PDA

View Full Version : Mommar Gadhafi is dead

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 20th, 2011, 10:24:14 AM
This is a historic day for Libya as the evil dictator Gadhafi was killed today in what appears to be he was trying to escape custody. If that is true, it is nice to see he was nothing but a coward towards the end. I have to say good riddance, he was evil man who harmed his own people to stay in power. Hopefully, Libya will now get a fair government who will answer to the will of the people.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 20th, 2011, 01:51:26 PM
Reuters reports Col Gaddafi's son, Mutassim, has also been killed and his body taken to Misrata.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 20th, 2011, 03:40:01 PM
There are also rumors his other son is dead as well, although those are unconfirmed.

Yog
Oct 21st, 2011, 01:47:53 AM
Good news. You could say Libya is finally liberated.

This was a murderous tyrant who was behind everything from Lockerbie bombing to countless executions and tortures, and obscene human rights violations as he ruled his country with iron fist. I would have preferred to see him on trial in Haag, but I shed no tears for his quick departure.

Some comment from a friend of mine:

you know what's ironic? the reason that gadhafi decided to make peace with the west several years ago was that he looked on TV and saw saddam being torn out of a spider hole and put on trial, and he didn't want that to be his fate, so he decided to give up his WMDs. but he never decided to be good to his people. it goes to show that you can't decide to be only half a murderous tyrant, you have to be a benevolent leader, or your people are going to rip you out of a sewer pipe and put a bullet in your head as you cry for mercy.

I hope some other dictators tremble in fear after watching the video footage of wounded / dead Gadaffi, and either seize their power / issue elections, or start treating their citizens better. It is not that long ago the president of Yemen stepped down.

Crusader
Oct 21st, 2011, 06:26:17 AM
^^Now the big question is who is next?

World Democracy Tour 2011 coming to a banana republic near you!

Sponsored by Facebook and Twitter

Seriously I would love to see something like that happen in Asia as well. The people in Burma have suffered long enough but most likely the next corrupt leader that has to leave office is Berlusconi.

Unfortunately no one will drag him through the streets...

Another big runner up is Belarus: Lukashenko is a disgrace for all of Europe.

Peter McCoy
Oct 21st, 2011, 06:58:39 AM
David Cameron is next!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 21st, 2011, 01:10:23 PM
Yemen and Syria seem to be the next candidates. It would be great if it happened in Iran.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:39:02 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I felt kind of sick when I saw video footage of people queuing up to look at Gaddafi's dead body, swarming around it with camera phones.

David Cameron is next!

:pirate yesss!

Droo
Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:23:23 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I felt kind of sick when I saw video footage of people queuing up to look at Gaddafi's dead body, swarming around it with camera phones.

Yep, and I felt the same way when I saw a beaten and bloodied Gaddafi being paraded around pleading for his life before a mob shouting "God is great!"

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 22nd, 2011, 01:45:30 PM
Well, it shows they really hated him. They are also behind us when it comes to violence. It wasn't long ago that Americans cheered at hangings and people lined up to see the bloody dead bodies of Johnny Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, and Dutch Schultz.

Rev Solomon
Oct 22nd, 2011, 01:51:04 PM
Two things that are true about Gaddafi's death: (1) it was terrifying, brutal, and gruesome, and (2) it was entirely of his own making. He built his prosperity on thousands of deaths that were just as bloody and terrifying. Those images made me uncomfortable, too, but I have no pity at all for the man. We can all hope that the people who are left behind can find a way to govern themselves that doesn't depend on brutality and revenge like Gadaffi's government did.

Liam Jinn
Oct 22nd, 2011, 02:07:31 PM
I would have preferred to see him on trial in Haag, but I shed no tears for his quick departure.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 22nd, 2011, 02:12:41 PM
Well, it shows they really hated him. They are also behind us when it comes to violence. It wasn't long ago that Americans cheered at hangings and people lined up to see the bloody dead bodies of Johnny Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, and Dutch Schultz.

I know. I'd just rather every single newspaper and news channel didn't have the images of his dead body plastered all over them. We know he's dead now. We don't need to keep seeing those images.

Droo
Oct 22nd, 2011, 03:22:20 PM
There's no doubting the tyranny of Gaddafi's rule but that doesn't justify the means with which he was disposed. You can't condemn someone for atrocities, one or a million of them, and then commit your own in the name of justice. And the brutality of his death doesn't disturb me half as much as the men shooting the sky in celebration and thanking deities for it. If this is a revolution and the beginnings of democracy in Libya then surely you would wish to start as you mean to go on. And then there's this grizzly hall of horrors tour open to the public. It's hardly something of which to be proud.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 22nd, 2011, 04:14:30 PM
There's no doubting the tyranny of Gaddafi's rule but that doesn't justify the means with which he was disposed. You can't condemn someone for atrocities, one or a million of them, and then commit your own in the name of justice. And the brutality of his death doesn't disturb me half as much as the men shooting the sky in celebration and thanking deities for it. If this is a revolution and the beginnings of democracy in Libya then surely you would wish to start as you mean to go on. And then there's this grizzly hall of horrors tour open to the public. It's hardly something of which to be proud.

Well in truth a trial with him would have been a circus and he would have still been executed and we would have gotten those images on TV. All we can do is one step at a time. Our early democracies had some gruesome scenes so it doesn't bother me. It matters more to me where they go now than Gaddafi being murdered by angry soldiers.

Droo
Oct 22nd, 2011, 04:37:48 PM
It matters more to me where they go now than Gaddafi being murdered by angry soldiers.

Absolutely. There's no doubt that this is just the first page in a new and exciting chapter in Libya's history, and it won't do to dwell on the dirty little baby steps, but it's just as Jenny said, the media has been saturated with such gruesome imagery and it's difficult to ignore.

Crusader
Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:24:02 PM
Well not to long ago people did complain that there was no media material/proof on Osama's death and now people complain about this. Isn't this kind of ironic?

My 5 cent on this is: Did this footage disgust me? Yes. Was I strong enough to not click on the link for this video? NO. Am I ashamed for this? Hell no because I live in a world where I sometimes need visual proof that something is over now!

Droo
Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:31:19 PM
Well not to long ago people did complain that there was no media material/proof on Osama's death and now people complain about this. Isn't this kind of ironic?

No. There's a difference between providing proof and wanton indecency on behalf of the media and an entire nation.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 23rd, 2011, 02:28:57 AM
Agreed. Personally I didnt click any links or watch any videos of him out of choice. The grisly images of his body were on the frontage of every newspaper and on just about every news channel, so it was impossible to avoid.

I just find it worrying that no one has stepped in to stop them using his body as some kind of gruesome hunting trophy / tourist attraction.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2011, 11:26:54 AM
I was surprised how much they showed on CNN and MSNBC ( I am sure Fox was the same or worse). One shot of him dead would have enough. I guess they were going for ratings.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 24th, 2011, 07:32:05 PM
Agreed. Personally I didnt click any links or watch any videos of him out of choice. The grisly images of his body were on the frontage of every newspaper and on just about every news channel, so it was impossible to avoid.

I just find it worrying that no one has stepped in to stop them using his body as some kind of gruesome hunting trophy / tourist attraction.I get my news exclusively from the internet, and I managed to avoid seeing clips/pictures of his body. I wouldn't have minded if the footage had just been made available on a clickthrough, and you morbid people can look at that. I trust that he's dead, just like I trust that Bin Laden is dead.