.D stamp. Everyone seems to use ABY, and Endor was 4 years after. We could all collectively figure out what date it is "now" and go from there with our next threads :)

Vansen Tyree
Apr 28th, 2012, 12:45:16 AM
It's worth remembering that the BY has Year Zeros in it, whereas we haven't been using those.

Anything three months after Yavin is in the year 0 ABY. For us, anything three years after Endor is in the year 1 AE.

I put a thing on the timeline page on the wiki (I think) to explain how to comvert from one to t'other.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2012, 12:45:21 AM
http://www.sw-fans.net/wiki/index.php?title=4_AE

The Sith stuff that Christin has in her mini timeline in this forum is taking place at 7.9.? AY or 3.9.? AE.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 28th, 2012, 12:46:37 AM
That sound about right.

Vansen Tyree
Apr 28th, 2012, 01:26:01 AM
The page Holly linked to was 4 AE. Would that not make the timestamp 4.9.X AE?

Are we timestamping as "Day X, Month 9, Year 4 AE" ... or are we stamping it as "Three Years, Nine Months, X Days After Endor"?

In the real world: because it transitions from 1 BC to 1 AD... despite the fact that today is the 28th April 2012, it is "2011 Years, 4 Months, 28 Days" from the calendar's start point.

Would we timestamp today as 2012.4.28 or as 2011.4.28? The latter seems to be Holly's example.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2012, 01:37:59 AM
Ok yeah 4, not 3.

I wrote it out the way I did because that's how Morg did it - YY/MM/DD

Vansen Tyree
Apr 28th, 2012, 02:34:22 AM
I wasn't querying the order you wrote the numbers in, Holly: I was querying what the numbers actually meant... hence one of my examples having Three, and one having Four. ;)

I just did some bonus reading on Star Wars calendars. Apparently, 0 BBY and 0 ABY are the same year. Since the Battle of Yavin didn't conveniently happen on New Years Eve, they refer to the whole year as Year Zero. This means that, rather confusingly, 1 ABY doesn't actually start 1 Year after the Battle of Yavin... it's X Months after instead. Which is just bloody confusing, frankly.

In order to make life simpler for ourselves, would it be easier to do the "X Years, Y Months, Z Days After Endor" timestamp? That way the stamp actually means something tangible, and might make things easier for everyone to work out.

For some added confusion, Star Wars apparently has a 5 day week, a 35 day (7 week) month, and a 368 day year... which means that a year is 10 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days long. :cyduck

From our wiki, it looks like we've been working on a 12-month year thus far. Are we sticking with that... and if so, how many days are there in a month?

Morgan Evanar
Apr 28th, 2012, 09:21:10 AM
We have roughly the same number of days (368) so switching out to the "correct" system would be trivial. Or we could stay the same.

We can discuss the trivialities of format and similar. What I'm hoping for is consensus that it's a good idea. /Geth.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:16:23 AM
Bumpin' this to solicit more feedback.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:20:02 AM
I am happy to go along with whatever is decided on, but I don't have anything specific to contribute myself.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:25:04 AM
I'm very keen on this. As far as format, I will go with anything that is decided.

As an aside, it was actually very interesting to learn about the days in a week, weeks in a month, etc. It'd never occurred to me to look anything like that up on wookieepedia.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:43:03 PM
Do we make a rosetta stone timeline then of agreed upon big events we can then use to peg small role plays to? I like this idea, just wanna know where to begin

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:55:23 PM
Check the wiki timeline?

Vansen Tyree
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:55:28 PM
Check the wiki timeline?
That would be great advice, if there was any guarantee that the wiki timeline was actually reliable / up to date. I think Charley is referring to future / planned events as well, not just the handful of threads that have made it onto the wiki.

It would be nice to go back through the big events of the last X Years and work that out. Some bits never got added to the timeline, while other bits aren't all that easy to spot: and other events happened "off-camera", and so we never explicitly drew attention to them. Especially if we decide to change to a ten-month system.

