PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott's Prometheus

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 23rd, 2011, 05:14:25 AM
For the Alien fans we have here, here's some images of the upcoming prequel to the Alien series.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=22024

Peter McCoy
Dec 5th, 2011, 10:00:51 AM
Just looking at those screenshots, I have to say I'm incredibly underwhelmed.

In all honesty, I haven't enjoyed anythingg Scott has done in recent years. The whole historical thing just doesn't appeal to me. Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven and most recently Robin Hood. I couldn't get into Kingdom of Heaven (no pun intended) and as for the other two, lets just say I hate Russell Crowe and leave it at that.

With rumours that this is a prequel to Alien, God I hope not! If it is then I have a very bad feeling. Continuity for one thing will be an issue for me. But also the aesthetic is very very different. As some of the comments on the page are referring to, the ship and suits make it look like the United Federation of Planets rather than the very gritty, realistic truckers-in-space aesthetic of Alien.

The jury is still out and I will hopefully be pleasantly surprised by the trailer whenever we get it, but I am most definitely not getting my hopes up going by, in all fairness, are just a few stills. It's early days but off the mark I don't like the look of it.

Crusader
Dec 6th, 2011, 03:30:16 AM
Honestly I consider the last few movies of Ridley Scott as good (Robin Hood, Gladiator) and brilliant(Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down). Unfortunately he has got the problem that his theatrical releases can not live up to his director's cuts. His director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is 40min longer than the theatrical version but feels like half an hour shorter because the whole time he gives his characters to develop makes the movie more intresting instead of feeling rushed.

But back on topic if someone gives the Alien franchise a reboot it should be Ridley Scott. Ever since Aliens the whole franchise went down hill and I guess no one watns to see a reboot like this terrible Predator movie.

We can not deny that there is a demand for a new Alien movie since otherwise those terrible AVP movies would not attract that much attention.

Ridley Scott is a true sci fi veteran as the director of Alien and Blade Runner so if this movie fails it will do so on a high level.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 6th, 2011, 03:31:02 AM
They're being very cagey as to whether this is a prequel to Alien. I think there will be something at the end that may make it clear, but the cast and crew are refusing to confirm or deny (with varying degrees of success).

Entertainment Weekly had a good article about it.

Peter McCoy
Dec 6th, 2011, 10:29:51 AM
I don't think the Alien franchise needs a reboot. I wouldn't say no as long as it wasn't shit, but considering the styles of the films we already have, and the time set between them, there's enough scope to accomodate any number of stories and plot directions any writer or director may wish to go.

I've read enough Aliens graphic novels to know how diverse the stories can be despite the fairly limited view the films present. All 4 films have the central theme of the powers-that-be attempting to harness the power of the alien creature for profit. Given when they're set in Humanity's timeline with the alien, it's fairly early days with most of the work concerned with finding and capturing aliens (but failing and dying horribly instead).

There's one particular graphic novel set a fair while after Ripley's endeavours when skirmishes with aliens are fairly common but still just as deadly, bloody and terrifying for the marines involved. The lone survivor of one such skirmish ends up further into his career being sent to investigate a scientists research operation to see what he's up to and how dangerous it may be. The back and forth between the two characters along with their histories and the goings-on of the space station would make for a bloody brilliant movie!

Seriously, if anybody likes comics, check out Aliens: Labyrinth.

If this is a prequel to Alien, then the writing has to be extremely good to fit well with the established canon of the existing films. Perhaps this crew will all die horribly but not before sending a transmission to whoever back home that they've encountered a ferocious lifeform. That would fit in with Alien and Ash's orders "Priority 1: Bring back lifeform". His orders confirm the company knew about the alien, and the Nostromo's return trip from the mining operation was a convenient pick-up for them to make use of.

