PDA

View Full Version : Television in 2012

Captain Untouchable
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:31:28 PM
There is a whole slew of stuff coming to television over the next twelve months - new series, new seasons, and all that jazz. What will you be watching, and what should we watch too?

LIVE ACTION

Alcatraz

Because his last movie about people trapped on an island seemed to work out OK for him, J.J. Abrams has got another twisty-turny mystery series for us. This time, prisoners who disappeared from Alcatraz reappear in the present. Sam Neill is in it, as is Hurley.

A Game of Thrones

Season 2 comes out in April. If you aren't already thinking about watching this, then there really is no hope for you.

The Almighty Johnsons

Not The Almighty Jetsons as I originally thought (:() - this series from Syfy follows the reincarnations of certain Norse gods. No idea what it will be about beyond that - I'm expecting some angst and people thinking a lot about their feelings, since that's what most of TV is about lately - but I'll pretty much watch anything with Norse mythology in.

ANIMATED

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

After a group of terrorists stage mass breakouts from several of SHIELD's supervillain prisons, the Avengers come together to help recapture the escapees. Inspiration and some story elements comes mainly from the comic book incarnations of the team, and there are references to and cameos from other elements of the Marvel universe. Season 1 has finished already; Season 2 will be out this year, and will add a few more classic Avengers to the team.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series

The pilot episode of this The Incredibles-style CGI series aired back in November; the series will begin airing this spring. The main theme is a war between the Green Lanterns and the Red Lantern Corps, with Hal Jordan wearing the ring on behalf of Earth. The show so far feels more "family-friendly", and while it stands alone it doesn't necessarily contradict he live action movie.

Ultimate Spider-Man

Based on the comic books of the same name, this series is due to come out early this year. It will feature cameos from other parts of the Marvel universe (as anyone who has read the comics can probably guess), but it isn't clear if that will mean cross-overs with other ongoing Marvel cartoons like we got back in the nineties. I'm guessing not given that Iron Man will be voiced by Adrian Pasdar (and not Eric Loomis of Earth's Mightiest Heroes); the voice cast does boast J. K. Simmons returning as J. Jonah Jameson however, as well as Chi McBride as Nick Fury, and Clark Gregg - aka. Agent Phil Coulson - voicing Principal Phil Coulson.

Young Justice

Set in one of the alternate realities of the DC multiverse, the series follows the sidekicks and young relatives of the Justice League. The team is a mix of training and covert operations: Batman providing the teens with missions when the League is too busy (or would be too recognisable), while other Leaguers help to train it's members. The series isn't all that loyal to the comic books: Aqualad and Arrowette are new versions of their characters, while Robin and Kid Flash are the original versions (Dick Grayson and Wally West, rather than Tim Drake and Bart Allen). The tone of the series is a little dark, with the team mostly going up against secret societies and international conspiracies. The second half of Season 1, as well as Season 2, will air in 2012.

How To Train Your Dragon

Also, as a sneaky bonus that might interest some people - Cartoon Network will apparently be getting an animated series based on the movie. Since I haven't seen the movie I probably won't be watching, but on the off-chance that there are some fans amongst us I figured I'd offer a heads-up. No news as yet on when the series will air.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 10th, 2012, 01:17:58 PM
Awake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awake_%28TV_series%29) is going to come to NBC at some point - it isn't technically on the schedule for spring, but I think they're just waiting for something else to be canceled so they can slot it in.

It looks so amazing, it will probably be canceled right away too. :cry

Xel-Naga
Jan 10th, 2012, 01:41:19 PM
I will be watching the new season of Spartacus starting soon. Well, by watching I mean the GF will be glued to the screen and I'll come over for the lewd parts. Can't resist me some Lucy Lawless.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 10th, 2012, 01:43:34 PM
OH man, I love Spartacus.

Still so sad about Andy Whitfield's death. :cry

Xel-Naga
Jan 10th, 2012, 02:27:54 PM
So true. He was great. I almost don't even want to watch the new show because of the cast change. Andy was awesome. Judging from some of the previews I've seen, this new season will also feature Ganicus, the main character from the prequel series. I speculate it will be in a flashback type role. I really cannot fathom Ganicus ever needing/wanting to return to the Arena or have anything to do with it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 10th, 2012, 02:44:11 PM
Uh, you know they're in full on rebellion mode now, right? There won't be any arena.

Xel-Naga
Jan 10th, 2012, 04:08:15 PM
Previews show a lot of Arena shots. Yeah. I dunno how that's going to work out, but it looks like there might still be general arena-ing going on still.