If we work up a rosetta stone like Charley suggests, I'd be happy to do a timeline overhaul like I did with the Mutants Unite stuff, to make everything a bit more navigable.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 30th, 2012, 01:33:32 PM
Right. Once we figure out that "point", doing an opening-post timestamp is trivial.

Serena Laran
Apr 30th, 2012, 01:42:48 PM
I figured if we use the Sith stuff Christin has in her little timeline, that has a place in the Big Timeline already? It's at year 4, month 9.

Zem Vymes
Apr 30th, 2012, 02:41:58 PM
I figured if we use the Sith stuff Christin has in her little timeline, that has a place in the Big Timeline already? It's at year 4, month 9.

That is probably the best starting point I think. Recent and highly visible. If we can amend it with the dating notations, almost any RP we have going now should be able to fall into place

Serena Laran
Apr 30th, 2012, 03:04:31 PM
I took the liberty of updating the wiki timeline a bit and tested some dates for the current Sith timetable (as its the only thing I can actually separate by days as opposed to simply 'this came first this came after').

http://www.sw-fans.net/wiki/index.php?title=4_AE#4_Years.2C_9_Months_AE

I'm also fixing the year 3/4 difference in the timeline, I think that takes care of the 'there's no year 0' thing you've tried to get me to understand in the past, Jace. So year 4 isn't cut up by "year 3, month 3" its now "year 4 month 3" etc. Maybe.

Anyway, I love what you (Jace) did for the Mutant timeline, so if there were templates for the SW timeline I would be on that like white on rice.

Vansen Tyree
Apr 30th, 2012, 03:39:40 PM
The original bit was actually correct, Holly.

The year 1 AE starts 0 months After Endor. It lasts for a year, finishing at 1 year After Endor.

If you count onwards from that, then the year 4 AE would start 3 years and 0 months After Endor, and would finish a year later, 4 years After Endor.

You effectively have to "round up" to get the year: the 9th Month of 4 AE happens - as the page said before - 3 years and 9 months After Endor.

If it makes it easier to grasp... 4 AE doesn't mean "four years After Endor". It actually means "the fourth year that happened After Endor". I always read it in my head as 4th AE, and that makes more sense to me.

This is why I think a timestamp that says "this post happens X amount of time After Endor" is a lot easier to fathom than "this post happens on this date". It actually means something. You can look at a post marked 3.9.12 AE and go "yeah, okay... Endor was nearly four years ago".

If it says 4.9.12 AE, your brain is going to see the 4 and the 9, and think "more than four years ago", because that's the way our brains are taught to understand numbers: it looks like it's a number bigger than 4.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 30th, 2012, 03:51:52 PM
I know our timeline starts after Endor, but for the sake of reference elsewhere that uses ABY, we could do that. It would make for less mental gymnastics if you want to look something else up on another SW resource.

Droo
Apr 30th, 2012, 03:57:42 PM
I know our timeline starts after Endor, but for the sake of reference elsewhere that uses ABY, we could do that. It would make for less mental gymnastics if you want to look something else up on another SW resource.

I like this. I've always found jumping from ABE to ABY to work things out on Wookieepedia a needless complication.

Vansen Tyree
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:09:38 PM
That's too damned logical, Chris. Why would you suggest such a thing? :twak

It's not a bad idea, and it'd definitely help with looking at wookieepedia stuff, etc.

We could also use this (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_ReSynchronization) system. It's the current "in-universe" dating system, and would mean that we could use our timestamp in character as well as out of character... in Captain's logs, anecdotes, etc.

It's easy to convert from the ABY system to the GrS system: take the date in BY, and just add 35. To convert from AE to GrS, just add 40.

Thus, the Battle of Yavin happens in the Year 35; the Battle of Endor happens in 39; and we're currently in the year 44.

So, the Sith stuff would be in the month 44:9.

