PDA

View Full Version : Hell yeah! Got a job finally!

Peter McCoy
Apr 20th, 2012, 07:24:58 AM
In the middle of March, 2 weeks before my call centre closed for good, I applied online for a part-time position at B&Q - 20 hours per week. The application took around 2 hours in-between phonecalls at work but I sent it off eventually.

Then, I got a phonecall last Monday asking if I could come into my local B&Q superstore for an assessment day. There were 275 applicants in total and they'd narrowed it down to 12 people including myself.

On the day I had to do 3 things - walk round the store as if I worked there, trying to help customers, build a tower out of old VHS cases and plastic cups with two other guys, and promote a product by giving a 2 minute presentation. Out of the twelve people there, 4 were asked to stay behind for an interview - I was one of the lucky ones. AFter that, two were told they had not been successful while myself and another guy were told we would receive a phonecall by the end of next (this) week.

I got a call on Tuesday asking if I could come in again on Friday (today) so that the Store Manager could have a chat before having the final say on who to employ. SO I went there earlier today and met the Manager - really nice guy - and after 20 minutes or so I left and he said I'd know by 12 noon whether or not I had the job.

12:15, I got a phonecall telling me they would like to offer me a contract for 30 hours a week - 10 more than I thought I'd get. So as a result, I start Monday morning! I've done some math and after tax I'll pick up roughly £740 a month. Which is only £200 a month less than I was getting at Virgin Media. And based on my salary at Virgin, my fiancee and myself worked out around £700 disposable income monthly, after deductions for mortgage, gas and electricity, water, council tax, tv license, mobile contracts, Sky contract etc, plus £150 for booze a month. So minus £200 makes that around £500 disposable income.

And because this is all happening now, the payout I get at the end of this month from Virgin Media doesn't have to support me at all - it can all go on the wedding!

Finally, things are going my way after months of worrying. I'm so chuffed right now. We're having a celebratory chippy tea at my mums tonight, and I'll have a nice day out in town tomorrow with the missus and buy myself something awesome.

PS: I assume I'll get staff discount so those fitted wardrobes will be even cheaper when I get them now!

Atreyu
Apr 20th, 2012, 07:32:39 AM
That's awesome mate! Glad it's all come together so well at the end. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 20th, 2012, 08:47:52 AM
Wow, congratulations! That must have been some VHS/cup tower you built. ;)

Karl Valten
Apr 20th, 2012, 09:35:38 AM
Congrats Peter! I'm glad things are looking up for you!

Daxton Stormchaser
Apr 20th, 2012, 10:35:12 AM
Congrats :)

Cirrsseeto Quez
Apr 20th, 2012, 10:51:26 AM
Wow, the jobs application process in the UK is like American gladiators or something. Still, that rules!

Rutabaga
Apr 20th, 2012, 11:26:12 AM
Wow, the jobs application process in the UK is like American gladiators or something. Still, that rules!

Holy crap, yeah! I'm currently looking for a new job and am glad I don't have to go through things like that. ;)

Congrats! :eee I just wish we could have seen a pic of the tower you built. ;)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 20th, 2012, 11:27:33 AM
Way to go, man! Congratulations! :D

Droo
Apr 20th, 2012, 11:28:56 AM
Well in, mate. Now my pocket broadband support is turning into a pocket handyman. All is proceding as I have foreseen... :)

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 20th, 2012, 11:53:13 AM

Holy crap, yeah! I'm currently looking for a new job and am glad I don't have to go through things like that. ;)

Yup. It's ridiculous.

But hooray Peter! I'm so glad that you got something so soon after the job with Virgin ended :)