PDA

View Full Version : Battle: Los Angeles

Park Kraken
Mar 11th, 2011, 11:26:10 PM
Just saw this movie this evening. I will definitly be going to see this movie again in theatres. Saw it in 2D (not sure if they released it anywhere in 3D, but IMO it would look terrible if they did), and had a blast. To me it was everything that I4 should have been, and more, with the latest in graphics technology.

They didn't introduce the use of nuclear weapons (although small yield warheads may have intended to be used in the B-52 and A-10 raid that never happened). I also laughed my butt off on the 'First Date' and 'I'd rather be in Afghanistan' scenes.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 12th, 2011, 05:42:30 AM
I saw the trailer before Unknown and felt totally underwhelmed.

Park Kraken
Mar 12th, 2011, 05:29:33 PM
The trailers don't really do the movie much justice. I've done a little research and it appears that the critics either universally hate it or just find it mediocre, while most of the audiences that have seen it loved it.

I've heard from sources that Battle: LA was the first of about twelve similar movies planned to come out, along with a 13th movie combining aspects of all 12.

Chaz de Coventina
Mar 13th, 2011, 04:06:13 PM
Am I crazy or was this on television last night? I swear we flipped by a movie by the same title. :huh

Anna Fernandez
Mar 13th, 2011, 04:48:34 PM
Syfy Original "Battle OF Los Angeles"

Just a rip off from the title.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 14th, 2011, 12:26:46 PM
And this film looks like a rip off of Independence Day.

Park Kraken
Mar 14th, 2011, 01:35:48 PM
Funny you should mention that Jen, I've been thinking about similarities between this film and I4. Battle sequences both take place in LA. But really there aren't too many similarities. I4 is told largely from a civilian's perspective, whereas B:LA is told from a marine's perspective the entire time.

There are sequel films planned, that I assume from what I've heard would take place in the other cities under assault, told from that country's perspective. I would love to see SAS and/or Spetsnaz vs this breed of alien invaders.

btw, everyone keeps talking about how the USA single handidly defeated the alien invaders during the movie, which is blatantly false. The Marines inflict a setback defeat on the Alien Invaders that allows them time to regroup and launch a counterattack, but the issue as to whether or not humanity actually wins is still up in the air when the film ends.

Mu Satach
Mar 14th, 2011, 03:20:25 PM
Initially felt underwhelmed by the trailer as well. Had planned to see the Adjustment Bureau this weekend, but on the way to the theater my friend and I decided to see this instead, felt more like a mash up between the Hurt Locker and Cloverfield than Independence Day.

Rather enjoyed it.

btw, everyone keeps talking about how the USA single handidly defeated the alien invaders during the movie, which is blatantly false. The Marines inflict a setback defeat on the Alien Invaders that allows them time to regroup and launch a counterattack, but the issue as to whether or not humanity actually wins is still up in the air when the film ends.

Anyone who thinks that the ending was the end of the war is a complete idiot. All the group did was prove the alien invader's weren't unstoppable. I walked out thinking, "nice set up for a Battlefield London or Rio"

Reshmar
Mar 14th, 2011, 10:12:01 PM
I thought it was a great show. Go see it!

Crusader
Apr 26th, 2011, 03:31:20 PM
Wow what a ride... this movie is really great and I really liked the scope of the story telling and the way the invaders were presented. You really got the feeling that some people put a lot of thought into the alien designs. Those aliens are not one trick ponies like in other Sci Fi films and the way they explain the villain decay shows that they put a lot more thoughts into this than most movies:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoweredMonsterDifficulty