PDA

View Full Version : Super 8

Rutabaga
Jun 12th, 2011, 03:10:41 PM
I just did a search through this forum to see if we already had a thread going on Super 8, and I couldn't seem to find one. I was a little surprised, since this movie had built buzz ever since the teaser trailer hit theaters last summer.

So I guess it's up to me to start the thread!

I've been waiting for this movie since I saw that teaser trailer and saw the pedigree attached to the movie...exec produced by Steven Spielberg and written and directed by JJ Abrams. That was enough to get me interested and excited. So I saw it today, and overall it was well worth the year-long wait. Great cast of mostly unknowns, heartfelt moments mixed in with the action and scares, great special effects and sound, just all around good stuff. In a lot of ways, it really was reminiscent of the movies that Spielberg used to do during the 70's and 80's. And it almost feels like with this movie, Spielberg has passed the torch on to Abrams.

It's a movie that I highly recommend. :thumbup

Aurelias Kazaar
Jun 12th, 2011, 04:30:52 PM
It's a great tribute to early Spielberg, George Romero and Sam Raimi.

Mu Satach
Jun 13th, 2011, 11:24:01 PM
Overall, I enjoyed it on multiple levels. It's a keeper.

Is it just me? or did anyone else think that the alien was a bit of a nod to Stephen King's IT. Being all alien arachnid like, underground and the bodies sort of floating in the air. "Oh yes, we all float - and when you're down here with us, you'll float too!"

Rutabaga
Jun 14th, 2011, 06:47:48 AM
I agree, plus the alien was also reminiscent of the monster in Cloverfield, which I have to believe was intentional since JJ Abrams produced that movie.

I also saw a nod to another Stephen King story in the movie...Stand By Me. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 8th, 2012, 03:59:03 PM
We just watched this, it was great :) The performances by all the kids were really impressive, especially the main boy and girl.