PDA

View Full Version : College Football

Sanis Prent
Sep 18th, 2011, 09:06:15 AM
So, I'm aghast that we haven't had a college football thread so far and we're three weeks into the season.

Major points:
Da U has committed enough NCAA sanctions in the past decade to make even Da U from the 80's and 90's blush. Possible punishment from the NCAA ranges from absolutely nothing to every first born son in Miami-Dade county being beheaded. Also I'm sure there will be another six totally badass documentaries made about it with new soundtracks by Uncle Luke. Can't wait.
Ohio State also did bad stuff but nobody cares because we hate Ohio State and all of their fans are pedophiles.
Auburn stole a championship like Cam Newton stole a laptop. That's fine I guess because they look like poop this year and lost to Clemson lmao.
Boise State is still a garbage team, and scheduling one good team per year proves nothing.
Texas A&M is seceding from the Big XII, potentially triggering world war 3 in conference realignment. This is good because everybody hates Texas but it's bad because A&M is a doo doo team full of nut grabbing fake army cultists and I really do not want them in the SEC but I guess it's gonna happen anyway, providing Ken Starr fails at his whole "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" schtick.
In the dead of night last night, the ACC calmly assassinated the Big East and stole Pitt and Syracuse, which is likely to only accelerate other conferences raiding the weak and picking their bones. Hopefully the SEC gets West Virginia out of this.
Notre Dame still bad. Remember Catholics, faith alone is not enough for football relevance. You need faith and good works, like being able to recruit actual talent. Joining the Big 10 (12?) would help, but it's easier at this rate to turn water into wine.
Oregon is being investigated by the NCAA. This is likely due to the NCAA seeing Oregon driving at 15 mph in a 60 mph zone, asking them to roll down their window, and instantly catching a contact.
Minnesota's coach Jerry Kill was so shocked that his bad team lost to perennially bad team parriah New Mexico State, that he had a seizure on the field. Gopher fans still unaware that they are cursed by a vengeful football God.

Lets talk about football. Trolling makes things better. I hate your team, and I hate you. Discuss.

Yog
Sep 18th, 2011, 09:20:09 AM
So Crimson Tide won their first 3 games? The universe is in balance.

I can't wait for the crazy people rooting for other teams to post, so I can laugh at them. :)

Sanis Prent
Sep 18th, 2011, 09:23:24 AM
Indeed :)

Although two of those wins are against cupcake teams, so we'll have a better look at the shape of the team next week. We've got a strong strong strong defense (especially the secondary OMG) but our offense needs better strength and discipline on the line and we need to sort out some quarterback questions. We look like LSU's twin this year for all practical purposes, so that game is going to be huge later this year.

Rammer Jammer, et all

Figrin D'an
Sep 18th, 2011, 09:29:25 AM
The only interesting aspect of the season thus far is the realignment shuffle continuing. Looking more and more like we'll end up with four 16-team super conferences (SEC, ACC, Pac-16, Big Ten + 6).

It's been reaffirmed that the NCAA is completely inept, and that's honestly their own damn fault. Time to burn the rulebook and start over.

Sanis Prent
Sep 18th, 2011, 09:35:23 AM
Yeah that's definitely dominating the narrative. I mean we have some good teams and good performances but nothing's really been trending as much as the politics, which is kinda bad but then again this is a long time in coming.

The interesting thing about the probations and the alignment issue is how interconnected they are. The NCAA has to enforce its rules or they look inept, but if they enforce them with any consistency, the schools balk at the potentially dire financial consequences they'll face if and when that hammer eventually lands on them (and it will, it always will).

Something strange and Byzantine about all of this.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 18th, 2011, 09:42:53 AM
:smug: We beat Ohio State.

It is nice to have a coach with a brain. It is also nice to have a secondary again. Can't wait till we get a non-scrub QB who can actually put some spicy mustard on the ball and not suck in general. Lamar Miller, barring tragic injury, is gonna play on Sunday.

Gators beat Tennessee, which is good. I am less Gator Hatin' because they finally scheduled us. Hey, we only had to be bad for 8 years for it to happen.

In the dead of night last night, the ACC calmly assassinated the Big East and stole Pitt and Syracuse, which is likely to only accelerate other conferences raiding the weak and picking their bones. Hopefully the SEC gets West Virginia out of this. :lol WV going to the SEC or ACC would be cool. NCAA can burn for all I care.

Also it is apparently ok for a pair of Sooners to straight up gang helmet to helmet a dude. You stay classy OK.

Sanis Prent
Sep 18th, 2011, 09:50:14 AM
:smug: We beat Ohio State.

2011 Inelligibowl champions!

It is nice to have a coach with a brain. It is also nice to have a secondary again. Can't wait till we get a non-scrub QB who can actually put some spicy mustard on the ball and not suck in general. Lamar Miller, barring tragic injury, is gonna play on Sunday.

Golden is a good fit for Miami and I really hope he stays, despite getting shat on by Donna Shalalah. He's a good guy. Also Jacory isn't bad as much as he is just really inconsistent. He knows how to be good, he just is refusing to do so lately for some reason.

Gators beat Tennessee, which is good. I am less Gator Hatin' because they finally scheduled us. Hey, we only had to be bad for 8 years for it to happen.

Well yes and to hell with Tennessee always.

Am I bad for hoping there's a big brawl during the UF/UM game?

Also it is apparently ok for a pair of Sooners to straight up gang helmet to helmet a dude. You stay classy OK.

I've been watching websites for irony-laden op-ed's and postings about FSU and "thugs" (dog whistle politics in my football?!)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 18th, 2011, 05:53:54 PM
We were at the Oregon - Mo State blow out yesterday. It was fun but next week is a better test of how good our defense is. Giving up the opening touchdown and too many run yards... not good! Still, it was entertaining to watch! ;)

Mu Satach
Sep 24th, 2011, 02:07:03 AM
hmm... interestingly enough, I believe I will running around doing tech support at the Utah - Oregon State game on the 29th.

Sanis Prent
Sep 24th, 2011, 08:23:52 PM
So today we roasted, tore apart, and devoured a whole pig.

Oh and also I guess we had some barbecue while we watched that happen.

Park Kraken
Sep 24th, 2011, 08:43:52 PM
Texas A&M Imploded during the 2nd half of their game today which was ugly to watch. Gators blew away their opponents today, no big suprise since they have a fairly easy schedule this year, or so it has been said. The Noles lost another 'bout with their QB out. I really don't watch enough College Football to talk about or like any other teams.

Sanis Prent
Sep 24th, 2011, 08:50:49 PM
Why do you follow Aggy? That worries me.

Rev Solomon
Sep 24th, 2011, 10:44:08 PM
None of my teams are really in the hunt for much, unless you count conference berths. The gasping of the Big Twelve does leave me a little uneasy about Texas Tech's future, but I keep hearing them bundled with Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State in the alleged exodus to the Pac-16. Of course, then I keep hearing the Pac-12 saying they don't want to expand and Texas saying they want to keep the Big Twelve together. It seems the story changes every day now, so I've pretty much stopped paying attention.

I have very little idea how good Texas Tech actually is this season, but early indications seem to be they're about where they were last season - middling, with spikes to impressive. They easily disposed of New Mexico last week, which is nothing to brag about, but QB Seth Doege going 40 for 44 under any circumstances is pretty awesome. Then this week they had an ugly, ugly defensive performance at home against Nevada, giving up over 550 yards and over 300 on the ground, but they still managed a go-ahead TD in the final minute to win 35-34. That's Red Raider football, all right.

I don't have any illusions of Texas Tech being a conference title contender this year, but I like that they're the only member of the Big Twelve that's never posted a losing record during the conference's existence. :)

Sanis Prent
Sep 24th, 2011, 11:07:22 PM
Texas Tech, with the possible exception of Oklahoma, is the only Big XII program I don't want shanked and thrown into a dumpster, even if y'all do have Tommy Tuberville.

Basically I would be okay with them having a bizarro year where they run the table, win the BCS, then literally the whole team busts into the Sportscenter sound stage, snatches Craig James, and throws his beaten body off the Tarpeian rock.

Sanis Prent
Sep 24th, 2011, 11:48:34 PM
Also in what can only be described as a cruel shortening of Jerry Kill's life expectancy by another decade, Minnesota loses to football powerhouse North Dakota State.

I...just...

...well done.

Karl Valten
Sep 25th, 2011, 10:16:59 AM
Fuck Yeah!

