PDA

View Full Version : In Allies We Must Trust (Adia Issoris)

Elissa Varoq
Sep 4th, 2011, 08:32:23 PM
She was good at blending in. Her life demanded such talents for her to disappear into a crowd in an instant, but this situation required a new kind of subtlety. To be able to be seen by an unknown visitor but remain inconspicuous was challenging. Doable, but challenging none the less. She often had others speak on behalf for her because her safety was paramount, but with whom contact was initiated with, it was best to oversee this meeting herself - much to her Lieutenants vocal disagreement. Hell, she honestly didn't want to be here but certain negotiable relationships needed trust. For trust to be built, face to face conversations had to be done between both parties.

Ever since the business entity known as Obsidian Corporation had dipped its greedy fingers into the affairs of the agricultural planet of Fether, its once luscious lands had been spoiled by machinery. The land was raped of minerals, its field over populated by farming, livestock was bred in captivity, and were hamlets and small cities flourished - tall buildings grew and the blessed ground that Fetherians revered was covered in stone. The last five years had upset the balance of nature and if something was not done soon, Fether would become a wasteland in mere decades. Elissa Varoq of the underground resistance, Aira's Children, vowed since her father's murder to end this strife.

It had all started at a peaceful gathering. A protest against Obsidian encroaching upon their system. What exactly happened, no one was entirely sure, but someone opened fired on one of the armed guards of the Corporation and that was when the killings began. Elissa was only 14 but the rage at loosing her father gave her the drive to create Aira's Children and its only leader to date.

She was a proud young woman, but not infallible. Obsidian Corporation had technology and resources that her people were running out of. They stole as much as they could, bartered with nearby sympathetic systems like Sernpidal, but even their allies were growing thin. They feared the strong arm tactics of the Corporation, practically locking down the planet with tighter patrols and the orbital space station where they refined the materials pillage from the planet.

Due to her intelligence at keeping a low profile, she had yet to be captured on camera and no one the wiser. Only one person in the entire organization knew what she looked like and who she really was. When orders were given, she used a modulator to mask her voice and gave orders only over a secure comm but everyone knew her handiwork in the field. She was not merely the voice of the resistance, but Elissa actively participated in raids and setting up bombs. She was merely known as Fether's Daughter by the Corporation and had painted her a terrorist, listing the bombings and sabotages in the most unglamorous light, creating a false image of an uncaring citizen that just wanted to murder innocents. She laughed. Anyone associated with Obsidian Coporation was not innocent and would be showed no mercy.

That was what brought Elissa here, to Basalic City openly - formerly known as Fether Capital simply - now the second largest city on Fether. She could walk the streets freely of her planet because no one would question her presence. The Tacynyte Bistro was on the outskirts of the city, well known for its delicacy of imported sweets from Coruscant - quite the feat considering that Fether was in CSA space. It always gave Elissa pause and wondered how deeply rooted the Empire was within Obsidian Corporation. She lacked proof, but her gut screamed that it was truth.

This location was ideal because Aira's Children left this city mostly untouched. There were no real targets here that concerned Elissa, most of the mining operations were to the north and Obsidian City towards the east of here. Only convoys passing through infrequently might have piqured her interest, but it had been years. No one would presume anything was out of the ordinary and this far from the center of city meant less patrols.

The decor was middle class but elegant - no one was allowed in simple street clothes and had to dress business causal, just like most of the restaurants in this city. Black slacks and high heeled boots accompanied by a smooth fitting red silk blouse made Elissa look ordinary. Purse in hand, she was seated at the table she reserved and looked over the wine selections as she waited for her contact from the Alliance to appear. She had decided to swallow her pride and at least listen to what they had to offer since Elissa smelled Imperial involvement. With allies growing thin, she had to do what was right for her people and negotiate.

Adia Issoris
Sep 4th, 2011, 11:33:02 PM
Getting around CSA space was never hard for Adia. She knew from months of operations which sectors to transport through and which to avoid. She'd personally deposited more than one of the enemies of the Empire into Star's End, and all the trouble that entailed. Adia had been a heavy fist into the guts of whatever lay between the Empire and its resources, and sometimes that meant assassinations, beatings, or bribery. Often it was for one of the corporations, but occasionally it was for the native populous. Whatever the Empire required, for the Imperial War Machine must march on.

