PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new profile field(s)?

Jaden Luka
Mar 19th, 2012, 08:23:09 AM
Since a lot of us have a main and/or out of character account that we post from, would it be worth asking Ogre if he can add / re-purpose one of the fields on the profile page so that we can refer back / link back to that?

Aris V'larr
Mar 19th, 2012, 08:51:30 AM
Do you mean link back to your primary OOC account from your IC accounts? Because if you just want to mark all your characters as belonging to Captain Untouchable, you could do that with your profile picture.

Torrsk Oruo'rel
Mar 19th, 2012, 09:26:54 AM
I most certainly could. But it would only really be a useful idea if everyone did it, hence bringing it up. :)

At the moment, this says that "Person A owns Characters X, Y, and Z". It is useful, but you have to be looking at the right person's list. Sure you can CTRL+F to speed things up, but if the accounts themselves said "This Character is owned by Person A", it cuts out the rummaging through lists aspect. It'd be a little less... clunky, I guess.

Since Ogre already tweaked the code to add in the RP Setting and Image Claim fields in the profile, I was wondering if something similar might work. That way it's obvious to everyone (ie. new people) what needs to go in there and what it means; and it still leaves the picture space free for those who actually have a picture in it (some people do).

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 19th, 2012, 02:31:13 PM
Do you mean link back to your primary OOC account from your IC accounts? Because if you just want to mark all your characters as belonging to Captain Untouchable, you could do that with your profile picture.

This is a fantastic idea. I just did it with all my accounts.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2012, 02:34:57 PM
I'm too lazy to go through and edit all of my accounts v:)v

If anyone wants to ever know if a character is me, just post a thread in this forum saying "Paging [CHARACTER X]" and I'll come a'runnin.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 19th, 2012, 02:42:29 PM
You better not be too lazy to come a'runnin. :colbert

Ben Merasska
Mar 19th, 2012, 03:35:50 PM
<== Check mine out! I figured it's easy enough to have my current profile picture in the profile, along with the name, so it'd be easier to find me on the boards.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 19th, 2012, 03:47:00 PM
Can you attach a hyperlink to a profile picture?

The profile picture is a good plan regardless... but lets say that hypothetically, Mitch wanted to send me a PM about one of my Jedi on the Wheel, one of my lesser-used Mutant characters, or something like that. A picture that says "Jace" is great, assuming that Mitch knows who Jace is... which up until yesterday's AIM chat, he didn't.

Armed with that knowledge, he can then start a new PM and type the name in manually... whereas if there were a hyperlink to the appropriate profile page he'd be able to do it in a couple of mouse clicks.

That's kinda why I suggested a field, since we're already (supposed to be ^_^;) linking to our wiki pages like that anyhow.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2012, 03:51:47 PM
Just to avoid cluttering the who's who thread, I made split all of this chatter into its own thread.

For the record I am not necessarily in favor of adding any new fields to the profile page at this stage. I like the profile picture suggest, or alternatively just.. posting and asking who plays a certain character :p

Tom Harriman
Mar 19th, 2012, 04:06:38 PM
Just to avoid cluttering the who's who thread, I made split all of this chatter into its own thread.

For the record I am not necessarily in favor of adding any new fields to the profile page at this stage. I like the profile picture suggest, or alternatively just.. posting and asking who plays a certain character :p

That's because you're secretly an old woman, and you're allergic to change. :shakefist

:mneh

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 19th, 2012, 04:06:49 PM
Also, you should put a link to your character's wiki page in the Biography field of your profile. That should take care of everything, I think. No new fields needed imo.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2012, 04:14:02 PM
Also, you should put a link to your character's wiki page in the Biography field of your profile. That should take care of everything, I think. No new fields needed imo.

Also there five separate instant messenger ID fields which create handy little links in your posts!
<<<<<<<<< Over there!

I don't mind change ;) but when the whole board is ultimately a communication tool - and you can easily just post a thread and say "Hey, who plays this character? I'd like to post with them!" - adding extra stuff seems like.. over-complicating? Just talk to your fellow posters and you'll soon find out who they play.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 19th, 2012, 04:20:58 PM
I guess so. I just figured that, in light of the ideas we were throwing around about making the board more welcoming and accessable to newcomers, it might be something worth bearing in mind. New people don't necessarily know that our bazillion characters are written by about a dozen people :uhoh, whereas some people just plain prefer to communicate via PM... and sometimes people just plain aren't on IM.

Just a suggestion, is all. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2012, 04:26:04 PM
If the majority of people think an idea is good, I'm happy to ask Ogre to implement it. I just want to make sure that we are not duplicating existing features and that it's actually something that people would make use of, since adding anything into the coding of the forum/style sheets isn't as quick a change as me putting a graphic into someones CT.