PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Atreyu
Jul 20th, 2011, 06:05:45 PM
Haven't been following the production for this much, however the teaser has now been uploaded to YouTube (though Sony has been trying to shut it down wherever it pops up). Here's one I could find:

<object height="390" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJQS16dGk0w?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="390" width="640"></object>

Quite frankly I'm pretty 'meh' on the whole thing - Spider-Man just never really interested me as far as superheroes go, and it feels too soon after the Raimi/Maguire films. :\

Figrin D'an
Jul 20th, 2011, 07:51:35 PM
Completely unimpressed.

Next.

Tear
Jul 20th, 2011, 11:01:08 PM
Will watch it purely for Emma Stone. Oompha. That woman.

Darth Turbogeek
Jul 21st, 2011, 12:29:59 AM
Going for the obvious Batman Begins style reboot. Spiderman sucks anyway so dont give a shit.

Yog
Jul 21st, 2011, 04:44:51 AM
What was so wrong with the Raimi / Maguire films that they feel the need to reboot the franchise already? This is pure greed, and makes absolutely no sense.

It's as if someone was going to make a rebooted version of LOTR, or Harry Potter. Absolutely absurd.

Atreyu
Jul 21st, 2011, 05:57:57 AM
What was so wrong with the Raimi / Maguire films that they feel the need to reboot the franchise already?
Long story short - Sony and Raimi couldn't come to an agreement over Spider-Man 4 so Raimi walked, and Maguire stated he wouldn't work with anyone but Raimi. So it was either a case of continuing on the series minus the main driving force and leading actor, or just restart from scratch. I guess Sony figured it was easier to do that latter. :\

Oh, and if they didn't do another film by X date (can't remember exactly how long they had) the rights to the film series would revert back to Marvel, so Sony had to act quickly to keep their cash cow. |I

Rutabaga
Jul 21st, 2011, 06:44:57 AM
Couldn't care less. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 21st, 2011, 09:29:24 AM
What was so wrong with the Raimi / Maguire films that they feel the need to reboot the franchise already?
Long story short - Sony and Raimi couldn't come to an agreement over Spider-Man 4 so Raimi walked, and Maguire stated he wouldn't work with anyone but Raimi. So it was either a case of continuing on the series minus the main driving force and leading actor, or just restart from scratch. I guess Sony figured it was easier to do that latter. :\

Oh, and if they didn't do another film by X date (can't remember exactly how long they had) the rights to the film series would revert back to Marvel, so Sony had to act quickly to keep their cash cow. |I

Pretty much sums it up. It was either do this or Marvel would get back the rights. It looks decent and seems to focus more on when he first got his powers. I do like they are going to examine what happened to his parents. The other films ignored that important aspect of his past.

Tear
Jul 21st, 2011, 09:36:42 AM
Really sucks Marvel didn't get the franchise back. I would have liked to see what they would do with it. Plus we might have got spider-man on the avengers.

Darth Turbogeek
Jul 21st, 2011, 03:57:52 PM

Why do people even give a shit about Spider-Man? He's a whiny emo prick who has become frankly a template for all that is wrong with superhero and the media they are in.

Jedieb
Jul 21st, 2011, 09:54:10 PM
One of the reasons I loved Spiderman as a kid was that he was funny. Before there was Deadpool, there was Spidey beating thugs down and ragging on them while he was doing it. As good as the first 2 Raimi flicks were, they never really got that part of the character down. Spiderman comics use to make me laugh out loud as I read them. Peter actually had a sense of humor when he put that mask on.

This reboot is just completely unnecessary. You need to start over? Fine, just get a whole new cast and get on with it. There are still a ton of villains to choose from. And I don't like the kid they've cast as Peter. Gwen looks perfect, but I hope this kid surprises me.

Peter McCoy
Jul 22nd, 2011, 06:22:01 AM
Technically if the rights reverted back to Marvel, that'd be Disney's The "I May Sing" Spider-Man

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2011, 02:28:53 PM
One of the reasons I loved Spiderman as a kid was that he was funny. Before there was Deadpool, there was Spidey beating thugs down and ragging on them while he was doing it. As good as the first 2 Raimi flicks were, they never really got that part of the character down. Spiderman comics use to make me laugh out loud as I read them. Peter actually had a sense of humor when he put that mask on.

This reboot is just completely unnecessary. You need to start over? Fine, just get a whole new cast and get on with it. There are still a ton of villains to choose from. And I don't like the kid they've cast as Peter. Gwen looks perfect, but I hope this kid surprises me.

Yeah I kinda of wish they had skipped the origin and just showed him as Spiderman like Batman 89.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 29th, 2011, 04:23:34 PM

I love Spider-Man. ^ Largely because of this. It's a shame that the Spidey movies don't seem to be able to grasp that this is a big part of what makes the character so great. That, plus him as a young kid trying to balance crime-fighting, highschool, a job and making ends meet for Aunt May. He's just much more sympathetic to me than Superman or Batman have ever been.