Go Gophers!

Wait...

Shit...

At least CU isn't too bad!

Wait...

God dammit.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 25th, 2011, 10:23:40 AM
We laid an egg again ugh ugh ugh.

Fuck Yeah!

Go Gophers!

Wait...

Shit...

At least CU isn't too bad!

Wait...

God dammit.

You poor bastard.

Sanis Prent
Sep 25th, 2011, 10:54:43 AM
Miami broke my heart :(

Fuck Yeah!

God dammit.

To be fair you've been in Colorado long enough to get high enough not to care, or at least that's what is expected of you.

I mean at least you'll probably beat the washington teams now that you're a black sheep in the PAC-12. At least Wazzu. Probably.

Sanis Prent
Sep 25th, 2011, 11:43:00 AM
Josh you didn't write this did you?

The Kessel, 19 November 1942 - 31 January 1943

givetheballtodarrell,
1. As I have sadly stated in a previous post, in the annals of NCAA Division 1A athletic directors, Joel Maturi’s leadership, decision making, and stewardship of the University of Minnesota revenue sports programs begs comparison and runs parallel with Herr GeneralfeldMarschall Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst Paulus’ leadership, decision making, and stewardship of the much vaunted German Sixth Army.
2. Paulus suffered from fatal character flaws. His unwillingness or inability to defy Hitler’s idiotic orders to attack Stalingrad prematurely was then followed with an even weaker display of character through failing to protect his remaining troops in The Kessel (19 November 1942 – 31 January 1943) by breaking out of the Kessel. It meant defying Hitler’s idiotic order to hold Stalingrad at all cost. The result was total decimation of the German Sixth Army, which started out with some 300,000 troops of which only 6,000 survived the war.
3. In the case of the University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics (or whatever they are called today), it matters little whether the idiotic order to fire Glen Mason came from Robert Bruininks, The Regents of the University of Minnesota, or whether this was a brain f@rt specially conjured up by Joel Maturi himself. What matters are the results. The results remind me of dropping ordnance on our own troops and killing them through “friendly fire.” We fragged ourselves through this horrible display of leadership.
4. Paulus likely would have been courts martialed by Hitler and probably executed for breaking out of “The Kessel,” but he would have saved tens of thousands of good German soldiers. A good leader puts the interests of those under his / her charge ahead of his / her own personal interests. In Paulus’ case, he made two bad decisions, the first agreeing to prematurely attack Stalingrad, followed by an even worse one which would seal the fate of the German Sixth Army.
5. Our 37 – 24 loss last night is another monument to Joel Maturi’s horrible decision making, and his failure to hold himself accountable for the irreparable damage he has perpetrated on University of Minnesota revenue sports. If Robert Bruininks or The Regents of the University of Minnesota ordered Joel Maturi to fire Glen Mason, then Joel should have had the character to stand up to them, refuse the order, and tender his own resignation in protest. If the decision to fire Glen Mason was Joel Maturi’s and Joel’s alone, he should have resigned before he fired Tim Brewster, in acknowledgement of his own personal mistakes. He did neither.
6. I don’t blame Tim Brewster like other people on this board do. He took the opportunity to earn 7 figures Joel handed him on a silver platter. Tim did not make a decision to be a poor football coach. He made a decision to become a millionaire.
7. Thank God Joel did not go through ROTC at Notre Dame and did not lead men in battle in Vietnam.

Winona Phantom we salute you!
Michigan – 0
Minnesota – 22
24 October 1953
SKI-U-MAH!

...did you??? :uhoh

Park Kraken
Sep 25th, 2011, 04:34:04 PM
Why do you follow Aggy? That worries me.

As I said, I don't watch much College Football, so I'm mainly in it for family support, then friend support. My aunt lives in Houston, and both of my cousins from that family went to Texas A&M for College.

You're referring to Mr Imo, right?

<!-- / message -->

Sanis Prent
Sep 25th, 2011, 04:49:28 PM
Yeah I am. He's a cuckolded Minnesota fan.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:35:35 PM
I am surprised no one started a thread for it. We have had several good weeks of football. Right now LSU looks like like the best team but it is very early. Alabaman, Oklahoma, and Stanford all look good. Clemson has had a great season and have beat 3 straight ranked teams and are 5-0. I have my doubts they can leap the SEC, Big 12, or Stanford, but they should still have a great shot at the ACC title and a major bowl for the first time since the 1980s.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 2nd, 2011, 06:26:55 AM
Here's the thread you're after :)

http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22127

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 2nd, 2011, 06:31:47 AM
I've shifted this thread into the forum with the rest of the sports talk :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:02:59 AM
whoops not sure how I missed it. I can just merge the two threads.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:07:15 AM
I didn't realize this thread existed, so we can talk about the games this weekend here. I was really impressed with Clemson this weekend. This is the best they have looked in at least 10 years.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:31:08 PM
This is why Florida got beaten so badly.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/videogallery/65032552/Sports/Will-Muschamp-Nick-Saban-and-Star-Wars

Jakys Sei'trem
Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:45:26 PM

No, I use punctuation and grammar. ;)

Also I have at least some shred of sanity.

Sanis Prent
Oct 8th, 2011, 06:18:14 AM
I'm going to Tuscaloosa this morning to tailgate. I will take plenty of pics, vids, etc

Sanis Prent
Oct 8th, 2011, 06:33:46 AM
Also, since I had no idea this was moved, a little more topical stuff:

Yeah, Clemson is on fire. Looks like they're having the season they should have had in 2008. If they can keep the intensity up through the next few games it bodes well for them in the conference.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2011, 09:10:43 AM
I am from the DFW area originally. Back there, one game always brings in an influx of visitors. Texas/OU was always a big deal (even though I really kinda despise both teams). Because of where my hometown is on I35, we'd have bajillions of Sooners roll through on their way to Dallas..

It's really a crazy, unique kinda game and atmosphere. The State Fair back drop, the way the stadium is halved off at the 50, etc. -- really a cool deal. I will watch, as I usually do, really having no clue who to even root for. But, it takes me back, it really does.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 8th, 2011, 05:38:02 PM
I'm so glad LaMichael James is going to be okay. Can we stop replaying the injury on the news, now? :x

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2011, 09:38:59 PM
This is about the first time i consider the rankings somewhat earned -- since we're a month into the season. Therefore, here is the rundown of ranked teams that lost this week.

(11) Texas
(15) Auburn
(17) Florida
(23) Florida State

And in the most important game of the weekend, North Texas beat FAU 31-17. :D

Sanis Prent
Oct 8th, 2011, 11:36:21 PM
My pick 'em got wrecked this week. Auburn, FSU, Miami, and Nebraska? You broke my heart.

Went to the Bama game (my first to attend in the Saban era) and holy shit it was an experience. That stadium is ridiculously large now. Also the game lead-in video thing is basically Saban screaming at everyone. It has a very Triumph of the Will sort of vibe which is kinda creepy until I decide aw fuck it, no it owns.

Bama was Bama. 1st quarter was derp, we can't run shit and our over-aggressive secondary plays way off assignment (Dre Kirkpatrick I'm looking at you) but we ratcheted it up and rolled along like a death march after that. We still need kickers in the worst way. Ugh they're awful.

Also I got a real good look at Jalston Fowler, our "3rd string" running back, or the 400 pounds of meat and iron they call Jalston Fowler. His arms are the size of my legs holy fucking shit. In 4 years that dude is gonna make the Pittsburgh Steelers really happy, because he's a yards-after-contact bull

Yog
Oct 9th, 2011, 01:11:27 AM
We won all the games convincingly so far though. Looking good! :rollin

The game vs LSU will be huge. Also, Tennessee, because I enjoy watching them suffer.

Give ‘em hell, Alabama!

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2011, 08:30:17 AM
Yeah they haven't been in a situation that's remotely put the issue in doubt for me yet. Penn State was the closest to that but even then it wasn't really. That's good for my blood pressure, but of course that all changes vs LSU which let's face it, whoever wins that game is going to win the National Championship. Could a Wisconsin or an Oklahoma beat the SEC champion? Maybe, but LSU and Bama both look better.

Gonna totally tailgate for the LSU game, but no way am I getting in. I'd need to put my house up on a 2nd mortgage for a ticket inside.

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2011, 08:45:04 AM
Just found out that Jalston Fowler weighs in at 246 pounds. A running back, at 246 pounds. Holy shit.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 9th, 2011, 08:46:13 AM
How much does it generally cost to attend a college football game??

