PDA

View Full Version : An Audience with the Jedi Council?

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:58:05 AM
The captains conference room aboard the Whaladon had been many things and played host to many discussions. Most recently, it had become a command centre of sorts for the Jedi. As traffic within the convoy was restricted to combat air patrols, all communication between the Whaladon and Jedi stationed aboard other vessels came directly via a secure channel to the conference room. Jedi Knight Daria Nytherciria stood in front of the table that dominated the room, unseeing eyes fixed on a flickering, holographic image of Navaria Tarkin.

“I'm currently awaiting clearance from Commodore Tyree to leave the Challenger. I'll join you soon, but don't delay this meeting on my behalf.”

She nodded, a sober set to her features. “Understood. Daria out.”

With the tap of a button, the image of Navaria vanished.

Behind Daria, the door to the conference room slid open. She turned towards the sound, resisting the impulse to lay one hand over the lightsaber hilt that was fixed to her belt.

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 6th, 2012, 12:02:35 PM
Just be calm.

But I'm scared.

Don't be scared. You'll be fine.

But what if they don't like me? What if they don't remember me?

Everyone likes you, and how could they forget you? You're a Jedi Knight. Stop worrying.

Easy for you to say. You saw how that kid in the hall treated me. Now I have to go up against a Master. A Master on the Council!

Just relax. Breathe deep, calm down, find yourself and relax.

For nearly half an hour, Hal had waited in his chair. It wasn't a terribly comfortable chair, nor was the room he found himself in visually pleasing, and Hal's fidgeting had done little to keep him occupied. When he last had to prove himself before the Jedi Council, circumstances had been vastly different. His master had been at his side to help him prepare, and a new set of robes had been specially made just for him.

He wore those trousers, now, three years later. Faded, worn, mended and discolored, they were hardly befitting a knight any longer, and the tall boots they tucked into were disgracefully unpolished and scuffed. But worst of all was his upper body, covered only by a discolored white, sleeveless shirt which clung to his torso, complete with mustard stain. But his fur was clean and shiny, and he'd managed to get a toothbrush, so hopefully his otherwise discheveled appearance could be overlooked.

At last the doors to the Council Chamber slid open. Hal stood, smoothing out his shirt, then took a deep breath.

It's okay. You can do this. You're a knight, and they must know that.

His courage as great as it would ever be in such a situation, Hal strode through the door and into the chamber, finding it actually much smaller than he would have expected. Still, he stood at attention, paws at his sides as he announced himself.

"Jedi Knight Halajiin Rabeak, returned to the Jedi Order."

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:12:36 PM
As a Miraluka – blind, incapable of perceiving the galaxy as most species did – Daria did not see the scuffs on Halajiin's boots or the stain on his shirt. Instead she saw his aura, his presence within the Force. Daria herself wore no robes. Her outfit was closer to an Alliance crewman's: a black shirt bearing the emblem of the Rebellion and black trousers tucked into black combat boots. The lightsaber hooked onto her belt was the only visual clue that Daria wasn't just some soldier who had wandered into the wrong part of the ship. She gave Halajiin her best approximation of a smile, thin and tight-lipped. Ordinarily, the arrival of a Jedi to the convoy would have been a joyous occasion, but Halajiin had not arrived under ordinary circumstances.

“Welcome aboard the Whaladon, Jedi Knight Rabeak. I am Jedi Knight Daria Nytherciria. I.. must apologise on behalf of the other members of the Council for their absence. Circumstances being what they are, it is not always easy for us to gather in one place.”

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:29:27 PM
Oooookay, not what we were expecting. His higher functions said.

Yeah, I thought there'd be, like... more of them.

More than just one, at least.

I miss the grandeur.

Hal swallowed against a dry throat. He had prepared himself for an examination of sorts, a means of proving himself, but this... this appeared more desperate than he'd been led to believe. Glancing about the room, then back to the blind councilwoman, he dared to ask what was on his mind.

"And, just what are the circumstances?" he asked. "I'm afraid I've been... away... for a very long time."

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:14:28 PM
Some aspects of their circumstances were self-evident and though there was a great deal Daria could have told Halajiin, she was reluctant to divulge anything further without first getting to understand more about their unexpected visitor. After all, trust was in short supply aboard the ships of the Wheel, particularly where new arrivals were concerned. She gestured him further into the conference room. There were chairs scattered in no particular setting around the table and along one length of the room a narrow window peered out over the jumble of civilian and military vessels that was the Wheel.