Edit:

Also, if you click on the wookieepedia page for any year in terms of BBY / ABY, it tells you what it would be in terms of GrS... so it's mega-easy to translate.

Serena Laran
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:26:32 PM
The original bit was actually correct, Holly.

The year 1 AE starts 0 months After Endor. It lasts for a year, finishing at 1 year After Endor.

If you count onwards from that, then the year 4 AE would start 3 years and 0 months After Endor, and would finish a year later, 4 years After Endor.

You effectively have to "round up" to get the year: the 9th Month of 4 AE happens - as the page said before - 3 years and 9 months After Endor.

If it makes it easier to grasp... 4 AE doesn't mean "four years After Endor". It actually means "the fourth year that happened After Endor". I always read it in my head as 4th AE, and that makes more sense to me.

This is why I think a timestamp that says "this post happens X amount of time After Endor" is a lot easier to fathom than "this post happens on this date". It actually means something. You can look at a post marked 3.9.12 AE and go "yeah, okay... Endor was nearly four years ago".

If it says 4.9.12 AE, your brain is going to see the 4 and the 9, and think "more than four years ago", because that's the way our brains are taught to understand numbers: it looks like it's a number bigger than 4.
Okay then I guess I was just unnecessarily confusing myself. What you just said is how I thought it was supposed to be, but then something else before made me think that it was still wrong, or something.

Anyway. Nothing to see here. >_<

Morgan Evanar
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:15:15 PM
So far we've got:
This is a good idea
ABY is easier than ABE
No one is married to any particular format. I like YY.MM.DD cause it's easy to type.
No preference regarding GalStandard vs Earth Standard calendar structure.

Does anyone object to date stampin' the first post?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 30th, 2012, 08:01:29 PM
No objection here.

Banner Laverick
Apr 30th, 2012, 08:20:03 PM
I don't object if someone explains it so you know, I actually understand it and how to use it.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 1st, 2012, 04:08:21 PM
Yeah I'm not opposed, but a simple explanation on how to implement this in our RPs would be cool. So I don't do it wrong.

Morgan Evanar
May 1st, 2012, 06:30:26 PM
Based on GrS, an example of a relatively current post would be 44.6.15, which put it 4 years past the Battle of Endor.

While that's very much "in universe", everything else seems to rotate around the battle of Yavin, which would put us at 8.9.15 (I'm gonna assume the days are the same.)

Both use a YY MM DD format.

Zeke
May 1st, 2012, 08:04:20 PM
Question. What if one thread is stated to happen ahead of another, but the first thread is dated AFTER the second, or events in one thread don't line up with another because somebody forgot to cross-reference the first with the second? I know that time isn't really a strict progression from cause to effect, and that from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff, but this has the potential to cause some real confusion when we go to put the timeline together. Or am I worrying over nothing?

Morgan Evanar
May 1st, 2012, 09:13:59 PM
I wouldn't go back and post-date threads. I think that would create confusion. And yeah, there may be instances where we have timey-wimey bits and strings, but it's going to be less likely than what we have now, which is a perpetual question mark.

I think the vast majority of Timey-Wimey situations can be resolved with a little bit of mutual massaging.

I'm big on massaging ;)

Mara Tallen
May 1st, 2012, 09:16:41 PM
So I've noticed ;)

I'm for it, so long as someone can explain it to me over IM. I'm a bit dense with these all things >_<

Flux
May 1st, 2012, 09:19:10 PM
The only part that's gonna blow my mind is the format being reverse from real life. Once I get over that it'll go smooth. K, I'm on board for this now.

Morgan Evanar
May 1st, 2012, 10:10:48 PM
Well us backward ass Americans do it mm/dd/yy, which is stupid. Everyone else does it dd/mm/yy

So no matter what you're gonna be confused.

Zeke
May 1st, 2012, 10:52:22 PM
I've always done it DD/MM/YY. o.o;

Captain Untouchable
May 2nd, 2012, 02:39:58 AM
You must've found 9/11 pretty confusing, then. To the rest of the world, that's November 9th, not September 11th.