For the first time in many years, she was Adia returned to the CSA. Only now she worked for the Rebellion, and would be attempting to cripple Imperial operations. Most of Obsidian Corp.’s output went directly to Imperial Factories. When Aira's Children, Fether’s strongest and most successful resistance force, managed to get a call for help to the Rebellion, there was only so much that could be done. The Rebellion also had contacts within the CSA that diverted supplies away from the Empire. It was a delicate balance. Sending troops and supplies en-masse was not an option: sending a single woman with a pair of briefcases full of equipment and a head full of expertise was.

The blonde Anya Helwess’s identification was never challenged. She was linked to one of thousands of shell entities run by the Rebellion for spy and resource purposes. It was a legitimate front for the most illegal entity in the galaxy. After a week’s journey through space and CSA bureaucracy, Adia had finally reached Fether. Blessed with a business class window seat, she could see the fresh wounds on the land as the transport approached the planet. Brilliant bursts of green and blue were sullied by grey waste, all for short-term profit. Adia frowned.

There was only one place to land a normal transport: Obsidian City. The unimaginatively named city was the only place with full space port facilities. It was oppressive. Most buildings were grey and black, the company colors. A group of ten skyscrapers overshadowed the original buildings that came before. Small apartment blocks and office buildings had lost their luster, but had been once caringly built and maintained. The open air farmer’s market looked half-hearted and run down.

Adia picked up her checked luggage and waited for the next available transport to Basalic City. During the day and early evening, there was an airborne transport every hour. She checked her chrono against the flight schedule. There was plenty of time to get to her hotel and wash up. The suite had a kitchenette, a holonet link, a queen-sized bed and a delightful real-water shower. Hair up in a tight, professional bun, pinned by two long pieces of white painted steel, dressed in a charcoal grey suit and a white blouse, a black leather briefcase and a pair of black heels with a thick, metal reinforced stem, Adia looked every inch the corporate conqueror.
____
She squinted in the afternoon sunlight and tipped the cabby. Her contact was at The Tacynyte Bistro, an imported goods specialty restaurant that pre-dated Obsidian occupation. It was no worse for wear since the occupation. She located the contact, and asked for the wine list.
“I have some questions about a few local wines. Is the sommelier available?”

Elissa Varoq
Sep 5th, 2011, 09:37:55 AM
Elissa looked up at the request, hearing the words that indicated that this woman before her was the contact from the Alliance. She was not at all as she expected, but her understanding of the Rebellion was limited at best. That was going to change right now.

"Unfortunately he's indisposed," she explained, handing over the menu to the taller woman, "But perhaps I can offer some opinions until he is free?"

She had to say it perfectly so the representative's concerns could be alleviated in finding the proper contact. Even handing over the menu was part of the set up.

Adia Issoris
Sep 5th, 2011, 10:42:38 AM
"Absolutely. I've always found that business goes smoother with a dash of wine and a pleasant meal." Adia smiled gently.

"It's been a while since I was in CSA space, I see that not much has changed."

Elissa Varoq
Sep 5th, 2011, 11:31:07 AM
"Unfortunately," she said bitterly. "At least you're familiar with my corner of space. That alleviates some concerns."

Truthfully, Elissa wasn't sure how astute the Alliance was with CSA territorial information. Even if this woman's information was years old, it provided some comfort, even though this woman was as much of a stranger to her as anyone else from the Alliance.

"But only some," she said harshly. Elissa was a proud young woman and with the risks of even setting up this meeting, she wasn't going to act any differently then she would with her own people. "I presume you are familiar with the needs of CSA citizens in this sector of space?"

Adia Issoris
Sep 5th, 2011, 12:20:58 PM
"Not intimately, but my company is decently networked through the CSA. Not as well as the Core Worlds or Mid-Rim. But we can talk about the details of our business agreement later, unless your timetable is tight." Since they both had come all the way to this restaurant, she saw no pressing need to rush. Why not enjoy a glass of wine and a pleasant lunch?

