PDA

View Full Version : Confesiones [Lucian]

Anna Fernandez
Feb 21st, 2011, 02:04:40 PM
Anna dipped her fingers in the holy water and traced the sign of the cross in front of her before stepping into the sanctuary of St. Francis Parish, her tennis shoes squeaking on the hardwood floor of the church. Passing the rows of pews until she reached the middle, Anna crossed herself again and slipped into a row to kneel and pray.

There was a lot on her mind. Everything going on around her seemed like a swirling vortex that was trying to suck her down into despair... but she had hope. Anna pushed herself up off the kneeling bench and into the pew, waiting for the confessional to open up. Her eyes traced the interior of the church - the late fifties architecture, the statues of the Mother Mary and various saints that were scattered about the cavernous room in their separate alcoves.

Above the altar there was a large crucifix hanging, the representation of Jesus sadly dust covered, but no less powerful an image. In the quiet of the mid morning the light cast a shadow on the statue that made Jesus look as though he were smiling. Anna couldn't help but smile too, the anxieties of her life beginning to slip away.

The confessional opened and Mrs. Garcia stepped out. Anna smiled at her, but her neighbor didn't make eye contact as she passed by. Concerned, Anna tried to concentrate on a Psalm as the next parishioner entered the booth and closed the door. Instead, her mind wandered. There was a new priest arriving, taking over for elderly Father O'Brien. Tomorrow was to be Father O'Brien's last mass, which Anna was determined to drag Jake to, no matter what he said in protest.

Faith was important, and Father O'Brien had helped her, and thus the House, through many crisis's - of faith and otherwise.

It was her turn, and she stepped into the confessional booth, closing the door and sitting carefully on the threadbare bench as the sliding screen opened. "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been a week since my last confession..."

Lucian
Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:51:58 AM
"May the Lord be in your heart to help you make a good confession" The voice of an unknow priest said solemly as he waited to hear the confession of another one of his new parisheners. Fr. Lucian had just arrived at St. Francis only a day praior and was happy to already to start work in his knew assignment. . .There was no immediate reaspons so Fr. urged the penitent on. "Yes my child?"

Anna Fernandez
Feb 22nd, 2011, 03:18:28 PM
She was mentally startled by the new voice, and forgot what she was going to say for a moment. "Ah..." Anna shifted on the kneeling bench, lifting her eyes to see the outline of the priest's profile.

Taking a deep breath, she exhaled slowly and looked downward again. "I have condoned violence against those who threaten me. I have had impure thoughts about a man. I have lied... twice, and both times to law enforcement.

"I took the Lord's name in vain four times. I gave in to fear, and despair, not trusting God to take care of me and my children." Anna sighed, her breath shuddering a little. "I am still afraid, though I know I should not be."

Lucian
Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:14:37 PM
The priest sat for a few moments in thoughtfull prayer before he answered. "Many times, my daughter, we allow ourselves to be overwhelmed by fear. In those moments it is hard to judge rightly in our actions. I assume that when you took Our Lord's name in vain it was in a moment of fear? In these moments we must turn ourselves over completely to His Sacred Heart and there let Him subdue all fear. Remember St. Paul tells us that we have not been given the spirit of fear. But that of power and of rightousness, through which we call our Abba!. . . " He paused again and took a deep breath as he looked at the crucifix that hung in front of him. "In dealing with lying we must remember that it is only in truth that we have true power. Our Lord himself tells us that He is the Way, the Truth (stressing this word), and the life. St. John affirms us in saying that the Truth will set us free. . . Is there anything else?" Fr. Lucian's voice trailed off as he waited.

Anna Fernandez
Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:49:36 PM
"It is hard to feel powerful in God when there are so many around me intent on taking that power from me." Anna spoke softly, her hands clasped in front of her face as she knelt. "And I have confessed the sin that led to my pregnancy before... I am not married... but I still feel guilt.

"But the baby is a gift from God, no matter the circumstances, yes?" She sighed. "I am happy about the baby coming, and then I feel as though I shouldn't be."

Lucian
Feb 24th, 2011, 03:50:26 PM
The Priest smiled, though he knew that the woman could not see him, "My child the power I am speaking of is no physical power of our own. It isn't something that can be taken away. Only given, though not it may feel as if it is taken. This power is our faith, our hope, and our joy. You say that you are with child. That is something to truely be joyful about, even though the circumstances aren't the best. IF you have confessed this sin, then let your guilt go for God doesn't even remember what you confessed, if it was done in the spirit of true contrition. By holding on to guilt we are, in a sense, telling God that we do not trust him. We call God a liar. But in him there is no shadow of falsity. You say that you are scared, tell me what are you so afraid of that you would put your soul into mortal danger, then refuse to be consoled?" The priest waited and prayed. Durring the pause his stomach gave off a long low gargle, the priest had been in such a rush to get to the confessional that he passed up breakfast and lunch, it seemed was now bearing down upon him. But he said nothing hoping that the woman didn't hear it.

Anna Fernandez
Feb 25th, 2011, 01:24:30 AM
She nodded as he spoke, trying to internalize the words and advice. "I am afraid of the children I protect being in danger. You are new to this parish... but I'm sure you know this is not a good part of town. I run Redencion House, which is a halfway house for mutant teens here in Los Santos.

"And the gang activity is so much worse than it has been in the past. Being a mutant makes you a target, so I... and the kids... are in very real danger." Anna sighed again, and squared her shoulders. "But of course you are right. ...For these and all my sins I am truly sorry."

Lucian
Feb 25th, 2011, 06:47:56 PM
"mhm. . " Father said as he heard her say that she was in charge of The House of Mutans. "You are in a very dangerous place that is for certain. But do not think that you have been abadoned by God. . ." He paused for a moment and thought. "For your holy penance I want you to say the chaplet of Divine Mercy, and meditate on the emincity of God's great love for you and your children. Now say your act of contrition." The woman lowered her head and started her act of contrition. As she prayed Father extended his hand towards her and in latin gave her absolution. After the woman finshed before she stood up to leave father said as almost an after thought, "I would like to speak with you, and perhapes come over to see your house, maybe I could meet some of the children you protect. Just wait a few moments and I'll be done."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 28th, 2011, 12:02:19 AM
"Certainly, Father." Anna let herself out of the confessional booth, walking up a few rows of pews and finding a seat. After about ten minutes a young priest made his way toward her.

She stood up, smoothing her clothes and holding her hand out in introduction. "Anna Fernandez, Father..?"

Lucian
Feb 28th, 2011, 10:28:43 AM
The priest smiled as he extended his hand in greeting. "Father Lucian. It is a pleasure Anna." Lucian smiled at Anna as he gave her a firm grip. He may look young but his eyes would have held ages upon ages of knowledge. He had leared to close his mind so that mutants with telepothy could not read him. It would to be as it they were stearing at a blank page. Seeing as he did not know if Anna had these powers he still held his guard. "Give me just a few minutes to divest and I'll be right back." He took off his purple stole as he talked and tugged at his alb as he mentioned divesting.

