PDA

View Full Version : Rancor Games

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 28th, 2011, 09:25:54 PM
Aboard the Challenger, Loklorien s'Ilancy had the distinction of being the Wheel's contact with Alliance Command, procuring the always necessary items that kept the Jedi fleet in operating order. She was a slight if not commanding presence, clothed in the familiar uniform of the Alliance's forces. She was still a Jedi, but her role placed her in the unique position.

Aboard the Dauntless however, her appearance and duties were changed dramatically. Rather than the crisp uniform those on the Wheel had become used to seeing her in, the Lupine wore the familiar robes of the Jedi Knights. She was, first and foremost, the General's council. His aide and assistant, she helped him in all things.

And so it was in this latter state that the Lupine Jedi stood in the Dauntless' cavernous hangar bay, hands folded into the wide sleeves of her robe as she waited for the arrival of the man she'd chosen to accompany her on the task set out before her.

The normal sounds and smells of the hangar were things that she'd long ago become accustomed to; deck crews hurrying to and fro, maintenance personnel clustered in pockets and spending their time either under or inside the fighters that called Dauntless their home.

It wouldn't be long now, before Henry McDonnaught would arrive, and with a calm expression, s'Il watched with half-closed eyes at the goings on around her.

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 1st, 2011, 08:05:47 PM
Henry delivered himself aboard the Dauntless, metal kit-box hoisted up on one shoulder, looking more an adventurer than an elite fighter pilot. It was, however, significant that he'd shaved for the occassion and was dressed in a crisp, fresh uniform even though he wasn't completely certain what his official status was to be on this mission. Attache'? Personal guard? Cabana boy? This last was a ridiculous fancy, but Donut had not yet given up on that dream. In truth, he had not been advised just what this assignment entailed, nor for how long his service would be required, so he had assumed it would be longer as opposed to shorter and brought everything he owned - a fact evidenced by the thudding of his kit-box as he lowered it at the awaiting Jedi's feet.

"I hope Im not late, Master s'Ilancy" he said straightening and brandishing his usual grin, "I had to say my goodbyes to all the young damsels that I leave behind. So many hearts to break, so little time to do it in." He lifted his eyes and looked about him, openly impressed with the obvious efficiency of the crew organizing and setting cargo in preparation of departure. "Is the Admiral around?" he asked casually. Henry would never admit it, but he was nervous to meet him, given the designs Donut had on the old man's wife. "I assume he knows Im coming" he added in an uncertain and lowered voice.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 1st, 2011, 08:47:04 PM
It was a knowing grin that she gave him, and s'Il angled her gaze up from his kit-box to his face. Henry, it seemed, was always ready to interject any amount of levity whenever he could, and his attitude had quickly become one that never failed bring a smile to her lips. Her eye traveled from his face then, to go over his wrinkle-free and spotless uniform, and she gave a nod of silent approval.

"He is in his office," she answered presently while waving a deckhand over.

With explicit instructions to the crewman on where to store Henry's possessions, s'Il slightly turned on her heel, one arm going out to indicate that the Rogue pilot walk with her towards the yawning archway that served as one of the many entrances and exits of the hangar.

"And he is quite keen on meeting you."

This last bit was said with a teasing, crooked twist at the corner of her mouth.

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 1st, 2011, 09:47:02 PM
"Keen?" the word came out raspier than he would have liked, "Really? Well, Im keen to meet him too" he said couragously. "He's got quite a reputation, not to mention Im curious about a man who has held your unwaivering interest for so many, many years." The irrascable tone was back.

"Quite the vessell you have here" Henry remarked conversationally as they made their way through the wide corridors, the ships' framework changing from utilitarian to a more polished finish the deeper into the ship they moved. "Can you give me any idea what my job is while Im here? Not that any assignment to the Dauntless isnt regarded by myself to be a great opportunity" he quickly quantified, "its just, Im a little in the dark. Im thinking another man with piloting skills aboard such a grand craft isn't going to be making much of a difference in the overall scheme of things. He doesn't know about, you know..?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 3rd, 2011, 05:34:15 PM
Her eyes stayed forward as they walked, turning corners and weaving ever deeper into the belly of the Dauntless.

"About what... our dinner? Of course he does; I told him."

Pausing at the door to a lift, she cast a sidelong look to him, a reassuring set to her features.

"It is one of the reasons that he shows interest in meeting you. I told him that you wish for something a bit less isolated, and he agreed with my decision to have you be a part of a diplomatic mission that I've been putting off for too long now."

The doors of the lift opened, letting out two officers who nodded to both Jedi and pilot as they passed by, and with a gesture, the Lupine bade that Henry enter first.

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 3rd, 2011, 11:06:25 PM
Henry gave a reciprocating nod to the officers as they exited, not really paying them much attention - his focus being held effortlessly by s'Ilancy and her close proximity.

Her answer had reassured him, although Henry hadn't meant their dinner so much as he had his infatuation with the Jedi - but perhaps s'Il knew that.