Elissa Varoq
Sep 5th, 2011, 12:28:21 PM
Brown eyes spoke the protest that didn't come. No, Elissa was not on a timetable but she preferred business to be completed as quickly as possible.

"I'm not," she said evenly and waved over the waiter who eagerly had a stencel out against his datapad. "What shall you ladies be having?"

"A glass of the Grand Merliot," she said, indulging this once and buried her face in the menu to decide on what she wanted to eat.

Adia Issoris
Sep 5th, 2011, 12:56:03 PM
"I'll have one of the same." Adia had noted it was one of the local wines, and she always preferred to experiment with different vintages.

"At least they booked me business class. I once had to sit in an unpressurized box for a week with a re-breather and an oxygen tank." Elissa raised an eyebrow.

"I don't recommend it." Adia added. "Regardless. My employer's situation is not very flexible at the moment, but I have a broad expertise regarding your situation, and I'm available as a consultant for the foreseeable future."

Elissa Varoq
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:52:00 PM
Both eyes widened in both surprise and admiration. At least the Alliance was making genuine point by sending this operative that they appeared serious.

"So you're it?" she said, not hiding the disappointment in her voice. "My superior had expected a bit more. No disrespect to your obvious skills previously mentioned."

Adia Issoris
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:04:08 AM
Adia shrugged.

"None taken. I've got extensive experience in this field, and my company is short on resources. And I usually work alone. For the moment, I'm all that could be spared with the necessary experience. I'm sure you understand. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what I bring to the table." She added with a soft, knowing smile.

Elissa Varoq
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:12:29 AM
"Then I suggest retiring to my hotel room after this is over so we can go over what my superior expects. Considering the nature of assignment, we wouldn't want curious ears now would we?" The waitress brought back their glasses of wine and allowed the two women a few more minutes to select their meals.

Elissa looked over the menu casually but was honestly not pleased at all at this Alliance handout. She did not doubt Adia's experience or skill, but with what her organization was planning - well, let's say she was curious to how this operative would be able to assist her. That is if she was agreeable to what their leader was planning to begin with.

Adia Issoris
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:22:40 PM
The pair made casual small talk through the rest of the meal. Elissa was clearly disappointed with the fact that the Alliance had sent a singular person and not a team. Adia was not concerned. She had a long and diverse skillset. She was exceptionally well versed in Imperial procedures, and more than a passing familiarity with CSA space. Elissa and her compatriots could brief her further on the local structures and Adia would figure out the interface with the rest of the CSA and Empire from there. The biggest mystery was the composition of the insurgency, what resources it had, and how it operated. So far their security measures seemed thorough, so finding leaks wasn't a top priority.

There was a slim possibility that this was an Imperial honey pot, but they weren't following the general guidelines for a honey pot so far. When they stood, Adia towered over the girl. Adia followed Elissa to the hotel room. She remained aware of the holdout blaster and vibroknife hidden in her jacket, the regular blaster in her purse, and the placement of all potentially lethal objects in her path, exits, cover... it wasn't a conscious process. She knew here very young contact was slightly nervous, but not unexpectedly. Adia would be more worried if Elissa wasn't nervous.

Elissa Varoq
Jan 7th, 2012, 08:26:44 PM
Adia probably was well aware of Elissa's subtle way of interviewing. Every action that the Rebel Agent made, the young girl took note because despite of her age, she was well versed in the art of subterfuge. Walking in plain sight, yet affording your senses to take in every detail was a skill Elissa had been trained since joining the resistance. It was her specialty.

Licking her lips before opening the door to her room, the door slid opened and Elissa allowed Adia to enter first. The room was modest and functional, having a refrigeration unit on hand. It was just the step above the cheapest room that the hotel had available.

After the door closed, Elissa thumbed a small device, that was barely the size of her palm, out of her pocket and saw that the red flashing dot on it turned green.

"All right, we can talk freely," she said and tossed the device onto the nightstand before standing in the threshold of where the small walkway and bedroom merged. "Do you truly have the time to commit to this? Because we're possibly talking weeks, or possibly months, to pull off what we have in mind. If you do not, then I truly thank you for your time but we must end this conversation here."