Anna Fernandez
Mar 1st, 2011, 12:11:27 AM
"Ciertamente," Anna said, standing with her hip against the end of the pew while she waited. The church was old and had only a few stained glass windows, but the ones it had were beautiful. The sun was hitting one of them just right, playing colored light over the opposite wall.

Lucian
Mar 1st, 2011, 03:59:51 PM
In just a few short moments the priest walked back from the sacrasty. He wore a long black cassock. Anna would not have notices him walk up to her for he made little noise. He stood behind her for a moment and let her enjoy the beautiful stainglass window. "I love stained glass." He said. He had a broad smile on his face as Anna nearly jumped out of her shoes. "Come let's take a walk outside." He gestured for the front door and followed Anna out his hands rested in the small of his back. He walked with an air of dignaty that was not common in people.

Anna Fernandez
Mar 4th, 2011, 12:38:57 PM
Anna laughed a little nervously after Father Lucian sneaked up on her, but outside in the well kept parish garden she felt more relaxed. The garden was moderately sized, but planned for ultimate peace and serenity with meandering paths amongst the foliage and granite benches for contemplation and prayer.

It was hot, southern California in June was always hot, though not the blazing sun of late August, but there was a breeze that made the temperature tolerable. "You mentioned coming to my house? I would love to have you over for dinner, welcome you to the community." Anna smiled.

Lucian
Mar 5th, 2011, 09:24:57 PM
Lucian smiled as he walked beside Anna. "I would enjoy that greatly. I have done a lot of work with mutant's with in the Church." His eyes seemed to look deep into the past as he said this. "The fight against our kind has been raging longer than many care to think about." He cast a side ways glance as he said this to seel Anna's reaction, though his gentle smile never left his face.

Anna Fernandez
Mar 6th, 2011, 01:27:31 PM
She looked sideways up at the priest, and raised an eyebrow. "Our kind, Father?" Anna stopped walking and trailed a hand through a large fern. "I never asked Father O'Brien what the Church's position was on ordaining mutants.

"Or," she hesitated, "Does the Church know?"

Lucian
Mar 8th, 2011, 01:49:55 PM
Fr. Lucian raised an eyebrow as he looked at a beautiful violet rose. "Yes indeed, 'Our kind'. The Church knows. They have always known. They ordain mutant but only those whose mutation would not distract the parish. As such most of the mutant priest, sisters, or monks look like normal humans. We give a full account of our mutation to the Holy See and are assigned where we are needed the most. We also enjoy full citizenship of the Vatican City, so we have diplomatic immunity." He leaned in an smelled the freshly blossomed rose. "The Church from the begining is concerned with the respect of human dignity no matter ones race, creed, language, gender, or mutation." Fr. Lucian turned and looked at Anna, his yellow/brown eyes deep as an ocean searching her face and reading her reaction.

Anna Fernandez
Mar 8th, 2011, 02:06:44 PM
She sighed, "I wish others believed the same, Father. There are other denominations who preach that to be mutant is to not be human - and that mutants have no souls.

"Even some Catholic priests have said nearly the same thing, though not as boldly." Anna plucked a dandelion from near the ground, twirling the bright yellow flower between her fingers. "But let us talk about happier things. I would have you over for dinner, and welcome you to Los Santos." She smiled at the priest, her arms folded over her stomach where she was just starting to show signs of her pregnancy.

Lucian
Mar 8th, 2011, 07:22:07 PM
"Thank you. I would like that greatly." Fr. Lucian's smile broadend as he saw the signs of pregnancy. "Let me give you a blessing before you go." The Priest extended his hands over Anna's head and prayed. "Father. I ask you to send down your mighty blessing up Anna and her child. Free them from the threat of persicution that haunts their lives. Pour out your abundant blessings upon her and her house and keep all who dwell there in safety. We ask this in the name of Jesus your son." Putting his left hand to his chest and giving the benediction with his right he said, "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen."

Anna Fernandez
Mar 12th, 2011, 03:34:26 PM
She smiled, and thanked him for the blessing. "And dinner - tomorrow night? Around six, if that works for you, Father."

It did, and they said their good-byes, walking back into the cool interior of the church. Anna proceeded out the front of the parish, putting on her sunglasses in the van and making her way home.

The next day she had gotten the house prepared for the Father's visit, and had a big pot of Spanish rice on the stove and enchiladas in the oven. "He'll be here soon, can you set the table, Aimee?"

"Sure thing," the purple girl said, scooping two handfuls of silverware out of the drawer. "Is everyone going to be here?"

"Almost," Anna replied, giving the rice a stir. "Summer schedules are hard to keep track of," she laughed, pointing at the calendar that had so much scribbled on it it was nearly impossible to read.

Lucian
Mar 12th, 2011, 08:02:17 PM
Fr. Lucian was not one who particularly enjoyed being late to anything for any reason so just to make sure that he would find the house he left the parish at 5:00pm. He drove the lest than 20 minute rout and found that he was sitting in front of the House at 5:26 he made a few wrong turns along the way and had to backtrack. He looked at the house. It was old, but very well kept, and very inviting. As he step out of the car he took a long look down the road, left then right. It was a quiet little neighborhood, or at lest that is the way it seemed on the surface. Just the small amount of time that he had been in Los Santos he had heard of the many gang activities. He walked slowly giving those on the inside a chance to prepair a bit more. Not a sound came from the steps as he ascended them and stood before the door. He nocked three times then waited as he heard orders shouted and feet hurring around the inside. He couldn't help but smile.

Aimee Connors
Mar 13th, 2011, 10:47:24 PM
"He's here already!" Aimee said, and hurriedly placed the last forks on their paper napkins at the long wooden table in the formal dining room.

"Answer the door then!" called Anna from the kitchen, and the girl swept her long black hair behind her shoulders, tucking it behind her ears as she walked the few steps to the door. She opened it after pausing a second, and smiled welcomingly at the man-of-the-cloth on the other side. "Hi, you must be Father Lucian. Come in!"

Aimee pulled the door wide and stepped aside so the father could enter.

Alex Kaine
Mar 13th, 2011, 10:49:19 PM
Alex came lumbering down the stairs a few moments after the knock at the door. He landed on the living room floor to see Scott and Jen on the couch watching Survivor: Genosha, wherein Christian was telling the camera there was no way he could be voted off on account of his mutant psychic skills, which no one believed he actually had.

"Dude," Alex said, "aren't you getting the door?"

"I heard you on the stairs. Thought you were getting it," Scott replied.

"I know I'm gonna win. I've seen it," said Christian with a disturbingly manic look on his face.

Alex wrinkled his nose in disgust, finding the show too personally offensive to even comment on. "Shut that crap off and give Anna a hand with dinner. Seriously, guys."

The shaggy-haired teen stepped around to the foyer just as Aimee was showing the priest in.

Tess Abrahams
Mar 14th, 2011, 12:36:11 AM
Thirty minutes and change didn't seem like a long time to spend on a bus until you had to do it with two dozen delicate Italian pastries in tow, with nothing but a flimsy paper box lined with tissue paper to protect them. By the time Tess squeezed her way off the crowded #42 it was hard to tell who was in worse condition, her or dessert.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry," she managed in a breathless rush as she burst into the kitchen via the back door. "I know I said I'd be home earlier to help but Rachel didn't show up again and so I had to cover extra tables and this kid kept sending back his manicotti because the texture wasn't right which is ridiculous, I mean, how much can you possibly know about pasta when you're six?"