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2011, 08:58:57 AM
It ranges from free to one thousand dollars, depending on the team and the significance of the game, as well as the location in the stadium. Midfield and lower seating commands high prices, as well as reserved boxes, which are astronomical.

It was a lot more affordable to go to games when I was in school because Alabama wasn't all that good, but even then they're Alabama so you'll pay for tickets. With us being as dominant as we've been the past four years and with a national championship under us, you're looking at probably $75 for upper deck seating for a game with few or no stakes, and for a really contentious game, probably $300 or more. I remember when Bama went to the Rose Bowl to play Texas for the 2009 championship, tickets were easily hitting $1000 and sometimes more than that.

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2011, 10:16:54 AM
I see Figz browsin', so now's a time to give his team a hand for beating NCAA polio victim Minnesota Real Bad.

Figrin D'an
Oct 9th, 2011, 11:31:45 AM
I see Figz browsin', so now's a time to give his team a hand for beating NCAA polio victim Minnesota Real Bad.

Fortunately, Minnesota is bad enough that even Purdue's herp derp coaching staff couldn't have enough brain farts to screw it up.

Could be a while before another win.

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2011, 11:38:40 AM
I cannot wait until Wisconsin plays the Gophers. Can I record games on ESPN3 on xbox? Because that's gonna be a clinic on how to cheat at video game football. Bieliema is gonna hang 100 on them.

Kale
Oct 12th, 2011, 01:26:28 PM
So, Texas Tech hosted Texas A&M last weekend, probably the last meeting between those teams as conference opponents. It's no secret that A&M is reviled at Tech, largely for reasons Charley already enumerated. But I was still disgusted to hear reports that shortly before the game Texas Tech fans had smeared the A&M team buses with manure and spray-painted vulgar epithets on the outside for the players to find when they returned.

Oh wait... (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7086091/texas-tech-red-raiders-say-fish-bait-not-manure-put-texas-aggies-bus)

Yeah, it turns out the whole thing was a gross exaggeration by A&M athletic director Bill Byrne. And by exaggeration, I mean lie. Someone put fish bait in one of the buses and smeared shoe polish on some of the windows. Childish, yes, but not really in the same category as manure and spraypaint graffiti, and it was all cleaned up by hotel staff before any A&M officials even had the chance to see it. Whether Byrne was misinformed or whether he invented the story wholesale, it's pretty clear where the bullshit is coming from.

More importantly, there's no evidence that Texas Tech students were responsible. But that hasn't stopped a torrent of stories on blogs, radio shows, newspaper articles, and ESPN about how terrible Texas Tech fans are. Hey, SEC, hope you enjoy having the Aggies in your conference.

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2011, 03:03:44 PM
As most know, I am from Texas originally. I went to NT - and since we're far down the line of programs in the state, especially now, I went to more than my fair share of road games at the "big boys" in the state (and nearby states).

I have to say the worst place I was ever treated my opposition was in Lubbock, and the best was in College Station. We were cursed at, had stuff thrown at us, and I even saw some Tech kid spit on the car we pooled down there in.

That may be due to us actually beating Tech (while losing at places such as Baylor, Oklahoma, A&M, etc) two of the four times we played them while I was in school - but I would always believe any story that came out of there about bad treatment by Tech fans.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 12th, 2011, 03:18:23 PM
ESPN is awful. So are Florida football teams. All of them suck.

Kale
Oct 13th, 2011, 07:06:05 AM
I'll grant that Tech fans have earned a terrible reputation, and I'm not proud of it. Just like I'm not proud of them rushing the field twice at the end of the victory over UT before the game was actually over...

On a much more pleasant note, I got to go to my first Penn State game at Happy Valley this Saturday to see them upset Iowa. Now THAT was an awesome atmosphere, and an absolutely dominant defensive performance by the Nitanny Lions. Penn State's certainly not at their best right now, but I'm thrilled I was able to see a good game from them.

Sanis Prent
Oct 13th, 2011, 09:08:32 PM
Wasn't there some boo-hoo incident that the Aggies fluffed up last year at Texas Tech too? Some old codger saying he had to fend off a ravenous horde of Red Raider fans with his binoculars or something stupid?

Anyways, fuck Aggy. Texas Tech owns, even if they have Tuberville now.

CMJ
Oct 13th, 2011, 09:25:28 PM
It's easy to say they "own" when you've never been to a game there Charley. As I said, been to some hostile stadiums in my day (more in the "support their team loudly kind of intimidation"), but never a place like that where it's just a bunch of tasteless hooligans.

I went to the Rose Bowl this past January (I always have wanted to go, especially since I live in LA now, so the girlfriend finally convinced me that I should cross it off the bucket list), and Wisconsin folks reminded me of them. They have to have a pretty crappy rep in Big 10 country I'd imagine.

((All of that said, UT is still my most hated team because of their sheer arrogance and all of their "t-shirt fans" who disappear the second things go south for them. But I suppose that's what you get growing up in TX))

Sanis Prent
Oct 13th, 2011, 09:51:56 PM
I've tailgated with LSU fans for years and years. I'm pretty sure LSU fans would kill Tech fans, and then make them into tasty gumbo.

Funny you should mention a horribleness scale of Big 10 fans:

Fire Jerry Kill (http://www.firejerrykill.com/2011/10/10/first-to-worst-ranking-big-ten-fans/) did a fairly cool pseudo-scientific rating to determine which Big 10 fans are the most terrible. Wisconsin clocks in at a fairly average 7 out of 12. The worst fans? Nebraska. Already.

As for Texas? Got enough of their shit in the 2009 BCSCG. They're the biggest doucher fairweather fans next to Florida. Boots instead of Jorts I guess.

Sanis Prent
Oct 13th, 2011, 09:56:55 PM
Also I admit I kinda take a shine to institutions that have asshole fans. After all, a cornerstone tradition of Alabama involves 100,000 people screaming in unison after we beat a team in order to rub in the fact that we did, in fact, beat the hell out of them. I'm much more partial to talking infinite amounts of shit than peeing on your vehicle or something though, so I guess I'm an asshole, but not felony/misdemeanor asshole. Yet.

CMJ
Oct 13th, 2011, 10:11:47 PM
Perhaps your famous cheer is "we're gonna beat the out of you" -- but the word I heard from NT folks who saw games at Bryant Denny, when we played yall this year and a few years back, was that you had some of the nicest fans we ever encountered.

Again, there is a difference between loud intimidation, and just being jackasses.

And yes, LSU has a bad rep too....I never saw us play there, but we have, and most of the stories were not that kind. Especially among our marching band who were harassed rather badly before.

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2011, 11:43:56 PM
This was a crazy weekend. I think we're down to ten unbeatens now. For my money, the most impressive performance was by Clemson, because Maryland was a total trap game who ambushed the Tigers early. But Clemson recovered, and then ended up winning by 2 scores. The first BCS standings come out tomorrow evening. Anyways, here goes the (AP) ranked teams that lost.

(11) Michigan
(12) Georgia Tech
(16) Illinois
(18) Arizona St
(20) Baylor
(22) Texas

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2011, 12:44:32 AM
Everybody on earth knew Michigan and Illinois were due to get blown up, but I'm pissed that Georgia Tech and Baylor lost. Messin' up my otherwise good pick'em list.

CMJ
Oct 16th, 2011, 06:46:36 AM
I also figured Michigan was gonna lose, because the Spartans have owned them recently. Illinois was a bit of a surprise just because Ohio State has struggled so much, especially on offense. I figured GA Tech was gonna stay undefeated a few more weeks, but picking against A&M when they play Baylor is pretty insane. I believe the Aggies have won 26 or the last 28 times they played.

Sanis Prent
Oct 16th, 2011, 07:39:09 AM
I admit I picked Baylor more with my heart than with my head. Wanted to believe :(

Sanis Prent
Oct 19th, 2011, 11:30:17 AM
Hate week has snuck up on me. Once again, it's time:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vt2BAfhUHX0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vt2BAfhUHX0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Burn Knoxville to the ground, Bulldoze its ashes. Salt the earth, and throw their first born off the Smoky Mountains. Forever and ever, Insh'allah.

Yog
Oct 19th, 2011, 02:26:50 PM
I hate Tennessee! I HATE Tennessee.

Btw, I hate Tennesse!