If it is a full-fledged prequel, rather than a predominantly stand-alone film that just ties in at the end, then who knows what could happen if its a success. Would Fox reboot the franchise instead of pursuing more awful AvP films that insist on using thow-away human characters as a backdrop for the ultimate battle? This is where the videogames get it right. Compelling characters with a genuinely intriguing plot set somewhere in space sometime in the future where they don't need to worry about disrupting the canon, as opposed to a brawl between a Predator and a hybrid in Nameless North American town (apologies if it's an actual town and someone here lives there, I honestly cannot remember) with a bunch of high-school teenagers and half-assed characters mixed up in the middle. A female soldier recently returning from a tour of duty, and a brother returning from prison. So she's a soldier and he's an ex-con - that's not enough to make me give a shit about them if they're cardboard cutouts with a nametag and an occupation pencilled in.

This is sounding like a rant and I don't mean it to be. It's more an expression of my fears for this movie and the possibilities it entails. The Aliens franchise is undoubtedly my favourite before Star Trek and Star Wars. I've read the expanded universe, I know the potential for truly awesome movies, but Fox don't seem to want to tap into that talent.

I'm thrilled about Gearbox's upcoming true sequel to Aliens. They may fuck it up but for Gods sake, they're trying! The marines are arguably the best thing about the franchise after the creatures themselves. I think Charley once said Why the hell don't they bring the marines back. They're likeable and they're badasses that make for a very entertaining ride through the story, while at the same time they're soldiers who have to survive a horrific ordeal. Gearbox are telling a story set shortly after Aliens with the player being part of the team sent in to investigate what happened on LV 426 when the Sulaco was declared overdue. Completely different to what we got in Alien 3 - Ripley being shipwrecked on a prison colony. While I like Alien 3, this sounds much more interesting, plus it gives closure for Aliens - we'll find out what happened to Hudson after the aliens ambush the Operations room, amongst other things.

What a lot of people don't know is that the USCM (the marines in Aliens) are not owned by "The Company" (Weyland-Yutani, the company interested in the alien creatures for the bio-weapons division). So in Aliens the shit hits the fan and most of those who went ended up dead as a direct result. The Company were prepared for that, so happily gloss over the tragedy and head to Fury 161 to find Ripley. Meanwhile the commanders and whatnot back at USCM HQ are thinking "Hang on, where the fuck's the Sulaco!?" Return of the awesome marines we haven't seen on the big screen since 1986! Send 'em in, find out what happened, screw Weyland-Yutani. We wanna know what happened to our boys out there so this is our investigation!

Of course, there's sure to be intrigue and likely the Company will be pulling the strings somewhere, but that's the Aliens universe for you. There's always some corporate interest trying to make a power-play using the little guy as a pawn. But it's that human struggle at ground-zero you invest in and identify with and sympathise with. That's why I love Alien 3 so much - just a bunch of felons sitting off on a rock waiting for God, then along comes Ripley, harbinger of death, with a fucking alien in tow to slaughter their praying asses. How unlucky can you get. You're a bastard, you serve your time, you find God, you repent, and you get ripped to shreds? Justice perhaps? I prefer to see them as unlucky victims rather than the alien being their punishment, but either works. But they're human, and they're common, and I can identify with them on that level. They're not the awesome marines with guns and grenades. They're not the mercs from Alien Resurrection. They're not even the crew of the Nostromo with cattle prods or flamethrowers. They've got a few carving knives in the kitchen and a few fire axes scattered about the place - as Warden Andrews puts it, "Nothing terribly formidable."

The cast of this film look the shit. And such calibre - director included - commands a certain quality of writing. So all things considered, it should be awesome. But something at the back of my mind has me worried. 20th Century Fox can be dicks. They failed at AvP. The crossover is tricky. Perhaps this pureblood Alien movie (if thats what it turns out to be) can rise above the recent disappointments from my two favourite extra-terrestrials and be something really special again.

So given what I know about Alien, I have certain expectations of Prometheus if it is indeed a prequel. But those expectations involve horrible murder-death-kill of the entire crew at the hands of a xenomorph. Which is fine, but I hope these awesome actors are more than a walking meal. In Scott I trust. Or at least I did before he had a boner for Russell friggin Crowe.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:10:14 PM
And here's the trailer...