Miranda Tarkin
May 2nd, 2012, 07:21:17 AM
Yeah I've read this several times and just need Fewdy or someone to splain.

Course, with working at a hospital, I am used to the DD/MM/YY because of a lot of immigrants I have met. I just always have to clarify hehe :)

Halajiin Rabeak
May 2nd, 2012, 07:36:58 AM
I, too, am confused on exactly how we should be notating this, what type of week/month structure we should be using, as well as... everything. Could someone please break this down simply enough that even Hal could understand it? Otherwise I'm going to be completely lost.

Morgan Evanar
May 2nd, 2012, 09:15:24 AM
Well, that's part of the reason for this thread. We can decide if we want to use the SW calendar or the Earth Gregorian one.

Morgan Evanar
May 6th, 2012, 10:37:48 AM
Bumpin' this.
Guys, if you have preferences regarding:
YY MM DD or DD MM YY? (I am totally cool with either). Some of you have professed to not liking YY MM DD.

GalStandard vs Earth Standard calendar structure.

Taataani Meorrrei
May 6th, 2012, 08:08:09 PM
I like YY MM DD, it feels exotic

Zeke
May 6th, 2012, 08:49:10 PM
If that's how they run it in Star Wars, that's how we should run it here.

Morgan Evanar
May 7th, 2012, 09:48:53 PM
This is a pretty big sweeping change and I'd like to get it moving sooner than later.

As it stands, these are my preferences:
ABY
YY MM DD (cause this is how SW does it)
Galatic Standard calendar ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Standard_Calendar )

Captain Untouchable
May 8th, 2012, 08:44:45 AM
Personally, I'd prefer if we used GrS instead of ABY... GrS is faction-neutral, whereas ABY is most definately Rebel: you wouldn't catch Imperials using it IC.

The fact that it's usable IC isn't essential, but it would be a nice bonus, IMO.

Reshmar
May 8th, 2012, 11:43:23 AM
Didn't the Empire use its own time seperate from the resync with the founding in 19 BBY as its Zero year?

Morgan Evanar
May 8th, 2012, 12:06:54 PM
The date stamp isn't an in character thing. GrS includes an extra step for reference against most articles in Wookiepedia and isn't labeled as prominently. It's a decent argument, though.

I think most people here think in terms of ABY, and the fact is not-in-universe books etc use it. It's the central event of Star Wars in a lot of ways.

Captain Untouchable
May 8th, 2012, 06:17:11 PM
Converting between ABY and GrS isn't tough. 4 ABY is 40 GrS... you just "add 36".

Bearing that in mind, I guess you could argue it either way. If you ever need to use the date/year in a post, you can just take the ABY timestamp and add 36 onto the year. If you're a Rebel, you don't even need to bother.

It just seems a shame to replicate the IC week structure and IC month structure, but then use a year that doesn't work IC for everyone.

It's not a big enough deal that I'm gonna make a fuss over it, though. *shrug*

Sort of echoing my earlier question... if we adopt the Star Wars system and have ten months, are we going to refer to January as "01", or as "0"?

This is the "0 months, 3 days" thing I was on about before. The advantage to representing January with a 0 is that we'll be having 0-9, instead of 01-10... there'll only ever be one digit for the month, rather than being 90% for half of the year.

Again, not something I'm going to make a fuss over. Just a thought.

Lastly, if we adopt the Star Wars year structure, how are we going to show the extra 3 weeks and 3 days that are bolted on the end? Do we treat that as an eleventh month? Does month ten have an extra eighteen days? Do we bolt it on at the front and call it month zero? Something involving letters instead of numbers?

etc.

Halajiin Rabeak
May 8th, 2012, 07:05:41 PM
I am not at all going to grasp a non-Gregorian calendar. I think we should stick with the same month count, days of the week count, and all that which we are used to. If we change to the SW one, while it would be SW accurate, I'm not going to be able to sort it out well enough to use it at all, or figure it out when others use it.