On another note, I hate Tennessee.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 19th, 2011, 02:31:02 PM
LOL it is funny I have a couple of UT Fans and one of them is close friends with a big Alabama fan. They find ways to get along except for this one week out of the year.
As for Clemson, I was in New Orleans during the game and really couldn't watch it (I had a wedding to go to) but I saw the highlights and was very impressed with the way they came back. I can't see them losing to UNC so Georgia Tech becomes their next big test.

Sanis Prent
Oct 19th, 2011, 04:18:29 PM
I really only have one person in my life who is a Tennessee fan, and they're a coworker that I don't have to interact with much. I don't know what I'd do if I actually had a friend or family member pull for them, ugh.

I hate Tennessee! I HATE Tennessee.

Btw, I hate Tennesse!

On another note, I hate Tennessee.

Hell yeah!

Morgan Evanar
Oct 20th, 2011, 08:42:21 AM
I don't feel this way about anyone the Canes plays except for Notre Dame. "Catholics VS. Convicts." I think I was like 8 or 10 but even then I understood clearly self-righteous bullshit without any legs to stand on. I still take delight in seeing them fail.

I dunno, maybe Florida for dropping us, but that trash talking douche Spurrier is gone and we're back on their schedule again... after being turrible for almost 10 years. Still kinda hate Florida.

And I like FSU, because they is us in the panhandle.

PS: Fuck Orange.

Sanis Prent
Oct 20th, 2011, 06:26:49 PM
The Sun Rises.

The Sun Sets.

We All Hate Notre Dame.

(bro-five)

I mean, this used to be a big poster on my wall when I was a kid:

Morgan Evanar
Oct 20th, 2011, 08:40:52 PM
(bro-five)

Fantastic. Just fantastic.

Sanis Prent
Oct 20th, 2011, 09:23:19 PM
Sweet holy fuck if you aren't watching the Arizona v UCLA game watch it immediately. It's like a bowl of bad football diarrhea. If Rick Neuheisel doesn't lose his job at the end of this, then pretty much just drop a bomb on LA and forget about that city.

Sanis Prent
Oct 22nd, 2011, 06:56:55 AM
Happy Game Day.

Roll Damn Tide.

If you're from Tennessee. Go fuck yourself. Literally. Arrange some way to both deliver and receive intercourse by and from the same person being yourself, like an oroborous made of genitalia. While on fire.

Yog
Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:38:21 PM
Finally, the day of rejoice as we watch Tennessee suffer is here. May their game be a painful and humiliating experience. May they return to their questionable heritage in shame and disgrace, and grant us the blessing of malicious pleasure as we laugh about their comical lack of skill and talent.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 22nd, 2011, 01:43:09 PM
Clemson was impressive today. Their offense is amazing and will be tough for teams to slow down.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:48:27 PM
Da UUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 22nd, 2011, 09:37:09 PM
What an unbelievable ending to the Michigan State Game. Wisconsin fans must be sick. They are out of the title race and Oklahoma might be out if they don't turn it around in the second half.

Rev Solomon
Oct 22nd, 2011, 09:44:55 PM
We will HIT 'em, we will WRECK 'em, we will WRECK 'em TEXAS TECH!
And vict'ry bells will ring oooooooouuuuut!

(That's the official version, not the version you're likely to actually hear sung from the student section, I'm sorry to say...)

24-7 over the Sooners at the half! Go Tech! :shootin

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 22nd, 2011, 09:57:36 PM
I would love to see Texas Tech win. It will give Clemson a shot. They just need Oklahoma State to lose.

Rev Solomon
Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:16:52 PM
I am amazed how hard Oklahoma is trying to lose this game. Let's not disappoint them, Red Raiders!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:32:26 PM
Texas Tech holds on to the win. Big win for the Red Raiders and it continues to shake up the BCS. So who is number 3? I would guess Oklahoma State, but it does give Clemson, Stanford, and Boise State hope.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:46:26 AM
I have to wonder if there was a ritual sacrifice that took place in Alabama's locker room during halftime, and if so which poor freshman it was.

Sanis Prent
Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:03:50 AM
I have to wonder if there was a ritual sacrifice that took place in Alabama's locker room during halftime, and if so which poor freshman it was.

It's a combination of Bama playing games very loose in the first quarter and a half, mixed in with the very real notion that they were looking way past Tennessee to the clash of the titans that will be the LSU game. Post-game interviews pretty much confirm that Saban lit into their asses for it at halftime, which he should. We pay him a king's ransom to be an evil bastard and I like the work he does.

Oh, also HAIL SABAN. Fuck you, Rocky Top.

Holy shit, this game day was so good it has to be fattening. Bama crushes Tennessee, Auburn loses (although LSU losing would have been better), Oklahoma loses (FUCK YES GO RAIDERS), Bucky loses (WOO SPARTY), Clemson keeps their bizarro run intact, and DA UUUU wrecks Tech!!!!

Now, where does this leave projections for the championship game. LSU/Bama vs...? Stanford, Okie State, or Clemson seem to be the real answers here (In your dreams Boise State). Okie State's not out of the woods because they've got to survive Bedlam against a Sooner team that's gotta be pissed off and looking for blood. The Cardinal has to deal with Oregon which is far from a sure thing, and Clemson is probably a 14 point underdog against Murphy's Law still.

College football just got super bonus points interesting. So awesome.

Sanis Prent
Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:21:38 AM
BTW you would have been proud of my restraint sweety. I sat around and took that shitty first quarter and was pretty chill. Then Brooke had to go to the store for something.

The moment it was just us guys?

"SON OF A BITCH MOTHER FUCKER!!!"

Rev Solomon
Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:31:55 AM
Watching Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma, I knew the lead wasn't going to hold, even when Tech scored to open the half and make it 31-7. Their offense isn't built to run the clock, and their defense doesn't have the consistency to hold down a powerful offense like Oklahoma's for 35+ minutes of possession time. Their only hope was to keep on scoring, which they did, despite a couple badly misguided decisions by Tuberville (forgoing a field goal to go for it on fourth, calling a fake punt on the minus side of the field).

You can't cheer for Tech the way you cheer for an SEC or Big Ten team. The momentum is going to swing four or five times as each offense pummels the opposing defense. Tech didn't almost blow a huge lead - they scored just enough to stay ahead of Oklahoma's inevitable surge, which is exactly how they beat #1 Texas a couple years ago, and exactly how they win every big game they've ever won. Meanwhile, their defense made just enough big plays to keep their offense on track. I'm thrilled for them, and I'm still really impressed with how well the defense held Oklahoma in check for more than half the game!

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:38:53 AM
Oregon destroyed poor Colorado State. Sometimes I feel sorry for teams - they had so many injuries that there were a ton of true freshmen playing. Still, CS kept playing so I admire that. Not really a test of Oregon by any stretch of the imagination and the team still managed to make some dumb mistakes and take penalties they shouldn't. Things to work on.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:01:00 AM
I have to say South Carolina scares me the most as far Clemson's next opponents are concerned. Georgia Tech looks weaker after losing to Miami and Virginia (especially them considering they are the worst team in the ACC). NC State and Wake Forest should be wins. But South Carolina is Clemson big rival and anything can happen in a rivalry game.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:30:36 AM
Oh Minnesota, you so crazy.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/silancy/16k2994jpg.gif

Sanis Prent
Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:32:31 AM
Minnesota football is like one of those episodes of the three stooges where they're somehow playing. I feel a strange sense of ambivalence watching them because it's for serious the funniest shit in the universe but also their failings are 90% attributable to their terrible coaching staff and those kids do deserve a lot better.

EDIT: Case in point, note the blocker's approach right before the the Nebraska defender caroms him into his own ball carrier. He's going for a chop, which is of questionable effectiveness and extremely risky to the health of both the deliverer and the target. Guess what Minnesota was doing on their bye week instead of resting and getting film time? Full pads practices running them ragged and chop blocking each other.

Seriously Jerry Kill should be fired into the sun.

CMJ
Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:19:55 PM
Don't sleep on Kansas State quite yet. They've quietly been impressive all year.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:50:23 PM
Don't sleep on Kansas State quite yet. They've quietly been impressive all year.

Well I keep forgetting about them, although I am not sure if they can beat both Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. Even if they do they probably can't jump Stanford or Clemson unless they lose.

Sanis Prent
Oct 24th, 2011, 05:56:17 PM
While K State is pretty good this year, they're facing Okie on the heels of that embarassment in Lubbock. They gon' lose.