<object id="fstg008_44fd08de981d553507cb9d27b92ab001" class="SpringboardPlayer" width="620" height="385" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/fstg008/673/410257/"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>
<embed src="http://www.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/fstg008/673/410257/" width="620" height="385" name="fstg008_44fd08de981d553507cb9d27b92ab001" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent"></embed>
</object>

Peter McCoy
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:10:28 PM
After watching that, my fear has been subdued. This film looks like it will either be just a good science fiction movie, or something really really special.

Also, if anybody has seen the theatrical trailer for the original Alien movie, you may recognise the high-pitched sound effect that is persistent throughout that trailer.

I'm now waiting for someone to do a hash-up using footage from Alien to match the scenes in this trailer. I may even try to do one myself and use this audio track.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:45:46 AM
This looks like an Alien prequel to me. And terrifying. They seem to be very much channeling the Lovecraftian concepts of horror.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:19:46 PM
It looks great to me. Here's an analysis of the trailer that you might be interested in reading, Peter: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1178902/prometheus_trailer_analysis.html

Charley
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:04:18 PM
Yeah, the best part about Aliens is the marines, same as the best part of Alien is the crew. If they make the human element a showcase instead of an afterthought, the terror will be a lot more real.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far!

Peter McCoy
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:54:40 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380408_342637535751102_319196071428582_1571684_833 356640_n.jpg

The object lying to the right of the crouching figures looks a lot like a xenomorph body! If thats true, and this is the first time humans have encountered it, then the size could be due to it having come from a space jockey (name given to the fossilized elephantine body the Nostromo crew find inside the large chamber in the derelict spacecraft). If you remember, the bones of the ribcage were bent outwards - foreshadowing the chestburster scene later.

Either that or its just close to the camera and merely looks bigger. Or its the body of a space jockey and the object the crouched figures are examining is its head (seen in the trailer on a medical bed).

Oooh, this is so exciting!

Captain Untouchable
Dec 25th, 2011, 07:36:23 AM
I jiggled with some contrast settings to try and get a better look. From the shape of the torso and the plating on the legs, it certainly looks like the body of a giant xenomorph. From the orientation of the hips it seems to have a tail too - they're twisted more towards the camera than the torso, and if it were lying on the object behind one would expect the chest to be tipped towards-camera as well.

The distinct lack of right arm is somewhat troubling. If it is a giant xenomorph, what the bajeezus managed to disarm it? :ohno

Peter McCoy
Dec 25th, 2011, 11:39:26 AM
In the trailer when it shows a shot of the main chamber where the Nostromo crew found the space jockey in that chair/cockpit/turret thing, the attention grabber is the central thingymajig rising through the floor, but if you pause, you can see a really tall being on the right hand side of the chamber. Considering how large the Nostromo crew were compared to the space jockey, this thing is huge! Maybe its from that!?

EDIT: Picture of said being: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2011/12/whoisthat-1.jpg

All this speculation has me giddy! I need to watch the movies in order, play AvP, AvP2, Extinction, Alien 3 on the Snes and Genesis, read my comics - what I need now is complete immersion to satisfy myself until this movie comes out!

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2012, 03:05:48 PM
A new image from this film: http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/03/07/check-out-this-breathtakingly-beautiful-new-prometheus-image/2012-03-07-prometheus/

"Apparently this is supposed to be a star map control room on one of the spaceships featured in Prometheus, most likely from an alien vessel. An unidentified human (or otherwise) character stands in the center of this beautiful galactic tableau. Could this be the space jockey’s ship we’re seeing? Maybe it’s not even in a spaceship."

Whatever it is, it's pretty!

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 17th, 2012, 11:26:30 AM
Not the best image quality, but hey a new trailer!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXLzJhZa8PY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXLzJhZa8PY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Tear
Mar 18th, 2012, 02:09:40 PM
I see your trailer and raise you.

<object height="315" width="560">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHcHYisZFLU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="560"></object>

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 18th, 2012, 02:15:47 PM
That is one sexy trailer.

Droo
Mar 18th, 2012, 05:42:39 PM
I may have just soiled myself.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 18th, 2012, 05:52:39 PM
Woah, that was awesome.

Peter McCoy
Mar 21st, 2012, 08:39:13 AM
Epic!

