PDA

View Full Version : Job Prospects!

Karl Valten
Apr 20th, 2012, 10:03:08 PM
Hey all! So most of you have known me for the last several years as the kid who will never graduate, heh.

Should be actually finishing up my degree by next week and have work odd engineering jobs during summers and occasionally during school.

Recently had an interview out of the blue with Lockheed Martin's skunkworks operation (advance development concepts). IE the group that developed the U-2, SR-71, F-117, F-22, F-35, etc, etc.

Got a call back from them for a more rounds of interviews and that I should be expecting a final decision in the next few weeks here.

It's not space-related engineering, but holy shit! Never thought I'd have the chance to get into R&D work.

If I get the job I'd end up either in Fort Worth, TX or Palm Beach, FL. I'd prefer the mountains and Colorado, but if I get an offer, I'll probably take it no questions asked. :p

Cirrsseeto Quez
Apr 20th, 2012, 10:12:33 PM
Awww was hoping you'd get an opening in Huntsville. Still that's pretty awesome.

I know skunkworks has Huntsville installations so if you get shuffled let me know this too!

Chartis
Apr 20th, 2012, 10:12:38 PM
Buddy, that's awesome! All that hard work is paying off, eh? Aw, it's like having a little brother who's actually a productive, successful human being. :love :glomp

Morgan Evanar
Apr 20th, 2012, 10:14:10 PM
If you end up in Palm Beach we can do things on the weekends every now and then. I'm just North of Orlando now.

Karl Valten
Apr 20th, 2012, 10:54:19 PM
Awww was hoping you'd get an opening in Huntsville. Still that's pretty awesome.

I know skunkworks has Huntsville installations so if you get shuffled let me know this too!

Yeah, I never heard anything back from Huntsville unfortunately. Palm Beach has most of the UAV work where I'd probably have the most success working.

I'd prefer spacecraft.....but skunkworks!

Aw, it's like having a little brother who's actually a productive, successful human being. :love :glomp

Productive....successful....sure.....that's it right there. ;)

If you end up in Palm Beach we can do things on the weekends every now and then. I'm just North of Orlando now.

That's be sweet. On a side note I will be in Cocoa Beach June 8th (or 9th) to June 14th (or 15th) for an aerospace conference. Will be landing in Orlando, though. The conference isn't until Monday so if you're around during the weekend.

I'd just have to find a rental car separate from the rest of the crew I'm flying with.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 20th, 2012, 11:14:30 PM
Nah, I'll give you a ride. I'm only 20 minutes from the airport. I'll mark it on my calendar and make sure I'm in town. :D

Serena Laran
Apr 20th, 2012, 11:19:05 PM
That's awesome - my dad worked for Lockheed in the skunkworks division back in the day. :) I hear when he retired the debriefing involved burning all his files. ;)

Droo
Apr 21st, 2012, 07:29:16 AM
This is great news. Keep us informed, mate. Best of luck!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 21st, 2012, 10:17:01 AM
Holy cow dude! That's awesome!!! Way to go! Good luck with your subsequent interviews!! :hug

Sarah Lymia
Apr 21st, 2012, 12:08:03 PM
Interview with the F-16 Improvements and Derivatives group on Monday. I'd prefer something newer like the F-35 II, Predator M, or F-22C, but it is currently only for an intern position.

Thanks for the encouragement all!

Karl Valten
May 3rd, 2012, 09:56:28 AM
Just got a call from the recruiter while I was on the bus. I'll give them a call back after work.

-crosses fingers-

Karl Valten
May 3rd, 2012, 12:38:48 PM
I Got The Job!! (Lower pay than I'd like, though, an extra $5 an hour or so would be nice)

Dasquian Belargic
May 3rd, 2012, 12:41:36 PM
:dance congratulations!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 3rd, 2012, 12:45:47 PM
Way to go, man!! :fistbump:

Droo
May 3rd, 2012, 02:25:52 PM
Congratulations, fella. :)

Morgan Evanar
May 3rd, 2012, 02:49:53 PM
Congrats man!
Where are you working?

Karl Valten
May 3rd, 2012, 03:14:19 PM
Fortworth, TX unfortunately. I'd prefer to stay where I am, but I'll take what I can get.....just need to figure out what exactly there is to do out there.

Captain Untouchable
May 3rd, 2012, 04:06:56 PM
Hot damn! Congratulations, man! :eee

Morgan Evanar
May 3rd, 2012, 04:25:29 PM
Fort Worth and Dallas are right next to each other. There is a lot of stuff to do from my understanding, although I've never been there.

If I have any say in the matter the only places I'd like to live in Texas are Austin or San Antonio.

Karl Valten
May 3rd, 2012, 05:40:11 PM
Oh fuck, and Altius Space Systems just called me up to schedule an interview.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 3rd, 2012, 05:44:10 PM
Congratulations on the job :)

Morgan Evanar
May 3rd, 2012, 06:38:56 PM
Be careful with your bridges!

Karl Valten
May 3rd, 2012, 06:49:46 PM
Be careful with your bridges!