Kicking off her shoes, she set down the box on the counter and flashed Anna an apologetic smile. The stiff tails of her white uniform button-down had come untucked during the mad dash up Banyon Street, and her legs itched beneath the black tights that she'd taken to wearing to disguise just how short the required skirts were. Nylon and humidity did not mix well.

"I brought cannoli from work, fresh-made this morning. Nico and his wife had a huge fight so he was emotional baking. It was like walking into Candyland, powdered sugar and ganache everywhere!" Tess grinned, eyes flicking toward the voices in the living room. "Oh crap, is he here already? I wanted to change out of this stupid skirt."

Lucian
Mar 16th, 2011, 08:50:13 PM
Lucian smiled at the young girl as she opened the door. He stepped in and looked around before returning to the young lady. He raised an eyebrow at the two on the couch watching the tv.

"It is pleasure to meet you Aimee." He held out his hand to the girl. Hearing the rumbling of the stairs he looked up and saw a man bound down them.

"Hello." He said simply with a wide grin. "I'm Father Lucian." Stepping in farther so that the door could be shut he heard the voices in the kitchen.He took a deep breath as he closed his eyes. The smell of the food was quite inviting.

Anna Fernandez
Mar 16th, 2011, 09:41:19 PM
Anna wiped her hands on her apron, and walked out of the kitchen to the hallway. "Father Lucian, welcome, welcome. Scott, turn that off."

"But there's no DVR!" he protested, but reluctantly switched off the set.

"Come in Father," she said, "We're just about ready, if you want to take a seat in the dining room?"

Feral
Mar 18th, 2011, 11:38:48 PM
Feral--no, Apollos--sat in the musty cab of his little rust-red truck driving towards LA. He had been gone for what felt like a long time, even though it had only been two months.

He hadn't found his group of thugs, but then again, he didn't really care. He was thinking of something else that wouldn't leave him alone. That night when the 3-11's attacked the house, he helped to defend it against them. It had been a perfect night before then. The Redencion House won a major grant, everyone had a perfectly wonderful time going out to eat, and best of all the house residents were finally beginning to accept them. He had learned to be social.

Then they came. They attacked his people. They attacked the house he worked so hard on for the people he cared about. It made him mad. He fought back. Their blood anointed him like an unholy blessing, pushing him towards that state of mind he thought he had left behind: Feral.

He did the one thing he never thought he'd do a day in his life. He ran. Ran from Anna, from Jamie, from Jake. What would they think when he returned after so long? Would they be mad? Would they feel abandoned?

Or worse: What if they missed him and were happy to see him? How would he deal with that?

Worse still, had they seen him transform? Had they seen him go full-combat with the horrifying bone armor, sharp features, and bloodlust smile? Did they hear the sadistic glee in his voice when he butchered those gang members?

During the time away he earned his construction license and started his own company. He tried to work the unease away, but his thoughts kept returning to the House. He had to know. So he was going to find out.

"Still going to be a ways. I hope they're all ok."

Aimee Connors
Mar 18th, 2011, 11:44:28 PM
Aimee closed the door gently behind the priest, and scooted around him and Alex, escaping past them to the kitchen. Tess was inspecting some squished looking cannolis on the island while the timer on the oven counted down the last minute.

She opened an upper cabinet and starred pulling out glasses. For once they all matched - they'd had to replace all of the old ones after they'd been broken in an accident. Anna had bought the new ones from Ikea for a ridiculously low price. "Can you help me with this?" Aimee asked Tess, filling her arms with as many glasses as she could fit.

Tess Abrahams
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:12:59 AM
Much more at ease now in a pair of brown leggings and a scalloped turquoise tunic - she wasn't religious, exactly, but the idea of meeting a man of the cloth while hardly wearing any herself was needlessly provocative - Tess nodded and moved the cannolis to the fridge. Maybe a little cold air would firm them up a bit.

"Wow, a real tablecloth - Anna's pulling out the stops tonight," Tess remarked, eying the pretty cotton print from over the door of the fridge. She pulled out a prepared jug of lemonade, bright yellow circles of fruit floating gaily at the top, and the Brita pitcher and ferried both to the counter. Aimee was setting a glass at the right hand side of each plate and Tess carefully gathered the remaining population and started at the other end of the table.

Lucian
Mar 19th, 2011, 09:34:21 AM
He watched the interplay between Anna and the children. It was truely amazing seeing so many mutants in one place living peacefully, well as was possible. "Ms. Fernandez. How are you to night?" He moved in a little farther and reached out a hand to Anna. "I'm afraid I'm a bit early, it seems to have messed up the flow of your house." Father smiled ruefully at Anna casting a glance at the two on the couch looking quite disapointed not to see the end of their show. He moved to the dining room following Aimee. He stood off to one side as the others came in behind him waiting to take the last seat that may be his.

Tycho Auriville
Mar 21st, 2011, 01:16:52 AM
On the street, Tycho Auriville surveyed the cheery facade of Redencion House while the engine of his truck ticked and cooled. The instinctive need to seek out something familiar drew his eyes up, to the dark patch of navy canvas currently secured across the highest portion of the roof. He'd been here nearly every day this week, replacing the rotted section, which meant that being invited for dinner shouldn't have felt as awkward as it did.

But the fact remained that it was nearly six o'clock and he was still standing on the sidewalk wondering if he had time for a smoke, no closer to approaching the gathering inside than he had been when he'd parked ten minutes ago.

A family dinner to welcome the new priest, Anna had said. There would be plenty. Why didn't he come? No, no, no it was no imposition. He was welcome.

Ty sighed. No matter how emphatically the woman had assured, it still felt like he was encroaching upon something private. And to make matters worse, all he had to bring to the table was a plastic tray of spinach dip from the grocery deli and a loaf of French bread, a paltry gesture at best that screamed of well-founded bachelordom. Of course, it was better than his initial instinct: Ty had briefly entertained the notion of picking up a couple bottles of wine (an easy go-to whenever one was invited for supper) but dismissed the idea after further consideration. Bringing alcohol to a spread that included teenagers, a pregnant woman, and a Catholic priest was probably inappropriate.

Dip and bread in hand, Tycho exhaled slowly and set off for the front porch, reaching the door just in time to let out a word of greeting before it shut entirely. It swung back to reveal Scott, who saluted him gamely.

"Hey," Tycho said, pulling out a warm smile. The kid had given him a hand here and there, was pretty good with a crowbar. "Good to see you, man."

Aimee Connors
Mar 21st, 2011, 11:29:05 AM
"Dude, you're just in time," Scott said. "Dinner's about to start." He poked his head out the door and made sure no one else was walking up to the house before shutting it behind Ty.

Aimee smiled at Father Lucian, finishing getting the table set. He was lingering around the edge of the dining room like a guest who wasn't sure where to sit. Which was exactly what he was. "Here," she said helpfully, pulling out a chair at the left hand side of the end. "Anna sits at the head so you're sitting here so you can talk to her easily."

