PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Captain Untouchable
Nov 7th, 2011, 03:24:31 PM
In celebration of Salty Nerd, the Cartoon Network (in America) will be showing the first episode of the new CGI Green Lantern series. There's some sneak-peek footage available:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/44W2s7W1P8U?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/44W2s7W1P8U?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I am most definately not a full-on Green Lantern fan, so I'm not really in a position to critique the plot and the story too much: as far as I / we / the internet is/are aware, the story will focus on the conflict between the Green Lantern Corps and Red Lantern Corps.

Visually, it looks like they're trying to echo The Incredibles. I'm a big Incredibles fan, so that scores bonus points with me. I'm not sure if the youtube clip contains "finished" footage, or if there will be some polish to it. I hope it's the latter - Kilowog in particular looks a little bare - but the animation seems to get the point across, and you can certainly tell who people are meant to be.

Based on the sneak peek, it seems like a cartoon for children. I realise that sounds a bit redundant, but a lot of the DC cartoon releases are retellings of the comics that just happen to be in an animated format. With Green Lantern alone, the First Flight and Emerald Knights animated movies seemed to have an older target audience than this does. The Red Lanterns seem very "tame": I have no idea who that skinny chap is, but he didn't seem like he was someone who wields wrath like a weapon.

Hopefully they'll do more with the Red Lanterns than the clip suggests. As it stands I'm left wondering why they didn't pick the Sinestro Corps, if all they were looking for was an enemy group. The only reason I can think of is that controlling fear is a very evil thing to do: as demonstrated by characters like Mera and Guy Gardner, you can be angry enough for a red ring without being a full-on villain. There might be more scope to teach some morality lessons there, with repentant villains and all that?

Captain Untouchable
Oct 7th, 2012, 04:20:28 PM
Please tell me that someone else on Fans has been watching this. I need someone to flail at about the most recent episode. :ohno

Droo
Oct 7th, 2012, 06:08:36 PM
If I can find a way to watch it online, I will. I'm enjoying Young Justice that much that it can't hurt to try it out, although I've never been much of a Green Lantern fan.

Tevit Ramastan
Oct 7th, 2012, 07:37:02 PM
As this contains Red Lanterns, and I am a GL purist, I am not a fan of this series.

Captain Untouchable
Oct 7th, 2012, 09:47:28 PM
If I can find a way to watch it online, I will. I'm enjoying Young Justice that much that it can't hurt to try it out, although I've never been much of a Green Lantern fan.

Shoot me a message next time you see me, Droo - I'll hook you up.

The inclusion of the Red Lanterns is done in a really cool and creative way: they're central to the story, rather than being a bolt-on addition like the comics. They also touch on characters and plotlines from the entire Green Lantern back catalogue too. Right now we're contending with Anti-Monitor and Manhunters; Ch'p, Chaselon, and Tomar-Re have all shown up; and there's even been some Star Sapphire and Blue Lantern involvement worked in, all woven seamlessly into a really cool narrative.

If you're prepared to let yourself to enjoy it, it's a lot of fun. There's also a fantastic voice cast, and a couple of really cool original characters in the mix.