“I had heard as much, though it was not made clear exactly how long you have been.. away.”

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:36:35 PM
Sooo much different from Coruscant.

Yeah, but there's still ships outside. That's... sorta homey.

Taking a seat on one of the chairs, Hal let it creak and groan a bit as he settled, resting his paws together on the table.

"I'm not sure how much of what I've been told is true, but so far it all appears to be accurate," he began.

"I was captured on a mission, and frozen in carbonite for transport. My guess is that it was the remnants of the Merestri crime syndicate I brought down, but I honestly can't remember a large chunk of that day. In any case, that was one hundred and seven years ago, and I was found by some Alliance men a few days ago. They thawed me out, had the doctor check me over, and for the most part I'm back to normal."

Fidgeting his thumbs one over the other, Hal was nervous, and in a sense still frightened of the change. His tail swished from side to side for want of something to do, and he carried on. "This... this isn't what I'm used to. I grew up on Nehantish, but came to the Order when I was almost sixteen. I trained under Master Trevarius as his first pupil, and was knighted when I was twenty. To me, that was three years ago. I lived in the Jedi complex on Coruscant, and there were hundreds of us, then. I've been told that everything's gone to hell in a handbasket, now, though, and from the state of what I've seen... I believe it."

Hal stared out the window, looking at the infinite expanse of stars. "I'm just one man, and I don't know what good that'll do against such an enemey as we seem to have now, but, I don't know anything else. This is who I am, and I want to keep being it, no matter the form we have to take, now. I'm asking for the chance to join your Order, as a knight."

After a short pause, he looked back to Daria. "And in case you don't believe me, I should be in the archives, for sure."

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 7th, 2012, 07:05:48 AM
It was not so long ago that the Jedi that welcomed another visitor who had been displaced from their own time (http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22052). Perching on the edge of the conference table, arms crossed over her chest, Daria considered which of the two situations would be the most challenging to adapt to. When she thought back on how much had changed in the last century, it was baffling. Their galaxy bore only a shadow of similarity to the Republic as it had once been.

“Coruscant is currently under Imperial occupation,” she began. “As such, we have no access to the Jedi Archives. What little information we hold from that time is in the form of individual Jedi holocrons or personal recollections.”

Even then, she thought, there was no other Jedi living who would have been alive in the time that Rabeak spoke of. There were some of them who had been trained in the temple. Some had fought in the Clone Wars, whilst others – like Daria – had been so young that they could recall only fragments of what temple life had been like before the Empire had shattered the peace. Though he had been torn from the world he knew into a place that was shrouded by uncertainty, Halajiin had been spared the dark times following the Purge. She could almost envy him for that. Almost.

“I sense truth in your words, Halajiin, but if you will permit it... allowing a member of the Jedi Council to see into your mind should provide clarification that everything you have told us is the truth. I must confess, I am not familiar with the physiology of your species. Would a telepathic connection between the two of us be possible?”

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 7th, 2012, 09:12:00 AM
The Nehantite paused at such a suggestion. He didn't fear the act, and felt he had little to hide which would cast doubt on his honesty, but there were other things he did not wish for Daria to find. Things like: wondering if she was single, wondering if she had a thing for guys with fur, what she looked like under those robes, and if she might like to get to know him better over a bottle of wine and some smooth music, later on.

Can't you just turn off for a few minutes? His higher functions asked himself.

I can try, but I can't promise anything. I am instinct, after all.

I know, but still. She doesn't need to see - Gah! Garfife, no! If you think of that image while she's in your head, you'll be thrown out an airlock for sure!

I'm sorry! I can't help it!

Well then, try closing your eyes, and I'll do one of those relaxation and mind-clearing exercises that Trevarius taught us.

Those are sooooo boring. But, okay. You got it.

Hal took a deep breath, trying to get the two halves of himself to work together on this one. The entire exchange had taken but a millisecond, and when he looked back to Daria, he nodded.

She's blind, you idiot.

"It can be done," he replied. "Though not without a bit of discomfort on my end. We Nehantites have learned that our brains aren't actually quite as advanced as most, in that area, so it's not something we choose to do a lot of, but... yes, I'll do it."

Standing, Hal paced down the table to sit next to Daria, and he bravely took her hands in his own paws, leading them up to his temples. Bare skin always felt a bit unusual to him, but over the years he had gotten used to it, and rather grown to like it.

"And, please, just call me Hal."

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 7th, 2012, 12:18:35 PM
“Very well.. Hal. I shall be as gentle as I can.”

