PDA

View Full Version : Looper (2012)

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 13th, 2012, 01:19:54 PM
Time-travelling noir you say? Joseph Gordon Levitt you say? Don't mind if I do

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kGFyVKmqA0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kGFyVKmqA0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Zereth Lancer
Apr 13th, 2012, 01:54:26 PM
You had me at time travel.

Bette Davis
Apr 13th, 2012, 02:50:54 PM
That looks... awesome. :eee

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 25th, 2012, 03:47:51 PM
Booked myself a ticket to see this on Wednesday next week :) It's getting a lot of praise so far.

Captain Untouchable
Sep 25th, 2012, 04:11:47 PM
The latest trailer for this has started showing up before pretty much every YouTube video I watch. I think the internet is trying to tell me something. :ohno

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 26th, 2012, 11:05:37 AM
Seriously. Everything Joseph Gordon-Levitt touches turns to awesome.

Captain Untouchable
Sep 26th, 2012, 11:32:33 AM
It sounds like he's put a ridiculous amount of effort into seeming like a young version of Bruce Willis. He's been studying Bruce's body language, getting him to record clips of tricky lines of dialogue so he can listen to them over and over, and all sorts. I was especially intrigued by the fact that he's trying to seem like a younger version of Bruce Willis as he is now, rather than trying to copycat Bruce Willis from when he was younger.

JGL should be in all the things. :ohno

Sansa
Sep 26th, 2012, 02:24:55 PM
Considering the ridiculous amount of hyperbole the actors have said about this movie "it's the best thing I've ever done" -Bruce Willis, I'm really excited for this movie. :D

Crusader
Sep 27th, 2012, 02:01:24 AM
Would someone please explain me the benefit of this sophisticatet deal where you send people back in time to get killed there?

The idea of this movie makes not much sense to me but I am intrigued by the casting.

Droo
Sep 27th, 2012, 03:03:34 AM
If you were to send someone back in time to be killed then there'd be no evidence against you whatsoever. It's quite an efficient way of disposing of one's enemies. If only I had a TARDIS.

Crusader
Sep 27th, 2012, 03:46:31 AM
Wouldn't the evidence still be there just older?

Sending the guy to the future would make a lot more sense...

Captain Untouchable
Sep 27th, 2012, 04:07:48 AM
If you send someone to the past, no one is looking for the body, because the person is still alive. From the trailers, it looks like the body was cremated (making it extremely hard to find), but even if it wasn't, all the forensic evidence would point to a person who is still alive. It becomes a very confusing John Doe case: and most of the usual angles of prosecution are cut off. It's hard to establish motive when you have absolutely no idea who the person is. The victim appears out of thin air in the middle of nowhere, so there's no evidence of the victim prior to the murder. Basically, you're killing someone who, as far as the legal system can tell, doesn't exist.

On the flipside, there's no statute of limitations on murder, so while sending someone to the future would prevent anyone from finding the body in the present, your future self could still be convicted for it.

Crusader
Sep 27th, 2012, 04:16:27 AM
On the flipside, there's no statute of limitations on murder, so while sending someone to the future would prevent anyone from finding the body in the present, your future self could still be convicted for it.

Bingo! We could get the whole "Minority Report Dilema" or better what if the looper gets arrested for murder but rats out his boss from the future. The district attorney would have around 3 decades to build a case against the mob boss even before he commits the crime.

This whole concept sounds much more complicated and risky to me than putting some old fashoned concrete boots on the bodies.

Captain Untouchable
Sep 27th, 2012, 04:23:26 AM
That only makes sense if the DA knows about / believes in time travel. It's just as likely that they'll diagnose the looper as being a crazy person, and will lock him up for the foreseeable future.

Also, it's interesting that you're talking about building a case against the mob boss for a murder that hasn't happened yet, rather than attempting to prevent the murder from happening. That strays into causality paradox territory and, from the look of the trailer, that's at least part of what the story is about - the idea of doing stuff in the past in order to prevent them in the future.

Captain Untouchable
Sep 29th, 2012, 06:07:22 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! :lol

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkJu5VX972M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lkJu5VX972M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 3rd, 2012, 02:29:19 PM
Just got back from seeing this and I'd highly recommend it.