PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Memories

John Jackson
May 11th, 2011, 12:09:16 AM
John hated airports.

The fact that they earned his ire was hardly unique. He hated train stations, too. Cinemas. Diners. Motels. Buses. Bridges. Park benches. It wasn't the crowds of people that you always had to negotiate. It wasn't the cacophany of noise that preyed on your concentration. It wasn't the inconsiderate assholes with their MP3 players blaring as they completely ignored any kind of manners and social convention.

Well okay; maybe they contributed a little. But mostly, it was the memories.

One of the weird things about human beings was that they really weren't all that private about what was going on in their heads, no matter how hard they tried to be, or how successful they thought they were. People always tried to hide their emotions from their expressions and their body language, and yet still radiated it from their minds like a giant neon billboard. The more intense the emotions, the brighter the radioactive sign.

Some mutants picked up on that sort of thing. John had met - even arrested - a few. Compared to him, they were the lucky ones. They plucked thoughts from the minds of people; felt their emotions when they were fresh enough for a difference to be made. John couldn't do that, no matter how hard he tried.

The trouble with radioactive anything - emotions or otherwise - was that it contaminated the world around it. From that perspective, John was a walking geiger counter. Every emotional high and low left an imprint on the place it had happened, and John felt every one of them. Every time he crossed a bridge, he felt the depression and despair of every person who had ever jumped. Every time he sat in a diner, he felt the nervousness and ellation of every first date; the crushing sadness of every last date; the bubbling rage of every seething bitch-session about that ex and the tramp he'd run off with.

They faded over time, and became blurry as new emotions were stamped on top. The fresher they were, the more he could determine: not the who, necessarily, but certainly the what and the why. That had been the one glimmer of hope he'd managed to find: turning his curse into a gift to help him catch the scum of New York City.

It had taken it's tole on his private life, though. Especially his love life. At first it had been great: every moment he spent in his appartment had been accompanied by the joy of every date; the merry comfort of every evening of sofa-cuddled movie watching; the blissful sensation of pure togetherness. And the bedroom? He'd had to resort to sleeping on the sofa when she was away, just so his head was clear enough to sleep. But then, as happened with every relationship, things went a little wrong. Though few, their arguments had been spectacular; and they lingered. And it became hard to savour those quiet evenings together when the bitter aftertaste of every row tugged at the back of his mind.

He'd kept it a secret for months; that had been a mistake. She'd suspected something; confronted him. So he told her. That too, it turned out, was a mistake. She'd left - for his sake, or so she said - and he'd been left alone as the bad memories became worse, and the sweet ones turned bitter.

When the LAPD had put in the call - contacted the NYPD for help in establishing their own mutant crimes division, Jackson had jumped at the chance. And so here he was, standing outside LAX, flagging down a taxi to take him where he needed to go.

He clambered into the back of the black-and-yellow cab that pulled up, keeping his conversation to a disgruntled minimum. A scrap of paper was dragged from his pocket, and passed wordlessly to the driver. On it was scrawled an address, and three letters: MCU.

Stern
May 12th, 2011, 11:37:21 AM
Michael Stern stepped out of the police precinct and into the only source of light brighter than he was: the sun. The brilliant star's warmth felt fantastic to him. Sometimes it was like the sun was his much much bigger brother looking down on him from the sky. Maybe it was that encounter in low orbit the first time he light-jumped, or maybe it was merely the nature of his powers, but for some reason he felt a bond with the sun.

A taxi pulled up to the curb and out of the back seat stepped John Jackson, "The Man That Started It All." He had been instrumental in starting Stern's career in the police force, and by extension the LAPD MCU.

"Jackson!" Stern greeted the man enthusiastically and gave him a big hug: Stern was never one to be uncomfortable about hugging anyone.

Jackson's powers were like his wife Anita's, and so Stern made sure the mutant would only pick up the thoughts of appreciation, gratitude, and joy as he embraced his old friend.