She looked at the other, empty seats, and added, "We're a little early, so people will start sitting down in a few minutes." Then she sat down as well, on the other side of the table from the priest and nearer the center. Just to make him feel comfortable. And to keep out of the kitchen where it sounded like Anna and Tess were very busy wrangling dinner out of the oven.

Anna Fernandez
Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:46:57 PM
"Jake - dinner!" Anna spoke into the intercom that linked the kitchen to the attic, and waved Tess out to the dining room with a casserole dish of steaming enchiladas. People were gathering around the table, Jen, Scott, and Ronnie bunching together at the far end after introducing themselves to their guest.

Anna picked up the second dish of enchiladas and brought it out, setting it on a mat near the head of the table. "I think we're almost ready to start! Thank you so much for coming, Father Lucian."

Jacob Foley
Mar 25th, 2011, 05:35:08 PM
Even without Anna's clockwork call, Jake realised it was time to make an appearance. The swell of good-natured noise from downstairs reached a crescendo of clattering plates and groaning chairs, it was the natural soundtrack of Redención House, and it told him it was time for dinner. The smell of his sister's cooking had slipped under the door and invaded his room while he primped, prompting a rebellious rumble in his belly. Another minute, he told himself, and he'd be done.

This was an important night for Anna, and, in his Catholicism guilty by association, it was important for him, too. And while he recognised the need to make a good first impression with the new parish priest, Jake was by no means making himself beautiful for Father Lucian. The truth was that after dinner, he had an important appointment with Doctor Moon, for a night of good music and heavy medication. So he wore a shirt, tucked into a pair of smart jeans, and a belt he once wore to a job interview. The trick, he understood, with cologne was to arouse the senses without coming across like a bimbo's boudoir, which meant a liberal splash on the neck and the wrists only. Wrist cologne was an ancient technique utilized by only the most deadly serious of players, the premise of which was fairly simple; a check of the watch and the whiff of one's natural godly scent was caught on the breeze like a waft of golden pollen. What time is it? Bed time!

Welcomed by the jovial clamor of eleven-plus-one as he stepped into the dining room, Jake felt an odd stirring of warmth he hadn't known in a long time, and it wasn't a fleeting prick of happiness brought on by the prospect of good food and company, it was something quiet and lasting, more akin to, well, contentment. He smiled as he closed the distance between himself and the priest, and offered his hand in greeting:

"Hello, Father. I'm Anna's brother, Jake. It's good to have you with us."

Lucian
Mar 25th, 2011, 07:36:05 PM
Father Lucian noted his seat with a nod of thanks to Aimee, but before he could sit he was ambushed by three of the younger residences of the house. He was sure to draw himself up to his full hight and give a firm grip to all of them. Turning he saw Jacob walk into the room. His smie was still and peaceful, and completely genuine. Taking a breath he smelt the cologne and tilted his head slightly. "Smells like you have something else planed for tonight." He said low enough for only him to hear. Raising his voice to normal speaking level he took Jacob's hand, "It is a great pleasure to meet you."

He remained standing until Anna took her place and then sat. He looked down the long table and smiled at each one reading the fear, uncertainty, or care freeness on each ones face. "This is a wonderful family it seems to me." He allowed his mind to open just slightly as he remembered his family, some 2,000 years back, in China.Turning his mind back to the present he simply prayed, Thank you. . . .

Anna Fernandez
Mar 25th, 2011, 07:43:12 PM
Anna beamed in agreement with the priest's words. "Father Lucian, if you don't mind, could you lead us in saying grace?" She clasped her hands in front of her, resting them on the edge of the table. At the Fernandez house they had always held hands during grace, but she did not enforce such a policy at the House, in deference to the differing beliefs of those who sheltered there.

Prayers were a private occasion in general. But this evening was an obvious exception.

Lucian
Mar 25th, 2011, 07:53:26 PM
Father Lucain nodded as he turned to face the center of the table. Making the sign of the cross he closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. "Father, we give you thanks for all the graces and benefits you have poured out upon this house and THIS family. May they always turn to you in times of distress and not easily abandond you in times of bounty. And so we ask you to bless us, oh Lord, and these Thy gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty through Christ our Lord. Amen." As he was praying he made the sign of the cross over the food and then over all who were at the table. Leaning back he waited as he watched people dive in for the delicious food that was placed before him.

Jim Lewinski
Mar 25th, 2011, 08:40:21 PM
Jim was unusually quiet. After politely introducing himself to their guest, he took a seat at the opposite end of the table, and there he kept his lips clamped shut, humming tunelessly until dinner was served. And then the moment he'd been dreading arrived: prayers. Jim was so much more than just an atheist, he was a scientist, which meant that not only did he not have religious beliefs, he was downright offended by them. It was sun-worshipping with an iPod. His views were no secret, and in espousing them he made some of Alex's political rants sound impossibly indifferent, but he also understood that, with such delicate issues, tact and timing were everything. Still...

"So, uh, blessin' the food," Jim began at last, "If that's supposed to give us superpowers or somethin', I hate to tell ya, but old mother nature beat ya to the punch in this house, mister."

Feral
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:05:56 PM
Feral turned onto the street and parked his truck at the closest available spot on the side of the road. He could already see the faces of the people in the house as they gathered for dinner.

Some faces were new, some were old. He recognized Jake immediately, and Anna shortly after. Anna...what would she say when she saw him?

By the time he completed that thought, he stood face to face with the front door.

The door would be locked. He'd have to knock. He chuckled at himself. Him, nervous? "Stranger things since I started spending time here."

He knocked three times and waited. It was all he could do.

Tess Abrahams
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:24:22 PM
With her head bowed under the guise of piety, Tess was able to keep the grin that Jim's attempt at tact elicited to herself. Any eye contact would have meant a complete undoing, Julian Smith's Pre-Blessed Food (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9JUqS4Q2A0) skit too recent a watch and close in kin to the general air surrounding the table to not result in a fit of helpless laughter. Catholic, Jewish, Agnostic, whatever: that was funny stuff, right there.

Tess cleared her throat and picked up the dish of chicken enchiladas that rested in front of her, politely passing them down to Aimee while the salad bowl started it's rotation. "So, Father - "

But before she could finish her query to the priest, the hollow echo of someone at the door drifted in. Anna made to get up, despite the fact that her cheeks were still flushed from the last whirlwind run through of the kitchen.

"Anna, please sit. You're officially off-duty," Tess waved her back and pushed away from the table, excusing herself with a friendly wink to her friend.

Who was knocking at this hour? Almost everyone on the street would be sitting down to their own meals and it wasn't campaign season. Were they expecting others? But no, Anna hadn't mentioned it and there were no extra place settings, besides.

Face set in a benign expression, Tess tugged open the door and surveyed the stranger there, eyes expectant. "Hi. How can I help you?"

Feral
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:31:39 PM
"Hello, I'm Apollos. I'm a friend of Anna's. Am I interrupting? I only wanted to drop by and see how everyone was doing."