"I appreciate you speaking for me" he said, "and I promise you wont be sorry for it. You look lovely, by the way" he added, and as she leant past him to press the button on the wall panel, illuminating their destination level, Henry caught the scent of her hair and he had to fight the urge to pass his fingers through its glossy strands.

"A diplomatic mission, huh?" He was curious - were they to make new friends or try to keep old ones, he wondered.
"Anyone I know?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 4th, 2011, 11:56:53 AM
"Oh I doubt it," she smiled easily, leaning back to stand up straight as the lift began its' ascent, and once more her arms folded together, hands clasped in front her her.

Henry's compliment didn't go unnoticed either, and she gave a faint heh, her easy smile shifting ever so much to make it somewhat wry. It was so different, hearing Henry's directness rather that Sanis' roundabout accidental admissions, and it was refreshing in its' own way. But, it still did not change anything, and the Lupine nodded in thanks before once more returning to the business at hand.

"It isn't something particularly danger-filled, I'm sorry to say, but I thought that - with your desire to work outside of the Wheel - it would be a refreshing break from your normal schedules."

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 5th, 2011, 09:19:25 PM
"It is, it is" Henry assured her, "and if i can repay you in any way - any way at all - you just let me know"

A subtle 'ding' sounded and the turbo lift doors retracted open.

"I am forever in your debt, s'Ilancy. Or...what should I call you, officially that is?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 5th, 2011, 09:39:47 PM
"Here, Master s'Ilancy will be adequate enough," she answered as they stepped from the lift and out onto the bridge. Stretching out beyond them was a plethora of officer's and assistants, all engrossed in their own tasks and duties. A few looked up at the arrival of their resident Jedi and her guest, nodding politely and some even offering a casual salute to Henry.

Dan was nowhere to be seen, but that was expected as, if he wasn't on the bridge, he was in his office.

Veering to the left, s'Il led the way to the non-descript door that was the entrance to the General's private grounds - of course, most knew that it was as much her office as it was his. It hadn't taken long for them to figure out who took the General's dictations, made his formal requests, and sent out his orders. They also found a small bit of relief, in that their resident Jedi had much more legible handwriting than their commanding officer (which was also why her trips to the Wheel, and subsequent absences were cause for frustration among them).

Lifting an arm, s'Il depressed the entry button without bothering to sound the chime, and the door opened with the slightest of sounds. The General, as always, was engrossed in his reading; briefing reports and scattered datapads littering his desk.

When he didn't look up, s'Il broke the silence with a quiet, level voice.

"You have a guest."

General Dan
Mar 5th, 2011, 10:11:02 PM
"Ah."

Dan set aside his recent communique, clearing his desk in a few short motions as he rose from his seat.

"Lieutenant McDonnaught, I presume?"

s'Il had kept him briefed on her involvement with Henry, and this would be the first time he would meet him.

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 5th, 2011, 10:21:05 PM
Ridiculously, Henry's mouth went dry as a desert stone. He was conscious of s'Ilancy beside him, speaking, and of a sudden cloying sweat breaking out on his body. Face to face with her husband, all Henry's guilty thoughts paraded themselves through his head like a military tattoo, banners of lust and infidelity flying high and flapping incriminatingly in the breeze. Donut fell on navy discipline to save him from falling to his knees and blurting out that he couldn't help himself! She's just so gorgeous! He snapped a salute.

"General, it is an honor to be aboard, Sir"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 5th, 2011, 10:36:24 PM
It wasn't difficult to sense the sudden wash of emotions coming from Henry, and s'Il folded her hands in front of her, dipping her head in silent greeting to her husband. Of course, within the confines of his office their partnership took on the added facet of their own official duties, but it was an easy roll to step into, an easy transition to make. After all, they had been together for long enough that it was effortless to know what each other needed or wanted.

The Jedi lifted her chin, taking her eyes from Henry to look back at Dan.

She'd not exactly gone into the specifics of Henry's infatuation, but there had been no need.

General Dan
Mar 5th, 2011, 10:43:29 PM
"Always glad to have a skilled pilot aboard."

Dan reciprocated the salute in a more casual fashion afforded to seniority. He stepped from around his desk, and opted to shake the man's hand.

"I understand you've flown with distinction with Rogue Squadron. That's quite a decorated outfit."

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 9th, 2011, 08:08:56 PM
Henry reached forward to join his hand to the one Dan offered, "I do my duty" he mumbled. It was not false humility McDonnaught presented, but a statement of honest conviction. "And I've been lucky" he added with a kilted smile.
"I am pleased to offer my service."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 16th, 2011, 05:57:45 PM
s'Il turned her attentions back to Henry, giving him a small, reassuring smile.

"I've asked Henry to accompany me to Endor for my meeting with Colonel Jaff."

"Defectors," she clarified for Henry, "They'd been left behind on Endor to salvage anything of use in the debris of the second Death Star, and when the Empire never returned for them, they contacted us.

"We will be cautious, naturally, but the preliminary groundwork has been laid, and the General asked that I take over the official duties of integrating them into the Alliance networks."

A strange look passed over her features; one of amusement at some inside joke shared only between herself and Dan.

