PDA

View Full Version : When She Was Good

Molly Black
Apr 18th, 2012, 03:44:01 PM
Mama, stars rest her soul, used to love to tell a precocious little Molina that no matter how bad things were, they could always get worse. There were days now that a grown up Molly Black believed that, and then some. This was one of those days.

Getting out of Cloud City undetected, it seemed, had been a cake-walk compared to getting back in. Things had changed since the Infochant / Lieutenant for the Black Nebula had left in an effort to help out a friend. That little act of kindness had cost her. Imperial security knew who she was, had seen her fleeing the living quarters of Barton Henning, and she had done the stupidest thing possible in the situation, she had lied to them, and she had run. She had been running since. First she'd run all the way to the doctor, who charming as he may be, could not help her. The only person who probably could get her out of this pickle jar was Sorsha Kasajian, and she was no longer an option.

Molly Black had some choices to make. She could try and dig up some of her old contacts, probably disappear into a life of crime, and ultimately stay on the run. She could turn herself in, try and explain herself to the authorities, but she would potentially wind up tossed into the nearest garbage shoot or worse. Either way she had to think of something quick because the public transport she was enduring was about to dock, and she would wager that the Empire had some serious ID checks going on...

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Apr 21st, 2012, 10:13:15 AM
The winds encircling Cloud City buffeted the civilian transport, stirring a few of its passenger out of fitful naps and even threatening to knock some, who were standing in the aisles between the seats, off their feet. Their journey so far had been fraught with turbulence and it now seemed that the descent to Cloud City proper would be just as smooth.. The Rodian sitting opposite Molly Black, looking greener than was natural, clutched at his stomach and then within moments was on his feet, in desperate need of a suitable receptacle to vomit in. With his seat vacated, another passenger – previously forced to stand, on account of the over-crowding that was so common these public transports – neatly took his place.

Even on a transport full of aliens, the Chiss stood out. Though he wore clothing in muted blacks and greys, that did nothing to diminish the startling intensity of his blue skin. His blood-red eyes were fixed on Molly as he folded his hands on the tabletop that separated them.

“You haven't given this a great deal of thought, have you, Molly?”

Molly Black
Apr 21st, 2012, 11:36:55 AM
Working at the Cloud 9 as long as she had, Molly had seen her share of vomiting aliens. All colors and varieties of spin-art, even some that had been acidic enough to eat the pants off a grown man, as poor Smitty found out. But, when the blue fellow who had usurped the empty seat next to her chose to open his mouth and speak, Molly would have gleefully taken back the puking Rodian. No contest. Her heart started banging away inside her chest, and her mind went into an instant panic.

"Huh? Oh, hahahaha...", she made a poor attempt at a laugh and covered her face in horror, speaking muffled through her crossed hands. "Sure I have.. Mister."

Molly had done nothing but think for weeks, and this was the best chance she had. Swallowing her terror, her desperate mind began working on one hell of a cluster scene to cover her mad escape when the transport arrived. She might have to beat the blue guy to death with the heel of her shoe or something, she really wasn't certain yet.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
May 7th, 2012, 09:28:39 AM
“I suppose that must normally work... the girlish laughter, the fluttering eyelashes, the... feigned idiocy.”

The Chiss pressed his lips into a thin, unamused line, frowning a little at his last observation, as if he wasn't entirely certain that part of Molly Black was a ruse.

“I'm not sure that the Cloud City customs officers will accept whimsy and flirtations in the place of a good, clean set of papers, however. In fact, I'd be willing to stake a rather large sum of money on the certainty that they'll be fast-tracking you from arrivals to detention before you can so much as twirl a curl around your little finger.”

He cocked his head to one side, bird-like, as he sat further forward in his chair. His red eyes narrowed.

“But then I'm sure you've thought of that too, haven't you?”

Molly Black
May 7th, 2012, 10:45:00 PM
Her eyes, as blue as his skin, widened in further horror. He was going to be a problem she just knew it. No sane man was immune to her eyelashes, there was clearly something wrong with him.

As a former Lieutenant and Infochant of the Black Nebula's Queen, as well as someone with access to private 'party' rooms of the Cloud 9, Molly had a great deal of information in her curly head. To the right person, she was priceless. Being Molly Black was turning out to be bad for her health.

"So.. Which is it? Are you here to take me in, or sell me off?", she had a slight sigh to her words now, as if she would believe either possibility.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
May 8th, 2012, 11:35:41 AM
“Neither. I'd like to propose a mutually beneficial arrangement.”

Reaching into the pocket of his jacket, the Chiss retrieved a slim, white card.

