PDA

View Full Version : Magicka

Peter McCoy
Apr 27th, 2011, 08:59:02 AM
Just wondered if anybody has played this yet?

I tried the demo last night and really enjoyed myself. The basic idea is that you're a wizard who can cast various spells with his/her staff and you go around the world fighting monsters - both minions and big bosses. The central gameplay mechanic is that you are able to cast various spells: specifically Water, Life, Shield, Cold, Lightning, Arcane, Earth anf Fire. You essentially press QWERASDF to 'charge' each spell and then cast it with a click. So pressing F causes a small orb of fire to orbit you and you then right click on a location to spray fire in that direction for a few seconds. Or you can press W to charge up a Life spell and press the middle mouse button to cast on yourself to heal up. Holding shift and right-clicking causes an Area-of-effect spell, so charging up a lightning spell would allow you to discharge electricity into any surrounding enemies.

But the real fun comes when you combine spells. Earth allows you to hurl a boulder and fire lets you spray, like fire breath. But charge up Earth and Fire together and then cast, and it'll throw an awesome fireball at your target. Casting Shield on yourself absorbs damage, but target an area with a Shield/Fire combo will cast a wall of fire. You can slow enemies down with Cold spray and then charge up a powerful attack while they can't get to you - Earth/Fire in particular takes a few seconds to charge up to full power so fast enemies can be difficult to hit with this.

You have a sword for melee attacks and can charge the sword up with the various spells too.

There's also spellbooks you can find during your adventure that give you access to special combinations. For example, Haste can be cast with a Lightning-Arcane-Fire combo on yourself. And when playing with friends, aside form healing each other, you can bring a dead player back to life by casting a Life-Lightning combo on them.

Gameplay is fast-paced and very dynamic with the number of enemies on screen and possible spell combo's available to you. I have to say that the Lightning-Arcane Combo is bloody lethal: a constant beam of red arcane energy infused with electricity that just eats through enemies. And you can keep it going for quite a long time, changing targets by keeping the button clicked and moving the cursor - but it's slow to charge targets. And the visual effects of each spell are colourful and fantastic!

Check out the demo to see what you think - I'm getting it when I get paid tonight I think! :)

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 30th, 2011, 11:00:24 AM
I have seen this advertised loads of times on Steam but never picked it up. I think I'll download the demo now!

Peter McCoy
Apr 30th, 2011, 06:34:12 PM
I've just beaten the Orc Warlord, Khan. No prizes for his movie reference. He was a really difficult fight at first, but easy once you knew the trick and can manage multiple spell casts on the run.

Just tried my hand at survival mode in the arena. Fighting waves of enemies is tough enough, but when chests spawn and once killed they drop spellbooks, it's even worse! I think the spellbook drops are random and without Haste from the start it's really challenging. Luckily I got teleport so was able to get out of harms way. It must be a blast with three other players joining in the mayhem. Be cool to work together in this game - two people to heal, shield and crowd control, and two to dish out the damage. If anybody else gets it then give me a shout.

Tom Harriman
Apr 30th, 2011, 07:21:15 PM
What are the system requirements?

Peter McCoy
May 1st, 2011, 11:58:11 AM
Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900 (Integrated Video Cards not recommended)
DirectX®: DirectX 9
Hard Drive: 2 GB Available Space
Sound: DirectX-compatible sound card

Tom Harriman
May 1st, 2011, 01:23:50 PM
Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900 (Integrated Video Cards not recommended)
DirectX®: DirectX 9
Hard Drive: 2 GB Available Space
Sound: DirectX-compatible sound card

I could use some input on graphics cards when you're online, mate - give me a prod if you get the chance.