After a moment, he let go. "How was your trip?"

John Jackson
May 14th, 2011, 03:55:24 AM
Jackson clapped his enthusiastic friend on the shoulder. His mind flooded briefly with vague ghosts of their previous encounters; corroded enough by time for John to be spared the intimate details of Stern's perspective, but familiar enough for his own memories to fill in the blanks. He wasn't sure what item about Stern's person was responsible for imparting those memories, but he clearly had something with him that he'd worn or carried through those past experiences. For a fleeting moment, he wondered if Stern was aware; or indeed if it was intentional. Knowing Stern, it wouldn't really have suprised him if he had.

As his old friend enquired about his flight, John had to fight back a wince. "The trip was long," he admitted. "From what I could tell, one of the recent previous passengers in my seat had a serious schoolboy crush on a stewardess, while another was airsick and utterly phobic of flying. I spent most of the flight fighting the urge to throw up, panic, and blush every time one of the cabin crew walked past."

Now that the experience was behind him, he couldn't help a slight tug of a smile as he heard how preposterous it was to hear it all out loud. For all of the good points and bad points about his powers, there was a whole sack full of ugly points that were just downright weird.

Feeling considerably less sullen and subdued, he let his fledgeling smile flourish, and changed the subject completely. "How's Anita?"

Stern
May 16th, 2011, 08:06:53 AM
Stern shuddered and pulled a face. Mostly it was to try to make Jackson laugh, but he knew from his time spent with Anita that things like that could be seriously irksome, to say the least.

"Anita is great. She's running the big library here in town and having a blast the whole time. There hasn't been a thing in the world she loves more than books, so being surrounded by them is like having her own personal candy store. If I could find a way to turn that book smell into a cologne, I don't think I could shake her off of me even if I light-jumped halfway around the world."

Stern waved Jackson towards the precinct doors. "Come on, I'll show you around. We'll meet the rest of the MCU later. Right now they're all out and about. We have a handful of cases we're working on at the moment. And how's your family?"

John Jackson
Jun 7th, 2011, 03:28:58 PM
When you spent most of your life without proper parents, you found family in strange places. His father - a detective, too - had been killed on the job; that had earned John an entire precinct full of uncles and aunts who'd helped to turn him into the man he'd become. Even though most had retired, moved on, or passed away by now, the New York Police Department had never stopped being his 'family'.

"The Captain is doing well," he answered, referring to Sean Pope - the man who'd been chosen to lead the MCU back in New York. "He still hates the politics of it all, and he hasn't got the hang of dealing with the techno geek squad yet, but he's getting there. Dwayne's mouth still goes off long before his brain kicks in, but expecting that to change is about as likely to work as wishing the sun would turn blue. Billy is still whipping up gizmos that he swears will change the entire face of forensics; and Monty is still hanging around doing -" He trailed off momentarily. "- whatever it is he does. To be honest, I don't understand most of the words that come out of his mouth, but he seems to get the job done, mostly. And as for his sister..."

This time, the silence he lapsed into lasted longer. A weight pressed down on his shoulders, robbing him of his usual relaxed stance. "To be honest, I don't know how Phillipa is. Things got complicated, and she asked to be reassigned... I haven't spoken to her since."

He frowned, staring intently at the woodwork of the precinct doors for what seemed to his mind like an eternity. With a visible effort, he wrenched his mind back to the present. "New York stays in New York," he announced, to himself as much as to Stern. With a shoulder, he heaved the entrance open, gesturing for Michael to go through first. "I'm here to work. Lets see what you've got."

Stern
Jun 7th, 2011, 08:10:53 PM
Stern nodded as Jackson gave him the rundown of the officers he used to work with at the precinct. He was about to offer condolences about Philipa, but then Jackson shouldered open the door.

"What we have are a few cases involving mutant hate crime. Mostly routine. Out of the ordinary, we have a hardware store covered in blood: probably a mutant fight gone way out of control. We suspect the mutants were at least 3's. I'll get you all the background info and we can drop by the crime scene later so you can do your work."

