PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games (2012)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2012, 02:10:58 PM
http://www.thehungergamesmovie.com/

So by now, I'm sure most people have heard of this book series and the film adaptation, but if not, here's Wikipedia's nutshell description of the plot:

At an unidentified future date, the nation of Panem has risen out of the ruins of what was once known as North America. Due to an unsuccessful uprising by the districts of Panem, a raffle (known as the "reaping") is held to choose one boy and one girl, aged 12–18, from each of the twelve districts to participate in the Hunger Games, a competition in which each contestant, or tribute, battles until only one is left.

And here's a trailer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgssLmsOa2s

The film is out this week. I have tickets to go see it on opening night here in the UK (March 22nd) - is anyone else looking forward to it? :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 19th, 2012, 02:27:34 PM
I am SO looking forward to this!

We just need a babysitter for a night. :(

Rev Solomon
Mar 20th, 2012, 01:40:22 PM
I read the free sample on Kindle and was impressed by the writing and atmosphere, and I know it's been well received, but... yay, a book about a totalitarian government that forces kids to kill each other? :|

I mean, I'm sure the characters are well developed and the plot is engaging, but I'm a little reluctant to subject myself to something so grimdark. Is there at least more to the story than, "Life sucks, but if you're clever and strong, you can make it suck even more for the people you don't like"?

Charley
Mar 20th, 2012, 02:38:47 PM
I read the free sample on Kindle and was impressed by the writing and atmosphere, and I know it's been well received, but... yay, a book about a totalitarian government that forces kids to kill each other? :|

I mean, I'm sure the characters are well developed and the plot is engaging, but I'm a little reluctant to subject myself to something so grimdark. Is there at least more to the story than, "Life sucks, but if you're clever and strong, you can make it suck even more for the people you don't like"?

This exactly. I really don't want to get involved with anything that takes the concept of child soldiers lightly

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 20th, 2012, 03:31:34 PM

I think it sounds a little like 1984 but with children as the principal characters. I think there is a positive spin in the later books as revolution breaks.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 20th, 2012, 04:11:32 PM
Is there at least more to the story than, "Life sucks, but if you're clever and strong, you can make it suck even more for the people you don't like"?

That wasn't at all the message I got from the first book. There is no malice in what the main characters are doing and they aren't child soldiers.

IDK, I'm reluctant to go into a great deal of detail because it would sort of spoil the plot.

Rev Solomon
Mar 20th, 2012, 05:06:26 PM
Even in 1984 the soulless government is trying to create an illusion of peace and justice. This one is making children take part in bloodsport on national TV. Yeah, there are regimes around the world that do similarly awful things, as there have been throughout history. But it's difficult to see where the spark of heroism comes from in such a world. If the answer is for the child gladiators to turn into child revolutionaries... um, yay again? :|

The fact that this is a young adult series is really disturbing to me. Making the main characters kids certainly drives the dystopian horror even harder, but I have a hard time imagining that most of its target audience can even understand how terrible it is. It seems an awful lot like shock art, like those paintings of the Virgin Mary covered in elephant dung. There may be legitimate artistic reasons for going there, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily worth doing, or that you should be surprised when tons of people are offended.

Anyway, please understand that these are off-the-cuff reactions based on the premise and Kindle sample alone. I can't judge the book on anything else, and I have no doubt the author takes the plot in unexpected and exciting directions. I just... yeah...

I think the only way I would be able to decide whether it's worth reading is to read it.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 20th, 2012, 06:59:33 PM
The fact that this is a young adult series is really disturbing to me. Making the main characters kids certainly drives the dystopian horror even harder, but I have a hard time imagining that most of its target audience can even understand how terrible it is. It seems an awful lot like shock art, like those paintings of the Virgin Mary covered in elephant dung. There may be legitimate artistic reasons for going there, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily worth doing, or that you should be surprised when tons of people are offended.

What should be disturbing is that utter shit like Twilight gets read at all, while a book like Huger Games takes a huge risk and puts out what is a remarkably realistic look at exactly why the topics bought up are actually so terrible. And it is one hell of a bitchslap on reality TV, that in itself was trly enjoyable to see how it absoluty guts that depressingly awful genre, flashes it up for what it is as utterly worthless except of bread and circuses - exactly like Huxleys "Brave New World" makes of it in fact. It's interesting you have 1984 in the Districts and Brave New World in the Capitol, the two opposing and yet very insightful and real versions of human society gone to hell - Huxley's doesnt seem as bad but have a look around you and it's coming true - and that should scare the absolute fuck out of everyone and its every bit as bad as 1984

It also doesnt presume the reader is an idiot and this I really like. People who are offended should make look much closer at themselves or stop watching Jersey Shore because simply put this book actually has something to say and does it well - and those who may well be complaining would the kinds who would be residents of the Capitol.