CMJ
Oct 24th, 2011, 07:58:17 PM
It was in Norman, not Lubbock.

Sanis Prent
Oct 24th, 2011, 08:05:56 PM
Ah, touché. I still think it's gonna make the Sooners real mad, and I don't see Oklahoma losing two in a row.

Sanis Prent
Oct 28th, 2011, 10:12:54 PM
Throwin' this in here for the GATOR HATOR NATION

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KYa8gy3vOvE&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KYa8gy3vOvE&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Mu Satach
Oct 29th, 2011, 04:32:41 PM
How I'm watching the OSU vs Utah game bitches!

http://twitter.com/#!/Nzat/status/130391781081743362/photo/1

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 29th, 2011, 05:49:34 PM
Nebraska beating Michigan State is the biggest surprise along with Missouri taking out Texas A&M. OU knocked off Kansas State and it looks like Charley was right that they were going to take it out on them. We have a couple of big night games with Stanford-USC and Georgia Tech-Clemson battling it out.

CMJ
Oct 29th, 2011, 10:21:24 PM
Crazy day of football. Drama all over the place. Ranked (AP) teams to lose.

(6) Clemson
(9) Michigan St.
(10) Kansas St.
(12) Wisconsin
(16) Texas A&M
(19) Texas Tech
(20) USC

Sanis Prent
Oct 29th, 2011, 10:54:51 PM
USC aaaaaaaaalmost pulled it out.

So close.

Should've known Michigan State would choke, as it is their way to do so. Surprised to see Wisconsin lose.

Sanis Prent
Oct 29th, 2011, 10:58:41 PM
Also hot damn the MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS have doubled their wins in the span of one week!!!

Jerry Kill to be signed to another two decades onto his contract! Peace in our time!

Sanis Prent
Oct 30th, 2011, 12:17:56 AM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/LoungieMu/LUCK-SNOT-ROCKET.gif

Ladies and Gents, your 2011 Heisman Trophy winner

Mu Satach
Oct 30th, 2011, 01:03:41 AM
Nice velocity. Trajectory could be improved a bit. I give it 3 1/2 stars. :p

And in my little corner of the Pac-12, UT finally has a conference win, I had an awesome time and then after it was all over, the network crashed on campus. HA!

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 30th, 2011, 06:22:13 PM
Love watching the Beavers lose, Nat!! :D I feel bad for Colorado, though, they are completely outclassed by the PAC-12 ... although they have so many injuries it's hard to say how well they'd really stack up against the competition.

And USC really should have won that game against Stanford. :(

Sanis Prent
Oct 30th, 2011, 07:07:00 PM
I was pulling for USC too (oh man I feel dirty saying that) but it was an awesome game to watch. I kept postponing my workout to catch the end and it just kept going and going and going.

Also Utah owns. If y'all get another team like you had in 2008 you're gonna beat people up.

Mu Satach
Oct 31st, 2011, 04:36:15 PM
I love my job.
http://twitter.com/#!/Nzat/status/130427534746722305/photo/1/large
so psyched for the UCLA game here on the 12th now. :)

I feel for Colorado it has been very ugly for them.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 31st, 2011, 11:31:04 PM
Clemson laid an egg. They played terrible, especially on defense. Luckily, they will still probably get to the ACC championship game and get to replay Va Tech. They have Wake and NC State left and they should win both games. I can settle for the Orange Bowl. They are just a young team, and they should build on this season for next year.

Sanis Prent
Nov 2nd, 2011, 06:21:47 PM
Yeah, Clemp is gonna win the ACC. I do not see them messing that part up.

How do you like them vs SCAR? I think you'll win but that game is always hard to bet on.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 2nd, 2011, 06:55:28 PM
I think they can beat SC. Still, it is always hard to predict because of the rivalry. Clemson is the better team right now and SC's offense is awful.

Sanis Prent
Nov 2nd, 2011, 08:25:22 PM
I wouldn't say awful, maybe just in transition. Alshon's good, their new QB's just gotta get his act together.

Any word on whether Lattimore will be back in time for that game?

Morgan Evanar
Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:30:40 PM
With the exception of Clemson, the ACC has been hyper-cannibalistic. Everyone can seemingly beat anyone else on a given week, for the most part.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:40:43 PM
I wouldn't say awful, maybe just in transition. Alshon's good, their new QB's just gotta get his act together.

Any word on whether Lattimore will be back in time for that game?

He is done for the year. It was a devastating injury for them.

As for the ACC, Virginia Tech has avoided losing to other teams, except for Clemson.

Rev Solomon
Nov 5th, 2011, 09:35:52 PM
The LSU/Alabama game is a prime example of the kind of game where the college overtime system is a joke. This has been a knock-out fight between two amazing defenses, where scores are set up by battles of field position spanning multiple drives. And now that all gets tossed aside so the two offenses can start on the opposing 25. These teams have shown they're very evenly matched, and it's been an incredible defensive struggle. It's really a shame that it has to end with an overtime system that renders defense all but meaningless.

Yes, LSU turned in a dominant defensive series to force Alabama backwards out of field goal range. But, as a result, LSU's offense didn't even have to bother trying to advance the ball, since they're already in field goal range. That's a nearly impossible hill for Alabama's defense to climb; even perfection can't keep LSU from setting up the winning try.

CMJ
Nov 5th, 2011, 09:46:11 PM
Absolutely crazy day of college football. Not just the 1/2 game, but all over the place.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 5th, 2011, 09:48:16 PM
I would call that more of a slugfest than a game.

CMJ
Nov 5th, 2011, 11:50:45 PM
Ranked AP teams to go down this week.

(2) Alabama
(9) Nebraska
(10) South Carolina
(13) Michigan
(17) Kansas St.
(20) Arizona St.
(24) West Virginia

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2011, 07:23:02 AM
Today hurts for so many reasons.

Too many mistakes in that game cost us. We had the opportunity to set the tone repeatedly and lost it repeatedly. Congrats to LSU.

Figrin D'an
Nov 6th, 2011, 07:40:25 AM
Not to pile on... but it floors me how a great program like Alabama can have such problems finding a consistent and reliable kicker. Make one of those missed field goals and it's a completely different game.

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2011, 07:49:48 AM
The only foreigners we recruit are linemen, instead of Slavic kickers with funny names. Less large Canadians, Australians, and Camaroonians, and more lanky awkward dudes from Belarus or something?

It's not like we're incapable of having great kickers. I mean we had the Tiffin dynasty after all.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 6th, 2011, 10:26:33 AM
LSU's playcalling on offense was pretty dumb at the end of the game too.

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2011, 11:25:48 AM
We owned their number on offense and defense all game. We just had no special teams. Bleh.

Also Tyrann Mathieu can go get hit by a bus. He should forever get fucked.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 6th, 2011, 12:26:24 PM
It was a very ugly game. Also, I think Stanford can beat LSU. Luck is an amazing QB and can be the difference in a close game. Of course they have to beat Oregon next week and need Oklahoma State to lose.

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2011, 01:29:31 PM
There is no way Stanford wins against either LSU or Alabama. Luck hasn't passed on a quality secondary yet.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 6th, 2011, 01:48:10 PM
He is a great QB though and I think he can do it. To me he is the next Rodgers.

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2011, 02:33:29 PM
He's a good QB but he's built his resume against conference opponents with flaccid secondary coverage to put it mildly. I think he'd be able to deliver the ball underneath well enough, but a stingy defense will give the short ball up as long as they bottle up the receiver after each touch. Against a secondary that plays aggressive you lose the deep ball and big play metric and the pass you can throw into double coverage against USC is incredibly risky against a safety that doesn't stunt up four steps on a bad read each snap.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 6th, 2011, 03:14:44 PM
Well I just want a non-SEC team to win. Its gets old when the same conference wins all the championships. I see Stanford as the best hope since I don't think Oklahoma state has the defense to do it. Oklahoma could have kept up but they blew it.

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2011, 03:55:11 PM
well thats too bad because the SEC owns and we're gonna win all the championships from now on

Morgan Evanar
Nov 6th, 2011, 07:49:16 PM
IMO Luck doesn't have any real targets and LSU's best in country secondary would make it incredibly difficult.