"He seems to think that I'll be able to 'sniff out' any duplicitous intentions."

General Dan
Mar 16th, 2011, 10:53:48 PM
"And of course, if there are any, it pays to have a pilot with a good resume on hand to get out of trouble."

Dan nodded in agreement with it all.

"I can't ask you both to be more careful than you need to be. I can't divert the fleet that far off our home sector to arrange a rescue if you get snared, so it's important to stay frosty out there."

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:38:21 PM
Henry had arched an eyebrow at the revelation of defectors - that was a tricky business. How could you trust anyone that had served the other side? And if they turned on their first loyalties, what's to stop them turning on their new ones? But s'Il and the General would have already considered that and so who was he to question.

"Im not the trusting type, General, and so you can be assured I'll be taking no chances where Master s'Ilancy's safety is concerned" He paused for a moment, wondering if it were to just be himself and Lok in the 'rescue' party. "How many defectors are there, may I ask, Sir?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 26th, 2011, 04:28:55 PM
s'Il answered for the General.

"It is not a large party. Maybe a small squad's worth of men. I'd say about ten at the most. From what we've been able to gather, some of their number fell sick with disease, and others were killed by the indigenous life on Endor."

She clasped her hands before her.

"Colonal Jaff seemed desperate to be 'rescued', as he put it, in our last communication."

General Dan
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:47:47 PM
"I've made available resources aboard Dauntless for your mission. If you're needing any mission-specific upgrades or weapons, you've got the pick of the litter as it were."

Dan looked from Henry to Lok, and back.

"Any other questions?"

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 26th, 2011, 07:51:52 PM
Henry mirrored the look from Dan to Lok and back again, expelling a loud breath in place of words as they escaped him momentarily, that was, until he had a thought.."Weapons, you say?"
He'd sure like to take a look.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 26th, 2011, 08:04:13 PM
This made her smile, and s'Il took a small step back, angling a bit to the side and towards the door.

"We don't want to be unprepared for anything," she almost laughed.

With an extended arm, the Lupine gestured to the closed door.

"Shall we go?"

From here she knew that it would be only Henry and herself; Dan would choose to stay, and resume his own duties and tasks. This mission had been asked of her, and she had asked that Henry be added to the duty roster; it was certainly a temporary assignment for him, but often enough such things led to permanence.

As an afterthought, s'Il turned to regard Dan.

"By your leave, General?"

General Dan
Mar 26th, 2011, 08:50:00 PM
"Of course."

Dan still wasn't used to the pomp of military protocol when it wasn't expected, and he aped a casual salute with two fingers coming up to his brow.

"Dismissed."

Henry McDonnaught
Mar 26th, 2011, 09:12:20 PM
Snapping to, Donut pressed his lips together to stop himself from grinning like a smashed cat and saluted the General. This was gonna be awesome. New guns, a fancy new mission and, damnation, s'Ilancy all to himself! Well, if you didn't count a half-dozen turncoats and a few tagalong subordinates, they would be practically alone in the universe!

The General barely glimpsed at him, already turning to other matters spread in gathered sheets on his desk. Henry tried not to feel what he did for s'Ilancy. He did. Especially since, well, he had to. Now, working so close to her, directly under her husbands command. Before, his infatuation had been a dream, something to get him through the long days and even longer nights. Once she'd revealed she was married and had no interest beyond friendship, Henry knew she could only ever be his private little fantasy.

Though they both were stationed on The Wheel, she was still literally a thousand parsecs away doing her Jedi duties, managing the myriad of problems and logistical needs that presented themselves daily to her office, while he existed in the monotony of drills, routine scouting and docking runs for the seemingly endless newly arriving ships to the Jedi construct.

But this was different, they were working together, on the same mission, at the same time. And now he'd met her husband in person, face to face and looked him in the eye. McDonnaught quailed in shame at his own audacity to still harbor designs on s'Ilancy, no matter how impossible. He would have to reign his imagination in, that was all there was to it. Focus on getting the job done. Do the mission.

He followed the blonde Jedi from the room and despite his most noble intentions, could'nt help but drop his gaze and admire her finely shaped backside, evident despite those awful bloody Jedi robes.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:07:02 PM
It was only after the lift's doors closed, shutting them off from the bridge and sending them back down into the Dauntless' belly that she finally spoke. With hands folded in the wide sleeves of her robe, s'Il cast a sideways look to Henry. There was a trace of a knowing grin on her lips, and a single eyebrow rose in a halfway impressed expression.

She had felt his eyes on her; it did not take a Jedi to know that.

"You, are a very brave man."

Henry McDonnaught
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:35:48 PM
"I dont know what you mean" Henry lobbed back, doing some eyebrow-arching of his own before allowing a smile to break his face.

"Listen, Im not going to do anything to frell this up" he assured her, becoming serious "And I certainly would never, ever make things difficult for you in any circumstance. You've been very clear" he turned to stand formally forward to the turbolift doors, much like a subordinate should, and allowed his body language to podium some respectable distance between them. "I'm grateful just to be around you and to see you. To share some meagre portion of your life, for duty - if thats all that is available to me."

