PDA

View Full Version : X-Forced to Move.

Tradeskill
Apr 27th, 2011, 09:05:49 AM
Hannelore Hughes parked her tiny, rented moving van in front of a small-ish one-story house in Los Santos. Her GPS helpfully reminded her in a flat, male monotone that she was arriving at "Ham's House, on right" as she took the key from the ignition and unfastened the seatbelt. She hopped out lightly and slammed the door, walking up the cracked driveway and past her brother's pollen-green Lancer. The door was open to let in whatever rare breezes happened by. A sticky note was posted on the door frame, written in her brother Hamilton's cramped, all-caps handwriting.

CLEANING KITCHEN, JUST COME IN

Hannelore shook her head and smiled, wandering into the house. The door opened right into the living room, which was covered by fluffy blue carpet and dominated by an enormous flat-screen tv and a wooden-framed futon. The carpet transitioned to plain white linoleum as the living room melted into the dining room. Above the small, round dinner table and it's four identical chairs hung a map of Los Santos which was decorated with pastel-purple pushpins. Beside that hung a small whiteboard whose eraser tray bore a dry-erase marker, the eraser, and a box of store-brand cheap-ass pushpins.

She stood before the map and popped open an Atomic Fireball, clamping it between her teeth as she meticulously folded the wrapper into a tiny square. Each pushpin had a little note stuck with it, noting the significance of each location. One said "HAM 'N HAN'S". Another was marked "R. HOUSE", a few miles to the south. A third stated that "JERICHO" was a lengthy drive away, and a fourth marked "JOB" denoted the warehouse district.

"Ham!" she called in her Southern drawl, idly biting the Fireball, "I'm here. Dig the map, it's very colorful. And why the hell ass balls is it as hot here as it was in Atlanta?"

"Because," replied Hamilton, his accent nearly stamped out from years living in the midwest, "the weather hates you. Good to see you, Han." He drifted up beside her and they shared a hug. "When did you go blonde?" His right hand took some of her chin-length hair and bunched it up. A small, barely visible spark passed between them, and Ham let go. "You look like a stranger."

"I thought I'd try something different," she told him, rolling her candy from one cheek to the other. "You wanna help me move? You can carry the dresser by yourself this time and spare me some sweating." The two siblings were fraternal twins, and their X-Genes had triggered a typical power-set with an atypical condition. One sibling was physically superior, wielding increased strength, speed, agility, reflexes, and stamina while the other was functionally mundane. The two could switch the power by a physical touch; Ham had just taken their shared power back for the first time in two years.

"I wasn't planning on it, but if that's what you want, we'll need to wait for dark. Nobody in this town knows that I'm a mutant. It's probably best if they don't know that you are, as well. So, are you ready for our new job?"

Han shook her head and led the way back out to the moving van. "Nnnnot really," she said slowly, flipping through her keys for the one that would open her van's padlock. "I'm still not sure what it is we're doing, precisely. But after we've been there a week or two and we can get an idea of how our income looks, we oughtta trade up this little house for somethin' swankier. I'm gonna buy a new car, since I sold my old Dodge wreck to make the rental fee on this tank and float myself by while the new job got fired up."

Ham lifted the rolling door as his sister popped the latch and jumped up inside, grabbing a box and handing it off to her. "Well, I hope it's exciting, or at least busy. I could do with a distraction." Han gave her brother a sympathetic look. His daughter--her niece--had been checked into the Jozua Clinic months ago for help with her particular mutation. Han had visited a few times, but hadn't had cause to move until the job. The loss of his daughter to the clinic had also finally started Hamilton's marriage unraveling, and the recent divorce had been brutal.

"Well, I got a Wii and an X-Box," she offered. "We can play games or watch Netflix." Ham gave her a look. "What!? I'm a grown woman so I can't play video games? What ELSE am I supposed to do on post when all my friends are boys shaped like men?" Ham sighed, grabbed another box, and together he and his sister trekked across the yard. They entered the house, turned right, and walked into a decently-sized room that had already been furnished with a desk. Ham set his box on it and Han set her's in the closet.

"It's fine," he said after a moment. "I've still got the DS you gave us for Christmas last year." Silence loomed uncomfortably, and Han tried to figure out how best to approach the subject of "us".

"Any word?" she asked quietly, taking a few steps toward the door. Ham sighed again and followed, taking his sibling's cue to let the work even him out.

"No change, just like always. Can't see her, just like always. I'm getting tired of calling up there or visiting and being told that. I want to do something. I feel like there should be something I can do. I wish I hadn't lost custody. At least then I might have some power." He laughed at that, flexing his fingers and feeling his mutant strength in them. "They're...they're saying the research into nullifying the X-Gene is ongoing and no closer to fruition than it was when they checked her in. They asked us if we wanted to...to pull the plug, so to speak." Hamilton sagged onto the futon and slouched against the side that had been turned up to make it a couch, and Han sat beside him, leaning on his shoulder and hugging him tight. "I said no, of course," he continued. "I don't know what my wife said. If she said yes, they might go ahead since I don't have custody anymore. I just don't know."

Hannelore sighed and noted that Hamilton didn't use his wife's name, "Zoey." He was being particularly bitter about this. Of course he was, being a dad had always been one of his big dreams. Even now, at 36, Han didn't see the appeal, but she'd been a loving Auntie and a good caretaker when called upon. She could hardly imagine the stress it was having on her brother. "Well, let's worry about it a bit later, okay? That van's open and some miscreants could be stealing my tiny, busted-ass TV or my box of crappy fantasy novels. Let's just keep moving stuff," she suggested. Ham nodded and rose with her, though the cloud continued to hover over his head.

