PDA

View Full Version : Would You Like To Know More

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:07:42 PM
I'm hoping to get some updating for the Lupine wiki done, but I at the moment my mind is drawing a blank as to what some people might want to know about.

So I'm asking you guys what it is that you would like to know.

Ask away, and I shall answer :)

Xel-Naga
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:14:21 PM
I couldn't find a name for the Guardian Homeworld. That was the only thing I've noticed seemed absent.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:20:09 PM
Leh'ben is the Guardian homeworld. I know it's in there; towards the beginning where the planets are listed.

Vek Vek
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:29:14 PM
Were the Lupine creators drunk or did they just fail scientific ethics?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:32:20 PM
Different code of ethics for different peoples.

Saarrreeaa Raurrssaatta
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:41:18 PM
What happens if a Lupine breeds with a Cizerack? Theoretically, as of course the Lupines are now sterile.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:58:28 PM
I'm not sure how to answer that, especially since Lupines were generally very adamant about having children only with other Lupines.

Theoretically however, in the case of such a thing, the child is born with no abilities to change - in fact, there is nothing Lupine about the child at all. The genetic strain of either bloodline would be stripped out by Cizerack gamete so that all you had would be a human-Cizerack halfbreed.

Vek Vek
Apr 27th, 2012, 12:05:36 AM
so it's a recessive trait cultivated by controlled interbreeding basically?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2012, 12:17:43 AM
The strains are just very weak in the early stages of fertilization. Breeding with non-humans yields either human-whatever halflings, or stillbirths in some cases. Both the Loveloxx and the Losstarot genes were not coded to latch onto anything but human DNA. It is nothing racial in intent; just that back when the strains were created, there was no contact with the rest of the galaxy.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 9th, 2012, 11:41:50 PM
Concerning the Lupine Genophage

At the height of the conflicts between the Guardians and the Lupines, a plan was set into motion by the Guardians that would over time spell the extinction of the Lupine race. It was certainly a devious plan that was formulated, and one that sped along the process of the expunging of both Bloodlines by nature. As the most common known fact was that Lupines did not come about naturally, the Guardians sought to give nature a bit of a helping hand in shunting their mortal enemies from the galaxy.

During the reigns of House Luthgarde (Loveloxx) and House Steuerung (Losstarot), a small but ultimately pivotal fight took place between a Guardian and one of the Alpha males of House Steuerung. This Guardian had the ability to phase into and out of the physical realm, and had been chosen by his peers to enact a chain reaction that would decimate the Lupines.

In this fight, said Guardian passed through the Lupine, and was able to send his [the Lupine's] reproductive abilities into a delayed dormancy stage. This would allow him enough time to reproduce for a time, but would also pass on the ailment. It was a silent killer, and took many years, but it worked well enough.

This same Guardian sought out the head of House Luthgarde, and as he had done to the Losstarot, so too did he phase into and out of the Loveloxx, setting about the very same chain reaction.

Both Bloodlines, as the years passed and generations lived and died, began to thin. Stillbirths became a common occurrence until eventually actual conception became an exceedingly rare event.

The Genophage was certainly not a quick end for the Lupines, but more a very gradual and mind-numbing one.

But why is s'Il able to get pregnant, you ask?

Untouchable: Tea and Tension (http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14970&highlight=Guardian) is the thread where s'Il and Mr. Dust meet on Cathar; Mr. Dust inadvertantly does the same thing as his age-old predecessor; only reversing the process and activating the fertility gene that had remained dormant. This is why s'Il was able to get pregnant with Tak a few years after that event.

Unfortunately it is a bittersweet evolutionary hiccup, as the children she has are unable to procreate. The sterile trigger once more resets itself and her offspring are barren. This she does not know yet however, and it is not something I plan to address until after the Dan arc is finished.

As of now, the Genophage is incurable. There are other factors that will come into play later on down the road that will possibly fix the infertility problem, but I'm not really going to expend much energy working them out until I've completed the current big arc.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 10th, 2012, 12:10:49 AM
Why can some Lupines Change, and others can't?

The ability for a Lupine to Change is a point of pride.

Unfortunately that ability had begun to erode for some of the Greater Houses during the first stages of the Great Migration, and those Houses affected saw the greatest loss of self-worth. Of the two Bloodlines, House Van-Derveld and House Von Metzger were the largest carriers of the 'deformity', and over time it had become known as a curse that the two had inherited due to their shared past of inbreeding.

Unlike the Genophage which had been helped along by the Guardians, the problem of being unable to change was a degradation of the Lupine genes naturally occurring.