Pity that this movie looks like it's going to fail to grasp what makes him a great character.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 30th, 2011, 06:31:32 PM
Whoever did the trailer played a bit of Mirror's Edge.

Mu Satach
Jul 31st, 2011, 02:33:35 AM
Yeah I kinda of wish they had skipped the origin and just showed him as Spiderman like Batman 89.

wordness

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 31st, 2011, 03:48:45 AM
Whoever did the trailer played a bit of Mirror's Edge.

Just a little huh :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 11th, 2011, 10:50:55 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2z6ugz5.jpg

The untold story.. of what? Everyone know Spidey's origins o_O

Atreyu
Dec 13th, 2011, 05:36:24 AM
I daresay it's referencing more the idea of Peter's high school days, which is the angle they seem to be approaching the 'origin story' this time around.

Still completely disinterested in seeing this. Given the performance of the some of the more recent Marvel titles I'd be surprised to see this pass $200M - I don't know a single person that's looking forward to it.

Tear
Feb 7th, 2012, 07:11:02 PM
Been out for a couple days now:
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X46IidjdYKA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X46IidjdYKA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Captain Untouchable
Feb 8th, 2012, 02:17:39 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer.

Based on that and some of what I've read recently, it seems like they're injecting much more of the playful sarcastic banter into the character, which is much more what I would expect from a Spiderman movie. Garfield is apparently capable of playing a teenager with emotions without transforming into Anakin Skywalker or Edward Cullen... and since he used to be a gymnast, he's apparently doing a lot more of the in-costume stuff than you might expect; and Spiderman in general is going to be a bit more dynamic and mobile than in previous movies.

Atreyu
Feb 8th, 2012, 04:49:34 AM
I confess, that was a pretty decent trailer - probably the best one they've put out.

But I still can't get excited for this film. Sorry, just not into Spider-man. :\

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 8th, 2012, 11:54:23 AM
I was initially skeptical about this movie... I actually really like that new trailer.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2012, 02:51:06 PM
I think it is a very good trailer and am looking forward to it now. I like it that we get the mechanical webshooters. I never liked the organic ones of the other films. I also like the comical wit of Spiderman which was lacking for the most part in the previous three films. It is also cool we get to learn more about his parents and I bet this will lead to some revelation about Norman Osborn.

Tear
May 3rd, 2012, 06:07:42 PM
Thwip, Thwip!
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xjVgZwZ2h-I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xjVgZwZ2h-I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Rutabaga
May 4th, 2012, 03:29:02 PM
I saw the new trailer ahead of The Avengers today, and although it looks slick, I still can't muster a lot of enthusiasm for it. It may be that I personally am just not ready for or interested in another Spider-Man movie. Time will tell.

Jedi Master Carr
May 4th, 2012, 03:52:50 PM
The trailer looks very cool and I love the Lizard. I will probably see it when it comes out.

Zeke
May 4th, 2012, 09:06:29 PM
I am so psyched for this. Saw the trailer ahead of The Avengers and it looks to have all that Raimi's movies lacked (He's quipping! YES!) and looks to have many of the good qualities Raimi's films achieved. July 3rd can't get here fast enough.

Atreyu
May 5th, 2012, 03:44:38 AM
Insert usual "not a Spidey fan and not really interested in catching this" comment as per all my other posts.

But I have to give this trailer it's due - it's pretty damn good. In particular I like how they're demonstrating the wisecracking side of Spider-man (the knife scene) and the Gwen Stacy relationship which show an important point of difference from the Raimi/Maguire films (which I think is sorely needed for this version to succeed well). :) And it looks pretty awesome visually as well. Thumbs up.

Dasquian Belargic
May 5th, 2012, 10:09:00 AM
Love the new trailer, and got to echo the squees over Peter finally getting some decent quips!

Atreyu
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:54:37 AM
This Marvel/DC video made me LOL. :lol

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-Mw8PSw2cE?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-Mw8PSw2cE?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Poor Spider-man. :o

Rutabaga
Jun 17th, 2012, 05:10:45 PM
I have a confession to make. The more I see the ads for this movie, the more it's winning me over.

:D

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 3rd, 2012, 09:14:58 PM
Just got back from watching it in 3D with some family from out of town and the father-person.

I am still not a fan of 3D as it did nothing to enhance the movie and actually distracted from certain scenes. Other than that, it was actually not that bad of a movie - and this is coming from someone who was not interested at all in this remake saying "too soon!" all too often. Entertainment value was decently higher than expected, witty quips are well written and decently delivered. Felt a lot darker than the original Spidey movie that came out... what 10ish years ago?