He cricked his neck from side to side to relieve his own tension - his little self-sacrifice speech had cost him much more than his easy manner might suggest.

"Now, the General (s'Il would notice he didnt say husband) said something about guns?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 7th, 2011, 07:46:07 PM
"He says many things about any number of subjects," she answered cryptically, noting his reference to Dan as 'General'.

She watched him, noting his stance and the way he spoke; his tone of voice and inflections. It was all a curious thing to her, and interesting to observe.

The lift slowed to a stop, and as the doors opened, she gestured for Henry to precede her out and into the corridor.

"But, the 'old man' has agreed to provide us with what we need to accomplish our objectives, yes."

Henry McDonnaught
Apr 7th, 2011, 08:10:14 PM
Henry darted in front of the Jedi and then walked/sauntered backwards, "Old Man huh?" Well, wasn't that interesting? She'd used his term.

He pivoted around and fell in step again to walk beside s'Ilancy.

"You know, I had and Old Man once. He was a surly sonofabitch"

Despite the unflattering remark, Henry's tone held a warmth and affection within it.

"He used to toss us boys-my cousin and me-off the roof of the house and say - Fly, ye knights of the Atmos-Feeeeeeeeeaaaaaar!!!!!" Donut laughed out loud at the remeberance of it. Geez...he hadn't thought of that in years.

"He was always doing stupid stuff like that - smackin' us on the back with with the flat of his wood-axe (he was a logs-man that laboured some times down on Endor) and yell, "Ahhhh!.....Its another sneak att-axe!"

"Spose he thought he was funny" Henry mused aloud, smiling as they turned into a corridor that was clearly leading to the armory.

"Dont spose the General jokes about much?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:23:55 PM
She found herself smiling at him, watching his antics and listening as he easily told her stories from his youth. It was enough to make her think back on her own past, and though hers was not exactly as happy as his, it still made her grin despite it all.

So much so, that his question caught her by surprise.

"He does," she answered finally, "... though no usually on purpose."

She allowed a bit of a far-off look.

"His generation and mine... we've found that there's a bit of a discrepancy when interacting with those younger than us."

They turned a corner, and the large archway that led into the hangar loomed a small distance ahead.

"We're still a bit old-fashioned, I'm afraid."

Henry McDonnaught
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:47:53 PM
"He might be old fashioned, but you're certainly not." Henry resisted the urge to tap her playfully on her nose, "Not in any negative sense of the term, anyway" he added, for clarification.

Henry couldn't imagine the General joking around, although he could picture Dan tossing him off a roof and laughing while he did it, quite easily enough.

"..And old fashioned is vastly different from 'dated'" he continued. "The old school ways are lots of times the best ways. It's mostly the young no-brainer types who think that change is automatically better. Take this, for example ---" and Donut spread his arms expansively as they moved through the doorway, "there isn't a much more dazzling thing than an old fashioned, ass-kickin' arraignment of weaponry, just like this!"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 8th, 2011, 08:05:35 PM
This stopped her, and standing immobile in the threshold of the arching doorway, s'Il stood up a little straighter. Her shoulders hitched back a little, and she tilted her head to one side, regarding Henry with a curious gaze. His reaction had not entirely been what she'd expected, and she began to wonder just what his preconceived notions of her were. Did he truly think her so young?

With hands still folded in the sleeves of her robes, the elder Lupine brought them apart to fall at her sides.

"Henry, how old exactly do you think I am... ?"

Henry McDonnaught
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:54:49 AM
Henry got immediately nervous. What kind of damn dangerous question was that for a woman to ask a man?
He rubbed the back of his neck as he hedged about for the right answer. Did she want him to say younger than he thought? Or did she want him to be honest? And what if he was wrong, how offended would she be if he answered older than she really was? Ugh, what a loaded question to put to a man.

"Er.."

Henry new that she was older than him by some years, maybe even as much as ten. Couldn't be much more than that. And he sure didn't give Shindorian ale if it were twice that much. Only females seemed to put alot of stock in a number.

He decided to say exactly what he thought.

"Im guessing you're between 38 and 43. Hmm, isnt this a great gun" he said hefting up an absurdly large repeater rifle, afraid to see her face fall or laugh at his guess.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:01:58 PM
His answer caused a soft expression on her face, and s'Il stepped the rest of the way into the hangar, approaching the small area where munitions cases had been set aside. They'd been arranged neatly, the deck crews having followed their orders perfectly.

"It's nice, yes," she answered while moving to stand beside Henry.

A hand came up, giving a gentle pat to his shoulder, and another moment passed before she too reached down to pull out a simple, unassuming carbine. It was a dose of nostalgia to heft the weapon, and she suspected that Dan had included the older model expressly for her to take. It reminded her of the old days.

"Your guess is a sweet one, so perhaps we should leave it at that."

Moving onward, the Lupine took their conversation bac to the mission ahead of them.

"I would recommend packing light."

Henry McDonnaught
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:46:24 PM
"Ok"

His answer served as reply to both of s'Ilancy's suggestions, but it was a reserved one, at best. He wasn't satisfied with the vague generalities she was only willing to share about her. Plus, he liked the big gun.

