PDA

View Full Version : Booster Gold!

Captain Untouchable
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:36:52 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKp2vfD9FG8?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKp2vfD9FG8?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="250" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Yeah, I realise that Booster Gold is a DC comics character, but I figured the above promo (for last week's episode of Smallville) sums up where my mind is at pretty well at the moment.

There are a lot of mutant characters around at the moment who - for understandable reasons - are hiding their mutations, and not registering. On the one hand, we've got vigilantes and groups like X-Force arriving in LA, being heroes, and keeping their identities hidden. We've even got celebrities standing up and renouncing the Mutant Registration Act. In terms of political capital, the anti-registration team has quite a lot on it's side.

In the meantime, the only actively pro-registration group that we've got is the LAPD, and while MCU features mutants and could certainly be considered heroes, they aren't superheroes. There's no Captain America or Iron Man in this universe, whose identities are publically known and who work alongside law enforcement. There's no Superman to stand up and be a beacon for truth, justice, and the American way.

What I'd like to do is create a character in the same sort of vein as Hancock: someone who is turned from nothing into a publicity icon. Perhaps someone who sells his heroism to the masses like a used car salesmen (a la Booster Gold), or whose superhero costume is covered in corporate endorsements and tie-ins like Captain Amazing from Mystery Men (maybe those sponsorships fund repairs to the city from mutant / vigilante damage?)

The idea would be sucktastic without anyone to get involved with, and I would really appreciate some help from you guys. Some questions that I have regarding the idea:

Would it work/fit in, or is the fact that there's no one to look up to an important part of the LA story?<br>

Should he be a mutant, or should his abilities be given to him by technology (Iron Man) or in a lab (Captain America)?<br>

What should his powers be?<br>

Should he be a cliche "American hero" - a military background? - or should be be an average guy who has stepped into responsibility?<br>

What happens when "Captain California" (working title!) encounters a group like X-Force? Do they team up and work as secret allies, or is it like the Civil War storyline where they're treated as outlaws?

Input very much appreciated. :)

Rossos Atrapes
Apr 29th, 2011, 05:01:44 PM
The opportunity to play a Hancock would be amazing. I find him as a superhero much more likeable than Superman (and not because of his flaws) and much more indicative of the American Way, but that's beside the point.

Would it work/fit in, or is the fact that there's no one to look up to an important part of the LA story?

I think there are viable arguments for both a yes and a no answer to this question. It could work, if the character fits the tone of the LA plots, which seems to be grimmer, and both more 'realistic' and more character driven than anything else: this character could be something of a refreshing role model for the government or something, which I feel is sorely lacking; it serves for a good villain, but I think the story and plots would only go deeper and become more nuanced if some sympathetic government characters (aside from the MCU) were made or through the story if some characters filled the role of something like "loyal objectors" or something like that.

Should he be a mutant, or should his abilities be given to him by technology (Iron Man) or in a lab (Captain America)?

I think, whoever the character turns out to be if he/she does turn out to be, it should be a lower level mutant that, either through technology or lab work, is made more powerful. Sort of something like Wolverine getting his claws because he had the healing ability to allow him to survive the process.

Should he be a cliche "American hero" - a military background? - or should be be an average guy who has stepped into responsibility?

A Mexican immigrant. :p A homeless person? Given my thoughts above, I think it should be someone who starts off lower on the ladder to provide a more or less relate-able and sympathetic figure (and/or, at the same time, a more controversial figure) to the people of the area. Think pretty much like Hancock.

What happens when "Captain California" (working title!) encounters a group like X-Force? Do they team up and work as secret allies, or is it like the Civil War storyline where they're treated as outlaws?

I'm all for the Civil War style plot. Though maybe a Cold War style plot could be better? Something like, with the 'loyal objector' thought above, a sort of period where they circle each other, with tensions rising to the point of an all out battle/war sort of scenario?

Aidan Fox
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:25:47 PM
Been talking to Cap, and wanted to post some of my thoughts here:

At face value, this is a fine idea, but I think it's too early in the story for the government to trot out an "approved superhero." First of all because there isn't a superhero/vigilante presence for them to be responding to yet, secondly because it would seem like a vote of poor confidence in the MCU's ability to handle mutant crimes without a freelancer working outside their authority.

I think it would work better as something to develop over time along with the X-Force. Say, once the X-Force gets a few missions under its belt and has started to develop some notoriety, our friend is recruited by the government or elects to register himself and go official. One way or another, he develops into the persona of Captain California specifically to act as a foil to groups like the X-Force. Then you've got your Marvel Civil War dynamic between the registered and unregistered superheros.

This is the sort of storyline you develop as a riff on established ideas, a season-two plot arc rather than season-one. Even though Redencion House has been developing the LA setting for a while now, it hasn't been about superheroes - the X-Force with its superhero presence in LA is very new, and it needs to be better established before it can provoke this kind of calculated response. It's possible Captain California could even start out as a member or ally of the X-Force before he's tapped by the government.

