PDA

View Full Version : HBO greenlights 6 seasons based on American Gods

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 14th, 2011, 02:18:44 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-hanks-playtone-productions-announces-197012

Tom Hanks’ Playtone Productions is set to produce an open-ended series, American Gods, for HBO, based on Neil Gaiman’s award-winning novel, while the company’s next project, Major Matt Mason, is in talks with Robert Zemeckis to direct in 3D, Playtone partner Gary Goetzman told The Hollywood Reporter.

The series-in-development, revolving around the question “are you a god if no one believes in you?” is executive produced by Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.

Now slated for six seasons, each season will be of 10-12, hour-long episodes with a budget of around $35-40 million per season, targeted to debut on the cable powerhouse in 2013 at the earliest.

Rich in religious folklore that spanned millennia and featuring deities from Greek and Nordic mythology, and even the Judeo-Christian monotheistic God making an appearance, in the contemporary U.S., American Gods will be effects-heavy to do justice to the awe-inspiring power of the divine beings. “There are some crazy things in there. We’ll probably be doing more effects in there than it’s been done on a television series,” said Goetzman.

They've already ordered 6 seasons?! That seems incredible. Start your fantasy cast lists now!

Shadow = Vin Diesel ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 14th, 2011, 02:23:27 PM
Wow! HBO is making all the right decisions lately.

But... it's going to be in 3D?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 14th, 2011, 02:27:11 PM
No, the article goes on to talk about Tom Hanks' next project, a 3D movie titled Major Matt Mason.

edit: Also the six season will not all be based on the one book - I believe Neil Gaiman is writing the second book right now, or will be shortly, and there is always Anansi Boys set in the same universe (I think).

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 14th, 2011, 02:31:02 PM
ohhhh I misread that ^_^;

Anansi Boys has a very similar feel to it yeah so I could see that working!

Atreyu
Jun 14th, 2011, 07:02:22 PM
Increasingly it seems that television is the place to go for good, interesting entertainment that has some depth. Obviously it's always had that ability but now technology has finally brought us to the point where you can make a TV series with a Hollywood budget, actually make money from it, and above all make it look fantastic. :)