Henry felt her reaction to be one of, well he wasn't quite sure, sadness? Inevitability? Pity? One didn't need the skills of a force-user to read between the lines, but right now he would be glad of it.

He replaced the rifle, exchanging it for a shorter, lighter sub-blaster that came with a small grenade-launch attachment.

"Why do you do that?" he asked s'Ilancy sweeping her for the barest moment with a completely unguarded look before lowing his eyes again toward the gun, "Dismiss me as not worth knowing things about you, do you think I wont understand?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:33:22 PM
She frowned at that, an unconscious downturn of her lips as she set the carbine off to the side, careful to lean it up against an adjoining crate. Her gaze returned to the small cache of weaponry still waiting to be inspected.

"I do not mean to offend," her voice was low, meant for him only to hear.

"And I do not mean my answer as a dismissal, though I suppose I can see how it could be taken as such."

One hand went out, fingers waggling a little bit to bring his eyes back to her.

She held his gaze for a few silent moments, then with a satisfied nod went on.

"I am fifty standard years old. I lived through Order 66, and spent the next years after that fighting with a fledgling Rebellion. I spent twenty years in self-imposed exile on Cathar thinking that I could leave the war behind me. I couldn't."

Stopping, she let the quiet hang between them before her hand came up again, and her smile returned as she gave his cheek an almost motherly pat.

"Let us start with that then, yes?"

Henry McDonnaught
Apr 17th, 2011, 02:22:02 PM
"Twenty two years" he repeated softly. She'd spent almost half her life in exile, exchanging a violent past for a future of hiding from it. He couldn't help but feel the unfairness of her being forced to make such a choice so young in life. And now she was back, to fight all over again.

"Youre a fine woman, Lok" he said after a moment. He felt humbled by her courage and the simple manner in which she mininalized it. "We'll win this war, if more of us are like you."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 18th, 2011, 05:37:41 PM
"And you're a kind man, Henry."

Affording him a wink and a crooked smile, s'Il turned to once more inspect the weapons that had been so carefully nestled in the crate. There were many to choose from, and she knew that the other crates held more of the same. For her, the simple older style carbine would be enough. She had her lightsabre as well, and any other weapon outside of those two would be a hindrance.

Footsteps could be heard, and s'Il turned to settle her gaze on a tall, rangy officer. Lines creased his sun-bleached face, and hazel eyes were set far apart over a hawk-like nose and thin-lipped mouth. His shoulders were hitched back, and his gait was almost energetic to the point of being forced - it was easy to tell that this man hadn't always worn a uniform, and his right hand seemed to periodically pass closely against his side as though a rifle was slung over his shoulder.

"Dage," the Jedi greeted him warmly as he slowed to a stop, nodding a greeting.

"Lok."

"It seems that Dan has enjoyed putting together our tools for this mission."

"Aw hell, Gen'ral just wishes he was going too. Can't say I blame him, it's been a long time since we were on the front end of these sorts of things. Least you get to hop out for the odd spell here and there... "

Dage gave a bit of a longing look to the weapons. "I envy you, Kha-girl."

And as if shaking himself from his inner thoughts and long-ago memories, Dage turned his eyes to Henry.

"You're the Rogue then?"

He stuck his hand out to shake Henry's, eschewing the customary salute. "Colonel Dage."

Henry McDonnaught
Jul 25th, 2011, 12:25:02 AM
"Colonel" Henry greeted, taking an instinctive liking to him.
"Henry McDonnaught, but most people call me Donut."

There was an easy rappore between Dage and s'Ilancy and Henry felt enfolded into their comraderie.

"Any advice for us Colonel?" Henry ventured.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 30th, 2011, 09:28:10 PM
Dage regarded Henry for a moment, the a slowly creeping smile spread over his features.

"I suppose the best I can give you is to never play 'My Apologies' with her - "

s'Il, in the act of reaching for the carbine that she'd set aside, turned a feigned look of rebuke to her old friend and gave a few disapproving tsk's.

The Colonel, with mischief in his eyes, clapped a hand to Henry's shoulder, gave a wink, and leaned in to the pilot's ear.

"...She's a sore loser."

Henry McDonnaught
Jul 31st, 2011, 02:00:36 PM
"Ohh" Henry gave a tentative laugh, knowing there was a joke somewhere but not quite catching it.

"What's My Apologies?"

He'd never heard of the game before, sounded like a truth and tell type of deal, which ways always a bad idea to play with the opposite sex..

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 31st, 2011, 02:42:40 PM
"It is a terrible game that the General and the Colonel introduced me to a very long time ago," she explained while closing the lids on two of the weapons lockers that would be going with them.

A quick gesture to a small group of deck hands, and they hurried over to heft the crates up before making their way to a long range shuttle which would be used for the mission.

"Something to do with impairing as many times as possible the other player's game pieces as they try to finish the game."

She gave Dage another look, then turned to Henry.

"I never finished an entire game."