I think the series is very well worth studying and should be read by young adults - hopefully they actually get the points being made. It's what I would call the Anti-Twilight, being it's everything Twilight isnt - ie it's well written, with a coherent plot, with some very insightful commentary on it's themes by a clearly intelligent author and should be read rather than burnt.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 20th, 2012, 07:55:39 PM
Even in 1984 the soulless government is trying to create an illusion of peace and justice. This one is making children take part in bloodsport on national TV. Yeah, there are regimes around the world that do similarly awful things, as there have been throughout history. But it's difficult to see where the spark of heroism comes from in such a world. If the answer is for the child gladiators to turn into child revolutionaries... um, yay again? :|

Anyway, please understand that these are off-the-cuff reactions based on the premise and Kindle sample alone. I can't judge the book on anything else, and I have no doubt the author takes the plot in unexpected and exciting directions. I just... yeah...

I think the only way I would be able to decide whether it's worth reading is to read it.

I haven't heard of anyone being offended by The Hunger Games. So, there's that.

JUST READ IT. It'll take you a weekend, tops. I read the whole series in three days, one book isn't that much of a commitment.

edit: I mean, obviously the idea of pitting 24 kids against themselves in an arena in a televised death sport is a horrifying and offensive idea. It is portrayed as such, not as something that's great and that the reader should agree with? Almost all books deal with portraying awful things, and that isn't a reason not to read them.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 21st, 2012, 12:17:36 PM
It's a very quick read, so worth having a look over before coming to any conclusions.

Hell, Mark didn't shit all over it. That must tell you something :mneh

Mu Satach
Mar 24th, 2012, 10:25:04 PM
I rather enjoyed the flick and felt that the characters were well done by all. I have to read the novel now.

Also, I'm rethinking the blue dye I've been putting in my hair recently. ;)

Miranda Tarkin
Mar 25th, 2012, 05:29:37 AM
I was engaged from the movie at the start. Melanie and I loved it and were horrified and amazed at how strong the characters are from all dimensions. You really go through this journey with the main female lead, all of the emotions that go with the dark themes but there is hope and consequences for everything that even I can see coming (and I haven't read the books yet ;))

Speaking of which - I am going to go buy them ...

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 25th, 2012, 05:31:50 AM
I've only read the first book in the series but it was a great, well-paced read. It also has a lot of character development and connections which didn't make it completely into the film, such as the connection between Katniss and Rue, which make it all the more emotional. I think you'll love it :)

Miranda Tarkin
Mar 25th, 2012, 07:48:12 AM
Oh that makes me happy... I really adored Rue and Katniss. Books bought too :D

Halajiin Rabeak
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:44:40 PM
Saw it on Tuesday and it was... okay. I could tell it was a difficult transition from the book, and I just don't feel it gripped me.

And the action scenes were, quite frankly, terrible. I know they had to obscure a lot of stuff to keep a PG-13 rating, but what they did to it is just awful. SyFy Original grade directing in those scenes. Never before have I wished for Michael Bay to have directed scenes so much.

But between Hunger Games and John Carter, John Carter is the clear winner in terms of being a movie. Hunger Games felt incompelte, poorly-paced and lacking many areas, to me.

Also, the sheer premise is, quite frankly, unbelievable.

Mu Satach
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:56:23 PM
oh definitely, because a believable premise is required of all fiction fantasy tales...

Halajiin Rabeak
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:25:51 PM
oh definitely, because a believable premise is required of all fiction fantasy tales...

No, but to base something on sheer irrationality leaves the audience unable to focus on the story because they are still fighting the notion of the premise itself.

Karl Valten
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:16:46 AM
Suspension of Disbelief has it's limits. When poorly delivered, there really isn't a chance.

Wasn't a fan of Hunger Games at all (haven't seen John Carter so I can't make any sort of analogy).

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:40:55 AM
Out of curiosity, did anyone who didn't like The Hunger Games enjoy Battle Royale?

Miranda Tarkin
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:32:40 PM
(wonders if she saw the same movie)