That being said, I would not recommend it in 3D. And I might even hold off until DVD rental.

Mu Satach
Jul 5th, 2012, 11:01:57 AM
"lowered expectations...."

Halajiin Rabeak
Jul 5th, 2012, 02:08:41 PM
As cool as I hear this new version is, and as much as I was hoping to see The Lizard, I think this movie might be just plain too late. I liked Spider-Man 1 and 2, and I'm not ready for a new version of Peter Parker, yet.

What I really could have gone for, though, was Spider-Man India. I would have loved to see that done up well!

Korax
Jul 5th, 2012, 02:29:44 PM
I loved it. *is a huge spidey fan* I thought it was great, maybe that's just me? Everything about this Spidey movie just felt right. The previous trilogy was an entity in and of itself, never really felt like a part of the Marvel Universe. This movie feels like I'm watching a spidey comic or story arch. Dunno how else to explain it. I walked out happy!

PS - Best Stan Lee cameo yet? I think so.

Darth Turbogeek
Jul 6th, 2012, 03:39:25 AM
This is a movie without a point. It's inane, goes nowhere, doesn't bring anything new to the table that the 2002 Spider-Man and frankly Marvel and Nolan have completely re-invented superhero movies to a new level that frankly this boring movie doesn't get close to. It's not even close to the 2002 version.

Do yourself a favor, skip this and see Ted. Ted does die in the last 1/3rd but the first 1/3rd to 1/2 is an utter riot of absolute "Oh My LORD they didnt do that did they?!?!" that makes the money well spent. And you get the satisfaction of seeing something with some glimses of originality.

Crusader
Jul 6th, 2012, 04:03:18 AM
Hey DT why do you spoil Ted in a thread that has got nothing to do with this movie. Please put it in spoiler tags.

Darth Turbogeek
Jul 6th, 2012, 04:46:58 AM
Hey DT why do you spoil Ted in a thread that has got nothing to do with this movie. Please put it in spoiler tags.

What exactly did I spoil, pray tell? It's nothing beyond what you would see in an average non spoiler movie review. And frankly Ted is worth the money, unlike Spider Man so do yourselves a favor.

Droo
Jul 6th, 2012, 05:06:45 AM
I think he took your meaning of Ted dying literally.

Crusader
Jul 6th, 2012, 06:15:46 AM
Yes I did. Sorry for the missunderstanding here that idiom got lost in translation.

Korax
Jul 6th, 2012, 12:52:59 PM
I dunno, Ted just felt like a really long family guy episode. I'm usually done with those about ten minutes in.

Zeke
Jul 6th, 2012, 05:59:58 PM
BAHAHAHA.

This movie blew the entire Raimi trilogy outta the water in its first 30 minutes. Perfect set-up on Spidey and the Stacys, Uncle Ben's death was moving, But not as much as Flash showing Peter sympathy in the next scene, after being Peter's antagonist for first half, and the plot hook for the next one has me going out of my mind in anticipation.

Mark wants to say it was unoriginal? I disagree. An adaptation is always going to use familiar elements from its source material, and this one used them extremely well to tell a great new story. But, for what it's worth: The fight scene in the school looks a lot like a motion picture version of the one that happened between Spidey and Green Goblin in the first arc of Ultimate Spider-Man. The two zeroes are from there, too; they mark the spider that bites Peter and gives him his powers in that continuity. The talk of Osborn dying and needing the formula to survive is entirely new, but also looks a little like that arc. While we're at it, Peter using his dad's old notes and tools to make webbing comes from Ultimate as well.

The story on his costume has always been that it was a unitard with a silk-screened image of a spider and webbing, and for the most part, this version's suit looked conceivably like a high school kid coulda made it on his own. The deaths of Richard and Mary have consistently been a mysterious plane crash, and Gwen Stacy is, in all but one instance, Peter's first and truest love.

Going to cut off here to give some more of the membership time to see it and chip in, and to prevent an enormous block of gray spoiler bar. Going to see this again with my girlfriend and family for sure.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 10th, 2012, 11:40:12 AM
Loved it. LOVED IT. I would go again. (I only paid £3.50 for the ticket as well, absolutely worth it!)

Maybe I am just too emotional lately but there were numerous times I was on the verge of crying during this film.

Mu Satach
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:02:42 PM
I genuinely liked it AND I wasn't expecting to. Had some very gorgeous shots that felt like they were right out of a graphic novel.

However, I miss Aunt May. There was just something amazingly endearing about Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris.

Yog
Jul 14th, 2012, 03:50:44 PM
Despite my reservations, I decided to watch it after all. Did we need this reboot? No. But I found it entertaining.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 14th, 2012, 04:45:41 PM
I really enjoyed the movie - the most unbelievable thing about it is that Andrew Garfield is British, and 28.

Captain Untouchable
Jul 14th, 2012, 06:51:15 PM
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to.

