PDA

View Full Version : Andy Whitfield, AKA Spartacus, Has Died

Rutabaga
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:48:22 PM
I could have resurrected the long Spartacus thread that we've all posted in over the last year or so, but I thought this news deserved its own thread.

My heart is broken into a million pieces. How terribly, terribly sad...Andy Whitfield did not survive his battle with lymphoma.

RIP, Andy, you will definitely be missed.... :cry :cry :cry

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/09/11/andy-whitfield-spartacus-star-dead-at-39/?mod=google_news_blog

Sanis Prent
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:53:45 PM
Bummer.

Guess Crassus and Pompey are crucifying him a few seasons early, then?

Aurelias Kazaar
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:58:54 PM
Oh man that sucks... I'm sorry to hear that

Serena Laran
Sep 11th, 2011, 10:00:07 PM
:( this is so very very sad. I assumed he was doing better from what little news there has been, but apparently that wasn't the case. :( My heart is broken too. :cry

Crusader
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:52:53 AM
Gratitude Andy Whitfield for an awesome first season of Spartacus.

You will be missed.

Crusader
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:25:19 AM
Bummer.

Guess Crassus and Pompey are crucifying him a few seasons early, then?

He has been already replaced by another acter for season 2. If you check out the new trailer for season 2 you can already get a glimpse of the new one.

The production team already stalled the show for one season and produced a prequel last year instead to give Andy time to revocer. When it became evident that he did not overcome his cancer they started recasting the role early in the shooting process of season 2.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Sep 12th, 2011, 05:21:02 PM
I know that I guess I was just trying to offer up a bit of gallows humor.

Selinica Miriya
Sep 12th, 2011, 05:27:05 PM
Mega saaaaaaad. :cry

(I have been using Andy for Evest Neel since before the cancer... :()

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 13th, 2011, 12:13:17 PM
I haven't seen any Spartacus yet, but I'd heard what was going on with him... how awful :(

Rutabaga
Sep 14th, 2011, 08:44:15 AM
You should take a look if you're so inclined. You have to have some patience with it, because it's a little scattered and almost kind of goofy for 4-5 episodes. Then it settles down into something really great. Andy was awesome in the role, he really became the passionate moral anchor for the show. You got the sense that you were watching someone who was destined to go on to great things after the show ended. I'm now really glad that I bought season 1, I'm definitely going to rewatch the whole season before season 2 starts.

Liam McIntyre has very, very big shoes to fill...we'll find out in January if he succeeds.