He kept his voice low, almost apologetic. He steeled himself and made his voice more confident. He was not wishy washy and squeamish. He was strong, decisive.

"I see the house has grown since I've been gone. What's your name?"

Tess Abrahams
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:51:34 PM
"Um."

It was a far cry from eloquent - hell, it wasn't even really coherent - but Tess suddenly found her brain completely unable to move forward, stuck like a bad record on the single track that this was Apollos. The guy whom Anna had referenced once or twice in passing, an odd look on her face, and the one you didn't bring up around Jake for the same reason that qualified running with scissors as a not-too-bright idea.

"... Tess," Tess said finally, a fixed smile rising from somewhere that still remembered social cues. With an awkward stumble of motion she stepped aside and gestured him in, twisting to glance back toward the dining room. "Sorry, hi, come in. Uh, welcome back. Let me just get Anna."

Hoping that her delivery had been a lot more seamless than it had felt, Tess scurried back to the warm gathering and made a beeline for the House matriarch. She leaned down in casual deliberance, face still frozen in stupefied surprise tempered with a need to be discreet, until her lips were close to Anna's ear.

"Anna... Apollos is here," she whispered urgently. "In the den. Right now."

Jamie Morrigan
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:56:32 PM
The smallest resident of Redención House sighed theatrically and gave Jim a pointed look. "You know that's not how it works, Jim."

The ten-year-old girl looked over toward Father Lucian for confirmation but found herself sidetracked by the new voice from the front door and Tess's whispered announcement.

Jamie scooted her chair back from the table and hurried toward the foyer, and at first sight the swarthy, stocky man she squealed and threw her arms around his waist. "Apollos! You're back!"

Anna Fernandez
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:06:40 PM
Surprised didnt quite cover how she felt. Shocked was closer. "Excuse me, Father..." Anna gave Jim a warning look as she rose from the table to greet their unexpected guest.

She had a smile on her face for Apollos, smoothing her empire waisted shirt over her growing bump unconsciously as she laughed at Jamie's enthusiastic welcome. "Apollos! We're just starting dinner, would you like to join us? It has been a while!"

Two months, to be precise. He'd almost become a fixture at the House, there almost every day for one reason or another, and then after the first attack on the house by the 3-11s he had simply stopped showing up. Anna was very curious as to why.

Jacob Foley
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:13:36 PM
Jamie's squeals of confirmation made Jake rear up like a meerkat.

"What the fu- unky... chicken," he muttered, "This is funky chicken, Anna. Really."

He tore a chunk off his enchilada and grazed upon it, hunkered down while stormclouds brewed overhead.

Feral
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:32:19 PM
Heavy boots clomped over the threshold. Tess stepped over to the next room to speak to Anna. He took a look around the living room while he waited. He took it all in and decided the place had been well kept. Despite all the people in and out and sometimes staying over, it was a credit to Anna's kindness, patience, and ability to keep the house in order.

"Oof!" The Littlest Mutant tackled into him with all the enthusiasm in the world and hugged the man about his waist as hard as she could.

Apollos smiled and laughed. Why had he been so nervous? "Yes, I am back. It was tough being away all this time, but I had some very important things to do."

He tossed Jamie into the air and caught her easily, returning her hug with a big hug of his own before setting her down again.

Then suddenly there she was. Anna was as beautiful as ever, despite the small belly. Weight gain, perhaps? It didn't matter.

"Hello," he said. "If you think you'll have enough food, I'd be more than happy to join you." He didn't really know whether to attempt to hug Anna too, or simply offer a handshake. He decided to let her take point on that. He was back, and feeling very good about it with each passing moment.

Tycho Auriville
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:35:36 PM
Tycho had been quiet, simply content to be a fly-on-the-wall attendee and let the boisterous energy of the congregated residents wash over him like refreshing rainfall, but at the sudden shift his curiosity kicked his voice out of neutral.

Carefully spooning fragrant Spanish rice out of a casserole dish and onto his plate, he looked around the table, tongue darting out to lick a bit of cumin-scented oil from his thumb. "Who's Apollos?"

Anna Fernandez
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:48:40 PM
"Great!" Anna felt the uncertainty as Apollos considered how to greet her, and they ended up with a awkward hug. "I'll just set you a place at the island - the table is very full tonight! St. Francis' new parish priest Father Lucian is here, we're welcoming him to the neighborhood."

She let Jamie tug the Greek mutant down the hall behind her, and then Tess was steering her back to her seat. "Oh no, Anna, I'll take care of it. You need to rest after all your hard work in your condition." The younger woman winked, but still made sure Anna found her seat before hurrying into the kitchen to set Apollos up with silverware and a plate where he could see into the dining room and perhaps take part in the conversation.

Lucian
Mar 26th, 2011, 01:18:32 PM
Father Lucian smirked as he looked down the table at the reluctant young man. Then, quite unexspectedly, he started laughing. "It would seem so my boy. . ." Turning to face the little girl who repremanded the boy."You are quite right. We do not bless the food so that it will give us power. We bless it in an act of thanksgiving to God who creates the things we need to keep us a live." He watched as Tess got up and answered the door.

For a moment the smile that would have seemed so perminate would have vanished as he heard a very familure voice which he quickly dismissed as the younger girl bounded off as well as the hostess. Father waited paitently as he listened to the exchange in the front room. He looked around the table and took in the total change in Jacob. Father closed his eyes once more and centered his heart and mind on that peace that always flowed from him.

Hearing the crowd of people coming back down the hall Fr. Lucian stood up to greet the new guest. Once seeing the man he was certain of what he had thought upon hearing his voice. He knew this man, but in some way he was not the man he knew at all. He had changed and himself was more peaceful. Either way Father nodded his greeting to the man as he passed by wandering if Apollos recognized him.

Feral
Mar 27th, 2011, 10:11:16 PM
Apollos entered the dining room and shook Lucian's hand firmly.

"The House has a chaplain now?" Apollos asked. He chuckled in a friendly way, but was a bit confused. He never knew Anna to be overtly religious before. Why this man would be at the house is a mystery. Unless Anna was just trying to make more connections with the community to help out the House.

He accepted the fresh plate from Tess and walked over to the table and muttered apologies as he leaned over Jim, Tycho, and Jake to get the food he was after.

"Sorry Jim, watch out there--"

"Uh, excuse me, man, just need some of this here--"

"Jake, it's good to see you. You look well."

Apollos stood there for a moment looking at Jake, who seemed to be no more or less stand-offish than usual. He and Jake only ever really managed a strained civility at the best of times, and the rest of the time they were annoyed or mad with one another. The older man usually found himself frustrated with Jake because of his rebellious attitude and tendency to be a loner and take matters into his own hands. Jake usually bristled and got riled up any time Apollos tried to give him advice.

It actually bothered Feral a lot, now that he thought about it. The more the considered it, the more he found himself resolving to do better about it and get a long with Jake. He owed it to Anna at least.

"I see the house has been kept up well. Jake, no doubt credit ought to go to you."

Jacob Foley
Mar 29th, 2011, 09:37:51 AM
"Apollos," he uttered, preoccupied with his food.