Adia Issoris
Jan 15th, 2012, 11:24:58 AM
"I knew this would be a long term assignment." Adia said, and realized that she would be away from The Wheel a long while. The Jedi were fully capable of taking care of themselves, but Adia was the one with the most extensive, varied combat and espionage experience. There had been a recent sense of looming, distant dread. The small number of Force Sensitive children had become accustom to Adia's demanding physical drills. Adia would miss the giggles, and the questions only the mind of a child could generate.

The now was what was important. A planet's populace was being systematically forced into desperation by exploitation of resources.

"Can you give me an overview of the current situation?" She knew outlines, but it was best to hear it straight from the nerf's mouth.

Elissa Varoq
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:31:54 PM
"Obsidian Corporation has been claiming resource after resource - a supposed independently operated company working within the rules and regulations of the CSA, of course." She paused and Adia could easily hear the contempt oozing from Elissa's voice. "We learned early on that was merely a front but what was more disturbing was the rumors that the CSA and the Empire were working in conjunction through Obsidian. Unfortunately we've yet to confirm this but we have operatives attempting to uncover the truth."

So far nothing fruitful had been found and three lives had been lost, their covers compromised. Elissa had recalled most of her people and left two in the field who remained off world at present.

"Obsidian owns Fether, reaping its resources until bare. They have a paramilitary force which they use to defend their specific holdings - mines, mills, factories. The last few years their security has tightened due to our cause. The President of Obsidian Corporation on Fether calls the shots. After a long discussion amongst ourselves, we've come to the conclusion that eliminating him and his executives leaders would finally wake up the rest of Fether into action. It's why we called the Republic."

Throughout her entire explanation, Elissa spoke with precision and little emotion despite the churning of rage inside her. She wanted Obsidian to pay with their lives for all of the ones that they had taken from her people.

Adia Issoris
Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:28:47 PM
Adia smiled sadly. The young woman’s tale confirmed the outline she had received. It was textbook CSA sub-corporation.

“There is no Republic. We’re a rebellion, like you, just much larger. However, we can confirm Obsidian’s involvement with both the CSA and the Empire.”

Elissa’s words had been calm, but her eyes smoldered. Her plan, while it made sense in a military way, didn’t reflect the realities of how CSA sub corporations operated. It was also borne from revenge. Elissa wanted blood as much as she wanted to breathe. Adia let Elissa boil for a bit. Her hands twitched.

“Your plan is militarily sound, but it won’t work.” Adia stated cooly. Elissa frowned and her eyes burned.

“Because?” The girl asked, inner fury building.

“You’re fighting a corporation, not a military. Everyone on Obsidian’s board is there because they know someone, not because they know their jobs. They’re all easily replaceable. You want to make them run with their tail between their legs? You hit them in the pocket book. We need to commit acts of espionage, not assassination.”

Elissa Varoq
Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:44:03 PM
There was a barely audible growl with the confirmation that Obsidian and the Empire were working together. She always knew it but now with it being confirmed, the truth didn't taste any less bitter.

When Adia outright stated that her plan would fail, she felt slighted. This was the first time she was questioned about anything regarding the plans of the leadership. Her leadership, but Adia didn't know that. Yet on the other hand, isn't this what Elissa had asked for? She requested aid in taking out Obsidian Corp. and to drive them off her planet.

The logic behind Adia's explanation seemed to make sense but this was an unknown quantity for her. Corporations were meant to fall as any empire, why shouldn't it be the same.

Sighing, she didn't know what to think but the suggestion of espionage made her shake her head. "There are very few of us that can do that successfully. Most have died trying, but there are still a few undercover now. I'm the only one that is currently off assignment since I was tasked to speak with you."

Adia Issoris
Apr 7th, 2012, 06:27:26 PM
Adia was a little confused. Good corporate espionage was merely throwing a wrench in the orders, have power mains cut accidentally, missed shipments and not industrial accidents. Just good old systematic incompetence. Then the industrial accidents. They were the cherry on top.

"Right. Do you have a slicer?" Adia asked. A competent slicer would make everything much easier.

Elissa Varoq
Apr 7th, 2012, 08:06:28 PM
"We do," she said with a nod despite being puzzled herself by Adia's expression. Something that Elissa had said seemingly wasn't liked, but this woman was here to help - or so she kept telling herself.

"We're lucky to have Bren." Unlike her, Bren had lived in the more populated cities and took to computers like a farmer to his land. He was one of their best assets.

Adia Issoris
Apr 8th, 2012, 07:37:11 PM
Adia smiled.

"Excellent. How much access to their message system and documents does he have?" She asked, now much more hopeful.

"As far as I know, Bren has total access."

"You're so much closer to victory than you realized." Adia said, and Elissa brightened up a touch.

"We need to recruit carefully, but much more aggressively. I have enough funds to seed, but we'll have much more discretionary funds shortly after we have a small army of casual agents who don't like their job but are afraid of high-risk assignments. All we need after that is to generate large amounts of bad work orders and miscommunication. You'd be surprised how quickly equipment reallocation orders and fake meetings can start a river of red ink."

Elissa Varoq
Apr 10th, 2012, 01:02:24 PM
"So we're to bleed them dry figuratively?" Having subtle details worked into the system would cause chaos over time. Elissa was patient and practical. Nothing had to be done this instant, otherwise far more lives would have been lost because of her need for revenge. This planet was hers and felt passionately about that. She just wanted freedom for the people and to return to a normal life.

Though what normal would be after this is done, she had no idea. But that was a thought for another time.

"How long would this take place to set up?"

Adia Issoris
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:01:05 AM
Adia paused, in thought.

"It depends on how quickly we can recruit. Once we get several dozen people, this type of disinformation becomes much harder to trace. The more people the better. They don't even need to be loyal to our cause, just dissatisfied with their jobs." Elissa nodded. It would mitigate individual risk, and make it more difficult to trace the source.

"Targeting the go-betweens for interdepartmental communications is key. We need to find people who tie out with other parts of the company. Not the people who write the orders, but the people who send them off. We can rule out anyone who's above a supervisor position. It'll take several days of research, but once we find some good samples we can turn them over to your slicer, and he can generate a profile and pull more people who match it." Adia explained. Elissa was smart, and was quickly warming up to the idea of a non-combative solution. Still, almost everything hinged on Bren.

"In many cases, we don't even need to recruit them, but we need some so that not every message is false."

Elissa Varoq
Apr 12th, 2012, 03:23:58 PM
"We still have several undercover. Relaying new orders to go through personal files and some subtle inquiries should get us those numbers." Chuckling softly, she was relieved. "I'm glad that we won't have to recall them. All that time's not wasted now."

All those hours and lives, Elissa didn't even want to think of how demoralizing it would be to bring them home and have nothing to show. This would give them hope and the new change in orders won't be questioned.

"How do corporations react to this red ink that will be generating? I know this will cost them credits, a lot of credits, but I know them. Money is all they care about. As soon as there is even a remote chance that funds are being misplaced, regardless of how, they will investigate."

Adia Issoris
Apr 18th, 2012, 09:49:20 AM
Adia smiled wide.

"The beautiful thing about companies of this size is that they run on momentum. It will be months before any serious procedural changes are made. They'll have a lot of meetings about following procedure, but won't do anything else until they realize there is an outside element. Since we're not actively planting figures and merely using their own people, instead of their systems, it will be a while before they start to search for a slicer."

Aside from the occasional low-requirement recruit power lunch, Adia and Elissa spent the next month combing though reports and messages and falsifying them. Obsidian's red ink began to flow from everywhere. It was going to be death by paper cuts. Adia was never allowed to meet Bren, but given their written correspondence, he was a young man who had his family destroyed and was striking back the only way he knew how.

Adia had started to suspect more about Elissa. She wasn't getting sloppy, but she operated with such a degree of independence that Adia had a strong hunch that she was the leader. She was a girl, but she was leading a planetary resistance. Adia had seen such things before. Certain people, when left with a single purpose, were consumed by it. It was time to find out for certain.

Adia stood and stretched. She pushed her hands out over her head and arched her back. She rolled her neck, and touched her hands flat to the floor before standing up straight.

"Elissa, let's break for lunch." Adia said.

"I'm in the middle of this report." Elissa said. Her eyes did not leave the screen. She paused occasionally, interjecting a word or changing a number.

"It can wait." Adia stated.

"No, it's going to be presented in an hour." She looked up at the Rebel, exasperated. For Elissa, everything was about saving her people.

"And it's already based on falsified data. Let it go." Adia waited for the push back.

Elissa Varoq
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:29:53 AM
The month went rather smoothly and as promised, Obsidian was starting to drown in the falsified information that she and Adia provided - coupled with Bren's amazing knack for slicing. Things still felt like the were moving at an excruciating slow pace, but Elissa was patient. She had to be. She would always be as long as victory was a tangible outcome regardless of how far it may be in the future.

"And if there are any inconsistencies that happen to be noticed ..." she shook her head and continued scrolling through the document, "No. I wouldn't forgive myself if something so minor ended up pushing the execs in the right direction towards Bren."

Adia Issoris
Apr 30th, 2012, 11:08:37 AM
"Elissa." Adia put her hands on either side of the display, and loomed above it. It was a reminder of how physically intimidating Adia could be.

"You're editing a finished document. It's going to push them to look harder. Let it go." Adia insisted. Elissa affixed Adia with an angry glare.

"Information flows up." Adia reminded Elissa. Still frustrated, Elissa shook her head at the screen. Every move she made, she wanted to damage Obsidian.

"Right, it flows up up." Elissa said with a sigh, and reverted the document to it's author's original state. Unlike the economic theorem, disinformation planted at the base did work it's way gradually upward, corrupting everything above it. Obsidian's resources were being misaligned on a regular basis now, and productivity indicators were plummeting. There were some mid-level managers who were on the hot plate now. In another month, Obsidian would start firing the managers. When nothing changed, it would undergo radical structural reorganizations for it's Fether operations. There would be mass layoffs, followed by mass unemployed individuals. Obsidian was now Fether's largest employer.

Adia was ready.

Elissa put her bag over her shoulder. Adia didn't dare speak it aloud, so she had written it on a flimsy in lipstick. She would burn the flimsy before they left.

"You are the leader." Was all it said.

Elissa Varoq
May 4th, 2012, 10:34:23 AM
Adia towering over was intimidating, but Elissa was used to her more aggressive mannerisms in getting her point across over the last months. It basically meant that negotiations were over. Elissa was just as stubborn and there were several passionate arguments in the recent past that almost turned ugly, but both of them knew when to retract and approach. It was still some adjustment for the young woman to have some older and more experienced aiding Elissa. Allowing herself to be open to criticism and ideas she didn't take into account.

Stretching, she grabbed her pack and stood up but Adia was waiting for her, and looking expectantly. Confused, she took the flimsy and flipped it over.

You are the leader

Plain as day, her secret was staring back at her written in the color of a deep shade of red wine.

What point was there denying it? Adia was a spy. Observations, no matter how minute, had been picked on and dissected with the way the organization was ran. She was curious as to what was the trigger that made up Adia's mind, but this was not a secure location. Plus, it sounded rather bratty and utterly immature to deny the truth. Working this alone, perhaps it was time to trust someone. Maybe.

"Where did you want to go for lunch?" she asked, handing the flimsy back.

Adia Issoris
May 4th, 2012, 12:18:39 PM
Adia removed a lighter from her purse and lit the flimsy on fire. She folded it, and held it until the flames licked her fingers. She let it go, and it drifted into scattered ash on the floor. Adia never took undue risks.

"Castrana's?" Castrana's was a small bistro about a kilometer away with a long, proud tradition of over 300 years of family service. While summer had come to Fether, today had a warm breeze that made the heat much more bearable.

Castrana's also had quiet booths that Adia had swept over for bugs and acoustic pipes. They weren't regulars, exactly. Adia and Elissa ate in more often than not. About once or twice a month they made a trip to Castrana's.

They took Adia's speeder, and looked every inch a pair of professionals going out for a Friday lunch. They were seated in one of the many quiet booths, and the establishment was past their lunch rush.

"We need to discuss your investment portfolio."

Elissa gave her a hard look. She understood.

"Some of those investments are going to have consequences. People are going to start losing their jobs soon. Thousands of people. I wanted you to know that."