PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoffs/The Baseball Universe Is Back to Normal

Jedieb
Sep 29th, 2011, 03:09:09 PM
I thought the Baseball Universe had righted itself back in November of 09 when the Yankees beat the Phillies and notched #27 onto their belts. I was wrong, last night was the night that things REALLY got back to normal. Last night was business as usual for the Red Sox and to an extent, the Braves. Yes Red Sox nation, you're the nail again. All is well.

I don't think I could have scripted a more satisfying or humiliating September for Boston. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if the Yankees had been the ones to storm back from a 9 game September deficit instead of the Rays. But for it to have come down to an epic night of baseball like last night, a night so memorable many are calling it one of the greatest days of regular season baseball EVER, and for it to come at the expense of my hated rivals.... pure bliss!

The Red Sox were literally a pitch away from avoiding humiliation. In less than an hour they saw the Rays erase a 7 run deficit by putting up a dramatic 6 spot in the 8th, and then a ridiculous game tying HR by a guy hitting .108! If I heard it right today, THAT WAS JOHNSON'S FIRST HIT SINCE APRIL! Awesome, simply AWESOME. Then they had their butts handed to them by the lowly O's. They, liked the rest of the AL, OWNED you in September. You went 7-20 in September, an epic face plant. And you walked into that club house and in less than 5 minutes you got to see Longoria become only the SECOND player in MLB history to win a playoff spot with a walk off HR. There's now Bobby Thompson and Evan Longoria, and it came at your expense Red Sox nation. My gawd, this is just like the old days.

I honestly could care less about what happens here on out. If we lose to the Rays, Detroit, Texas or the eventual NL pennant winner I'd be fine with it. Because Boston is Boston again and the Yanks are competing for #28. All is right with the Universe again. 04 but a painful, distant memory...
:evil

Morgan Evanar
Sep 29th, 2011, 07:32:36 PM
Damn that's a lotta Hatorade Eb.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2011, 07:35:07 PM
They played badly and wouldn't have made it far in the playoffs anyway. It doesn't really matter as the Phillies are just too good and are going to win the WS. Of course, I could care less and probably won't watch any of the games. I am just not that big of a baseball fan anymore other than the Red Sox the sport is just so damn boring.

CMJ
Sep 29th, 2011, 07:48:45 PM
I'm not even gonna start to reply to Eb's post -- because I don't want to be banned for the amount of profanity that would be unleashed.

We lost, I'm over it. This isn't some curse, it's just a collapse. I still find the Mets one worse a couple of years ago because they blew a 7 game lead in just over 2 weeks. At least it took us a month! :)

I'll still watch the playoffs, because I like baseball (that's weak sauce Carr)

Preference in winning the World Series:

1. Texas Rangers
2. Milwaukee Brewers
3. Detroit Tigers
4. Arizona Diamondbacks
5. St. Louis Cardinals
6. Philadelphia Phillies
7. Tampa Bay Rays

Getting dumped by my girlfriend

Getting laid off at work

8. New York Yankees

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 30th, 2011, 08:43:46 PM
^---- lol. I love the whole Yanks Red Sox rivalry. We're pitting a Yanks fan and a Red Sox fan at work against each other for the benefit of the United Way. I've never seen a fund raiser as heated as this.

Yanks fan all the way, so I'll be cheering for them. But I really kind of want to see the BrewCrew win. If only to see one of my friends (who is also a Packer's fan - complete cheese head) completely go spaztic.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2011, 11:42:46 PM
I'm not even gonna start to reply to Eb's post -- because I don't want to be banned for the amount of profanity that would be unleashed.

We lost, I'm over it. This isn't some curse, it's just a collapse. I still find the Mets one worse a couple of years ago because they blew a 7 game lead in just over 2 weeks. At least it took us a month! :)

I'll still watch the playoffs, because I like baseball (that's weak sauce Carr)

Preference in winning the World Series:

1. Texas Rangers
2. Milwaukee Brewers
3. Detroit Tigers
4. Arizona Diamondbacks
5. St. Louis Cardinals
6. Philadelphia Phillies
7. Tampa Bay Rays

Getting dumped by my girlfriend

Getting laid off at work

8. New York Yankees

I do admit I wrote some of that without really thinking, however I guess I am just not that much of a baseball fan anymore. I am more of casual fan these days I haven't watched the playoffs the last two years and only watched some of the games in 2008. I admit there are other reasons, time, work, family, etc. And can't get into it like I use to. And this year I have work, trying to find a permanent job and a wedding to go to that is taking up most of my time. Since I can't follow it like I did years ago, I just don't bother to watch and only check out the scores. I am also tired of the whole Red Sox and Yankees hatred. People should realize there are more important things and not fight over such trivial things.