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2011, 08:39:47 PM
We're surprisingly the better secondary team between us and LSU, even with that game considered. LSU's is very close, and their front set are better than our front set, but our linebackers are better than theirs.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Stanford vs one of these teams because it would be interesting. It just wouldn't at all equate to the success Luck is used to, because he just will not have the weapons at his disposal he takes for granted in the wide open PAC

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2011, 09:59:08 PM
Also this Penn State stuff is breaking my heart. I hurt for the kids involved, and my admiration for Joe Paterno is in tatters. This is a bad day.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 7th, 2011, 12:15:27 AM
well thats too bad because the SEC owns and we're gonna win all the championships from now on

Unless the world ends soon, I don't think so. The odds one conference will dominate longer than a few years is very unlikely. Anything can happen and I remember when the SEC wasn't very good.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 7th, 2011, 02:55:50 PM
So, Oregon is playing Stanford next week. We're going to beat them. knock on wood

Also Alabama, please kill Boise State. K thx.

CMJ
Nov 7th, 2011, 03:56:18 PM
I expect a chaotic few weeks. I guess we'll see, but I don't think it will be LSU vs OSU come January.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 7th, 2011, 05:33:29 PM
I expect a chaotic few weeks. I guess we'll see, but I don't think it will be LSU vs OSU come January.

I don't thinks so either. Not sure if LSU plays anybody good enough to beat them, but I think OSU will lose.

Sanis Prent
Nov 7th, 2011, 08:16:34 PM
So, Oregon is playing Stanford next week. We're going to beat them. knock on wood

I want LSU on a rematch. I will accept the head of Boise State on a platter as a consolation though.

Mu Satach
Nov 7th, 2011, 10:31:16 PM

Yes please, I not only second that request but fully back it whole heartedly.

CMJ
Nov 7th, 2011, 11:13:55 PM
Go Boise. :p

(Us little guys have to stick together)

Sanis Prent
Nov 7th, 2011, 11:26:44 PM
I have marital obligations to hate Boise that come into play well before I take into account that they're whiny little shits the rest of the world is tired of.

Besides, Houston is a lot more interesting as far as "little guys" go this year, if only because Case Keenum is straight up playing playstation football out there.

CMJ
Nov 7th, 2011, 11:58:37 PM
Houston is more like the Hawaii team from '07 (I think). They aren't ready for prime time, and would probably not put up a good showing. Hence why all the "big boys" wanna give Houston a shot...once they got rolled all the Texas's and Michigan's, and Alabama's would point and laugh while saying "I told you so" at their expense. BSU on the other hand (like TCU for the most part, and Utah before they got promoted) has proven over the course of many years they bring it when the bright lights are on.

I'd also argue that most people still root for Boise State. Maybe no in the pacific north west (since those schools are irritated they encroach on their "turf") or in the deep south (who pretty much don't believe anyone is worthy if they're not in the SEC), but Boise State has fans (even if only the T-shirt variety) everywhere. At my work today for instance there were four of us discussing college football (one a Tennessee grad, one a St Mary's grad, one not a college graduate but from Oregon and a Duck fan, and myself a UNT grad) and we all were trying to formulate scenarios to get BSU in the title game.

Like it or not, it's something MANY people wanna see.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 8th, 2011, 02:15:43 PM
I hate Boise State because of their obnoxious blue field. :grumble

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 8th, 2011, 03:42:59 PM
I rather not see a rematch between LSU and Alabama because the first game was like watching paint dry. It was one of the ugliest games I have seen all year. It reminded me of the Cleveland Seattle game that was 6-3. I like offense more than defense, so I would rather see a team that can throw the ball in the title game.

Now on to more serious news what is everybody's opinion on Penn State and Joe Paterno?
http://news.yahoo.com/report-penn-state-preparing-oust-joe-paterno-174300468.html

It is a horrible mess there and if true the former defensive coach should go to jail. I don't think Paterno should be fired over it. Maybe he should have done more (although why the graduate assistant didn't go to the police is beyond me since he saw it). I just think he should be allowed to retire since he was such an amazing coach and go out with some dignity.

CMJ
Nov 8th, 2011, 04:21:11 PM
I love a great defensive struggle. I'd just prefer the NCG not to be a rematch.

As to Paterno.....

After reading numerous accounts and thoughts on news sites and message boards, this is basically what I think happened.

The first time anything suspicious involving Sandusky came to PSU's attention seems to have been 1998. Here is what the choices were.

1.Bring it into light, arrest Jerry, take the huge massive PR hit
2.Cover it up and let father time whittle it away

I think they did number two BECAUSE of Joe Paterno. He was so known for doing things the right way, JoePa couldn't stand that this shit happened under his watch all these years (potentially going back to the 1970's!). He also didn't want to believe that one of his best friends was a sexual predator, probably only half way believing it himself (how many times do relatives of major convicts try to ignore all warning signs....all the time...hell I am pretty sure I'd be in denial if my best friend was found to be some murderer or something).

He didn't want anyone to know about his failure to see the dark side of his best buddy. So they agreed with Jerry they wouldn't bring charges AND allow him to keep up the lifestyle for his silence. All of this was probably led by Paterno. Remember, there were numerous stories that he intended to retire around 1999 or shortly thereafter.....and he'd turn the reigns to Sandusky. But when this came out, obviously that plan was dumped. After Jerry "retired", Penn State football basically collapsed. They go through a couple of 5 win seasons (and people start saying Paterno's over the hill) with only one winning year over a four year stretch.

Paterno, who stayed on due to the scandal, was burned out, and didn't really wanna keep on. But he must stay on as head coach because now he has no hand picked successor. So he reorganizes in 2004 and overhauls his staff making them take on more and more responsibility, as he slips further and further into the father figure figurehead.

All this time Paterno holds the dark secret or his friend. He probably hopes that Sandusky's getting treated (that may have even been part of their 1999 "deal" --- a promise to go to therapy). That's why it has looked the last few years like he would die on the job. Now he trusts no one to take over his program, because his right hand for over a generation burned him so badly.

My reading simultaneously makes Paterno look like a monster, while sadly being sympathetic & human. I wish Paterno could coach out the string, but sadly I do not think he can, or should survive this.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 8th, 2011, 05:45:23 PM
Well I think he could coach till the end of the season, retiring at the end of the year would probably work. Of course we have no idea what went on inside the university. I am sure Joe was probably in denial. The first accusations could have been weak and it wasn't really until 2002 that things became worse. He was also investigated in 1998 and the police decided they didn't have enough evidence to prosecute, so the police was probably at blame as well. I am sure there is a lot of blame to go around. I guess we shall see how this plays out.

Figrin D'an
Nov 8th, 2011, 06:34:29 PM
Let me say that, as an alum of a Big Ten school and a fan of Big Ten football (and college football in general), I've had nothing but the utmost respect for Joe Paterno over the years. He's run a terrific program that has been successful both on and off the field, and he did it (for the most part) the "right" way in terms of being clean from NCAA infractions. He's been a role model in a lot of ways, both to his players and to the community in State College. He's been the type of leader/figurehead that most universities could only dream about having. I think he's genuinely an upstanding man who cares about helping other people.

All of that said...

Everyone involved in this situation who had ANY knowledge of the acts being perpetrated by Jerry Sandusky, from Mike McQueary (the then-graduate-assistant now assistant coach) who first saw the locker room incident in 2002, to Joe Paterno who learned about it from McQueary, to the AD and VP who learned of it from Paterno, to the university president, needs to resign. And not in month, or at the end of the season, or after the legal proceedings are concluded. Right now.

Regardless of potential legal culpability on the part of any particular person, they all failed to act to stop additional harm to the victim and they did not act to prevent further potential abuse. They all failed as responsible adults to protect children (yes, plural, because Sandusky's acts were systematic in nature) from harm. They allowed it to continue by not acting appropriately.

Paterno is just as guilty in this as those who have already been charged and forced to resign. Maybe not legally, but certainly morally. All the good he has done over the years, as vast and significant as it has been, does not give him a pass on this. He allowed a man he knew to be a sexual abuser of children to continue a pattern of behavior unchecked.

Sorry... I love what JoePa has done over the years, but this can't be handled with kid gloves simply because of his legacy as a great coach and mentor. We're talking about the lives of multiple people being permanently scarred. Football success doesn't mean jack shit in context to that.

Sanis Prent
Nov 8th, 2011, 08:09:25 PM
I agree with everything Figz said on this.