Henry McDonnaught
Jul 31st, 2011, 03:06:06 PM
"Well," Henry looked at Dage with a new appreciation, "I am impressed - I cant imagine s'Il being an easy beat."

The crew began loading the crates and Henry reached out for a parting handshake with Dage, "Maybe you'll let me buy you a beer some day and you can give me a few pointers" he said with a friendly smile.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 31st, 2011, 03:33:06 PM
Dage, with a wide smile, accepted the offered handshake with a firm grip.

(I)"I never refuse a free drink, Donut. I look forward to it when you get back."(/i)

For her part, s'Il gave her old friend a small embrace before she and Henry began the short trek to the shuttle.

"Be glad that you were not around back in the day. Dan, Dage, and another friend of ours named Kori used to make gunnery hooch in old concussion missile tubes."

She made a face.

"It smelled like paint thinner and tasted worse, but those three were so proud of it."

Henry McDonnaught
Jul 31st, 2011, 04:38:21 PM
"Of course" Donut replied, implying that any booze a man made with his own hands was to be held in the highest esteem, regardless of taste or smell. "They sound like good times" he added, thinking he would have liked to have been a part of it. He hoped s'Il would regard their adventures together with even part of the same fondness.

"So" he said, moving on to the task ahead of them, "Do you know anything more about our soon-to-be comrades other than they've had a belly full of the Empire?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 31st, 2011, 05:05:45 PM
"Only what I've been able to read from their files, which admittedly is not much I'm afraid."

The shuttle's hatch was open, and its' boarding ramp extended. Without ceremony, s'Il led the way up.

Pausing after stepping past the threshold, the Jedi shared a few parting words with the head deck hand as he and his small cadre - their task of loading the lockers completed - filed their way down the ramp.

"I do know however," she went on once she and Henry were alone once more, "... That we'll not have to worry over disrupting any sort of delicate circumstances. These men are desperate to escape Endor, and their loyalties to the Empire are decidedly severed."

It was a small distance through the shuttle's main body and onto the bridge, where s'Il gestured for Henry to take the pilot's seat.

Henry McDonnaught
Aug 4th, 2011, 08:51:56 PM
Taking on the more-than-comfortable mantle of intrepid fighter pilot, Henry navigated himself smoothly into the chair as instructed and began his pre-flight ritual of check and double-check, "Prepare to be wow-ed" he flipped coolly to a chorus of clicks and snaps.

"It'll be nice to be the welcome liberator for a change." Instead of being the guy against the ropes, as alot of the Rogue missions usually were, Henry thought to himself.

"This sure is a pretty ship" he remarked, running appreciative hands over the steering consol. Nothing but the best for Gen'rl Dan. He stole a side-glance at s'Il, case in point.

"You tapped in our co-ordinate grid?" Henry asked her, knowing she had, but feeling the need to say something to prove his mind was on-task.

"We're looking at a bit of a jaunt across the stars, Mistress Lok"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 4th, 2011, 11:14:29 PM
In the process of fastening her crash web harness, s'Il froze, the buckle not quite latched. She gave a sheepish wince, and turned to look at Henry with a strange look on her face.

"Yes, about all that," she started, finally clicking the buckle closed.

"I'm afraid I'm a bit... " a slight pause, and the Lupine's brow knit as her next words were rushed out, "... I don't exactly know how to input anything to be honest."

An apologetic shrug was given to him.

"I rather try to avoid smaller ships when able."

Turning away, s'Il gave a sigh while propping an elbow up on the armrest.

"I am curse by space-sickness."

Henry McDonnaught
Aug 6th, 2011, 02:03:21 PM
His smile faltered. "Space sickness?"

Henry was taken aback as that was the last thing he'd expected. "Oh"he managed to say.

He quickly shifted from concern to amusement however, s'Il's dejected look making it difficult for him to keep serious. She obviously did not like having any sort of weakness, even something as small as space sickness. "Do you want to go lay down?" he asked while he began programming the Nav system, avoiding looking directly at her.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 6th, 2011, 07:00:14 PM
She shook her head.

"I'll be well enough."

It was so reflexive now, focusing on an immovable spot and not looking out the viewport. Even as Henry brought the shuttle up and slowly ease from the main docking berth, she never let her gaze stray. And when the massive outline of the hangar bay shifted to open space, she settled herself more comfortably.

"You would think that after so many years it would go away, but no matter how many times I was stuck in a snubfighter back in the day, or however many shuttles I've been aboard, it's always the same."

The Lupine gave a little self-deprecating laugh at her own expense, and as the navicomp beeped in confirmation that it'd finished its' computations and awaited Henry's activation, she partially changed the subject.

"But you. You enjoy those small ships, don't you?"

Henry McDonnaught
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:09:41 PM
"Are you kiddin?" Henry shifted slightly in his seat like a cat sinking onto its favourite cushion, "I live for this, right here" The vast expanse of light dotted on a black velvet canvas opened up before them and McDounnaught drew in a deep, satisfied breath. "Endless possibility. And endless challenge" he turned a side wink to s'Il. "Its the stuff boys who grow into pilots dream of. Nothing to say what has to be, its all unwritten and all in the palms of your own hands" he said, tapping the consol then he laughed softly, "You never knew I was the romantic type, did you?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:42:15 PM
His laugh was rather infectious.