Jedieb
Oct 1st, 2011, 06:11:42 PM
I feeeeeeeeeeel your hate Court. Give in to it..... it makes you powerfuuuuuuulllll! :evil

And to make matters worse/better, the Sox and Francona have parted ways. From what I've heard, Tito wasn't fired, he had simply had enough. (And who could blame him?) So, in addition to another September humiliation, the Sox have also lost the GREATEST manager they've ever had. All kidding and haterade guzzling aside, Francona was an outstanding manager. It wasn't his fault that his entire staff forgot how to pitch and Papelbunny decided to blow as many saves in September as he had all year long. And how about that Lackey contract! (It's as bad as the money the Yanks are paying A.J. Burnett.) You guys are probably going to hire Bobby Valentine and I wouldn't be surprised if Theo leaves town for the Cubs job.

Good times for the Evil Empire, good times indeed... :duel

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:30:25 PM
I think it was time for Tito to leave. It sounds like he was being way too laxed with the players letting them get away with murder. Also Paplebon didn't pitch that bad. I think he was just used up in September. He pitched like 5 straight days towards the end. Valentine would be a great hirer right now. I thought about Ryan Sandberg who is probably going to be a great manager, but he is probably too young to really kick around the team.
As for the playoffs, I think its the Phillies, with their pitching staff and offense I don't see anybody beating them.

jjwr
Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:54:40 AM
Similar to when the Yanks ran poor Torre out of town. Maybe Torre will ditch his MLB position and come and join the sox so he can stick it to the Yanks.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:09:48 AM
Similar to when the Yanks ran poor Torre out of town. Maybe Torre will ditch his MLB position and come and join the sox so he can stick it to the Yanks.

LOL now that would be ironic. Not sure if he would leave his positing with MLB, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox ask him.

CMJ
Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:39:57 PM
Brewers and Phillies look like the best teams in the playoffs so far. I actually think Milwaukee could challenge Philadelphia.

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:25:48 PM
Whoever wins tonight probably wins the series. I just don't see the Yanks coming back from a loss tonight. Nova is a great young pitcher, but we've got no one else we can really count on. You've gotta pitch, you just can't keep slugging your way to a WS title.

CMJ
Oct 3rd, 2011, 07:01:50 PM
Rangers gutted out a tough win in Tampa to go up 2-1.

CMJ
Oct 3rd, 2011, 09:54:07 PM
Verlander seemed to will Detroit to the win, despite not really having his absolute best stuff tonight.

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2011, 03:15:38 PM
Rangers are the first team to advance. If Detroit pulls through the only 2 teams I plain DIDN'T want to win will be gone.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2011, 02:17:35 PM
You put 4 runs up against Verlander and you have your ace on the mound, you should win the game, the Yanks didn't. I thought we were done for sure. I had a glimmer of hope that AJ could pull out a miracle like he did against the Phillies in game 2, but it was a long shot. Well, thanks to Granderson's defense and some luck, the Yanks sent the series back to New York. I love Nova. He's been the Yanks's most consistent starter for months now. He pitched well in relief and won us game 1, I think the Yanks have a good shot at moving on to the ALCS. Thursday night should be a good game.

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2011, 03:24:10 PM
Very curious about the two NLDS match ups today. I actually like both home teams to force decisive Game 5's.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2011, 03:49:58 PM
So we have 3 winner-take-all games the net two days. Hoping the Tigers can win tonight.