It's breaking my heart on so many levels. This is a terrible tragedy, but even if Paterno is legally cleared, he has to go. He has to.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 8th, 2011, 08:13:41 PM
This is one of the saddest moments in US College sports but I completely agree with Fig on this. Everyone involved has to go.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 8th, 2011, 09:06:03 PM
Well I think he could coach till the end of the season, retiring at the end of the year would probably work. Of course we have no idea what went on inside the university. I am sure Joe was probably in denial. The first accusations could have been weak and it wasn't really until 2002 that things became worse. He was also investigated in 1998 and the police decided they didn't have enough evidence to prosecute, so the police was probably at blame as well. I am sure there is a lot of blame to go around. I guess we shall see how this plays out.
When he has a graduate student coming to him telling him that he saw Sandusky raping a ten year old in the showers and nothing happens (effectively, that is. As he passed the report up the chain 'anal rape' was downgraded eventually to 'horsing around') I can't agree that the accusations may have been weak. Burn the whole system to the ground that allowed this to happen and CONTINUE to happen to children. :mad

Sanis Prent
Nov 8th, 2011, 09:31:39 PM
dan_bernstein
FYI: names are being x-checked w/Sandusky's Second Mile, and there are other older adult men with "curious" relationships. Only the start.

FIRE EVERYONE

ALL OF THEM

Morgan Evanar
Nov 8th, 2011, 09:58:12 PM
dan_bernstein
FYI: names are being x-checked w/Sandusky's Second Mile, and there are other older adult men with "curious" relationships. Only the start.

FIRE EVERYONE

ALL OF THEMPenn State more like Pedo State.

Fire everyone and set them on fire.

Sanis Prent
Nov 8th, 2011, 11:39:27 PM
Paterno to finish the season.

University president Spanier out, suggested replacement Tom Ridge?

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

CHILD RAPE? FUCK THAT, WE GOT THE BIG 10 CHAMPIONSHIP!

CMJ
Nov 9th, 2011, 12:12:06 AM
CHILD RAPE? FUCK THAT, WE GOT THE BIG 10 CHAMPIONSHIP!

I don't mean to minimize what happened, but that line seriously made me laugh my freaking ass off. Thanks bro. :)

Sanis Prent
Nov 9th, 2011, 12:42:22 AM
I'm basically resorting to cathartic humor at this point, or else I'm going to take this fifth of bourbon and just drink it as fast as I can because the world kind of sucks tonight.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2011, 03:05:24 AM
When he has a graduate student coming to him telling him that he saw Sandusky raping a ten year old in the showers and nothing happens (effectively, that is. As he passed the report up the chain 'anal rape' was downgraded eventually to 'horsing around') I can't agree that the accusations may have been weak. Burn the whole system to the ground that allowed this to happen and CONTINUE to happen to children. :mad

first the GA saw this and waited 24 hours before saying anything. I know if I saw something like that I would go to the police. This kid is worse than some of the others, IMO. And we have no idea what he told anybody else, he could even downplayed it for all we know. The Trustees are investigating and we shall see where things go. Also, the local police screwed up, they investigated in 1998 and swept it under the rug. They should probably get some of this fallout as well.

At the same time, if he stays coach it wouldn't surprise me. Back in 2002 when the Church faced a storm, Bernard Law kept his job and was later promoted back to Rome. The Pope even knew about some of it and let it go. So the Catholic Church has faced the same thing and actually what went on in there was much worse (more cases) so if Paterno stayed on till the end of the season we do have a comparison.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 9th, 2011, 09:48:58 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AqA7CuvkSu1f..YRjKSXkoE5nYcB?slug=ap-pennstate-abuse

PSU trustees fire Paterno, Spanier

Oh good.

Sanis Prent
Nov 9th, 2011, 10:06:50 PM
Finally.

Wish Paterno had been man enough to show himself the door though.

Figrin D'an
Nov 9th, 2011, 10:33:07 PM
The Penn State Board of Trustees ultimately did what was necessary.

The entire timeline of events that took place late last night (Paterno's media comments outside his home) and this morning (his retirement announcement) illustrated just how out of touch he actually is right now. I don't think he has completely fathomed just how serious this situation is. Maybe now, with some time to reflect, he'll finally get it.

If he does figure it out, I would hope he'd step up and do two vital things: issue a public apology to the victims and their families for failing in his responsibility to do more to protect them from harm, and dedicate his remaining years and resources to advocacy and awareness groups for helping to prevent child abuse.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 10th, 2011, 09:33:50 AM
I agree. It was clear that he had no idea that he had stepped on an irrevocable landmine of social doom. I believe if he had any idea that this was a category 5 shitstorm he would have stepped down.

The sad fact is that he didn't, and was either too stubborn or lacking enough real friends to tell him that he had to step down.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2011, 10:10:41 AM
I agree. It was clear that he had no idea that he had stepped on an irrevocable landmine of social doom. I believe if he had any idea that this was a category 5 shitstorm he would have stepped down.

The sad fact is that he didn't, and was either too stubborn or lacking enough real friends to tell him that he had to step down.

Well their was prescient for what happened. I think the best comparison was the situation with the Catholic Church and Bernard Law. He refused to resign and the Pope even gave him his complete support. He only resigned after they won the lawsuit three years later. I am sure there were those who thought they could follow the same pattern.
As for Paterno, I don't think he is a bad man he just made a mistake. I know if I can forgive Pope John Paul II for allowing that crap to happen in Boston than I can forgive Paterno and I think most people will as well.

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2011, 10:50:27 AM
A mistake is fucking up in the heat of the moment and owning up to it.

What do you call what Paterno did? Putting his head in the sand for at least nine years and probably many years more than that? Mistake doesn't cut it.

That's hard to forgive, and I'm somebody who's usually quick to do so.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2011, 11:03:12 AM
A mistake is fucking up in the heat of the moment and owning up to it.

What do you call what Paterno did? Putting his head in the sand for at least nine years and probably many years more than that? Mistake doesn't cut it.

That's hard to forgive, and I'm somebody who's usually quick to do so.

Pope John Paul did the same thing, and nobody ever called for his head. Law became the scapegoat. Paterno didn't commit a crime and I have no idea what I would do in his shoes. He was probably in denial not believing his friend would do that. If one of my closest friends were accused of something, I probably would not believe it either. I am not sure what you think else should be done with him. He was fired, and he will probably come out and make a statement. He will probably be more forthcoming than either the Pope or Bernard Law was in that scandal.

There is something I thought about but Penn State probably used the Church scandal as its precedent. They saw what the Church went through by dragging it out and the firestorm it caused and did the opposite.

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2011, 11:15:20 AM
My example extends to the former pontiff too. Hiding behind the law and "I didn't do anything illegal" is a pitiful shield to protect you in a position where you're expected to flow morality at all times.

I still feel like throwing up.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2011, 11:20:07 AM
Of course the irony is the Pope will probably be named a saint in the next couple of decades. I still think he was a great man just made that one mistake. The good he did outweighed the bad. I look at Paterno the same way. He made a huge error in judgement, but I think I can forgive him in the long run.

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2011, 11:31:37 AM
I can look at the good and the bad in the context of the same person. The problem is that the bad is so horrible that I can't just say "oh it compensates".

I have to take them as dualities.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 10th, 2011, 04:32:41 PM
Now there's the rumor that Sandusky was also pimping boys out to wealthy donors. It sounds ridiculous, but... who knows? Supposedly something horrifying is going to come out about the case by Saturday, and that very well could be it.

>_<

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2011, 05:15:20 PM
Yeah they're looking at the Second Mile as if it was established expressly for the purpose of grooming young boys for sex predators.

I want to just gouge my eyes out and quit the internet.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2011, 05:21:58 PM
Those are just internet rumors so who knows where they came from. It does sound like something you find on Law and Order SVU.

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2011, 05:33:16 PM
Judging from how long the abuse stems and the nature of pedophilia, it's a pretty good guess.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 10th, 2011, 05:39:27 PM
Those are just internet rumors so who knows where they came from. It does sound like something you find on Law and Order SVU.
http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html
It's a little bit more than 'just internet rumors' but still, not something that shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2011, 08:00:58 PM
It is still rumors and I don't find them very credible. Sometimes the press like to get carried away.

Figrin D'an
Nov 12th, 2011, 06:18:16 PM
Down goes Boise St. At home even.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 12th, 2011, 08:56:44 PM
I guess Boise weren't really good. Clemson survived a near upset to win the Atlantic division. I think they can beat Va Tech a second time. Oklahoma State was very impressive. Who knows maybe they are for real. Oregon is beating Stanford but I think Stanford can come back.