There was an effect the older mutant's presence had on him. Once again, he felt immediately under the microscope, suffocated by the weight of Apollos's scrutiny, it made his stomach turn, and he hated that. He hated that a man no more than ten years his senior made him instantly doubt himself, a child in his own home. In the heavy silence which followed his words, Jake felt at last compelled to look up and acknowledge him. The old self-assurance was still there, he noted, carved into his hard features, but his expression was soft, and he felt a hand pat him on the shoulder. Now he was making an effort. He hated him for that, too.

"Only in part," he answered, and cast his gaze like a fishing line across the table to Tycho, "In your absence, Anna saw fit to hire a new contractor."

Aimee Connors
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:04:05 PM
Aimee didn't stop eating, just looked back and forth between Father Lucian, who was finding his seat again; Apollos, filling up his plate; and Jake, who was glowering at what remained of his enchilada.

Jen kicked her under the table, and she yelped unexpectedly, and then got up abruptly to try to cover the unusual noise. "I'll just, um, get some more water. Sorry!" Aimee squeezed behind everyone at the table and scurried into the kitchen to fill her glass.

Tycho Auriville
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:42:15 PM
He wasn`t entirely sure what was going on but the undercurrent of emotions - a sort of baited tension, like everyone was holding their breath and trying to make it look as though they weren`t - made Tycho more self-conscious than one had any right to be with a full plate of good food.

The man stared at Jake for a blank second and then half-rose from his chair, offering Apollos an easy smile and a hand from across the table.

"Hey, man," Tycho said. "M`Ty. Good to meet you."

Feral
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:52:51 PM
"It is good to meet you, Ty."

Feral smiled broadly. "You have a lot of skill. I doubt I could have done better myself. It is good that someone is helping Anna with the house."

He let Ty return to his food and walked over to the kitchen island with his plate. He grabbed a glass, returned to the table to fill it, then ruffled Jamie's hair on his way back to his food.

He took a bite of the food and watched Aimee finish with her glass and return to her seat. Everyone seemed to be tense. Was it the priest? Was it him? Was it something else? Apollos didn't have the proper background on what was going on, but figured Jim had most likely said something snarky at the Lucian. Religion made people plenty uncomfortable.

Religion didn't bother Feral per se, but he did tend to view it as a crutch. Relying on an entity that couldn't be seen or heard or touched to sort out a person's life seemed irresponsible. Feral made his own miracles.

Jamie Morrigan
Mar 30th, 2011, 10:44:11 PM
Jamie tracked Apollos as he drifted between the dining room table and the counter island. She hadn't returned to her own food yet - part of that was because she was excited to see Apollos again, and part of that was because the others weren't. Apollos's departure had been as much a mystery to her as to anyone else at Redención House, but she'd always expected he'd be welcomed back like an old friend, maybe not by Jake, but at least by Anna. There was a tension in the air that Jamie didn't quite understand, and it made her anxious and antsy. She bounced on the balls of her feet watching the interplay between Apollos and Anna, and Apollos and Jake, and finally Apollos and that other handyman she didn't know so well, and when Apollos finally stole off into the kitchen, she slipped after him before anyone could tell her to sit down again.

"I'm glad to see you," she said, as if it were a concession and apology on behalf of the rest of the House. "Where've you been all this time?"

Feral
Mar 30th, 2011, 11:05:38 PM
Apollos took a sip of his drink and hoisted the little girl onto the kitchen island.

"I'm glad to see you, too."

He ate a few bites as he weighed Jamie's question. He had been everywhere along the coast, or so it seemed. After brutally fighting off the Three-Elevens to defend the house, Feral had grown dangerously close to reaching the kind of black-out bloodlust that earned him his name.

Afterward he spent a lot of time in an abandoned building demolishing every single rotten, moldy piece of wood, drywall, and insulation he could find to try and work off his rage.

Then, though he wasn't too sure how he did it, he pulled himself together, got some fresh clothes, and went to work earning his contractor's license.

"I needed to take some time away to earn this," he said at last, pulling his thin wallet out of his back pocket and showing her the license. "This means I can work on other people's houses to make money with my own company. I don't just have to work as a laborer like I used to."

He gave Jamie a pat on the shoulder. "I'm sorry I disappeared so suddenly without saying good-bye. I didn't mean to make anyone worry."

He paused for a moment, choosing not to dwell on it. "How's Spike?"

Jamie Morrigan
Mar 30th, 2011, 11:29:42 PM
The corners of Jamie's mouth jumped a little at the mention of her imaginary pet velociraptor. Once or twice, she and Apollos had terrorized the demented squirrels in the local park under the guise of a pride of dromaeosaurs (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Dromie_scale.png/800px-Dromie_scale.png) - he was a utahraptor, she was a young deinonychus, and Spike the little velociraptor had darted around like a sickle-clawed puppy at their ankles. That was a happy memory, but it was fun and games, and today was something serious.

"He's fine," she said. "He'd be glad to see you, too."

She took advantage of Apollos's full mouth to drive the conversation forward. "Do you know why Jake's upset? I mean, I know he's worried about Anna, but I thought he'd be happy to have someone else here to help. Unless... does he think you're the daddy?"

Anna Fernandez
Mar 31st, 2011, 12:14:27 AM
Anna was half listening to a conversation at the end of the table between Scott and Jim, and half to Jamie and Apollos. She was sipping her water when the ten year old asked her innocent question.

For a heartbeat everything slowed down and then Anna was coughing, her drink gone down the wrong pipe.

Lucian
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:55:17 PM
"Anna. . .you alright?" Fr. Lucian asked as he looked at Anna with a piece of enchalada halfway to his mouth. He had yet to eat anything. This certainly had turned out to be a very exciting dinner. He mutation had nothing to do with telepathy but he could read body language very well. He picked up immediately the issue with Jake and Apollos. Looking down the table he made eye contact with Jake and gave a little nod, with it was all the concern in the world. His eyes were soft yet encouraging. In all of this Father Lucian's peace was never disturbed. Turning to Anna he decided to move along. "So if I may ask what are your gifts? Besides being an amazing cook." He was very interested in learning about all of them so that, if he could, help them in any way.

Jacob Foley
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:50:52 AM
The conversation in the kitchen was too far removed from the churn of stilted chatter for Jake to notice, but the change in his sister was unmissable. It stabbed at him through the thick haze of tension, prompting from him a sharp intake of breath and the first prickles of anger. His thoughts were no longer his own, encroaching on them he felt the impression of eleven other minds, the build up of pressure urging his brain to pop.

The notes of a favourite song sounded from afar, first piano, and then guitar. Warped like water echoes, the familiar melody approached, swimming a swamp of cognitive sludge. It surfaced at last, and the lazy voice of David Bowie rang in the caverns of his mind, chasing away shadows like a friendly beacon in the fog. His hands stilled with the subsiding panic, and eager to make a swift escape, Jake attacked his food with renewed vigor.

Feral
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:50:36 PM
The daddy? What on earth?