“This is an identichit that will get you through Imperial customs. Agree to share your contacts and records with me and I'll give the chit to you. Rescind on this arrangement in any way...” he paused, angling the card back towards himself, “and I will ensure that the authenticity of the identichit is revoked and the Imperial garrison is informed of your whereabouts.”

With a tilt of his wrist, he glanced at his chronometer. They would be docking in a matter of minutes.

“You have about thirty seconds to make your decision.”

Molly Black
May 9th, 2012, 01:22:24 PM
The offer was tempting, she had to admit. If Sorsha were still around she would take the deal, and then politely inform the Queen of her little blue problem and have him dealt with, but then again... if Sorsha were around Molly would not be in this situation. "That sounds remarkably more like blackmail than a mutually beneficial offer, sweetcheeks."

She glanced down the isle, as if weighing in the possibilities of escape for the umpteenth time. "Maybe..", she offered. "Or maybe you're the filthy criminal harassing me and here I am, poor thing, trying to turn myself in and explain myself." Molly could spin a very convincingly tale if she had to.

"What makes you think I don't have one of my contacts waiting for me with just such a card? And who are you anyway?", she squished her lips into a frown.

"If I'm going to consider your proposal I'm going to need more than just your assurance that me spilling my beans is worth it. Sweeten the deal for me.", she smiled sweetly.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
May 9th, 2012, 01:54:45 PM
He slipped the identichit back into his pocket and sat back from the table. Forming a steeple of his fingertips, he considered his target with a seemingly blank stare. The Chiss had a reputation for being a species as cold and unyielding as their homeworld of Csilla and Sev'ilen'sabosen was not about to portray himself as anything other than an exemplar of his species. He spoke quickly, knowing full well that time was of the essence.

“You gain a new employer and indefinite freedom from Imperial persecution. I gain a marginally useful and somewhat problematically pert resource. The bargain is weighted in your favour, Molly Black. ”

Molly Black
May 9th, 2012, 03:07:02 PM
"You'll learn to love me...", she promised, somewhat smugly.

They were docking, and time was out, but there was not really a decision to make. Perhaps one to be renegotiated later, Molly told herself.

"Wait did you just insult me?", she exclaimed, rising from her seat, she lifted up on tip-toe to retrieve her single bag from the overhead cargo storage. She scrambled about, patting around to find it.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
May 15th, 2012, 12:10:39 PM
“Insult? Hm. Perhaps you're sharper than I thought.”

As the carriage began to rise to their feet as one, preparing to disembark, the Chiss joined them. He had no luggage of his own but, standing tall above Molly Black, he was able to retrieve her bag from the overhead storage without difficulty. He didn't hand the bag over, however. Instead, he took a step to the side and gestured towards the shuttles exit.

“After you.”

Molly Black
May 23rd, 2012, 02:01:55 PM
She had been about to thank him for helping her with her bag when he did that annoying thing again, making her decision for her. Taking her bag! Like she was some curly headed little fool who couldn't find her own way out of the transport's fresher if the door shut. She did not succumb to the biting need to swat at his hands and get her bag back. Instead, Molly just arched a dark brow at him, then sank into the clumsiest, artless exaggeration of a curtsy ever, one long leg tucked awkwardly behind the other, her daringly short skirt bunched in her hand.

"Very good, sir.", she mocked sweetly, then obidiently sauntered off ahead of him.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Jan 17th, 2014, 12:46:21 PM
He followed as the crowd poured out onto the busy docking platform and flowed towards the narrow doorways manned by Imperial security.

As they neared the checkpoint that would determine whether they were permitted to enter Cloud City proper, the Chiss dipped a hand into his pocket and retrieved the identichit, passing it to Molly with deft sleight of hand. He fell into step beside her and took her hand in his, holding it tight.

He dipped his head closer to hers.

“We're newly weds returning from a honeymoon in the Unknown Regions,” he said, voice flat.

Molly Black
Jan 17th, 2014, 07:24:17 PM
"How romantic, dearest.", she replied without missing a beat.

Twisting the chit in her hand, Molly's blue eyes widened a little bit. Dragging her feet a little, she mumbled against his shoulder as they stepped even closer to their inspection, they were next in fact. "Sweetheart..", she said in a nervous sing-song voice. "I'm not sure I can say that.. let alone spell it if they ask!", she whispered.

She started to panic. This was a bad idea. This guy was going to get her killed. She didn't even know his name! Later, some guy she used to serve drinks to at the Cloud 9 was going to buffing the char stain that was the late Molly Black.

"Next.." Someone said.

"Next!"