Stern led the way into his office, where the letters "Captain Michael Stern, LAPD MCU," were emblazoned on the door's window.

"That's still odd to look at," he muttered with an off-hand wave at the lettering.

"However, what I want the two of us to focus on today is an odd event involving a mutant non-profit organization called Redencion House. Redencion is a safe house for mutant kids run by a woman named Anna Fernandez. Sweet lady, wouldn't hurt anyone unless they threatened the kids in her care. Definite Momma Bear, that one. While Miss Fernandez and her wards were out for a holiday trip, someone came in and cause some very specific damage to the house."

Stern took the case file from the top of a pile on his desk. He flipped it open to the pictures. "Their picket fence was cut down at the base of the fence pylons, the back porch completely torn off the house, a banister loosened to it would collapse under anyone who put their weight on it, and a sink that leaks around the basin when it's turned on."

Stern took a seat and motioned for Jackson to do the same. "Miss Fernandez says these things were all once broken--the banister and the sink--or added to the property--the back porch and the fence--by one Apollos Apatmos. Apparently, he was an overbearing sort of man, and not very pleasant. He would come over and do things to the house as he saw fit without her permission or invitation. The two of them had a falling out over her unexpected pregnancy from a non-mutant man Miss Fernandez met."

Stern continued to turn the pages as he spoke, drawing attention to a significant line or photograph. "She suspects he came and demolished his own handiwork to send a message to her. He also visited her room in the house at night without alerting any of the other residents--even a kid who apparently never sleeps. He didn't do much to her. Just sort of loomed over her in her sleep, and clawed into her pregnant belly. Apparently his power involves growing sharp bladed bones that protrude from his skin. According to the description he uses this ability to cover himself in a visually horrifying bone armor. At least the cuts on her abdomen weren't even that deep. Then he left."

The LAPD MCU captain gave the visiting detective free rein of the case file. "The man is obviously deranged, and so I have set up an extra patrol to act as deterrence from future visits. I need the two of us to pay the Redencion House a visit and see if you can't use your powers to get into the mind of this dangerous criminal."

John Jackson
Jun 9th, 2011, 08:05:43 AM
Most detectives would have skimmed the case file, initially familiarising themselves with the basics with a view to paying it closer scrutiny later. But John wasn't most detectives. From the moment the cardboard folder made contact with his skin, the file became much more than facts and figures about the crime and it's suspects: it became a repository of the thoughts and feelings of those who had reviewed it already. While it was extreme emotions that left the deepest marks, the kind of intense and prolongued scrutiny that detectives gave to their case files was enough to plant roadsigns throughout the documents, drawing his eyes to the facts of importance, and cordoning off the avenues that had already been pursued.

"I fly all the way out here, and the best you've got for me is a domestic disturbance, huh?" he quipped, slipping into the same black humour that so many members of law enforcement seemed to share: the only thing that kept them sane given what they dealt with on a daily basis.

He flipped the case file closed with the muffled click of paper on paper, and fought the urge to grin as he tried to flash the Captain a look that matched his name. "Don't you have any cases that involve bars, beaches, or bikinis?"

Stern
Jun 9th, 2011, 09:18:25 PM
"We don't get those cases unless mutants are involved. And it's not always pretty. There was one Olympic swimmer in there a short while back, but I have to keep that kind of thing to a minimum. Anita's not a jealous woman, but I kind of have to keep the slate clean. You know."

Stern scratched at his scalp and sighed. "As far as this case is concerned, if it were in fact just a domestic disturbance, I'd be much happier. This is focused. Driven. The man has a definite plan to absolutely tear down this entire house. The building, the organization, the people. All of it. I have already made Redencion House's safety a top priority. It offers here what Cullen's offered in New York: a place for mutants to be safe and accepted. And you know how I feel about terrorists."