Agreed. Though I have to notify Lockheed whether or not I accept or decline only two days after I interview with Altius.

At the moment Lockheed probably is the best opportunity, especially for networking and there is no guarantee of employment with Altius.

I'd really like to stay and work in CO (I like it here and it's cheaper living) and work for a space-based company. But with as hard as it's been to find even an interview, I'm not really to risk no employment by turning Lockheed down.

Altius is a small start-up. Lockheed is a large oranization and is hard to get a foot in the door. Having them on the resume and having a network of contacts with them will probably by worth much more than what Altius has to offer.

Morgan Evanar
May 3rd, 2012, 07:56:11 PM
For career/networking prospects I would go with Lockheed first. Space is so exciting, though!

Emelie Shadowstar
May 3rd, 2012, 08:14:10 PM
Noooooooo. Don't go to skunkworks! Just noooo. You'll lose your soul and your mind!

I kid (...no, not really.) Yay for the opportunities, though! :D

Pierce Tondry
May 3rd, 2012, 08:33:23 PM
Em knows this from her long history of black ops and prototype R&D work, especially as it relates to the field of yarn creatures. *sage nod*

This is awesome news! Congrats, good sir! Wherever you go, you'll be fine I'm sure.

Callista
May 8th, 2012, 04:12:01 AM
Fortworth, TX unfortunately. I'd prefer to stay where I am, but I'll take what I can get.....just need to figure out what exactly there is to do out there.

Not a whole lot in the outdoor activities department, unless you've got access to a boat or like to float down rivers with lots of beer.

You can come hang out with me, though! We can find adventure! :D

Congrats on your job prospects!!

Karl Valten
May 8th, 2012, 06:10:28 AM
Yay! That makes two SWFans people in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Any rock climbing or good hiking down there?

I'll be making my decision between the two jobs Wednesday night.

Callista
May 8th, 2012, 08:07:48 AM
Who else is down here? o_O

Hiking? No... you have to kind of go out of your way for any hiking and I've yet to go anywhere worthy (I miss my Rocky Mountains!!!!!!!), but they do for now. As for rock climbing - I have no idea. I know there are places with walls...lol

Karl Valten
May 8th, 2012, 08:29:22 AM
Who else is down here? o_O

Tevit / Hal

Hiking? No... you have to kind of go out of your way for any hiking and I've yet to go anywhere worthy (I miss my Rocky Mountains!!!!!!!), but they do for now. As for rock climbing - I have no idea. I know there are places with walls...lol

Wait....so what do people do to stay in shape besides go to the gym?

Callista
May 8th, 2012, 08:40:04 AM
I don't know, but if you figure it out, please let me know! :P

There's plenty of trails, they're just not what we're used to up in CO. It's very...flat.

Darth Turbogeek
May 8th, 2012, 10:54:31 PM
The cycling in Colorado must be insane for fitness. I'd be on that shit in a flash

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 9th, 2012, 12:02:01 AM
Liam is out there too :)

Karl Valten
May 9th, 2012, 08:33:03 AM
The cycling in Colorado must be insane for fitness. I'd be on that shit in a flash
A yup. I am not a big cyclist, though. I prefer rock climbing and hiking, but you get great mountain and road cycling here.

Callista
May 9th, 2012, 11:00:22 AM
Liam is out there too :)

We should have a mini meet up!

Dasquian Belargic
May 9th, 2012, 11:39:25 AM
SWFans: bringing nerds together!

Jedi Master Carr
May 10th, 2012, 06:55:49 PM
congratulations on the job

Karl Valten
May 14th, 2012, 08:59:38 PM
Thanks for the congrats all!

I've chosen to go with the Lockheed job so I should be in Fort Worth in the next two weeks or so.

All of the SWFans people in the area should have a get together this summer!

Callista
May 15th, 2012, 10:02:33 AM
Congrats!!

And yes!!

As sad as it is, I have yet to actually go to Ft. Worth... xD There's some cool stuff there, though :) Let's bar hop!

Karl Valten
May 15th, 2012, 10:33:46 AM
Agreed....now just to find the decent bars in Ft. Worth!

Also time to flag down Liam and Tevit, heheh.

Anyone else live in Texas?

Liam Jinn
May 17th, 2012, 06:34:03 PM
Bar hopping in Ft. Worth? This could be doable.

Morgan Evanar
May 17th, 2012, 06:45:57 PM
It's like you summoned him or something.

Sup Liam.

Karl Valten
May 17th, 2012, 07:12:26 PM
If I have space in the car I'll bring my beer brewing supplies along.

Callista
May 17th, 2012, 08:31:37 PM
Whoot! If you figure out a day and time, msg me on FB if I don't see it here!

Karl Valten
May 17th, 2012, 09:01:23 PM
Also whatever happens, Liam is not allowed to drink cheap beer.

Liam Jinn
May 18th, 2012, 06:40:58 PM
I love my cheap beer, so good luck with that one. Buuut I'll compromise with the 'No cheap liquor' rule.

And howdy Morg