"I seem to learn a little bit more about you each time we are together," she grinned.

Henry piloted the shuttle with ease, and s'Il knew that she was in safe hands. After all, who better than a Rogue to accompany her? There were only a very few that she felt safe piloting her about, and Henry was quickly showing himself to be more than qualified to join those small numbers.

"I've a feeling that you'd be able to fly a wagon with paper-board wings."

Henry McDonnaught
Aug 13th, 2011, 05:12:42 PM
"Only for a little ways" he bantered back.

"Ive flown some death-traps in my time and came close to a firey end once or twice, but it was mostly the ships that pulled me through the tough sposts. They all got courage in 'em" Henry said sincerely, "a good pilot just knows how to draw it out"

He relaxed into his chair, the Navcom had them on course and, for now atleast, the going was easy.

"I've only been to Endor once before. Cant say I cared much for all those big, brooding forrests. They're a bit gloomy. Im a beach lover, myself and dont let the pale complexion fool you - underneath all this pasty white flesh beats the heart of a sun worshiper. I just haven't had the chance to laze about in it for a while.."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 14th, 2011, 08:53:54 AM
"Well then perhaps I should recommend your next mission be to Aquilaris (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aquilaris)? I'm sure I could persuade Alliance Command that your presence is needed there for some reason or another."

She gave him a wink and a rather lopsided smirk.

She felt the drop from hyperspace, her eyes blinking as the sensation - almost imperceptible for most - made her frown. Ensconced in one of the two small bunks aboard the small craft, s'Il looked up from the leatherbound journal that she'd been writing in. Her stylus paused in its' movements, and a moment later she set it down while leaning back in her seat.

Pulling in a deep breath, the Lupine drew inward of the Force. She had been to Endor before (http://75.126.43.122/forum/showthread.php?t=13753), the experience a taxing one, and reaching forward to the journal she pulled a sabacc card from its' place toward the back of the book.

Two of Masters.

And just as she had done years ago, s'Il turned the card so that she could see the face.

The Evil One.

Her ears ticked back. Her eyes narrowed to angry slits.

She had returned.

Henry McDonnaught
Aug 14th, 2011, 12:59:37 PM
Beside her, Henry's voice crackled over the intercom.

"Nosing her into the Imps the driveway now, Master s'Ilancy, if you wanna come up and wave hello"

McDonnaught maneuvered the craft over the treetops to a large clearing where a landing pad awaited. On his scanner, he could see outlined several pillbox-towers dotting the circumference of the area, but only one of these housed a warm body. Guests weren't offen expected in this neck of the woods, Henry supposed.

Below him were the silver-domed rooftops of barracks and buildings and a few straggling men, who resembled ants from this height, scurrying out of them. Underwhelming, to say the least.

"Be ready boys" Henry instructed the soldiers who were all forming up with their gear for their arrival. "We aren't expecting any biters of the hands here to feed them down there, but lets not have any surprises eh?"

Colonel Jaff
Aug 14th, 2011, 02:14:14 PM
How long had he been stranded here? How long had his men had to survive through countless nights of nightmares? How many men had he lost for that matter? In truth it'd only been a few years, but those two years had felt like an utter eternity. Sleepless nights had a way of lengthening any duration of time.

Stepping out into daylight, Colonel Emerit Jaff shielded his eyes from the sun as it was just reaching its' zenith, watching as the shape of a small transport shuttle slowly descended from the sky. His weathered photosensitive spectacles had seen better days without doubt, but they were still in one piece at least, and their darkened shade help ease the strain on his eyes.

His men hurried around him, gathering their meager possessions in silence.

Just behind him, his second in command was also looking upward.

"Think they've room enough for us all?"

Jaff frowned and gave a world-weary sigh.

"Not many of us left, Crill. We'll fit."

Licking his lips, the Colonel continued to watch.

In the very back of his mind, hidden away, something stirred. It made his heart beat just a little faster.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 14th, 2011, 02:14:42 PM
She had abandoned her writing, and had returned to the small bridge to sit beside Henry. Of course, as always, s'Il avoided the view in favor of the much more interesting console directly in front of her.

Henry McDonnaught
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:47:38 PM
"Right then!" Donut slapped both hands on the armrest and launched himself out of the seat, "Time to be heroes"

He'd managed a sneak glance at Loklorien to gage if she was gonna hurl or not, but safe to say, that bullet had been dodged.

He swept up his carbine, the larger one he'd eyed in Dan's armory, and motioned with a waving hand to the soldiers clustered around the exit, "Lets go then" he said, gesturing for one of them to lead the way.

Colonel Jaff
Aug 20th, 2011, 08:18:09 PM
"Hang on just a minute, son."

The raise voice was one of command, and the scraggle of survivors parted their small company to allow their leader to walk forward.

Jaff walked with a sure gait as he approached the shuttle and the man holding the carbine. Stopping at the base of the boarding ramp, the Colonel hitched his shoulders back, standing with a straight back.