Spreading her fingertips into the fur at Halajiin's temples, Daria steadied herself with a deep breath in, then out. Caution dictated that she should wait until Navaria or one of the others arrived before attempting something so intimate as peering into the Nehantite's thoughts and memories. The energies of the Force that surrounded him felt irregular, misshapen even, but when she searched her feelings, she felt no deception in him. What she saw was a reflection of his displacement within the galaxy, as the Force tried to reconcile what should be with what was.

With a gasp of breath, the conference room rushed out from beneath Daria as her consciousness flooded into Halajiin's, her ghostly perception of the world suddenly replaced by the dazzling array of colours and textures that was so ordinary for the rest of the Galaxy. What she saw was new to her, yet also familiar, like something she had glimpsed in a dream: the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 7th, 2012, 01:53:29 PM
Closing his own eyes, Hal could see it all as well, as if he were back there in person once more. He could see each facet in the cut glass windows of the Temple's great lobby, and hear the traffic outside, but he could also feel a pain. In the back of his head, the dull throb started, and he knew it would only get worse with time. While Nehantites were capable of telepathy, they weren't quite ready for it, yet, and it caused an increasing headache the longer it went on. But he soldiered on, and as Daria searched for more, he decided to give her a guided tour.

But it wasn't just to be a tour of the Temple and surrounding complex, it would be a tour of his journey thus far. Initiation, his trials and tests, then his first set of padawan robes. The room he shared with a fellow padawan a first, followed by lessons both in the complex and even off-world. His knighthood ceremony stood out significantly in his memory, and Hal appeared every bit a respectable Jedi in new robes and polished boots, his fur trimmed just right. And then came the after-party, which he tried to skip, but the sheer mischief and improper behavior was firmly engrained in his memory too much to skip over it entirely.

From there it was off to assignments on his own, ones of diplomacy at first, followed by a series of reprimands for his behavior and representation of the Republic because of it. Other assignments followed, some requiring the use of his red-bladed lightsaber, others more secretive and undercover, dealing with a seedy crowd and infiltrating crime syndicates. There was more alcohol, and some drugs, and sections of his mind were warped or missing because of their effects while undercover, but throughout there were reports to the Council, and lovely images of a nice Temple apartment complete with a tidy, efficient kitchenette.

And through it all there were flashes of images of ladies of a variety of races, but Hal tried to push those aside, focusing on his life as a Jedi, right up until he recalled eating breakfast at a diner, then his entire memory cut out until images of Ben and Cirrsseeto appeared, and his journey here aboard the Skipper closed out his adventure.

In the end, Hal had to pull back, rubbing his temples as his head throbbed. Such intense telepathy had taken a considerable toll on his more animalistic mind, and he grunted softly, still trying to hide his discomfort.

"I, I think that's about all I can do, for now," he panted.

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:40:12 PM
The connection snapped and Daria took a step backwards, steadying herself with one hand against the conference table. Jumbled images flickered before her eyes as she struggled to piece together what she had seen. Not just images but emotions too. There was contentment and pride but also shame, desperation. Self-loathing and doubt. the feelings faded as the seconds ticked by, leaving only a lingering hint of fatigue in their absence.

Licking her lips then clearing her throat, Daria looked back up at Hal with a new depth of perspective.

“Thank you... for sharing that with me. I see now that you are a Jedi Knight of significant.. experience.”

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 7th, 2012, 03:07:19 PM
"Some experiences better than others," Hal replied.

Oh, Garffie, why did you say that?

Get off it, she totally saw. Even you couldn't keep all that suppressed.

How much do you think she saw?

Enough, is my guess.

Blast. Well, let's see if we can salvage this.

"I'm sorry if any of that was upsetting. I know I'm not a perfect Jedi, and I'll admit to getting into trouble from time to time, but I'm here now, and I intend to make the best of... whatever's still left," he explained.

As he spoke, his eyes drifted down from her face to her chest, and stayed there for a bit, knowing that Daria was blind, now. After all, what she couldn't see couldn't hurt her, right?

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 7th, 2012, 03:33:21 PM
Travel between the capital ship and the Whaladon took little time. It was the clearance that causes delay to ensure patrols were aware of the transfer to keep the way clear. And with the mess with Vega Van-Derveld's infiltration of the Jedi carrier, security was heightened immediately, even for one like Navaria.