Although I had to watch that trailer on an iPhone with a 3G connection, it was still awesome to watch.

There's a few glimpses that provide more evidence that this is an Alien prequel and not just set in the same universe as it. There's a split-second glimpse of what looks like a carving of an alien (looks like a Queen to my eyes), which I'm guessing they find when they're exploring those tunnels that turn out to be the ship.

We see that huge bald dood "prepping" the ship and I'm guessing he (or she) is the one who is sitting in the chair towards the end of the trailer - which suggests that the elephantine head of the space jockey is in fact some sort of helmet. That links to the previous teaser when you see the head/helmet onboard the Prometheus while the crew examine/scan it. Given the organic look of the ship itself that makes sense; instead of plastic/metal/fabric clothes and building materials, the space jockey race seemingly use organic materials.

The very end of the trailer shows that female character, Dr. Elizabeth Shaw, played by Noomi Rapace, cornered by something inspired by Giger's designs. The legs of that being look like xenomorph legs but the hands are distinctly human. Maybe it's the Space Jockey, or a mutated/infected human member of the Prometheus crew. That links in with the shot of someone on top of the vehicle who then jumps down onto a member of the crew - you can just make out their face inside the helmet and it looks bloodied/mutated.

In the shot where Shaw is kneeling by the mirror, you can hear someone shouting "CUT IT OFF! CUT IT OFF!" - a Facehugger perhaps!?

There was just so much awesomeness in this trailer.

Yog
Mar 21st, 2012, 11:26:29 AM
That was a fantastic trailer.

Chartis
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:57:44 PM
I still haven't managed to be able to sit through Alien (too scary) but hot damn, I'mma watch this. I'mma watch this hard.

Gotta support my countrywomen in their artistic endeavors. Oh, Charlize. :love

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 7th, 2012, 01:24:06 AM
Don't lie, we know you're watching it for the Fassbender. ;)

Polly Smithson
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:40:16 AM
Wait, Fassbender's in this TOO?! :ohno

;)

Droo
Apr 17th, 2012, 07:49:47 AM
http://youtu.be/DOOJl5lWNfM

Now that's creepy as hell! Happy Birthday, David! :ohno

Salem Ave
Apr 18th, 2012, 03:27:30 PM
David, what makes you sad? :ohno

Emelie Shadowstar
Apr 18th, 2012, 06:32:27 PM
aww, David <3

Can I have a David?

Morgan Evanar
Apr 18th, 2012, 07:24:01 PM
This movie oh man this movie.

MARCUS
Apr 18th, 2012, 11:58:13 PM
I'm really pumped for this movie. I need to dunk my expectations in ice water just in case.

Crusader
Apr 19th, 2012, 01:42:59 AM
aww, David <3

Can I have a David?

I think Liz has already preordered at least 3 of them for Biological studies.

Rutabaga
May 4th, 2012, 03:36:35 PM
I have to admit to being really slow on the uptake for this movie, but after seeing the trailer on the big screen today...

Holy shit.

Oh, and a blond Fassbender? I'm so there. :love

Droo
Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:48:42 PM
Spoiler-free review:

As Peter and I walked away from the cinema tonight, we found it difficult to coherently put into words what we liked about the film, not because there wasn't anything we liked but simply because, I think, we both found it difficult to actually be coherent. Now, maybe it's because we're a couple of Alien fanboys. After all, the reviews are mixed and even the most positive appear to have their fair share of criticisms to level at Ridley Scott's return to sci-fi, but as far as I'm concerned, those idiots watched a different movie to me. They are wrong. I can safely say this on Peter's behalf, too. When I think of Prometheus, and everything I saw, I get a little giddy and start to grin like a big kid, because I'm just so thoroughly satisfied by my experience. My expectations were statospheric up until about a week ago, and then over the last few days I've been reading luke warm reviews that have helped temper my anticipation to something resembling normal again. Perhaps, when some of you guys see this film, you may disagree with me and accuse me of spewing shameless fanboyisms here, but I assure you, you will be wrong as well.

