PDA

View Full Version : A Good Find

Ruz'im
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:18:41 PM
If there was one thing that alternately amused and irritated Zev Monsula, owner of Zev Monsula's Repair and Modification Emporium (Better prices cannot be found!), about his best mechanic, it was that the Verpine was always cheerful.

At the moment, the Verpine was singing a five part harmony of "Blasterproof" with the help of a vox comm device that could alternate between different pitches at once. It was the low bass coupled with a vaguely Coruscanti soprano that really made the entire thing surreal.

"Thizz time baby, thizz one will bee... Blazzterproof," the sentient insect hummed while smacking a swoopbike's exhaust vent grating back into place. It's head bobbed slightly in time with the music only it could hear, but Zev had heard the tune so many times he could have told anyone exactly how far into the song the Verpine had gotten.

With one last delighted smash, the Verpine dropped the hammer it was using and carefully slid the piece into its proper place. Deftly, it placed a hydrospanner to the bolts and tightened them, all the while waving another of its limbs about as if it were orchestrating the entire song from where he sat.

Zev debated interrupting the mechanic; sometimes it entered trances and would do impossible things with the least technology, or fix a previously unfixable gadget or even hyperdrive with a hydrospanner and a stick of glue.

Interrupting those trances invariably put Ruz'im (as he had taken to calling him; the original Ruzegh'wlym was a tad bit difficult to say) off, making him dizzy and sometimes confusing him on what he'd been doing while in the trance.

"Ruz'im!" Zev finally called. The Verpine turned it's eyes to face him.

"Yezz? How may thizz one help Mazzter Zzev?" It stood and stalked (not threateningly, but the creature's default gait was unmistakeably creepy). "Hazz thizz one dizzpleazzed Mazzter? Izz punishment in order?"

"No, no. Nothing like that, Ruz'im," Zev said. "I need you to go get parts for fixing a high end Thorsen Field Driver."

"Thorsen Field Driver?" The Verpine place the end of its forwardmost limb to its mandibles in a very human gesture. "Very dangerouzz. I shall go and find one then, Mazzter."

"Take your time, Ruz'im," Zev said, feeling magnanimous. "We've made a good profit this month, so don't run yourself ragged. I think you've earned yourself a short little break, eh?"

"Thizz one will enjoy a rezzpite," Ruz'im said. "And the deliciouzz sugared snack drinks will be more enjoyable for being conzzumed during break time!"

"Yeah," Zev said. "I'll see you in four hours."

--------------------------------

Ruz'im continued humming that most catchy tune as he meandered through the stalls of the Market, listening and cataloguing everything he could. The population here was too mixed to glean any information concerning the social structures and interactions of any one species, but it was eye-opening for showing how exactly all these different cultures and could mix.

"Thizz one would like to purchazze a mozzt deliciouzz sugared drink," Ruz'im said to a stall owner. She blinked, but nodded.

"...Okay. What kind?"

"Ruz'im izz feeling curious today. What would you recommend? Azzide from any carbonated beverages; Ruz'im lackzz the ability to pass gas either through hizz forward or rear orificezz, leading to a death mozzt painful."

"Do you now?" the woman said, an odd expression contorting her facial features. Ruz'im was able to deduce that she was amused.

"How about you leave now. I have some business with the lady."

Ruz'im turned, his antennae twitching rapidly as a large Togrutan male stalked forward. The woman frowned.

"Leave, Dehsoga. I told you I'm not interested."

"Perhaps I can convince you otherwise," Dehsoga said with a leer. "I can beat you until you say yes, you know."

"Drogan won't stand for that," she hissed, though she looked afraid. "He wants his money back, he'll have to wait for it, just like everyone else."

"If you would pleazze wait your turn, thizz one wazz about to receive a mozzt delicious uncarbonated sugared drink. Afterwardzz, perhapzz thizz one can assist with your problem in zzuch a way azz to keep violence from breaking out? Such an odd turn of phrase. Azz if violence were a rash, or an annoying onset of pustulezz cauzzed by the clogging of porezz with bodily oils."

"I think you've said enough," Dehsoga said with an ugly frown. Two other Togrutan males stepped forward from the small crowd surrounding them.

"Thizz one izz glad to have said enough," Ruz'im replied, waggling his forelimbs in excitement. He'd accomplished diplomacy with another species!

The three Togrutans stalked threateningly toward the Verpine, who managed to look confused, despite having no ability to make facial expressions.

Perhaps he hadn't managed to accomplish diplomacy after all. Violence would, indeed break out.