Tradeskill
Apr 30th, 2011, 12:36:09 PM
Together the Hughes siblings unloaded the van in silence. Ham's face was a mask of worry. The only sign of Han's concern for him was the way she ground at the Fireball with her back teeth.

"You know I can crush these when I've got our powers?" she asked idly as she set down the last of the boxes in the living room and he placed her office chair into the bedroom. Ham made a disinterested grunt and Hannelore rolled her eyes. "Am I bad sister? I wanna cheer you up. I know this situation with Jericho really sucks, but there's gotta be something I can do to make you at least crack a smile. You want I should get my tactical gear and go get her?"

Hannelore was two steps from career military. She was communications, but she had enough skill in the basic running/jumping/shooting/sneaking part of the army that she thought she had a reasonable chance at success. Hamilton shared her communication ability, but in a civilian capacity. He had held a string of jobs coordinating events and wiring sound systems like the Rally (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21778) that had recently occurred. He was no slouch physically either, having maintained his physical health in the absence of his power, and having taken the time to learn some martial arts and a little of his sister's military hand-to-hand. Together, they could probably coordinate such a job, with Ham directing Han from outside. Except...

"It...it isn't possible, I think," Ham confessed after a long time thinking. "I don't believe she's in the clinic. I don't think she's been there for a long time. They started denying our visits about a month in. A week or two ago they asked us permission to, uh...you know. I think they moved her somewhere else in the facility or to another place entirely." He offered a small half-smile. "Thank you, though."

Han smiled a bit back. "Well, it'll be alright, somehow. Let's team-lift the bookshelf, then the bed, then the dresser, and we'll be all set. I don't wanna wait on night." The remainder of the move went uneventfully. Ham found it difficult to mask their shared power at first. Han kept giving him warning looks when he would heft the furniture about too easily, and he griped about it once they had set the last of it inside.

"Urgh, I forgot how hard it can be to hide our power," he grumbled as man-handled the furniture into a sensible configuration. "You wouldn't think it'd be an issue. The power is as much a part of me as anything else. It oughtta be like walking."

Hannelore flopped over onto her bare mattress, sighing and finally crunching the now-tiny, no longer spicy, Fireball into little bits. "Well, once upon a time you were a little baby and you had issue with walking. And once upon a time a little later than that you were learning to ride a bike, and then a few times during the time after that you had to learn and re-learn how to skate." Ham sat in the office chair and rolled his eyes.

"Alright, I get the picture," he continued. "Gotta readjust. So let's return the van and then...I don't know. Something."

Tradeskill
May 15th, 2011, 07:18:43 AM
After a trip to the supermarket and some time spent setting up Han's consoles, Ham found himself seated in front of his big flatscreen TV, sighing as Gabriel Iglesias went through an anecdote about being pulled over by the police. In the kitchen, Han was busy slicing vegetables and tossing the results haphazardly over a home-made pizza that was waiting for the oven to pre-heat. She stood with her cellphone mashed between her face and shoulder, wincing uncomfortably as her neck started to ache.

"Yeah...yeah. We got it all moved into the house in about an hour. No trouble returning the van, either. Yeah, yeah it went real smooth, got my deposit back. Ham took me shopping for some extra stuff. He's still all bent out of shape over...yeah, exactly. I'm making him a pizza and forcing stand-up on him."

In the next room, Gabriel did his impression of a police siren for the hundredth time. Ham smirked, and Han grinned.

"Yeah, I think it's working. Look, I'mma let ya go. I need to put this in the oven. Ok. Ok, take care. Bye." Han opened the oven as the pre-heated light came on, pushed in her pizza try, then shut it and set the alarm. She went into the living room and sat beside her brother, handing him a 2-liter bottle of coke from the coffee table and opening the cap on her own. Together, they drank straight from the enormous bottles, took a breath, and belched loudly.

"I missed living with you," Ham said with a sigh of contentment. "It's good to slouch and not do anything."

"Oh, you just missed having someone cook," retorted his sister. Ham shook his head, but grinned. "Pizza's ready in just a bit," continued Hannelore. "Would be ready sooner, but mom called."

"She didn't ask to talk to me?" Ham asked, his expression one of dull surprise.

"Nah, she didn't want bug you too much. Said you needed to just relax. Which, you do."

"Mm," was Ham's absent-minded reply.

Tradeskill
May 17th, 2011, 10:22:42 AM
The pizza oven dinged and Han stood to go unload it, brows furrowed as Ham barked a laugh at Gabriel's closing act. He did need to relax. He needed it a lot. It wouldn't do to put stress on him after she'd finally started unwinding him. However...there was one detail of their new job he needed to know. The man who'd called and interviewed her knew of the powers shared between the Hughes siblings. It'd been as much his suggestion as her own that Ham also come to work on the new project. But...how to break that to him?

"What now!?" he called, reaching for the X-Box controller on the coffee table.

"Just search for Patton Oswalt, it'll be the only thing that's instant-watch," she called back. She sighed and got out the pizza cutter, slicing the rectangle into more or less even parts, then stood at the counter for a brief moment staring hard at it. Break the news, or let him laugh?

"Han! I found it. You ready!?"

Let him relax. There'll be time later. "Yeah. Yeah, put your feet down, I'm gonna just bring the whole tray." She snatched the tray up and grabbed a pair of plates, carrying the lot of it to the coffee table.

Four days later it was time to go in for orientation, and she still hadn't told him.