I believe that the best science fiction explores the grandest of ideas, and it can do this against the backdrop of the most alien or fanciful landscapes, and yet, the human experience remains its most prominent aspect. So, despite all the science, and the planets, and the aliens, and the ideas, we come away from the story having learned, or at least contemplated, a little something about ourselves and what it means to be human. My favourite reviewer, Mark Kermode, I believe shares a similar opinion. In this, I think Prometheus succeeds, but Dr. Kermode doesn't quite agree. His wasn't a negative review by any means, he said it was a solid "7.5 out of 10," and of Ridley Scott's Alien he had the highest of praise, so he is quite predisposed to enjoy this sort of thing, as am I. So what are these bloody critics complaining about?

Common amongst the complaints is the script; some are saying it doesn't make much sense, others are saying the dialogue is clunky, Mark Kermode claims the characters have a highly portentous way of speaking to each other. He, in fact, cites how in Alien we have space-truckers muttering about wanting to get paid, and how that natural sort of talk is missing from Prometheus. It's interesting that in the film there is, in fact, a character who actually states that he only wants to get paid. Anyway, it's all a load of rubbish, the characters are all deeply human, varied, and entertaining. Some have less screen time than others, this is to be expected, but it never causes a problem. Those who need the exposition get it, and there are plenty of great little character moments between crew members that serve to flesh them out without hampering the pace of the film. The dialogue is natural, sometimes funny, sometimes cutting, and the plot isn't difficult to follow at all - it has its twists and turns but it really is laid out nice and neatly for the audience.

We saw Prometheus in 2D. The cinematography was gorgeous from the first shot, LV-223 is so bleakly beautiful, and the sets vary from the vividly colourful and bright to the darkly oppressive. There was so much eye candy in practically every shot, but that's pretty much to be expected from Mr. Technical himself. There were moments, with the score, when I thought that they should've reined it in a bit, and there's much to be said for terrible moments of empty silence. And then there were echoes of the original score as characters wandered deeper into the black slippery bowls of alien catacombs, the old throbbing menace of Jerry Goldsmith's original soundtrack. But Alien, this most definately was not. In truth, I reckon it could've been scarier, but given the action and incredible set pieces, I figure it's a balancing act for a writer and director to get it right, otherwise the tone of the film would be all over the place, and in that I think they succeeded. Having said that, there was nontheless high tension a-plenty and a couple of moments of, what I would describe as, chilling horror.

It will come as no surprise to hear that Michael Fassbender is pretty incredible in his role as David. Right from the start, you can see in his movements that there is something really quite off about him, and the voice of his that we heard in that viral video... the simplest thing, said in that tone of his, can carry so much unspoken implication that it chills you to the bone. It's exactly like I imagined from that video, the veneer of humanity masking something that you know is utterly not human. Even the synthetic of the cast has his own journey to go on, exploring what it means to be what he is, and how he relates to his human counterparts. The parallels between him and the humans are really quite clever and help enrich the telling of the story.

However, it is on the performance of Noomi Rapace that the film hangs. As Elizabeth Shaw, she carries the film, and I became heavily invested in the character, which, given her role, is essential. I don't want to go into anymore detail here because I don't really want to wade into the murky waters of spoiler territory, not until others have seen it. There's not a weak link in the rest of the cast, there are some surprises, and Charlize Theron stands out as the cold corporate hardass in quite a refreshing contrast to the rest of the Prometheus crew. And what I loved was that, as the movie was reaching its final hurdle, there was still a big question mark over who may or may not make it out alive. No-one felt safe, the threat was very real and palpable.

What I loved most about Prometheus was its ability to leave me breathless and awe-struck over and over again. There were just so many unexpected moments, answers that unearthed fresh and troubling questions, ideas that tickled the imagination, stunning set-pieces, gruesome squirm-in-your-seat sights, and a real sense of discovery and exploration. As an Alien fan, at least, the whole thing felt like an exciting archeological dig of some sort which delved deeper into the fascinating lore of Scott's sci-fi world of space-jockeys and xenomorphs, and that delighted me. Once it was over, I left the cinema feeling fully satisfied, and yet, in all the right ways the film left me starved and salivating for more. For me, Prometheus is the kind of experience for which the cinema is made, an experience I have no doubt I will be revisiting, and soon.