"I-I-" Feral swallowed the half-chewed mouthful and felt it slide painfully down his throat into his stomach, which felt twisted and sickly. The spiciness of the food caught in his throat, and he coughed. Eyes watering he reached for his glass and took a big pull from it.

"What? Jamie, I don't think I understand. Why would I be 'the daddy' and why would Jake be upset? Is this some kind of slang word you guys are using around the house?"

Feral glanced at Anna and Jake, looking about at the other faces. Why was he getting the feeling he was missing something?

Anna Fernandez
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:11:21 PM
Anna wiped her mouth with a napkin, attempting to concentrate and answer the priest's question. "I have the ability to create and manipulate ice. Useful when the air conditioning in the van is out. Which is always."

She smiled at him, and then laughed as Scott demonstrated his ability by changing his skin to almost perfectly match the bookcases behind him, only his popped collar polo shirt ruining the image. Ronnie spoke up with his mouth full, "I jump really high. I got hops, man."

Jamie Morrigan
Apr 4th, 2011, 05:22:37 PM
Jamie looked back at Apollos in disbelief, and her voice became a strained whisper. "The daddy of Anna's baby. You mean you didn't notice?"

She glanced over at the dinner table only to receive a rather tense look from Anna, and she only shrugged back. Well, it wasn't like it was a secret anymore, not unless you were clinically blind!

Feral
Apr 5th, 2011, 07:50:28 AM
Apollos felt his gut go cold. He turned and glanced at Anna, eyes narrowing, scrutinizing, looking more closely at her. Could she be? No. But couldn't she? But why?

Feral shut his eyes tightly and suddenly could feel rage rising in him like a volcano.

Not here.

"But what--?" The question died as a half-formed murmur on his lips. "She never...we never--"

He was hurt, though he shouldn't have been. They were never that close. They could hardly share a hug, let alone a bed. And she would never feel about him any of feelings he had about her. He had planned to accept Anna's feelings of mere friendship towards him, but this news was too much.

His face tightened and contorted as he struggled to keep back the anger that heated his face and caused his bones to prickle underneath his skin.

Not here.

"No, Jamie," he literally ground out--his jaw and other bones in his face were trying to shift to make his face look like Feral, "I am not the father."

He only barely registered that he kept his voice under control. He had not shouted. He had not registered that his voice did not remain low enough to keep people at the table nearest him from overhearing.

Feral picked Jamie up and deposited her quickly on the ground and put his dishes in the sink a little bit louder and more roughly than he meant to. The dishes didn't break, at least.

"Finish your dinner," he told the little girl. "I need to go."

Feral walked directly to the door and left, nearly slamming the door behind him. Nearly all the food on his plate remained uneaten in the sink.

Jim Lewinski
Apr 5th, 2011, 06:40:02 PM
A silence descended upon the party as the backdoor slammed. Jim's head snapped in the direction of the shuddering door, and then the vacated island, and then he returned his attention to the dining room at large, eyes skittering over every apprehensive face around him. His end of the table started to tremble from the bounce in his legs and he gave a long low whistle.

"J-j-jeez Anna, who'da thought it? We finally found somone who don't like ya cookin'!"

Aimee Connors
Apr 5th, 2011, 07:44:14 PM
Aimee giggled in spite of herself, shaking her head at Jim and then paying very strict attention to her plate. She surreptitiously looked up the length of the table to see what Anna was doing, but the woman of the house seemed to be determined to pretend nothing had just happened.

Lucian
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:15:27 PM
Father Lucain was very impressed with the variety of the gifts that were dimonstrated at the table, but the whole time he was also listening to the conversation in the kitchen. He watched as the whole house became filled with tension so thick that you could feel it wrap around your throat and start to stangle you. He closed his eyes as he slowed his breathing praying for peace and wisdom. His eyes shot open as he heard the plate being slammed in the sink and watched as Apollos stormed out. He looked from Jake to Anna. He stood up and brushed his cassock flat. "Excuse me." He said as he followed Apollos out the back door.

The sun had already gone down and a nice cool breeze was making its way through the branches of the trees. The sweet smell of roses met him as he walked slowly, calmly over to Apollos. He said nothing, just stood there waiting to see what would happen next. He wasn't one how talked a great deal, most the time most people just needed an ear.

Feral
Apr 6th, 2011, 09:06:14 PM
"Chasing a little lost sheep, Father?"

Apollos had taken pause in the back yard to try to keep his power and rage under control. His face had fully contorted into Feral--his jawbone, chin, nose, and even his eyes looked sharper as his facial structure changed to give him the sadistic, bloodthirsty look that made people wet themselves. Even his voice had grown sharper, more intimidating and threatening.

Apollos stood tall, remembering that at any moment someone might go to the window and see or overhear, giving him the determination to set his face back to normal.

He turned slowly, deliberately to face the priest.

Lucian
Apr 8th, 2011, 07:50:53 AM
The priest smiled as he heard Feral's remark.

"If you want to be called that, sure. I prefere to look at it as being a sounding board. "

It would have been very evident to Apollos that the priest was not in any way afraid of him. In every event that had taken place that night Fr. Lucian had never lost his peace, and this was no different. He had seen this bloodlust before in many other people. . . in himself.

"What are you allowing to eat you away?" The priest's voice was calm and gentle. Yet he was not even looking at Apollos. He had fixed his eyes on a sing bright star that danced in the blackening sky.

Feral
Apr 9th, 2011, 08:33:37 PM
"I think you presume too much if you think I'm going to make you the wall I talk to," Feral sneered. "Perhaps you had better go inside and finish your meal before it gets cold. You have a better chance of making Jim a Christian than you have turning me into someone who confides in people who can't even look me in the eye."

Lucian
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:41:42 AM
Father Lucian's eyes snapped onto Feral as if the whole universe was now non-existence. Father drew himself up to his full hight, squaring his shoulders. "I am not concerned with converting you. It is this rage that burns with in you, that HAS killed and may kill again, that I wish to withdraw. This family is so prescious, and I refuse to have any memeber of it lost. . . Including you." Father looked at him with burning eyes that were dilolated and took in everything as he waited for Feral's response. "People like you think that is in holding in the anger, the rage, that you prove that you are strong. Oh how you have decived yourself! Let it go release it and be whole once more."

Feral
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:08:05 AM
"What is it they say in the Bible? Ask and it shall be given to you?"

Feral grabbed the priest by his shirt and slammed him into the wall. Bones began to emerge from his knuckles and the backs of his hands, digging into the priest's skin.

Not here.

"Well, not today."

Feral let Lucian go and stalked off to his truck, got inside, and drove away.

Maybe he should have never come back. But he needed to know. He would come speak to Anna another time.

Anna Fernandez
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:06:52 AM
Anna came to the back door, looking out into the yard as Apollos disappeared around the corner of the house. "Is everything okay, Father Lucian?"

Lucian
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:44:33 PM
Father Lucian sighed as he watched Feral walk away. He closed his eyes as he slouched against the wall. He heard the back door open and Anna call out to him. "In earnest no. But things of this nature never turn out well the first time around." Lucian put a hnd to his chest and felt how deep his cuts were. Not to deep, it would heal in about three minutes. He walked over to the back door. "My mistake was to stand to close, and lose my temper with him. May God forgive my pride."