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Jan 18th, 2014, 10:10:57 AM
A blank faced customs officer stared at the two of them as they stepped up for inspection. The Chiss presented his credentials and when Molly was not forth coming with hers, the customers officer looked up with a frown. She caught the look, fortunately, and handed over the identichit that the Chiss had given her just moments ago. Both documents were inspected with a level of scrutiny perhaps too severe for a place like Cloud City, where the coming and going of strangers of all shapes and colours was a regular occurrence.

Nevertheless, the Imperial on duty on this particular day was very taken with the idea of his being the gatekeeper to the city.

“What brings you both to Cloud City?” he practically grunted.

Molly Black
Jan 18th, 2014, 05:47:34 PM
Sensing her 'spouse' was going to be of no further help in this situation forced Molly to think quick, and act good. Like she'd just returned from weeks of romantic interludes with the Chiss squeezing her hand, she turned suddenly adoring in his hold. Sidling up to him and turning that besotted gaze of hers on him like he was the only star in the system, she pressed her free hand to his chest as she replied to the customs officer without taking her eyes from her new employer.

"Cookie here is taking me shopping. Lost one of my suitcases on the cruise.", she smiled, like the loss was minimal in the scheme of things.

Dragging her eyes away like it as a chore, she peeked over at the custom's officer. "They tell me that the ports of call on the Unknown regions tour were a sight to behold. Tragically, I missed most of it, be-holding this." She indicated her 'Chiss husband' with a cheeky grin. "Right, baby?"

"Will this take much longer...?", she pouted.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Jan 25th, 2014, 08:47:38 AM
“As long as it takes,” bit back the Imperial, with a dead-pan look.

The Chiss didn't react, either to the blunt reply or to the woman practically draping herself over him. His expression was a master-class in neutrality. His red eyes watched as the customs officer turned their identity cards over once, then twice, inspecting them for any sign of forgery. He would find none – though whether that was because the forgery was fantastic, or he was simply an idiot, was a matter for discussion.

Lacking any justification for suspicion on that account, the Imperial eyed Molly.

“Did you bring any.. foreign produce back from the Unknown Regions?”

Molly Black
Jan 25th, 2014, 11:02:36 AM
For a second there Molly just blinked, and when she did respond it was not to the officer, but to the man at her side. "He really doesn't get we didn't leave the cabin, does he?"

Regretfully releasing the man in her arms, Molly stepped forward suddenly all business. "I'm sorry. Guess I just haven't counted my honeymoon over as yet, but if you insist.."

"Mrs. Temperance Minock.", she indicated herself, with her splayed fingers against her chest. "No, I have no animals, vegetables or minerals with me other than what you see right here. I did not exit the luxury liner at any time during the cruise, at any port of call. I did not purchase any goods because I didn't leave our room the entire time."

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Jan 27th, 2014, 02:52:42 PM
Whether or not the customs agent believed Molly's story, he'd cleared heard enough of it. Behind the unusual pair, there was a long line of irritated passengers waiting to be seen to. With a reluctant grunt, the customs agent slapped Molly and the Chiss's identichits back into their hands and waved the two of them by. “Welcome to Cloud City.”

For the first time since arriving, Vilen smiled. He held out an arm and Molly, as if on reflex, hooked her arm with his as they moved into the space-port proper. Inside the port, it was a lot less crowded and frantic, as new arrivals were eager to get back into the city and those passengers still waiting for their departure flights were occupying themselves with the ports many cafes and shops.

“That wasn't so hard, was it,” he said, without looking down at her. The smile was gone.

Molly Black
Jan 27th, 2014, 04:49:30 PM
One would think that gaining entrance to Cloud City would have made Molly Black happy, since it had been her only concern not so long ago. Unfortunately she had a whole new set of problems now, one of which was leading her along through the spaceport. When they had put a good distance between them and the security checkpoint, Molly tugged her arm free from his, her smile too gone.

"Yeah... piece of spice cake."

It was not that Molly was ungrateful for his sudden appearance, or the new ID, she was, but she was not sure what the little miracles were going to cost her in the end. For all she knew, she was just making her crummy situation much, much worse. Being lugged around by her as yet unknown Chiss benefactor who towered over her, even in her heels, was not helping matters. The truth was, she was more than just a little scared of him.

"I don't suppose you'd care to enlighten a girl on who you are, and what it is you think I know?"

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Feb 1st, 2014, 10:58:16 AM
She had her arm back, but the bag was still in his hands.

“Sev'ilen'sabosen,” he said, his name tripping off his tongue in a tumble of vowels. “Vilen, if you prefer.”