The rangers must be be totally chilling right now with the other 6 teams all stressing out.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2011, 09:45:48 PM
Suck it Yankees.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2011, 04:44:58 AM
Got to love it that A-Rod was the one to choke. Striking out twice when it really counted.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2011, 12:10:26 PM
Here's hoping the Brewers can take game 5 at home today. I don't expect them to be able to beat the Phillies in the NLCS (I don't see them losing at home to St. Louis), but it would at least be nice for Milwaukee to win a playoff series for the first time since 1982.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2011, 07:05:18 PM
That was a great game Fig.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2011, 07:51:42 PM
That was a great game Fig.

Gotta love Nyger "Tony Plush" Morgan. ;)

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2011, 09:10:54 PM
What a pitcher's duel.

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2011, 10:24:37 AM
And the two teams with the best records in their leagues go down in the Division series. That Cardinals/Phillies game was a classic. Unbelievable. i was rooting for the Cards, but I didn't expect a 3 hit shutout by Carpenter. St. Louis can win this thing. La Russa has won like this before, he can get these guys through to the WS.

Some people are giving Girardi crap, but the fact is they went down in 5 and lost a 3-2 game. They outscored Detroit and their losses in the series were all close. But the lack of starting pitching did them in. A-Rod's performance throughout the series is probably a sign of things to come. His contract is going to go down as one of the worst ever. And the Yankees should have known better. When he opted out they should have let him walk. A-Rod and Boras conned them into the second ridiculous contract of his career. They embarrass Jeter and Posada, but give A-Rod dump trucks full of money. Alex rewards them with a steroid scandal and a bum hip. These next few years may not be pretty. A-Rod may eventually have to be bumped to 5th or 6th in the lineup and they'll be paying him $30M a year for it. Ughh.

Go Cards!

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2011, 11:43:12 AM
Go Rangers and Brewers!

(In a series without the Red Sox - my loyalties normally go to the team with the longest WS drought....Texas has the 3rd longest & Milwaukee has the 5th).

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2011, 11:18:26 PM
Quality Game 1. With the Rangers winning a Verlander start, you have to like their chances.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2011, 04:18:00 PM
Go Rangers and Brewers!

(In a series without the Red Sox - my loyalties normally go to the team with the longest WS drought....Texas has the 3rd longest & Milwaukee has the 5th).

I am with you, I would rather see a team who has never won win. Both of them are looking very good so far.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2011, 09:41:57 PM
Brewers have the offensive power of an AL team.

CMJ
Oct 10th, 2011, 06:55:33 PM
Fantastic game between the Rangers and Tigers. First walk off Grand Slam in postseason history!

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2011, 08:39:32 PM
Nelson Cruz is Mr. 11th inning.

CMJ
Oct 13th, 2011, 06:03:51 PM
Terrific ALCS this year, just terrific. I wish more people were watching it.

Liam Jinn
Oct 13th, 2011, 07:11:24 PM
I'm watching, but anytime I say anything about my teams in any sport, they start doing terrible.

With that being said, at least the Rangers get another home game...

CMJ
Oct 13th, 2011, 09:31:26 PM
Big time pitching from the Brewers tonight. The NLCS is shaping up to be a very good series.

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2011, 10:26:03 PM
Rangers look really, really good. The NL Champ is gonna have to pitch lights out like the Giants did last year.

CMJ
Oct 21st, 2011, 08:34:39 AM
Been an excellent Fall Classic so far. Two really well pitched & played games.

jjwr
Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:32:08 AM
And Pujols wakes up...If St. Louis wins this it will be pretty amazing considering what had to happen just for them to make the playoffs and then who they had to beat to get here.

If they do win is there any way Pujols leaves St. Louis? He will own that city, hard to imagine him going elsewhere.

CMJ
Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:14:56 PM
Derek Holland pitched a gem. Series tied at 2.

CMJ
Oct 24th, 2011, 09:43:47 PM
Another great game (really only Game 3 was a dud from a competitive stand point). Rangers go up 3-2 on the strength of Mike Napoli's 8th inning double. Amazing series he is having.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2011, 10:19:23 PM
I think this series is going 7. It has been a great series.

CMJ
Oct 26th, 2011, 11:00:04 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/not/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/thisispeggy.jpg

CMJ
Oct 27th, 2011, 10:50:10 PM
EPIC game. Just epic.

CMJ
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:03:42 PM
Kind of a shame the 7th game was a bit of a letdown. Still a great series. Congrats to the Cardinals.