PDA

View Full Version : How do you trap a teleporter?

Hurucan
May 8th, 2011, 12:13:05 AM
Hurucan may at some point be trapped and imprisoned. I am somewhat curious as to how that might be achieved.

I ask for no reason other than genuine curiosity: I know that some of you are a lot more versed in Marvel lore than I am; and I think there are a couple of other teleporters about the place too. Are there materials that teleporters can't pass through? Are there energy fields that disrupt a teleporter's abilities? Do you have to inject them with some sort of serum, implant them with some sort of device, or sit them in a room with Leech for all eternity?

The TV show Sanctuary went with an "EM shield" that - as I understood it, anyway - causes a type of interference that will scramble/disrupt a teleporter if they try and pass through it. Is there a Marvel equivalent of that? Something less destructive/deadly, perhaps?

Park Kraken
May 8th, 2011, 01:36:31 AM
While I'm not into the forum version of X-men RPing, generally one way to trap a teleporter in X-men lore would be to knock them out and fit them with a Genosha Power Inhibiter (necklace) that would cancel out their abilities without harming them (too much, at least).

Anna Fernandez
May 8th, 2011, 02:45:40 AM
Read the RP Foxhunt - my teleporter was captured in that thread. Tranq. darts did it for her, but a little luck too.

Psion
May 8th, 2011, 02:58:57 AM
So, tranquilizers and a collar? Are those the only options, or are they just the easiest / most common ones?

Flipping the question around: are there any techniques for keeping teleporters out of somewhere? I'm looking to get a better understanding of the (for want of a better term) "science" of teleporting, as well.

Dasquian Belargic
May 8th, 2011, 03:16:21 AM
I can't think of anything, off the top of my head - but looking into Nightcrawlers powers/limitations would probably be the best way to see if there are any other options.

Anna Fernandez
May 8th, 2011, 03:20:56 AM
Generally teleporters don't 'port in blindly, so make your room with thick walls and no windows and hide the blueprints, they'll probably stay out. :lol

Polly Smithson
May 8th, 2011, 03:22:05 AM
I guess it depends on the hows of your character's teleportation? Clarity/Chartis has a biological predisposition in a heavy concentration of magnetite in her brain (the same substance that sea turtles and the like use to navigate) which aids her mutation, providing a mental map of the earth via the geomagnetic field. Creating a strong magnetic interference would severely limit her abilities - at the very least force her to make a blind jump and certainly with the right mojo perhaps even prevent one entirely. But that's just an individual case, so. ^_^'

Doktor Klaus Heidegger
May 8th, 2011, 08:07:00 AM
At first I thought you were seriously interested in having a character imprisoned and/or captured. I was thinking that this looks like a job for the Doktor here.

Well, that depends on the kind and style of teleportation you use.

Nightcrawler can only really teleport to places he can see, and only really up to 3 miles at a time. Teleporting against gravity is more difficult for him than teleporting with gravity, and he maintains his velocity when he does it.

But there's another teleporting mutant in the marvel universe that I know of called Blink, who teleports through use of portals.

In Nightcrawler's case, you have to limit his options, or get the element of surprise. For Blink you can probably afford to take your chances, since she has to open a portal first. Though if you fail to catch Blink on the first try, she could be anywhere, but with Nightcrawler he could be anywhere within 3 miles of you.

Which character are you asking about, and what's their exact power set?

I consider Stern a teleporter, even though it's really light speed travel, due to the fact that he more or less moves instantly. He can be halted by mirrors, and experiences severe problems when passing through light prisms. (Actually, I have no idea what would happen if Stern passed through a light prism).

So it all depends on the nature of the teleportation.

Tear
May 8th, 2011, 11:52:47 AM
A key note on teleporters is that most actually phase through another dimension to re-appear at their destination. Which is one of the reasons why Nightcrawler retains his momentum when teleporting. I think he goes through Limbo? But I can't remember.

There's another pretty well known teleporter named Vanisher. Who's teleporting ability is mixed with a subconcious psionic ability he has allowing him to teleport to places he's never seen or been to before. He too also phases through another dimension called the Darkforce.

Ways I've seen teleporters been defeated:

Like it was stated above it depends a lot on the type of teleporter the character is and what sort of 'tells' they have.