"You aren't the one we were told would be meeting with us."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 20th, 2011, 08:18:14 PM
Swift, sure steps brought her into view, and with a confident stride s'Il stopped to stand beside Henry. In her left hand she carried a small attache case. Inside were a small collection of flimsies, one for each of the men in Jaff's company who wished to defect, and one for the Colonel himself.

"Colonel Jaff," she nodded in greeting.

"I believe I am the one you are wishing to see."

With a gesture to follow that only Henry could see, s'Il began the short trek down the ramp.

Henry McDonnaught
Aug 27th, 2011, 05:33:30 PM
Henry fell into step close behind s'Ilancy, taking her lead.

He held his carbine level, not caring if the old man grumping ahead of him appreciated it or not.

McDonnaught didn't much like the greeting he'd got, but he expected that Jaff was in an unenviable position and it would like to sour his spirit some. Still, Donut remained wary. He didn't get bad feelings often, and he wouldn't reeeally say he was getting one now, except that he didn't much care for the Colonels manner.

"Keep your heads up" he said to the men behind him. Needlessly, he knew, but it made him feel better to say something.

Colonel Jaff
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:46:49 PM
There was a bit of a smirk that played across the Colonel's face, and his back straightened only slightly at the sight of her. The Jedi. In his communications with the Alliance General, Dan, he had been dubious and not a little bit suspicious that a Jedi was being sent to oversee the collection of him and his men. But, he supposed that no matter how the cards fell, at least they would be taken from this gods-cursed forest world. By now their loyalties to the Empire had been squashed, and though he had been hesitant - almost loathe - to contact the Rebels at first, now it was the very people they'd fought against that now extended the hand of salvation.

It was strange how the galaxy worked, and the deep vein of schadenfreude was certainly not lost on him.

When the Jedi woman stepped from the boarding ramp and onto hard-packed dirt, Jaff gave a small incline of his head and the slightest of bows.

"Madame Jedi. I've been expecting you."

The stirring in his mind grew still, as if suddenly aware.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:46:53 PM
s'Il returned the greeting with a healthy dose of respect. Yet, behind her genial, thin smile was a hint of suspicion.

"Colonel," she too nodded in return, "I am Commodore Loklorien s'Ilancy. In this matter I do not operate as a Jedi, but as an officer in the Alliance Navy."

It was a gentle correction.

Stepping carefully to the side, she allowed Henry to move alongside her.

"This is Lieutenant Henry McDonnaught."

Henry McDonnaught
Sep 2nd, 2011, 09:26:15 PM
"Colonel" Henry said, adding a perfunctory dip of his head.

Did he offer his hand to shake? He didn't salute, surely, - Jaff wasn't an Alliance Colonel after all, but still, it felt weird given the man's rank and all. What was the protocol with defectors? He really should have asked someone before they left The Dauntless.

"Its my honor to be of service, Sir"

Henry assumed an at-attention stance and queried crisply, "Are any of your people in need of medical aide at present, Sir? Will we need to Medi-vac?"

Donut hoped that was a good question. He wanted to look at s'Ilancy for approval, but his pride wouldn't let him. And so he operated on hope alone.

Colonel Jaff
Sep 5th, 2011, 08:36:02 AM
Jaff shook his head, and allowed a thankful expression to color his features.

"Thank you Lieutenant, but no. My men, those of us still left at least, are healthy enough. We've not had to deal with any incursions by the natives for quite some time now, so we've been able to lick our wounds and heal well enough."

Emerit Jaff was at least gracious and thankful for the offer, and his nod of appreciation was genuine.

His spectacled eyes turned back to the woman.

"We have prepared one of the bunkers so that we may dispense with the official matters. It is not ideal I understand, but it is all we have."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 5th, 2011, 08:36:06 AM
"In my time Colonel, I have found that the less ideal, the more meaningful."

s'Il too gave a polite smile, her features remaining neutral. Yet, beneath the calm facade she was searching. Her mind going from one Imperial to the next; probing, looking. She had suspicion enough that what she was looking for had ensconced itself deep inside Jaff, but the Lupine needed to make sure that it was only the one.

"Please, lead the way."

Jaff nodded and turned about, starting off at a clipped pace.

For her part, s'Il paused only briefly, and only long enough to send a look to Henry and a few hushed words of warning as the two of them followed after the Colonel.

"Eyes open. There is danger here."

Henry McDonnaught
Sep 5th, 2011, 02:39:27 PM
Great. And here he was thinking things were going swimmingly.

Henry kept a roving eye, noting the number of defectors, where they were standing, what their body language was. Most seemed pleased, in a subdued sort of way, to see them. The base looked a little run down, abit unkempt perhaps, but nothing that would not be expected for a defeated force languishing for rescue.

For his part, McDonnaught saw and felt nothing amiss. Except for s'Ilancy's wariness. Which was alarming enough on its own. He gripped his carbine a little tighter and kept close to the Jedi. He would be ready should anything unexpected come at them. He'd shoot everyone of these damn defectors should they give him a reason too.

"You bet" he assured her.