PDA

View Full Version : US Bill S.978

Peter McCoy
Aug 14th, 2011, 10:25:34 AM
Hello fellow game lovers. Some of you may already be aware of this but for those who aren't, please read on.

S.978 is a bill currently being examined by congress and looking to be passed and made law some time in the future. What this bill is intended to do is make it illegal to stream copywritten material. This is essentially in responce to all of the video and audio streams of copywritten songs and movies and tv shows on streaming sites such as Youtube. This is completely understandable since the creators of such works deserve to be payed - uploading episodes of Game of Thrones is piracy so streaming it is targetted by this bill. Uploading a music album by Cee Lo Green is piracy so streaming it will be targetted by this bill. But under its current wording this bill will not only give copyright holders more protection against such forms of piracy, but it will also unnecessarily hurt a very large online community. In its current form this bill will render the uploading of videogame "Lets Play" videos a felony. So things like my very own Minecraft and Fallout: New Vegas episodes would break this law. Well not mine specifically since this is a US bill - or maybe it will since Youtube would be forced to remove the footage.

This is ridiculous as I am sure you will agree. The bill recognises that the uploading and streaming of movies, TV shiws and songs is causing loss of earnings for the copyright holders. But what the bill does not recognise is that footage such as my own Lets Play episodes encourage videogame sales and actually help generate revenue for the copyright holders.

I would not have bought Minecraft or Magicka or Terraria were it not for Youtubers X and Tobuscus. I hadn't even considered L.A Noire until I watched Tobuscus playing it and when it gets released on PC I will be buying it. The videogames industry should be very thankful for this online Lets Play gaming community. And I am certain they are. Tobuscus had a press pass to E3 and he uploaded a tonne of footage to get people excited about the upcoming games over the next year. This bill needs to be reworded before it is passed otherwise these communities will cease to exist and the internet will become a much more boring place.

Lets broaden things. As this bill is currently worded, if it is passed it sill make it a felony to stand in front of the camera with a hairbrush and give your own performance of Lady GaGa's Born This Way. Such a video will not cause loss of revenue for the copyright holders because anybody watching it will not think to themselves "Oh I don't need to buy the album/single because Peters got a video of himself doing it" - but again, the way the bill is worded will result in such absurdity.

When you buy a game you are purchasing a license to play that game and experience it. You are not purchasing a license to access and distribute the coding - that is what is protected by the copyright. So if I put the game coding on my screen and stream it, that is piracy. Streaming footage of me exploring and building in Minecraft is not piracy since I have purchased a license to play it and I am not violating that license or infringing on the copyright by doing so. But the bill does not go into such detail and the current wording needs amending. "Public performance of copywritten material via electronic means" is the wording, so yes episodes of The Walking Dead would rightly be targetted. But my playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas is not a copywritten material, it is a transfirmed work by me playing it and commentating on it. And it certainly won't result in people not buying the game since watching someone elses playthrough is no substitute for playing and enjoying it yourself.

Links:
Bill S.978 Official (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-978)
Sign the petition! (http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_strikes?akid=700.450896.5hVZPC&rd=1&t=1)

Aidan Fox
Aug 14th, 2011, 11:15:22 AM
Sounds like classic over-regulation. Distributing copyrighted material over streaming media without a license is already prohibited by existing US copyright rules, but the onus is on the copyright holder to identify infringements and protect their own assets. Some companies aggressively target YouTube videos of their works - heck, the NFL tries to shut down fan videos of games taken from the stands. Other companies take a more laidback approach. Don't do anything stupid, like try to set up a subscription service, and they probably won't bother you.

This sort of legislation takes it out of individual companies' hands and makes it quite literally a federal case. Losing Let's Play videos would just be a symptom of a broader problem. There are already regulations to address the issue - why not try enforcing those instead of introducing new legislation?

That was rhetorical, of course. Bureaucracies can't compute that question.

Vansen Tyree
Aug 14th, 2011, 11:40:33 AM
I'd be less worried about the Lets Play videos; as Andrew points out, the onus is on the copyright holder to seek prosecution, so if the games developers are greatful for the extra exposure, they are under no obligation to press charges. It wouldn't be the first time that a law is regularly broken but seldom prosecuted: the 2006 Company's Act is so poorly understood that the average company winds up unknowingly breaking it six times a day. (trivia curtosy of QI!)

I'm more concerned about the you singing Lady GaGa with a hairbrush side of things. There are a whole lot of musicians who have used covers on youtube to build a platform of fans from which to launch their music. Boyce Avenue and Kina Grannis have toured internationally (with mostly original music) off the back of their cover versions, and Megan & Liz managed to get enough notice from their cover versions that the Plain White T's actually performed the cover with them.