Upon arriving, she checked in with security and immediately went to the conference room where Daria was waiting with their new visitor. It was rather peculiar to have such another odd displaced Jedi to contact them so soon after Bryna's arrival, but it would appear that something of significance was on the horizon - and not merely related to what was revealed recently.

The guards outside the conference room nodded to the Jedi Master as one opened the door for her - and was met with an image not expected. It was clear that the meeting was not delayed due to her unfortunate, but necessary, tardiness. However, the last image she would have expected was the new Jedi making no qualms about staring at Daria's chest.

Jealously didn't factor into her mindset. It was an unnecessary emotion in regards to her relationship with the Miraluku.

Crossing her arms and raising a brow, she cleared her throat and smiled. "Apologies for my late arrival."

She decided to leave it at that, allowing Daria to introduce her to the unruly looking Jedi sitting across from her. And unlike Daria's appearance, Navaria was dressed more traditionally, something that Hal could find some comfort in perhaps. Light tan inner robes were secured by her belt with matching pants that were tucked into darker brown boots. The outer robe was also dark and currently cloaked the lightsaber that was against her side.

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 7th, 2012, 03:47:12 PM
Alarm klaxons sounded in Hal's head as he was caught staring, and the Nehantite stumbled as he jumped up to his feet. Once upright, he stood at attention, nodding hello to the newcomer.

"No apology necessary, Master," Hal replied. "Master Daria just went through my mind to validate my, er, authenticity."

I sound like a tool!

Well, it's either that or idiot, take your pick.

Why can't I sound like a confident, attractive male, for once?

Because she's even hotter than the blind one, and there are some aspects of your nature I can never, ever get the better of.

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 7th, 2012, 03:58:37 PM
Feeling steady on her feet once again, Daria welcomed Navaria to the conference room with a small smile. She glanced at Hal, not expecting an emotional reaction from him to Navaria's appearance but searching for one nonetheless. Her face was unmistakably recognisable to every living resident of the galaxy and yet Daria felt no surge of surprise or panic in Hal. It was further confirmation that everything he had shown the Miraluka was true. Either that, or he was a fantastic liar with a perfect Sabacc face.

“Master Tarkin. This is Halajiin Rabeak... Knight of the Jedi Order. Jedi Knight Rabeak was a member of the Order before the Purge. Decades before the Purge, in fact.”

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 7th, 2012, 04:05:24 PM
Feeling the need to explain himself, Hal scratched an itch which had developed at the back of his neck, while his tail flicked idly. Hal had never been much good at keeping composed before the Council.

"Er, yeah. I've, uh, kinda been frozen in carbonite for a hundred and seven years, so I'm told," he said. "I don't really recommend trying it, to be honest."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 7th, 2012, 06:27:14 PM
She noticed his posture, sensed his nervousness and uncrossed her arms to give the Jedi a smile. "I do believe that is something I'd like to avoid," she said and motioned for Hal to sit, "Please sit. We don't have to keep this so formal."

The way Daria had introduced Hal had dissipated any suspicions they had to this displaced Knight. If there had been anything out of place, the Miraluku would have already informed her or had this being taken into custody.

"You're the first being I've met to have been frozen for so long. Has all of the hibernation sickness worn off or are you still experiencing any side effects?"

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 7th, 2012, 07:46:17 PM
Hal's tail swayed more fluidly as he was told to relax, and he sank back into his chair. Resisting staring at either woman's rack was difficult, but the Nehantite persevered. After all, you only get to make first impressions once.

"It's mostly over with," Hal replied. "Still have some trouble falling asleep, as well as waking back up without some severe grogginess, and this eye is still only seeing in black and white." He pointed to his left eye. "But otherwise I seem to be okay, as far as I know, and from what the doctor on the Novgorod told me."

Clearing his throat, he did sit up a bit straighter. "I realize I must be quite a, uh, unusual subject for you, and from what I gather, nothing is how I remember it being, but I'd like to be able to stay. With some time to adjust, and to study up on everything that's happened since I was frozen, I feel I can be of use as a Jedi again."

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 8th, 2012, 04:50:18 AM
Though it was wise to be cautious where new arrivals were concerned, they had need of experienced Jedi now more than ever. Not only would it have been unnecessarily cruel to turn Hal away, it would have also meant the loss of a potentially valuable ally. By all accounts, Hal had recovered quickly after waking from his century-long sleep. In less urgent circumstances, they could have given him more time to reacquaint himself with the galaxy.

“We are lacking in able mentors and teachers for the less experienced Jedi aboard the convoy,” Daria said, thinking aloud as she glanced toward Navaria.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 10th, 2012, 02:52:40 PM
Navaria's lips grew pensive and thought about the suggestion but ended up shaking her head no. "I do believe that suggestion is a bit premature Daria. I feel that Halajiin needs an adjustment period considering the time gap since he last was with Jedi of any kind."

She looked at him earnestly, wondering if her assessment was true. "Does that sound reasonable?"

As with Bryna, Halajiin was thrust into circumstances that were even more foreign, as it could be argued. He wasn't completely healed and there was a mass of information that would overwhelm even Navaria if their roles were reversed.

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:35:43 PM
"Well, for me it's only been about five days since I was last surrounded by Jedi," Hal said without even thinking.

Hey! Consult me first before you open your big mouth!

What? It's true!

Totally not what she meant. Here, let me handle this.

"But this is certainly not the setting I left, and I feel I do need at least a few days to catch up and figure things out. I was slated to take on my first padawan soon, according to my old Council, so... with your permission, I'd like to get back to you on this subject in about a week or so, once I've got my bearings."

Clearing his throat, he then brought up another topic. "However... I am at a bit of a disadvantage, somewhere else, too. Um, it turns out that focusing crystals don't take too well to carbonite freezing, and... my lightsaber's crystal kind of... blew up when I was going to have a spar with young master Loki. I know this is a lot to ask, and I would like to go find a replacement crystal on my own, soon, but... you wouldn't happen to have a captured Sith saber or something I could cannibalize a crystal out of, would you? It would be purely temporary. I've heard a bit of what just happened, and I don't want to be unarmed in case I need to come to the aid of defense."

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 16th, 2012, 02:22:21 PM
“A few days to.. catch up would be prudent, yes.”

Daria nodded. As the topic of their conversation shifted, her expression tightened somewhat. The 'saber that she herself carried had been taken from a Sith, after he had destroyed the only lightsaber she had ever crafted. Part of her wondered whether the weapon had any part in her earlier brushes with the Dark Side, though she was confident now that any corruption influence had long-since been banished.

“I'm sorry to hear of the damage to your lightsaber. To my knowledge, there are no spare components within the convoy. Each of us carries only the weapons that we arrived with.”

She shared an pensive glance with Navaria.

“I suspect that the time is fast approaching when we will have to seek out a new source of focusing crystals.”

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 17th, 2012, 09:13:45 AM
Blast, they're in an even worse way than we thought.

Hmm, this might impress them...

"I got my last one on Ilum. If there's a ship headed that way, I could take some heavy clothing and go see what I can find that's mature and bring back my harvest," Hal offered.

"Place is colder than Hoth, but once you're in the caves it's much more tolerable."

You know, that's actually not a bad idea. Bring back enough and you'll get in everyone's good graces right quick and in a hurry.

When will you admit that all my ideas are good ideas?

There are so many things wrong with what you just said, I'm not even going to answer that.

Daria Nytherciria
Apr 21st, 2012, 11:32:23 AM
Daria lifted both brows, unable to conceal her surprise.

“The navigational data supplied to us by the Alliance is somewhat... lacking where Ilum is concerned. Do you think it possible that you would be able to chart a course there, if provided with a suitable vessel?”

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 21st, 2012, 11:47:46 AM
Holy crap, they're about to trust you with a ship.

Hey! I'm a good pilot!

Good at crashing things.

Dude, that was one time!

So, the asteroid field doesn't count?

Okay, two times.

And the time you took off a wing of a parked shuttle?

Okay, three times...

An the time you -

Okay, okay, I get it! Still, work with me on this!

Glancing from Daria to Navaria and back, the Nehantite nodded, a confident smile working up his face.

Hey! Put that smile back! You're faking! You can't have a confident smile when I don't trust you!

Can it, Pointdexter.

"I could, Master. Of course, I'd need to check charts and see exactly where we are in relation to Ilum, first. I, uh, don't really know how far I floated along for the last century or so," he finished with a chuckle.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:02:19 AM
"It should be quite easy to work with our current star charts to acclimate yourself to where you are now in regards to where Ilum is. However, I believe it's prudent that any actual trip to Ilum occurs after security has tightened thoroughly around the fleet. Once we have everything in place and are comfortable with our charts, you can lead a team in the near future."

Things were too delicate now to risk sending a newly found Jedi who's trust was slowly being accepted and right now resources had to be ensuring the safety of the fleet and the Jedi within it.