The Chiss took a step to the side and motioned for Molly to do the same, to put both of them out of the way of the foot traffic moving through the Port of Entry. They'd left behind most of the crowds, but there were people loitering about looking at job and bounty postings on a nearby video wall.

Vilen kept his voice low as he went on: “I know that you're connected in some way to the Black Sun – as an informant, most likely, since you don't have the physique to be an enforcer – and that means that you have contacts and connections that are otherwise difficult to come by.”

Molly Black
Feb 1st, 2014, 01:52:13 PM
Vilen. Well.. aren't you just; she thought, following him to the side of the spaceport traffic.

So, he did know her after all. A rather unladylike curse, at just how much he knew, was muttered while he continued. It was all true. She had been an informant. One of the most well informed, and more importantly discreet infochants that the criminal syndicate had actually. The knowing of details was not nearly as important as the knowledge of who to sell them to, and how to go about it. Her quick thinking and uncommon discretion had earned her the trust not only of the Black Sun, but also that of her daytime boss, Mu Satach - who was no one to be taken lightly. Mu got mad, people got bloodied, or disappeared entirely.

"I could be.", she said of being an enforcer. "Maybe I'm an incredibly dangerous maniac?", she posed.

"That being the case, there's no telling what's in my bag. It could be full of detonators about to go kaboom!"

It was full of no such thing. Frilly underthings, her makeup and a chipped tea cup (http://theholo.net/forum/showthread.php?14522-I-Had-An-Angel&p=183178&viewfull=1#post183178) that meant the world to her, that was all Molly carried around, and she was a little concerned he might not be as careful with the contents as she would like.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Feb 1st, 2014, 04:23:01 PM
Red eyes watched her for a moment, as if waiting for her to make good on the suggestion that she was a maniac. She went on and Vilen frowned.

“If that's true, I should take necessary precautions and throw the case off the edge of the city immediately.”

He turned, ready to stalk away from her towards the nearest guard rail that kept the citizens of Cloud City from taking a long, very final tumble into the clouds beneath them.

Molly Black
Feb 1st, 2014, 05:08:50 PM
Giving a belated cry of distress at the very thought, Molly was on him like the color blue. Wrapping both her much smaller arms around his arm that was carrying her bag. She had a tenacious grip on him, even going so far as to dig her fancy heels into the ground, fully prepared to make him drag her along like dead weight if she had to.

"Don't. You. Dare." Her words were angry, but the look in her blue eyes was one of tortured panic.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Feb 3rd, 2014, 08:53:45 AM
He stopped, looking down at her with eyes that were a contrast to her own: cool, focused.

“Are you ready to have a rational conversation?”

Molly Black
Feb 3rd, 2014, 11:30:58 AM
She was ready to rethink her previous plan of beating him to death with one of her heels and making a run for it.

Molly didn't even answer him, just pressed her color-enhanced lips into a stubborn, resolute line, tightening her arms around him further. Shaking her head at him was the best she could muster right now. 'No', the direction indicated, she was feeling quite far from rational thought presently, with him threatening to pitch her bag over into endless clouds.

Already scared of the guy, the threat of losing the only thing Molly had left connecting her to her mother was the figurative straw that broke the eopie's back. If he dropped that, she didn't care if the Imperials caught up with her and tossed her over to follow it.

A shaky little breath escaped her before she felt collected enough to attempt speech. "Please... ddddon't drop it.."

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Feb 14th, 2014, 02:54:15 PM
He stared down at her, head cocked a fraction to the side. She might have been looking at him like a wounded animal, but he was almost certain that if his grip was to slip and the bag fell away into the clouds below, she would pounce on him like a feral beast.

“I'd rather not conduct business with you under threat of blackmail, Molly Black,” he paused, the words '...or worse' hanging unspoken in the silence.

Molly Black
Feb 15th, 2014, 01:42:34 PM
Being the big girl that she was, Molly could accept facts. Right now the facts just so happened to be that she had no real options here, not without risking more than she was willing to. She really had no idea who this Sev'ilen'sabosen was, or what he was capable of. Until she did, maintaining a healthy bit of fear was advisable. He had the upper hand, for now. The minute he didn't.. well then they would just see about that.

"Give it back...", she somehow managed to force her voice into something calm. "Then I'll...converse rationally."

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Feb 16th, 2014, 04:15:48 AM
He did as she asked and held out the bag. It wasn't that he believed her. Vilen saw the sway that the bag held over her. It would have been a simple thing to exploit it, but his intentions weren't to take advantage of Molly Black.

A pair of armoured Stormtroopers ambled up the ped-walk towards them. He could hear the muted crackle coming from their headsets as they shared a conversation, one of them laughing. Red eyes shifting between the two of them and Molly, the Chiss said nothing.