Peter McCoy
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:14:06 AM
I'm off work on Thursday, I'm going again in the day!

Mu Satach
Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:06:44 PM
Friday can't come soon enough. :)

Korax
Jun 6th, 2012, 11:07:42 AM
For the people finding this film to be disjointed and confusing : Hey, start of a new trilogy here. I gather that it will be providing plenty of unanswered questions as well as some answers to a few very old questions. It's supposed to leave you moderately confuzzled and partially overwhelmed, because Ridley loves doing that sort of thing. Hopefully in some respects you will leave the film sated to know that it's just the beginning of something bigger. I think that's how I'm going to be feeling come friday :) Open mind time.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 10th, 2012, 03:49:39 AM
We came. We saw.

We were so wrong about everything!

I thought the movie was really good. I'm not sure what else I can say without it being a huge block of spoiler text, so Droo, find me on AIM and we'll talk. ;)

Korax
Jun 11th, 2012, 08:02:20 AM
This is spoilery so don't click if you've not seen it...but wow, very clever! Made me laugh :D

SMS between Shaw and...??? (http://enchantedmitten.blogspot.com/2003/12/reading-previous-entries-in-this-series.html)

Yog
Jun 11th, 2012, 12:59:34 PM
This is my favorite movie of 2012 so far, 10/10 :cool:

Akasha Khan
Jun 11th, 2012, 02:44:37 PM
All will be made clear in James Cameron's PROMETHEUSES.

Ha, brilliant!

Tear
Jun 11th, 2012, 07:36:04 PM
I enjoyed it. I was given answers to questions long held and left the theater with even more questions. Which left me frustrated until I learned the co-writer was also co-creator of lost. So it makes sense that I would come away with more answers.

I will say the last act felt a bit rushed. Everything was sprinting full steam toward the conclusion without giving the characters some time to deconstruct recent events. BUT, I'm sure the directors cut will make it all run a bit smoother.

I thought the 3d was great too. If you've been avoiding 3d cause you're stubborn give this one a try. I thought it was worth it.

Oh and edit. I wish Ridley wasn't doing another movie later this year and then the Blade runner sequel next year. I don't see him handing the reigns to Prometheus over to anyone else for directing which means at the earliest we're looking at 2014 for another? Sad panda.

Korax
Jun 12th, 2012, 07:07:43 AM
Blade Runner Though!

Darth Turbogeek
Jun 15th, 2012, 04:24:46 AM
Gorgeous visuals, oh so moody with incredible design and the 3D is native to the movie so no headaches at all.

But.

For all of it's incredible skill it was made, there is clearly something very, very wrong with this movie. While say the Avengers deals with bigger nonsense, that is a film where the "rules" of the world are laid out and it makes, within the context of the setting a good deal of sense and the suspense of belief works. So you dont care about the ridiculous things flying around, within the context it fits and weaves a good narrative, of course helped by strong characters and good writing. Which is why the Avengers is quite rightly become a loved movie that has captured the imagination.

Prometheus for all it's gorgeous production skill on display and immersive 3D fails the suspense of belief. There are just so many things that within the context presented just do not make any sense whatsoever and I like many others are thrown out of the movie to be going What the hell? The fact that so many questions asked isnt a problem I add - lets face it there are many MANY great movies that leave you scratching your head trying to work out what has been presented. Ridley Scott himself did it with Blade Runner and it is a valid ideal. Prometheus unfortunaly questions but you dont care about the answers because you know it doesnt matter, the movie's internal logic went out the window well before the credits and if you begin to think, you question more and more, realising there are no answers, it stinks of too much made up on the fly.... exactly like Lost. Which I am not surprised to find out the writer of Lost wrote this. Lost set up it's world, set up its questions, then at the end threw the logic out the window and what poor set of questions were answered were half arsed.