That's my two cents. I have no problem date-stamping things, but I won't be able to keep up with it using the SW month/day system.

Morgan Evanar
May 8th, 2012, 07:26:51 PM
I am not at all going to grasp a non-Gregorian calendar. I think we should stick with the same month count, days of the week count, and all that which we are used to. If we change to the SW one, while it would be SW accurate, I'm not going to be able to sort it out well enough to use it at all, or figure it out when others use it.

That's my two cents. I have no problem date-stamping things, but I won't be able to keep up with it using the SW month/day system.I'm certainly not set on anything, and appreciate the feedback. 5 day weeks would be alien and if it stops someone from doing it, it defeats the whole purpose.

Jace, you and Mitch have very good points, I've updated some stuff to reflect that.

The people are speaking!
ABY
YY MM DD (cause this is how SW does it)
Gregorian Calendar (you use this almost every day, probably)

Halajiin Rabeak
May 8th, 2012, 09:20:44 PM
Could we get a sample post made, with the timestamp on it, and then get that timestamp broken down piece by piece?

Also, for those of us who are unfamiliar with the Battle of Yavin, could a few more key dates be listed for reference? Like the Endor battle, the Purge, that kind of stuff.

Also, what era stamp do we use for pre-ABY time, and does it go backwards like BC does? I need to know this so I can properly date stuff for Hal, since he's from pre-ABY time.

Reshmar
May 8th, 2012, 09:40:00 PM
Pre Yavin In BBY Before the battle of Yavin.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 8th, 2012, 11:34:42 PM
Once we decide what date to put to the Revelations and Endtimes thread, I'll edit that into the timeline thread and include dates for the other ones in there.

Morgan Evanar
May 9th, 2012, 01:02:16 PM
Since I'm sort of a alert, here is what a sample opening post might look like.
Here is a star wars timeline. If you go down to 0 ABY (I suggest ctrl-f: 0 aby or it's gonna take forever)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_galactic_history

The battle of Yavin is zero.

08.122 Is 8 years after the battle of Yavin.

Morgan rolled over. Mara unfortunately had caught cold and was snoring. He pulled a pillow over his head and sighed.

04 is the year
06 is the month (June)
22 is the day

LYMK if you have more questions.

Captain Untouchable
May 9th, 2012, 01:19:08 PM
^ It's not quite that simple, Chris.

0 BBY = 0 ABY ...they are two halves of the same year.

Battle of Yavin happens in the middle (it happens in May, for example). So 04 would be anything from 4.5 years to 5.5 years later. The timestamp for the Battle of Yavin would technically be 00.05.09, or there abouts... (it isn't actually at 00.00.00)

This means that if something happens 4.5 years after Endor (eg. 4 AE, Month 6), it technically happens in 9 ABY, Month 1, or there abouts.

Also, looking at example dates on Wookieepedia, they don't seem to include the leading zeros. Are we going to do the same, and have 4.6.22 as the timestamp? Personally, I find the zeros make it look too much like a date, and my brain is trying to read it as 4th June 2022.

If we're going with a Gregorian calendar, are we going to keep the days the same (ie. 30 days hath September, April, June, and November, etc)... or are we just going to say that every month is the same length?

Halajiin Rabeak
May 9th, 2012, 01:45:43 PM
Gregorian or we'll be lost. I see no reason to change the number of days in any month, other than just verify different because calendars are too mainstream.

Please, we're already nerds, let's not be hipsters.

Captain Untouchable
May 9th, 2012, 02:25:50 PM
You seriously won't be able to cope with "every month as 31 days"? O_o

Surely that would make life easier? You won't need to work out what month it is, whether it's a leap year, or any of that crap... when it gets to 30 or 31 on the timestamp, you just move on to the next month. Super-simple.

There's nothing hipster about it.