Molly Black
Feb 21st, 2014, 01:14:03 PM
She heard the Stormtroopers coming. The crackling sound preceding them was enough to make goosebumps ripple over the skin across the back of Molly's neck like a warning. Automatically, a more relaxed posture came over her. Reluctantly lowering her bag, she resumed her former position, at Vilen's side. Even going so far as to curl her hand around his arm, much more sweetly this time.

"I know how to move information.", she confirmed quietly.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
Oct 25th, 2015, 02:15:29 AM
The 'troopers glanced at the pair of them, but if they had any opinions on the woman and her Chiss counterpart, they said nothing. In spite of the Imperial presence, Cloud City remained a melting pot of galactic civilisation.

“I know how to move information,” Molly practically whispered.

“Do you have contacts in the Imperial garrison?”

Molly Black
Oct 26th, 2015, 03:12:00 PM
Molly didn't answer right away, unsure of exactly what to say. What she had were not exactly contacts as he meant it. Seemed like the truth worked best in this situation, so she stuck with it. "Not exactly."

Her fingers drummed nervously on Vilen's arm before she continued. "I know some pilots, and a few officers."

She knew them only because of her former employer, Mu had a few favorites that came calling at Bliss, and a few that came calling for her. Either way, she knew which ones liked to drink, and which ones were easily taken in by the right kind of smile. Given the right motivation, they all liked to talk.

"I know a few of every kind, it seems."

Sev'ilen'sabosen
May 10th, 2016, 08:11:04 AM
He smiled, though the expression didn't quite reach his red eyes. He seemed satisfied with what Molly had in the way of contacts, and the confirmation of his suspicions about her connection to the wider city appeared to ease some of the tension and rigidity in his posture.

Stepping to the side, the Chiss touched a hand to the small of her back.

“I'd like a tour of the city – from your perspective. Show me the sights.”

Molly Black
May 10th, 2016, 01:26:13 PM
The sights?

Molly Black had lived and worked on Cloud City for years. Seeing the sights was not something she had ever done personally, she was far too busy for that sort of thing. Then again, she suspected the tourists version of the City in the Clouds was not exactly what Vilen had in mind. Something more prosaic seemed in order for the Chiss. She nodded her understanding.

Maintaining her light hold on Vilen's arm, she started forward. "This way..."

There was a heart to Cloud City, at least there was to Molly Black. One place where all paths merged. Where information was distributed from after being modified to one parties interest or another. One place where you could get The Special, and wind up needing the services of Dr. Henning before dessert.

"I'll take you to Cloud 9."

Sev'ilen'sabosen
May 13th, 2016, 03:23:32 AM
"Wonderful," he said, in a voice that could not have sounded less enthused. Regardless, he was happy to be led by Molly as she set out on what he suspected was a familiar path for her.

"You made a bold move, coming back here."

Molly Black
May 13th, 2016, 12:54:29 PM
"Not many options for me..", she admitted ruefully.

In many ways, it was like she never left. The same little urchin pickpocket was haunting the doors of the lifts that led to Starport District, although he seemed to be older, at least he'd grown taller. Must be a lucrative spot for larceny. Worried that he might remember 'Temperance Minock' as Molly Black, she did her best to avoid his eye contact, while keeping a tight hold on her one and only bag. The lift doors opened and they were admitted into the car, alone for a few floors at least.

"We're going to Port Town, Levels 121-160. ", she explained, keeping her blue eyes fixed ahead of her on the doors, rather than her completely imposing, slightly scary, benefactor. "It's not exactly glamorous, but it is an infochants playground."

It had been a while since her disappearance from the City in the Clouds. While the 'Who' aspect of information trading might have changed hands, she rather doubted that Port Town itself had changed much.

Sev'ilen'sabosen
May 31st, 2016, 01:27:01 AM
The turbolift was soundless, though not silent. The soft strains of something that had once passed for music drifted into the car like noxious gas. Red eyes moved quickly over the listings tacked to the car wall, detailing the highlights of what could be found on the various levels of the city. His attention lingered on Port Town.

“You have friends there?”

Molly Black
May 31st, 2016, 08:36:06 PM
Molly gave the question some thought. She'd had friends in Port Town, sure. Pirates. Thieves. Enforcers. Scoundrels, every one. Were they really her friends though? She had been gone a while, power had shifted. The Black Nebula and it's crime Queen were gone, the assets drawn back into the Black Sun syndicate. People had moved on, gone missing or died.

Did she have friends there?

"I guess we'll find out."