PDA

View Full Version : The Final Four

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2011, 06:00:56 PM
I meant to post a March Madness post but was busy wish work and other things. Since we are down the last four, I figured I post one. We have had a lot of upsets in this tournament and the biggest today with little VCU beating Kansas. No #1 seeds are left and the highest seed left is Connecticut who is a #3. So the match ups are VCU vs Butler in the Cinderella game and Cconn vs Kentucky in the match up of traditional powers. I think UConn and Butler will both win and play for the title game. Of course I don't discount VCU considering what they have done.

Figrin D'an
Mar 27th, 2011, 07:23:30 PM
UConn and Kentucky will both just end up vacating whatever they end up winning in about 5 years anyway.

Guess I'll root for Butler. They should have won the title last year, so maybe 2nd time is the charm.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2011, 07:29:29 PM
Why would UConn lose a title? The allegations against Calhoun was about a player who never played a single game for the school. And I have never heard of anything about his current players.

Figrin D'an
Mar 27th, 2011, 09:14:06 PM
Why would UConn lose a title? The allegations against Calhoun was about a player who never played a single game for the school. And I have never heard of anything about his current players.

It was a semi-facetious comment.

I could write an essay about the part that isn't of a joking nature, but it's not worth the time right now, and most people probably wouldn't care anyway.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2011, 11:19:52 PM
Ah okay I understand people don't like Calhoun because of some of the allegations. I am not sure what to believe and I have been biased towards UConn for years now so I am probably the wrong person to look towards an unbiased opinion. I do admit I will be torn if Butler plays UConn since I like both teams.

CMJ
Mar 28th, 2011, 03:59:39 PM
I'm expecting a Kentucky vs Butler final. Great tournament this year.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 28th, 2011, 04:22:17 PM
I think UConn can beat Kentucky. Kentucky has nobody who can guard Walker. Plus UConn and Kentucky are even on the inside and UConn has the better guards because of Walker.

Doesn't help I think Calipari is the biggest weasel in sports. He is such a douche bag for what he did to Memphis.

CMJ
Mar 28th, 2011, 06:17:26 PM
Of course they can beat Kentucky? Anyone can beat anyone! I don't like Kentucky at all - or Calipari for that matter. I just like the way they match up with Kentucky. The Wildcats are way better on the inside IMHO and guards wise it's not that big of an advantage for the Huskies. If Walker goes for 40 then, yeah Connecticut will win.

In the Butler/VCU game, it's gonna boil down the the start of the game and the beginning of the 2nd half. if Butler can avoid being blitzed out of the gate by the Rams press, they will wear them down, like they do to everybody. In retrospect, Duke's win over the Bulldogs last April is one of the most impressive I've seen in years. Not just because it was a helluva game, but because Butler ALWAYS manufactures ways to squeak those sorts of games out in unlikely fashion. They did it about 4 times last year, and 3 already this year.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:26:10 PM
Of course they can beat Kentucky? Anyone can beat anyone! I don't like Kentucky at all - or Calipari for that matter. I just like the way they match up with Kentucky. The Wildcats are way better on the inside IMHO and guards wise it's not that big of an advantage for the Huskies. If Walker goes for 40 then, yeah Connecticut will win.

In the Butler/VCU game, it's gonna boil down the the start of the game and the beginning of the 2nd half. if Butler can avoid being blitzed out of the gate by the Rams press, they will wear them down, like they do to everybody. In retrospect, Duke's win over the Bulldogs last April is one of the most impressive I've seen in years. Not just because it was a helluva game, but because Butler ALWAYS manufactures ways to squeak those sorts of games out in unlikely fashion. They did it about 4 times last year, and 3 already this year.

I will admit I am biased but still see UConn winning because of the way they have played the last month. About the Calipari stuff I don't like him, although I am heavily influenced by a close friend of mine who went to Memphis. She hates him and she has told me a lot of stories. Oh well we shall see what happens. I also think Butler will win. They are having a great run. I wouldn't be shocked to see them win it all this year.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2011, 11:01:21 PM
UConn barely survived over Kentucky. It was a great game though and went down to the wire. Butler played a great game over VCU pulling out the victory. so the stage is now set for UConn vs Butler I am pulling for UConn and think they will win a close game over Butler. It should be amazing championship game.

CMJ
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:56:57 AM
If the game is close, I like Butler.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:39:59 PM
UConn has pulled off close games as well. I think Walker will be the key. I am not sure if Butler has anybody who can stop him and he has shown he can hit game winning shots.

CMJ
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:50:31 PM
Nored is the best on ball defender I've seen in like five years. I know Connecticut can win close games, but if it's a 4 point game (either way) at the three minute mark - I like Butler. If the Huskies are up by 5 or more they'll win.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:31:05 PM
Well, we shall see. I think it will be a great game either way.

Figrin D'an
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:29:11 PM
I enjoy good half-court defense ... but this was just an ugly, ugly game. Pretty pathetic way to end one of the more crazy modern era tournaments.

I won't be surprised if Jim Calhoun decides to retire.

CMJ
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:31:44 PM
Connecticut got in Butler's heads I believe. The Bulldogs missed numerous shots 6 feet and in. All credit to UConn.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:36:31 PM
One of the ugliest games I have ever seen from a college game (I have seen worse in the NBA). UConn's defense won this game along with their rebounding and inside presence. I think this was the lowest scoring Final since the 1950s. Fig, I could see Calhoun retiring after this win.