Nightcrawler has a lot of physical hints, if you're super human you can sense the displacement of air before he arrives, or the sound his teleporting makes etc. Also the character and the choices they make for example can be the way they are defeated: Nightcrawler was killed because he moved to save someone from a Sentinal called Bastion. Bastion was approaching a girl who nightcrawler was defending. At the last second Bastion sensed nightcrawlers mutant activation, then predicted his most likely movement, sticking his hand in the area nightcrawler was arriving. Nightcrawler rematerialized with the sentinals hand in his chest. Killing him.

The Sentinal predicted Nightcrawler was going to try to intercept and save the girl.

Vanisher was defeated when X-Force researched and discovered all of his hideouts. Placing a member at each safehouse. Wolverine then jumped him and inflicted mortal damage. Vanisher teleported to a place he knew he could get first aid only to find another member of X-force waiting for him, who only added to his injuries. Etc etc, until Vanisher finally collapsed at his last location nearly dead.

Vanisher was panicked and hurt so he was instinctively teleporting to these known places of safety.

Theres another character named Francis Klum, who fell from a building, teleported mid fall but retained his momentum, breaking his leg when he came out of the teleport.

Also: The Raft, and the Prisoner installations in the negative zone. Google them and they might offer some sort of hint to keep teleporters disabled. I know they use numerous physical devices along with nanites. That dampen all kinds of power sets.

In terms of keeping teleporters out:

I can't remember but did you're character have some sort of electricity deal as well? Maybe it's possible strong electro-magnetic fields interfere with his ability to teleport to certain places? What would happen if someone set an E.M.P off near him? Something funky perhaps?

Hope this helped.

Hurucan
May 8th, 2011, 03:55:04 PM
Thanks guys - Klaus and Tear in particular, you've been a big help!

As per Jenny's advice, I was reading into Nightcrawler's powers - I already knew he travelled through another dimension (the Brimstone Dimension, apparently; the smoke when he bampfs is the atmosphere from that dimension leaking out, apparently), but wasn't aware of Vanisher of Blink.

You're right on the money about Hurucan having electricity connections. One of the other things I found about Nightcrawler is that he can travel slightly further north-south ("along" Earth's magnetic field) than he can east-west ("across the grain", as it were).

Whenever I visualise Hurucan teleporting, I imagine a Nightcrawler-style explosion of electricity in his wake. In terms of sensing him then, I guess he'd probably have a little static electricity preceeding him, along with the displacement of air when he teleports? That could be an interesting "tell" if he faces off against Surge, who is an electrokinetic speedster: someone capable of both sensing and reacting to his materialisation.

As for transporting through dimensions... how do Chartris and Vigilante work? I don't want to make any decisions regarding Hurucan's abilities that affect how the abilities of others work, etc. :)

Anna Fernandez
May 8th, 2011, 04:08:07 PM
Ginny/Vigilante basically teleports just like Nightcrawler. She only travels 33 feet, 4 inches each time maximum. However she 'leveled up' as it were and discovered that she also can 'port directly into the Astral Plane and from there teleport anywhere in the world.

This is obviously dangerous as she's not a psychic mutant and she's actually there in the flesh, so it comes with its own limitations.

Akrabbim
May 9th, 2011, 09:03:04 PM
I would think you'd be able to use a mentalist to imprison a teleporter. Anything that would fuzz their concentration should do it. If you're dealing with a high level mentalist, they could likely put some form of mental block on them that activates anytime they try to access that part of their mind.

As for blocking a teleporter, illusion would work. If you don't know something's there, you wouldn't know it was there to teleport into. Likewise, you could try some form of passive denial. It'd be odd, but perhaps if you were dealing with a very technologically advanced base, you could have lasers or monofilaments that were constantly in place unless a person with some sort of badge was nearby. Thus, if you DID teleport in, you'd be zapped/monofilamented to death.

Magic in the Marvel universe seems to trump teleportation as well. Nightcrawler was in one story where demonic magic worked to keep him from teleporting through it.

And if you wanted to go WAY out there, have a base like the Raft, but have the thing be a dimension hopper according to an encrypted algorithm. If you have an access card, you'll know what dimension to hop to at what point. If you're in there, you'd obviously always hop back to the 616 universe. But from outside, you'd have no way of knowing what universe the base was in at what point.

Or you could simply have the thing be entirely flooded, and everyone inside in suits. But that'd be silly.