Serena Laran
May 9th, 2012, 02:57:16 PM
I'm cool with every month having 30 days. We're not naming the months, after all, we're just using numbers.

Halajiin Rabeak
May 9th, 2012, 02:58:00 PM
--Edit-- Nevermind. Let me go get Hal some skinny jeans and a PBR...

Captain Untouchable
May 9th, 2012, 03:14:32 PM
If the number and length of months is going to become a complicated / contentious issue, would it be easier to just not have months at all, and go with Year . Day instead?

The fact that a Star Wars year has 368 days is a fairly easy concept to grasp I think. Having a linear progression from 9.001 to 9.368 doesn't require you to know how long a week is, or a month is, or anything like that. If you want something to happen "four weeks" later... your brain is probably thinking in terms of a 7 day week, so you just make it happen 28 days later. If you want it to be three months later? That's about 90 days. No complexity or confusion: just a simple case of addition and subtraction.

And if you do want to translate your Year . Day timestamp into a Day . Month . Year date to use in your post? It would be really really super mega easy to build a little cross-reference chart that you can look at, which will do all the work for you.

Morgan Evanar
May 9th, 2012, 03:46:13 PM
If the number and length of months is going to become a complicated / contentious issue, would it be easier to just not have months at all, and go with Year . Day instead?

The fact that a Star Wars year has 368 days is a fairly easy concept to grasp I think. Having a linear progression from 9.001 to 9.368 doesn't require you to know how long a week is, or a month is, or anything like that. If you want something to happen "four weeks" later... your brain is probably thinking in terms of a 7 day week, so you just make it happen 28 days later. If you want it to be three months later? That's about 90 days. No complexity or confusion: just a simple case of addition and subtraction.

And if you do want to translate your Year . Day timestamp into a Day . Month . Year date to use in your post? It would be really really super mega easy to build a little cross-reference chart that you can look at, which will do all the work for you. Considering we're in SPACE space gotta go to space space spaceeeeeee and other planets have whatever season we need/desire the month is kinda irrelevant. We could just do the year and the day, which is fookin' simple.

Captain Untouchable
May 9th, 2012, 05:43:18 PM
My sentiments exactly. :)

Morgan Evanar
May 9th, 2012, 05:52:34 PM
It is a verra good idea IMO.

Commander Adras
May 9th, 2012, 07:07:13 PM
Considering we're in SPACE space gotta go to space space spaceeeeeee and other planets have whatever season we need/desire the month is kinda irrelevant. We could just do the year and the day, which is fookin' simple.

Firstly, love the Portal space talk. :)

Secondly, I third this motion of using the year and the day. It does truly simplify things. The year system would be based off of Yavin, correct?

Note: All the talk about dating being set from Yavin, and so there being a 0 year, which puts a lot of people off. 0 - 0.5 being BBY and 0.5 - 1 being ABY just seems odd and still carries some math with it. I'm fine with using ABY/BBY, but let's keep it simple and only when necessary should we descend into the madness that is the SW continuum of time and dating. Unless everything is simply shifted and Yavin's destruction is declared the beginning of the galactic standard year (as said, we're in space and the months don't really matter, and most places keep their own calendars anyhow, and we're really only using the time-stamp like historians would, to make sense of the sequence of events in a way that would make sense to us and not to our characters), making it go from 1 BBY to 1 ABY, which makes things simpler still.

Captain Untouchable
May 9th, 2012, 07:21:50 PM
The point of switching to ABY as I understand it is so that we match what is said on Wookieepedia and in other resources. If we do not maintain the year zero, it will throw all of the dates off... doesn't that defeat the object of using ABY in the first place?

Morgan Evanar
May 10th, 2012, 12:40:07 AM
Jace is correct.

Morgan Evanar
May 11th, 2012, 12:33:05 AM
So I think everyone likes a simple year/day system, which I stuck in the original post. The date system will be a non-headache because we're far enough away that once we decide which date we're on, stuff is golden.