Provided that no one starts wielding the law like a club, the current phrasing should work out fine. The danger is that bigger corporations (rather than the small, cuddly producers and developers) will start swinging their manhood around, trying to justify the ridiculous salaries they pay their legal teams... then things could get messy.

Judas Voss
Aug 14th, 2011, 03:49:42 PM
I really do not think most companies would pursue this, or even know of it's availability, on the stance that they really do not have anything to gain from taking a shat on Joe Schmoe. Like Vansen pointed out, it will cost them quite a legal fee just to pursue it against one person, much less the ENTIRE internet. It would be a herculean task and sounds quite expensive. They would likely waste more money than they would ever gain. So unless they have a real reason to shut someone down (such as posting vidoes on YouTube showing you how to hack, crack, or otherwise abuse programs in ways unintended) I do not see it being very practical for the company.

It will definitely change the face of the internet should it pass.

Darth Turbogeek
Aug 14th, 2011, 05:44:33 PM
Lets broaden things. As this bill is currently worded, if it is passed it sill make it a felony to stand in front of the camera with a hairbrush and give your own performance of Lady GaGa's Born This Way. Such a video will not cause loss of revenue for the copyright holders because anybody watching it will not think to themselves "Oh I don't need to buy the album/single because Peters got a video of himself doing it" - but again, the way the bill is worded will result in such absurdity.

I do have more than passing knowledge of copyright law and I can assure you that in fact a public performance like you describe IS a violoation of copyright law already. You actually do not have the right to make a copy of said works. You in fact have no right to copy a single thing I now say if I do not wish for you to. Literally the only entity with permission to do that is the owner of this service.

So things like my very own Minecraft and Fallout: New Vegas episodes would break this law

No it wont, as long as you specifically give Youtube a licence to copy your video.

It will definitely change the face of the internet should it pass.

No it wont, all sorts of stupid shit are bought up at committee stages and die at committee stages and in fatc the wording of the bill is just making clear a lot of what is reality of copyright law right now

But my playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas is not a copywritten material

Wrong. You are using someone else's work and they DO have the right to tell you to fuck off, unless you meet the terms of one of four tests. You are not creating a derived work that is substansially different from the original - adding your own commentary is NOT dervivative enough.

Minecraft on the other hand is substansially different as you are displaying your own work - Minecraft is thought of like Lego, while copying the bricks and designs is illegal, creating an entirely new work with the bricks is 100% yours. The work thence do in Minecraft, that is 100% yours to do as you wish.

Even a parody is not necessarily exempt under copyright and journalism definatly isnt, even when you apply a "public need to know" defence.

The bill now I think of it is a clarification to already existing rights a copyright owner has

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_copyright_law

And yes, I am not being hyperbolic when saying this post is not allowed to be copied. Copyright Law actually DOES give me that right to demand that. It appears retarded, but that's the kind of strength copyright law actually has. In computer world, this is why the GPL has never been truly challenged in court and never failed any test - you are absolutly within your rights to licence how a work is copied and given how well understood copyright actually is, the GPL is a perfect example of how copyright actually works.

Inyos Aamoran
Aug 14th, 2011, 07:35:02 PM
So things like my very own Minecraft and Fallout: New Vegas episodes would break this law
No it wont, as long as you specifically give Youtube a licence to copy your video.

But my playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas is not a copywritten material
Wrong. You are using someone else's work and they DO have the right to tell you to fuck off, unless you meet the terms of one of four tests. You are not creating a derived work that is substansially different from the original - adding your own commentary is NOT dervivative enough.

Your responses contradict each other. How can his Minecraft / Fallout episodes not break the law, and yet the producers "have the right to tell you to fuck off"?

Surely, whether he gives Youtube licence to copy his video is irrelevant, since the Minecraft / Fallout component itself is breaking the law?

Tear
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:02:01 PM
Surely, whether he gives Youtube licence to copy his video is irrelevant, since the Minecraft / Fallout component itself is breaking the law?

This. Just because someone creates their own works in minecraft doesn't give them rights to it. It's still using someone else's game engine. Which is not their property.

Right now most EULA's (the little contract no one reads but everyone has to accept before you can play) basically states redistribution in any form is illegal. Regardless of the fact it may be educational or non-profit it is still breaking the user agreement.

What most developers are saying is that they will make adjustments to their EULA's to allow people to continue to post and upload videos of their games. Which will allow media platforms like youtube to continue to host them without being liable.

What restrictions will there be? Will all studios do this? Those are the big questions.