PDA

View Full Version : Texas

Dasquian Belargic
May 18th, 2011, 08:56:22 AM
Do we have anyone living in Texas here? I might be travelling out with my mum to visit family there, later this year. Would love to meet up with some locals and do.. whatever it is Texans do!

Julian Davitt
May 18th, 2011, 09:03:38 AM
Would love to meet up with some locals and do.. whatever it is Texans do!

Square dancing and electrocuting retards.

Flux
May 18th, 2011, 12:10:15 PM
Would love to meet up with some locals and do.. whatever it is Texans do!

Square dancing and electrocuting retards.
Dear God, I haven't laughed so hard in a day. Thank you.

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2011, 12:36:11 PM
Well, Texas can really be divided by different regions/cities, so where in Texas are you talking about?

Dasquian Belargic
May 18th, 2011, 12:53:02 PM
I think our relatives live in Fort Worth

Lilaena De'Ville
May 18th, 2011, 01:17:44 PM
I think Liam lives in Texas, and I know Taylor does, but I don't know which city. :p

Sanis Prent
May 18th, 2011, 02:41:48 PM
Steers, queers, "barbecue", and football with no rushing yardage whatsoever

Polly Smithson
May 18th, 2011, 03:00:04 PM
Go to Austin. Eat at The Smoke House. It will change your life.

Liam Jinn
May 18th, 2011, 03:40:26 PM
I live in Dallas, which is right next to Fort Worth.

CMJ
May 18th, 2011, 04:01:41 PM
DFW is a pretty cool area (I grew up there, but live in Los Angeles now). It depends on what you wanna do, but there are all kinda of things worth doing/seeing. The Forth Worth Zoo is one of the better ones I've ever been to. Some great museums in Dallas and Ft Worth. Also you can see where Kennedy got shot - many people make that pilgrimage. If you go up about 40 miles to Denton - there's a big indie music scene. About halfway between Dallas and Forth Worth is Arlington. You have 2 major theme parks there.

Those are things just off the top of my head that could potentially interest you.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 18th, 2011, 04:19:12 PM
I think Liam lives in Texas, and I know Taylor does, but I don't know which city. :p

Taylor used to live in Dallas; he's in AZ now unless he moved back and didn't tell me :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 18th, 2011, 05:04:28 PM
Oh yeah, dumb me.

Pierce Tondry
May 18th, 2011, 05:12:17 PM
Callista (Jen Miller) lives in Texas. She was kinda enough to loan me her bed for a night when I needed a place to stay on my way home from BN. She's in Dallas, though again, that's a stone's throw from Fort Worth. She's a total sweetheart and you should say hi if she'll be in town.

Aurelias Kazaar
May 18th, 2011, 05:36:11 PM
Depending on the date, I may (may) be in town. I do live in AZ now.

I know several place I can recommend (including an awesome comic shop, Mexican food restaurant etc).

Morgan Evanar
May 18th, 2011, 11:47:44 PM
If you were going anywhere near Austin the Salt Lick is even better than Poke-e-Joe's.

I know nada about DFW. Hopefully Liam can lay the knowledge down.

Polly Smithson
May 19th, 2011, 12:26:14 AM
Ahh, I think that's the place I meant, Chris! Not 'The Smoke House' :rolleyes. That's the open fire bbq place with the amazing brisket, right? And the ribs and the sausage ohhhh man?

Charley
May 19th, 2011, 06:59:35 AM
In all seriousness brisket, while alien from my southeastern BBQ roots, is Real Good, so eat it.

Austin is awesome. DFW generally held to be awesome too, but less/more than Austin depending on how much you like hipsters and HOOK EM HORNS

Houston is bad.

Amarillo smells like poop.

Charley
May 19th, 2011, 07:01:40 AM
Also - Tex Mex:

Quite a bit of it is good as long as you know what is done well in the genre and listen to locals. Tex Mex burritos are a meal for two usually, but awesome.

For tacos though, gotta go full mex or go home.

Morgan Evanar
May 19th, 2011, 08:01:24 AM
Ahh, I think that's the place I meant, Chris! Not 'The Smoke House' :rolleyes. That's the open fire bbq place with the amazing brisket, right? And the ribs and the sausage ohhhh man?In your defense, it's called Poke-e-Joe's Smokehouse as the whole name and it's 95% of what the Salt Lick is in terms of deliciousness. That is incredible.

Texas can have weird alcohol laws so beware of that. No idea how it works in DFW.

Park Kraken
May 19th, 2011, 12:33:52 PM
We're heading out to Houston in early June for a cousin's wedding. We were talking about going tubing out in the back country someplace (all I know is that it's like a day's drive to get out there) but there is enough of a drought right now that the river's are too dry.

Dasquian Belargic
May 22nd, 2011, 03:05:21 AM
Depending on the date, I may (may) be in town. I do live in AZ now.

I know several place I can recommend (including an awesome comic shop, Mexican food restaurant etc).

Most likely we will be there sometime in October.

I'm sure our relatives out there will have stuff to recommend too, but I appreciate all teh recommendations, especially for good food :D

Lilaena De'Ville
May 22nd, 2011, 09:34:02 AM
Too bad you couldn't arrange it so you could just fly from Texas to Miami :p

Dasquian Belargic
May 22nd, 2011, 10:18:29 AM
I know right? :lol I'll probably end up back home for a fortnight then hopping on another plane