Captain Untouchable
May 11th, 2012, 04:01:42 AM
In the interests of arbetrarily assigning dates to the big events of the movies, what if we worked out what day of the year the movie premiere was, and used that? Doing that, we'd end up with -

Battle of Yavin - 0.145 ABY
Battle of Hoth - 3.142 ABY
Battle of Endor - 4.145 ABY

We could do something similar with major threads. For example, the first post of Revelation and End Times happened on Day 226 of 2011 (August 11th). Using this thread (http://75.126.43.122/forum/showthread.php?t=22069) for reference, and a little fudging for chronological order, that might give us timestamps like -

Dress Whites - 8.136 ABY
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained - 8.190 ABY
Revelation and End Times - 8.226 ABY
Messenger of Death - 8.229 ABY
The Valley of Humiliation - 8.234 ABY
Two Steps Forward - 8.236 ABY

And so on, etc.

Cirrsseeto Quez
May 11th, 2012, 02:19:20 PM
oh man like stardates. That is....really cool!

Anne Phoenix
May 15th, 2012, 05:51:39 AM
Okay, so I was looking at the SWF Wiki Timeline to determine when the events of my latest threads would have taken place. Beforehand I determined that the establishing of Tempest Base would occur 1 year before the Battle of Sullust, with a new thread (not yet posted) taking place 3 months before Sullust (or nine months after Tempest).

So with Shadow Strike occuring right now in the Timeline, the following would be true?;

Operation Shadow Strike 4.10 Years/Months ABE = 8.300 ABY
Man The Bulwarks (new thread) 3.9 Years/Months ABE = 7.270 ABY
Aspirational Ventures 3.10 Years/Months ABE = 7.300 ABY

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 15th, 2012, 11:03:27 AM
No need to worry about including ABE. We're going to just use ABY; no need to clutter things up.

Captain Untouchable
May 15th, 2012, 05:03:29 PM
Christin - he's explaining what dates they are in the current AE setting, and asking if he has translated them correctly to ABY. He's not cluttering anything up: he's showing what he's converting from.

Dates look about right to me, though I'd be inclined to add a digit or two here and there so they aren't quite round numbers. :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 15th, 2012, 05:21:21 PM
Ah, gotcha. My mistake. So we are adding both ABY and ABE like in the Bulwark thread, then?

Lilaena De'Ville
May 15th, 2012, 05:39:15 PM
No, we're going to switch the wiki timeline to BBY/ABY and do away with BBE/ABE all together.

Morgan has yet to state our starting point for dates, so I haven't added any because I don't want to have to go back and edit my RPs once it's finally written in stone somewhere.

Morgan Evanar
May 15th, 2012, 06:16:31 PM
I'll nail it down once I get home since everyone seems to be on board now.
^_^;

Sanis Prent
May 16th, 2012, 12:52:25 PM
Can't wait to see what temporal corners I've backed myself into! :uhoh

Halajiin Rabeak
May 16th, 2012, 01:13:32 PM
What would the year convention have been prior to the Battle of Yavin? This is for my own benefit, as Hal would be thinking in that year format, and would have to switch, so I need to know what to call it.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 16th, 2012, 01:36:30 PM
Galactic Standard I think? I don't know.

Morgan Evanar
May 16th, 2012, 01:59:49 PM
ABY is for before battle of Yavin, so just like BC/AD.

I declare that that Revelations and End Times takes place on ABY 9.100

GO FORTH.

Sanis Prent
May 16th, 2012, 02:39:07 PM
Hell yeah! Gonna time stamp all sorts of things tonight

Lilaena De'Ville
May 18th, 2012, 01:09:38 PM
Just so I have this straight, it's 9.100 which is year 9 day 100 right?

So 8.700 isn't a real date because there are only 365 days in a year. Right?

Or are we doing decimals?

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2012, 01:20:26 PM
Anything after 368 is right out. There are 368 days in a Galactic standard year.