Surge
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:36:58 PM
I was going to post some thoughts of mine own, but having read Aidan's post I'm just going to say: Ditto. I like the idea, but I think it's better off saved for further down the line.

Tom Harriman
Apr 30th, 2011, 03:50:03 PM
I think there's a big part of the idea that might have been overlooked - or perhaps I didn't make a big enough deal about it in the original post.

Captain California isn't here to fight crime. Above all else, he's here to serve as an inspiration. He's here to show people that you can be a mutant, and you can do something to help: not just be a criminal, or a vigilante. He's here to show people that you can go out, register as a mutant, and not be hated for it.

Think back to the Superman movies and shows. Superman spent as much time fighting fires, clearing up after natural disasters, catching bus-loads of screaming children before they drove off a bridge. All of that stuff is an essential part of what superheroes do: and it's something that the MCU doesn't currently do, because they're primarily a law enforcement organisation. If the MCU wants or needs his help, I'm sure they'll have it: but he's a propoganda tool, not a superpowered cop.

Do I think now is a good time to introduce that sort of character? Actually, yes. Given that mutant registration is still voluntary for the next few months, I think that this is the prime time for a propoganda character to come onto the scene. I think that in terms of public opinion, more traction can be achieved before registration becomes mandatory. As soon as we start mandatory registration, it's the MCU that are going to be painted as the villains while forcing that issue: having that cushion of popularity behind Captain California could be extremely useful political capital at that point.

I've also got to admit, I'm really not liking the prospect of having to sit on this idea until "everyone else is ready". Whenever that happens, ideas tend to fizzle out. Even if I just start doing origin stories, I'd like to at least get an idea of where I'm heading.

I think though that the issue of when we introduce the character is something we can worry about later. I'd much rather get input on his powers, his origin, and his motivations at the moment, and then worry about introducing him once we know who it is we're introducing.

Going back to the bullet points in the original post - what are the cliché superpowers for the kind of hero that fights fires and saves cats from trees? Flight, maybe?

Any thoughts on Vincent's suggestion about having his powers augmented and boosted artificially? That sounds like the sort of thing that Jericho or Vanguard might be involved with... but why would they allow all their hard work and research to be used as a political / propoganda tool? Is seeing the mutant registration act passed in California an important enough issue, or is there something more complicated and nefarious going on?

Aidan Fox
Apr 30th, 2011, 04:17:19 PM
I agree that it's not fun to have to wait on other storylines to finish before you roll out an idea you're interested in. I do it all the time, and I've got plenty of big things I'm looking forward to doing that I can't yet because the pieces aren't in place. I've also had to abandon ideas in the past because the pieces never came together.

Your first bullet point was, "Would it work?" and I'm still not sure the superhero angle will at this point. The propaganda angle still doesn't really address the issue that superheroes aren't part of the LA landscape, and I don't think it makes sense for an agency of the government to just up and create one on their own.

What I can see is a mutant spokesperson. "Yes, I'm a mutant, but that doesn't stop me from holding a job, inspiring children, and serving my community. Watch as I donate my time to this senior citizen center. To the animal shelter. To this construction project in a low-income neighborhood. You, too, can register, and we can help you use your gifts for the common good!" Such a role could easily transition into something more theatric if the need arises.

Dunno if that interests you, but that would certainly influence the other bullet points. It's too nice a ploy for Vanguard's tastes, but it could have Jericho written all over it.

Tom Harriman
Apr 30th, 2011, 04:30:29 PM
If superheroes aren't part of the LA landscape, doesn't that make it a prime candidate for a manufactured one?

In the Spiderman movies, there weren't any other superheroes around when he first showed up. If anything, I think that made him more significant, and provided a bigger impact.

Someone needs to be the first. Who knows: maybe it'll inspire more down the line.

Aidan Fox
Apr 30th, 2011, 05:14:45 PM
If it's your character's idea and not a government/corporate stunt, more of a self-promoting, thrill-seeking, self-appointed superhero - which, I now realize, was more central than the spokesperson for registration angle - I think that could totally work. It's no different from Felix Fletcher or Tom Harriman doing their nightly rounds, except that this guy wants to be seen.

I can also see a variety of responses from different groups: the MCU would say they can't endorse these kinds of actions, but if he's careful, it's possible there's no reason for them to arrest him. Mutants with revolutionary chops like Alex would think he's prostituting his gifts for personal acclaim instead of doing something to really make a difference. X-Force and other covert vigilantes would be hacked at him for drawing the public eye. Taya might think he looks cute in spandex.

Am I thinking on the right lines?

Tom Harriman
Apr 30th, 2011, 05:33:22 PM
Being self-made undermines the poster-boy / media frenzy / mascot angle of the idea. The fact that you feel the government won't endorse it now isn't the sort of thing that will change over time: so it looks like an impass.

I guess it won't work. Thanks for taking the time to think it over.