But you know, making shit up can still work. BSG had a lot of things done on the fly and the creators battled to solve the problems and actually managed it to a large degree. BSG had a lot of questions, the big ones were not answered BUT they were done so in a manner that prompted debate and really, really good competing theories. (Starbuck for example)

Prometheus does none of that. It's clearly had a bunch of questions but it invited no answers, just a load of "What the....." and "Huh, that's as dumb as....!"

And unfortunatly that's where I am. It lost me, it just made me go "You have got to be kidding that just defies belief" and that's where Prometheus just plain falls apart.

I wouldnt mind being my usual self and just bash the shit out of it buuuuuut..... I feel that there is a directors cut in this pile of nonsense that will do a hell of a lot to expand on the film, make you care about the characters and explain why some utter bonehead things happen and also make the questions have some meat to them, rather than "What?". I think that is why I would prefer to explain why I can not say this is a great film, it's not. It could be tho. I see the foundations of what could be another Blade Runner.

What I see is a movie a lot like The Phantom Menace where a group HATED it and a group defended it to the death... but in the end reality showed it for what it was.... a movie without a single redeeming quality. Prometheus is much like that right now and does need some dissection to see exactly what it is. A Directors Cut may well tip the balance one way or the other.

If this si all we get.... Prometheus is a failure. A visual feast with incredible production values but with so many plot holes and what? moments it will not age well.

Crusader
Jun 15th, 2012, 05:53:48 AM
Shit I have to wait till august to watch this movie overhere...Screw you German movie publishers...

Yog
Jun 15th, 2012, 12:15:38 PM
DT, there is a lot going on in this movie, and yes it offers layers upon layers of questions. But Ridley Scott did not just throw things out there randomly. Every small detail is carefully calculated and has a purpose. That is why I am more leaning towards this getting Bladerunner type cult status than being a failure. Much of this will be more clear with director's commentary track. But in the meantime, I will enjoy thinking about the puzzles and what things mean, much like I did with Inception.

Maybe this link will offer you some more insight of what is happening in the movie, and leave you with slightly less with "WTF was that"? It discusses / explores some of the themes:

*SPOILERS* Prometheus - Everything explained and analysed *SPOILERS* (http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/uswn1/prometheus_everything_explained_and_analysed/)

Darth Turbogeek
Jun 15th, 2012, 03:58:27 PM
[quote=Yog;389307

*SPOILERS* Prometheus - Everything explained and analysed *SPOILERS* (http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/uswn1/prometheus_everything_explained_and_analysed/)[/quote]

I read that already, that's what prompted my essay. I very much disagree that it's a valid explanation and that's why I also added the reference to TPM - there was a lot of that kind of explaining to allegory going around to explain a good deal of the complete nonsense in that movie as well. Some very persuasive too.

But the problem was, even with the very good explanations TPM was crap but you weren't 100% sure why until Red Letter Media explained it in detail.

I am sitting in the "What the fu....." camp because there are just too many times where the characters did things that just made no damn sense at all. And this here is where Promethues compares to TPM because in TPM, despite all the explanations the fact was...... characters just did dumb shit and there's no explaination because the writing was just plain bad.

BUT TPM didnt have a director whose been noted for directors cuts and there is an unevenness that suggests much footage didnt make it. Even five minutes more film could well expand and explain much.

On the other hand - guy who wrote LOST was involved. There may well be only nonsesnse because that guy is most famed for writing crap that he cant explain.

Mu Satach
Jun 18th, 2012, 01:44:51 PM
I'm thinking it's the prequel to the prequel to the prequel to the inevitable shitfest that will spew forth... someday.

Saw it on IMAX in 3D and it was gorgeous - will watch it again.

I'm in love with Noomi Rapace.

I enjoyed it, but walked out feeling that a truck load of information was left in the editing bay, so hoping there's an extended cut coming someday. However, upon learning that a Lost writer was involved not willing to gamble 5 bucks on it making anymore sense.

Interesting article read up there - hadn't thought of the goo being transformed from life to death by the attitude of those who come in contact with it. Still doesn't explain the flaws in reasoning/etc. that have left me irritated somewhat.

Ultimately I was hoping for elegant finely crafted conundrums, instead I've received prefab housing. It's nice, and I like it, but the seams are showing and the plaster is flaking.