Anna Fernandez
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:49:07 PM
Her mouth fell open when she saw the priest had been injured, her brain locking up in shock. Did... did Apollos do that? "Oh my God," Anna reached out toward him, pulling him into the kitchen. "Sit, sit, let me get something for you..."

Lucian
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:55:24 PM
This would be the second time Lucian would have been caught be surprise, as Anna took hold of him and pulled him into the kitchen. He shook his head as he walked behind her.

"I'll be alright." Lucian said as he was placed into a seat next to the kitchen island. "I'm already starting to heal. In about two minutes you won't even be able to tell anything happend." He wasn't sure if Anna was listening as she swept around the kitchen gathering things.

What a mother she makes. . . He mused to himself as he watched her. He turned his attention to the other shell-shocked members of the house. He took a deep breath, which smarted a bit.

"Tess. You had a question for me at the begining of dinner but wasn't able to ask it. What was on your mind?"

Lucian
Apr 26th, 2011, 07:43:03 AM
Father Lucian gently smiled as he looked at everyone. Turning his attention to his chest he looked through the holes in his cassock to see the wounds. By now there were mere scratches on his new skin. In just a few more moments his flesh would be as new as a new borns with only the blook to make the spots.

Anna Fernandez
May 5th, 2011, 12:34:06 PM
The rest of dinner passed in an haze of awkwardness, Anna doing her best to keep up the conversation but after some initial questions about Father Lucian's mutant ability most of the other people at the table had simply shoveled their food in and then made their excuses to leave. Jake was outside, smoking like a chimney. Tycho had to get up early in the morning so had left.

Jennifer and Tess were clearing away the dishes, and Lucian was talking to Jamie about something at the table when Anna carefully interrupted them. "Father, I do have something else to ask you about... you can come with us, Jamie. To the study?" She led the way into the small room that was nearly filled up with four desks and outdated computers that ran hot and loud. They were off at the moment, and she pulled out a chair and sat down, hands folded over her stomach.

"Jamie has been having terrible nightmares lately." Anna looked reassuringly at her foster daughter, who was spinning around in her own chair. "And... there was something else, the other day." She chewed her lower lip, unsure how to speak of the thing that had been in Jamie's room, in the dreamcatcher.

Jamie Morrigan
May 5th, 2011, 01:44:40 PM
Jamie stopped turning her chair back and forth and just hooked her feet under two of the spokes at the bottom that held the casters. She felt suddenly self-conscious under the priest's sudden scrutiny.

Lucian
May 7th, 2011, 07:34:12 PM
Father Lucian stood silently as Anna tried to explain what was going on. He looked at the young girt with a gently gaze and a kind smile. Noticing that he seemed to be hovering over her he found a chair next to her and sat in it resting his elbows on his knees.

"Nightmares are common in children around her age. Are they not? Most the time you see people who make little dream catchers that would capture the bad dreams and only allow the good ones in. But this seems a little more serious. How often does she have them?" He asked looking at Anna.

Anna Fernandez
May 12th, 2011, 11:52:46 AM
His observations about dream catchers was eerily similar to what she'd just been thinking, but Anna just continued on. "She's had one once or twice a month for the last four months or so... then there were three or four in a week.

"They are very vivid, and tied to memories she has from before she came here." Anna paused. "There haven't been any in the last two weeks, not since... She does in fact have a dreamcatcher in her room, one she made herself. It seemed to help... and then it actually..." She could feel an eye want to twitch as she tried to explain what had happened.

"It caught something. Like a demon from hell." Anna leaned forward, studying the priest's expression. "I killed it... I think. But..." She looked sideways at her foster daughter. "Have you ever heard of anything like this before? And, can you pray for Jamie to have relief from her dreams?"

Lucian
May 12th, 2011, 12:57:15 PM
"It caught something. . . " the priest repeated as his gaze fell to the floor and his eyebrows drew together. His entire attitude was different than the normal gentleness that was a common trait of his. It looked like war was raging in his eyes as he listened to the rest of Anna's story. A small sideways smile lifted his features for a moment when Anna said that she though that she killed it. He waited a moment after Anna was finished before drawing a long deep breath.

"Demons cannot be killed, they are completely immatterial, but they can be forced to go away. I can pray yes but there is so much more that I could do. First things first, and this isn't because I don't believe you, I need some hard evidence that this is demonic activity. Normally this is done through lengthy investigation. But I will try to spare you of some of the length."

Softening his gaze a bit he looked over at Jamie. "Jamie. What are your abilities? Can you show me?" After a moments pause at the girl who seemed to look like she was at the top of America's Most wanted he added, "You don't have to if you don't want. But this may help me to figure out how to best help you."

Jamie Morrigan
May 12th, 2011, 01:47:21 PM
"Sure," Jamie said quietly, and there was an inquisitive chirrup from underneath the desk behind her. Spike the velociraptor came tiptoeing out with a caution that mirrored Jamie's, his head bobbing like a chicken's as he studied the priest with bright yellow eyes. He looked very little like the scary. oversized monsters on Jurassic Park - no, he was accurate, about the size of a wild turkey, with a thick coat of white feathers, a tapered, scaly snout, and a long, waving tail.

"Don't worry, he's not real," Jamie said. "I just imagined him. See?"

She leaned down and put her hand through Spike's head, which shimmered and spun off little particles of glowing light. Spike flinched from the intrusion and ducked out of her range, yammering like a frustrated dog.

"Sorry, I had to show him!" Jamie said to the upset dinosaur. She gave the priest a shrug of apology. "See, I can make illusions out of my imagination. And I know what you're gonna say, but I didn't make up the thing in my dream catcher. Honest. I don't know what it was, but I think it was causing my nightmares."

Anna Fernandez
May 12th, 2011, 01:52:30 PM
"Her dreams can be quite... vivid," Anna added. "The latest one was so strong Jamie almost transformed the entire second floor into her nightmare."

Lucian
May 13th, 2011, 09:40:47 AM
Lucian stood up slowly as he saw the dionsor creep out from under the desk. His eyes widened when he saw Jamies hand pass through it, "That is remarkable-" He looked at Jamie as she explained what happened to her dionsor. Kneeling down before Jamie the priest looked into her eyes as she pleaded with him that she was telling the truth.

"Jamie. I believe you, and I'm going to do whatever I can to help you alright." Looking at Anna, "I know these creatures, they are called night terrors. I have a friend who has been attacked by them on several occations, until he learned something."

Looking back to Jamie, "You know what he learned?" He little girl shook her head. "He learned that he was in control while he dreamed. In a very special way illusionist have more comand of their dreams than normal people do. You have the power, right here," He touched Jamies head with the tip of his finger, "and here," pointing to her heart, "to stop them from ever hurting you or your family again. You just have to be brave. Ok. You think you can be brave enough?"

He stood up and turned to Anna. "My friend, Thomas, I believe will be able to help Jamie. With your promission I will ask him to stop by. Also, concidering that this is a spiritual matter I can, whenever is good for you, come back by and bless the house."