I really liked the way they approached most of the characters. With Peter, skater boy > parkour montage was believable, and they worked in his sass really nicely. They made Uncle Ben seem suitably wise, and they managed to avoid saying the line. I really liked Gwen's father too: the "I think you're crazy, but I'm going to check out your story just in case" was a really nice touch.

The movie seemed to be teasing me with narrowly avoided cliches. I had to really fight against the urge to yell Just tell her that you made a promise! at the end; I was very happy to see that Gwen was smart enough to work it out for herself.

I wasn't a fan of the Lizard CGI (I didn't like the face), but I thought the web shooters were done really well. I liked that Spiderman did more than just swing on his webs and use them to pull stuff - it was a lot closer to what the cartoons have taught me to expect from Spidey. And speaking of webs - was I the only one who got choked up by the bit with the cranes? :cry

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2012, 06:24:13 AM
^ Nope, I had multiple teary-eyed moments including the scene with the cranes.

I'm with you on not liking the Lizard CGI, but I think it could have been worse. I've actually been thinking about going to see this again, since I enjoyed it so much.

Jedieb
Jul 21st, 2012, 04:23:42 PM
I enjoyed the reboot. I actually think the best thing it had going for it was that massive turd that Spiderman 3 had left behind. But I don't think it was as good as Raimi's first 2 efforts. I really didn't like this version of Uncle Ben's death. I particularly didn't like that they reworked Uncle Ben's dialogue. I need to hear that famous line. It's defines the character and is at the heart of what Spiderman is all about.

I did enjoy Garfield as Spidey and I like that they went closer to the comics by having Gwen be his first love interest. I hope they have the guts to kill her off somewhere down the line.

Zeke
Jul 21st, 2012, 07:48:05 PM
Actually, the line "With great power comes--great responsibility!" wasn't said by Uncle Ben in Amazing Fantasy #15, it was the text that served as narration.[/nerd] But it IS an iconic line and I'd have taken it paraphrased outta Peter or even George Stacy during the dinner scene.

Zeke
Aug 5th, 2012, 11:56:15 PM
Sorry to double post, but I wanted to comment on one last thing. I got to see the comic where the Lizard first debuted over the weekend, and guess what? He had no snout! Yes, in his first appearance, he looked exactly as he was portrayed in this movie, so huge bonus points to Mr. Webb for catching that detail and tossing it in there. So no more crying about the Lizard's face, okay kids? :D

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 28th, 2012, 12:56:34 PM
A sequel?! Who woulda guessed http://nerdreactor.com/2012/09/28/andrew-garfield-and-director-marc-webb-confirmed-for-amazing-spider-man-sequel/

Banner Laverick
Sep 28th, 2012, 09:25:42 PM
I'm hella excited, even though I cried through most of the movie when I watched it >_>; Glad they got the same director, too.

Atreyu
Sep 29th, 2012, 01:20:24 AM
No surprise on the sequel - it would have needed to have bombed right out for them to pass on continuing the new series.

I managed to catch Amazing Spider-man the other week. I'm not a fan of the character, but I'll admit I enjoyed it more than any of the Raimi films (which despite being visually impressive more-or-less left me cold - even SM2). I got a fair bit of a Batman Begins vibe coming from it which is a good thing IMHO, and I'm actually looking forward to the next one. :)

Captain Untouchable
Sep 29th, 2012, 05:50:04 AM
I'm worried about how long it will take before they start recycling villains from the Raimi trilogy. Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and Venom are some of the major players.

Part of the theme of Amazing Spiderman was the fact that Peter was partially responsible for the creation of the villain. That's a theme that showed up a lot during the cartoon from the nineties. It would be interesting to see Scorpion - a petty crook and reluctant participant in an attempt to recreate Spiderman's powers - recreated, perhaps with Norman Osborn being the one responsible for pulling the strings. In fact, Osborn was behind quite a lot of stuff in that cartoon series, often working for the Kingpin - in particular, he created the technology for the Hobgoblin before eventually becoming the Green Goblin himself.

If they do decide that Octavius needs to be in the movies imminently, I hope they take some inspiration from the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon. In that, Osborn is again the mastermind behind a lot of what is going on; and Octavius is (to begin with at least) his science bitch, lurking in a little cave while he studies Spiderman from afar. It could be cool to use that motif to introduce "lesser" villains, only to eventually have Doctor Octopus appear as the leader of the "Sinister Six" a few movies down the line.

Rutabaga
Dec 22nd, 2012, 05:02:55 PM
I finally saw the movie today, and although I found it to be a little slow, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do in the sequel. And I'm not surprised that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have become a couple in real life...they had boatloads of chemistry in the movie.

Oh, and btw...Andrew Garfield is without a doubt a MUCH better crier than Tobey Maguire. :p