CMJ
Nov 12th, 2011, 09:20:18 PM
Boise was really good....TCU was just better than given credit for. They had quite a few younger guys, and had a rocky opening few games, but they've improved tons throughout the season. I knew that was gonna be a tough game for the Broncos. While I expected BSU to win, I wasn't surprised they didn't.

CMJ
Nov 12th, 2011, 10:51:33 PM
Well, the top 2 teams should stay the same, but otherwise things might go upside down after this week. Again, the ranked (AP) teams to go down this week.

(3) Stanford
(5) Boise St.
(12) Penn St.
(20) Georgia Tech
(21) Texas
(23) Cincinnati
(24) Auburn

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 12th, 2011, 10:57:30 PM
Ducks win! :crack

And Boise lost. Such a sweet day. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 12th, 2011, 11:52:14 PM
I am not sure if Oklahoma can beat Oklahoma State. They are going to have to play a perfect game. LSU better watch out for Georgia. They are playing great right now.
I still think Luck is a great QB and will be great in the NFL. Stanford just have no defense. The tackling was atrocious by them.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2011, 05:43:20 PM
Paterno has lung cancer., They say it is treatable, but Lung Cancer is one of the worse cancers.

CMJ
Nov 18th, 2011, 11:13:11 PM
So, who is #2 now?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2011, 11:55:18 PM
Good question things are getting a mess, now if LSU loses we will have total chaos. I actually like it because it makes the BCS look bad :evil

Dragon
Nov 19th, 2011, 09:35:20 PM
If LSU wins out, the only logical thing to do would be to declare them the champs and have two one-loss teams duke it out for #2.

Houston: Mr. BCS, sir, we're actually undefeated, too--

Shut up, you. You don't count.

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2011, 12:28:31 AM
What. A. Week. Ranked (AP) teams to lose this week.

(2) Oklahoma St.
(4) Oregon
(5) Oklahoma
(7) Clemson
(17) Nebraska
(22) Southern Miss
(23) Florida St.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 20th, 2011, 01:30:39 AM
This is getting ridiculous with the way this season has gone I wouldn't be surprised if LSU and Alabama both lose in the next three weeks. Hell, Houston might have still have a chance if teams keep losing.

Sanis Prent
Nov 20th, 2011, 03:12:23 PM
Rematch, Bitches.

I am making grinch-smile.gif right now

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 20th, 2011, 04:01:09 PM
There are still alot games to play. I think there could be more upsets.

CMJ
Nov 24th, 2011, 09:00:57 AM
As a native Texan, I am saddened that tonight's A&M/Texas game is the last one for the foreseeable future. Despite not really being a fan of either team as a kid, it was always a special game. Attending a different University altogether would make you think I could care less about this one, but it's not the case. They've played each other for nearly 120 years, and it just feels wrong that they are ending this rivalry (hopefully not for good). For that one game a year, just about everyone was an honorary Longhorn or Aggie. Hard to believe it's ending.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-11-21/horns-aggies-ending-storied-rivalry

Sanis Prent
Nov 24th, 2011, 09:22:17 AM
Yeah its ridiculously petty for them to end the rivalry simply over a break in conference. Plenty of schools have OOC rivalries perennially (USC v Notre Dame, Georgia v Georgia Tech, Clemson v South Carolina, etc)

Kinda hope this passes, if only because it's the only time I'd ever pull for Texas. Hook. Em. Horns. hookemhorns.

CMJ
Nov 24th, 2011, 09:26:25 AM
:lol And this is one of the few games a year I ever pulled for A&M growing up.

Saw'em off Aggies.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJKnPLFYmkg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJKnPLFYmkg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sanis AKA Young Sleazy
Nov 26th, 2011, 10:02:45 AM
Ahem.

Iron Bowl time.

Tear down everything that isn't bolted down in Lee County. Cut those dead ass trees down and burn them. Make that retarded eagle get confused by the smoke plume and fly into it and die.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwGpWYH8SZs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwGpWYH8SZs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The rivalry that Israel vs Hezbollah wishes it could be.

CMJ
Nov 26th, 2011, 10:36:01 AM
If it's anything like the last two years, it'll be epic. Unfortunately it'll probably be a blow out.

Sanis Prent
Nov 26th, 2011, 10:43:47 AM
We're gonna dick around and only win by two touchdowns, which sucks because it would rule to beat the shit out of them in Jordan Hare. Last time that happened, my friend's dad got Real Mad and threw his Auburn hat on the BBQ grill and ragequit. It was glorious.

CMJ
Nov 27th, 2011, 12:27:36 AM
After the crziness of a week ago, things went normal. Most of the favored teams won - even the ranked teams that lost were mostly underdogs in their games.

(3) Arkansas
(18) Clemson
(20) Penn St.
(22) Notre Dame
(24) Virginia
(25) Georgia Tech

As a final note --USC is playing the best out of anyone not in the SEC West right now. It's a shame they are still on probabtion.

Sanis AKA Young Sleazy
Nov 27th, 2011, 12:34:06 AM
No it's not a shame because fuck USC. 20 years in the wilderness with them.

Barkley does kinda own though. He's really matured.

Also holy shit Kentucky beat Tennessee. My football bliss today is complete.

CMJ
Nov 27th, 2011, 12:39:10 AM
Oh, I was rooting for UCLA tonight -- so I'm not exactly a Trojans fan (since i am more of a college basketball guy at heart, I naturally gravitated towards Westwood). But I'd like to see them play in January against a conference champ of some sort. They're really playing at an amazingly high level. I'm hard pressed to rank them ahead of teams like Oklahoma State or VA Tech who have been more consistent this year --- but I'd favor USC against either of those teams on a neutral field.

Heck, I'd give them a puncher's chance at LSU or Alabama too. Their only loss the last 7 weeks was a triple OT game to a top ten team.

Sanis Prent
Nov 27th, 2011, 12:58:51 AM
Give them the Big East champ, since nobody gives two wet dog turds about the Big East anyway. Ugh, whichever BCS bowl gets the Big East winner is gonna be kinda terrible.

I probably need to spend a few hours looking at the bowl projections to see how mad at the world I should be.

Sanis Prent
Dec 4th, 2011, 07:34:31 PM
ROWWWWWWW TIEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I can't believe they put our name in the pot. I would've understood either justification though. So pumped! The SEC West gets their third national championship in three years, and we have a chance of making that three years in the state of Alabama. That is insane.

CMJ
Dec 4th, 2011, 08:52:22 PM
I really think it shoulda been OSU, but congrats on getting in.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2011, 10:11:23 PM
I think this mess, shows we need a playoff system. How can you decide a national title by opinionated people, computers, and some mysterious formula. I think it needs to be decided on the field. I guess the only good thing that might come out of the forming of these super conferences is that it will be easier to justify it.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 6th, 2011, 12:58:16 PM
To me this is why the bowl system is sham and another reason why I despise it.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=pf-forde_rematch_right_sugar_bowl_travesty_120411

Va Tech doesn't deserve to be in the Sugar Bowl. They aren't a good team. They beat nobody and Clemson kicked the crap out of them twice. The game should be between Boise State and Kansas State, but all they care about is money. This is why the system is a mess and needs to be overhauled and another reason we need a playoff system.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2011, 03:35:18 PM
This article makes it appear that we could be seeing some changes to the BCS soon.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_football_final_four_gains_steam_120811

I could accept a Final Four. It is much better than the current system (although not as good as a playoff). It would help avoid some of the controversy. Hopefully, they can get this to pass and finally have a better system.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 9th, 2012, 11:00:51 PM
Alabama dominated LSU and wins their 2nd National Title in 3 years. I still hate the BCS, but Alabama deserved this win with the way they played.

Sanis Prent
Jan 10th, 2012, 12:23:31 AM
Welp, I'm gonna be worthless at work tomorrow.

Crusader
Jan 10th, 2012, 08:24:27 AM
Nim and I must have felt a disturbance in the force yesterday... First we found out that Bear Bryant is not the mascot of Alabama but a trainer... ;) then found out that it is actually an elephant and we found this wonderfull Alabama fight song... not knowing that Alabama would win the BCS (whatever that is anyway) the same day.

Congrats to Alabama... Roll Tide!

Sanis Prent
Jan 12th, 2012, 07:12:01 PM
No zealot quite like the converted :D

By the time Crimson Nerd rolls around, you'll be a Bama expert!