PDA

View Full Version : Strange Days

Chaz de Coventina
Dec 15th, 2010, 03:53:12 PM
It went something like this:

Magda knocked on the wall with a tight-knuckled fist and then flicked on the overhead light in the staff alcove, drawing a miserable groan from the figure slouched over the table. The chief medical assistant smiled what was an alarmingly evil smile for a moment before sighing and setting down a cup of hot, steaming tea. It smelled of feet. And sweetener.

“You’re sick,” she announced.

“I am not.”

If she had been a lesser woman, perhaps Magda would have cooed back a sympathetic insistence that the subject in question was sick but she had been installed in the convoy’s shifting medteam for long enough to know that cooing didn’t accomplish much, particularly when the cooee was likely to kick you in the shins for deigning to do so.

Magda rolled her eyes. “Don’t be an idiot. You look terrible.”

“Once again, Magda, your observations are both unnecessary and inaccurate. Go away.”

“No.” Taking a sadistic pleasure from torturing the other woman, Magda kicked at the leg of her chair with a toe, jostling it. “Get up and go lie down on one of the gurneys, you can’t treat anyone when you’re like this.”

Chaz would have liked to glare at the assistant but that required lifting her head and it was just so comfortable resting on the cool, cool duraplast tabletop. At first the tickle in the back of her throat had been so innocuous that the doctor assumed she had merely caught a cold, perhaps from Madam Meorrrei. Over the course of a few days however, the scratchiness had developed into a heavy, dragging feeling and a general desire to lay down and die. Violently.

“I’ll be fine in a few minutes.” Chaz grunted.

“You said that half an hour ago.”

“And you kept interrupting me every twenty seconds.”

“You’re going to infect everyone. Don’t be such a terror.”

“Magda. If you do not go away, I will...” the threat hung unfinished for a long moment as Chaz tried valiantly to think of something, anything that would scare off the bull of a woman pestering her. Usually it came so easily. "Do something suitably heinous that will scar you for life."

"Lovely. You can't see me but I'm quaking." Magda's eyes gleamed and she casually continued, "I called for Doctor Henning, by the way."

The announcement had it's desired effect. Chaz's head shot up, swaying at the sudden motion before deciding that yes, it could manage to stay upright. "What? Why in Maalar's name did you do that?!"

"Because you can't see well people while you're carrying the plague and because maybe, just maybe, you'll stop being such a stubborn hag about it and listen to him." Ignoring the grumbling, bleary-eyed redhead, Magda pushed the mug of tea closer. "Drink this and try not to breathe on everything. I'm going to man the front, I'll send him back when he arrives."

With a triumphant air, the assistant turned and marched out in her sensible clinic shoes, leaving the ailing medic behind to slump miserably over her foul-smelling herbal concoction.

Barton Henning
Dec 16th, 2010, 11:02:38 AM
Henning arrived with Madga on his heels, hurrying him into Chaz's presence with all the matriarchal bluster she could manage before departing with a tight smile. In her wake she left one rather confused doctor, and another who appeared to be on the verge of collapse. Barton glanced out of the empty threshold, then back at Chaz, one eyebrow arched.

“Magda said you were after a second opinion?”

Chaz de Coventina
Dec 16th, 2010, 06:28:06 PM
"Magda needs to be shoved out an airlock," came the croaked reply, muffled slightly as it was spoken to the glossy tabletop. It took several minutes to muster up the energy to squint up at Barton through leaking eyes; Chaz cleared her throat and squared her shoulders, alleviating the sloping hill of her back to present to her colleague a marginally more convincing appearance of fair health.

"There's a bit of a flu going 'round but it's nothing a little tea," she gestured to the mug in front of her, "and some spectacillin won't fix."

Chaz closed her eyes and lay her head back down on an arm, feeling very brittle and dried out. She lifted her other hand and waved feebly. "Go on, everything's under control. Sorry about the wasted trip, Alee."

Barton Henning
Dec 28th, 2010, 07:15:01 AM
“Alee?”

Henning cocked his head to one side. There was always talk of some flu working its way through the Wheel; living in such close quarters, with such a diverse variety of species, tended lead to an above-average amount of hypochondria. Just a look at Chaz told Barton that this was more than a case of work-related fatigue.

“How long have you been feeling like this?”

Chaz de Coventina
Dec 29th, 2010, 03:01:55 AM
How baffling that Barton should bring up her little brother. Chaz couldn't even remember ever mentioning him - surely she would recall a conversation involving a deceased sibling - and anyway, there was hardly reason for him to call it up now of all times. Henning reminded her of him, actually; he had darker colouring and was taller, broader in the shoulder and much, much quieter than Alee but besides that he was a dead ringer for the youngest de Coventina son. That still didn't make it relevant conversation, however.

Chaz missed his follow up in her circular tangle of thoughts. She frowned and attempted to ask him to say it again, only managing a confused, "Hrmn?"

"How long have you been feeling like this?"

"Oh." That made more sense. Chaz rubbed at her face with a hot hand and shook her head. "A day or two, I suppose."

"She's been miserable for a week," Magda's exasperated voice cut in again as she fluttered through, swooping around Barton gracefully to deposit a packet of synthesized sweetener on the table by de Coventina's mug. Chaz slanted a malevolent look up the woman but it was a halfhearted attempt at best and lacked it's usual virulent enthusiasm.

A glass of ice water joined the growing collection of homeopathic aids and the assistant nodded at it. "At least try to get it down, alright?"

Chaz nodded and closed her eyes. "Thank you."

Stunned, Magda could only stare down at the limp doctor. In all her time at the clinic she'd heard a lot from the cranky, red-haired whirlwind but certainly never such a pathetically genuine expression of gratitude. She looked unsure about what she'd just heard and her silvery eyes darted over to Barton uncertainly for confirmation before she replied. "... you're welcome. I'll just... I'll get back to the desk."

As soon as she'd gone, Chaz lay her head back down. The tabletop was cool and brought a wonderful relief to her blazing skin, provided she didn't stay in one spot for too long.

"I thought it was just a cold," she said in a thick voice, feeling about blindly for the water glass. "But it's doing it's damnedest to rally into something else. Oh gods, Barton, just shoot me full of sedatives and toss me into a quiet corner to die in peace. You're merciful, aren't you?"

Barton Henning
Jan 14th, 2011, 03:40:47 PM
“Mercy's in short supply right now, but we've got plenty of tough love. Plus, we can't have your dead body cluttering up valuable space and becoming a fire hazard.”

Crossing the distance between them, Barton gestured for Chaz to lift her head. When she grudgingly complied, lifting it just a few inches from the blessed cool of the tabletop, he touched the back of his hand to her temple.

“I'm sure I don't have to ask you this, but have you had any significant changes to your diet lately? Try anything in the mess hall that you hadn't tried before?”

Chaz de Coventina
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:01:31 AM
Chaz shook her head and leaned against Barton's hand; it wasn't as refreshing as the table but it was a good deal cooler than her face and it was incredibly kind of him to help her stay upright. He was a thoughtful sort, Henning.

"Just soup; haven't been hungry."

Eating in the cafeteria could be an adventure in unknown culinary conquests on the best of days but she would have gladly surrendered to food poisoning if a trade were possible. A couple of days of retching, cold sweats and then presto chango, all was well again. There was no pathetic humiliation with that at least, no need to get a doctor involved.

Maybe the old adage was true: physicians made the worst patients. Too much time spent on the opposite end of the 'scope made them susceptible to something of a warrior king complex and bred an impatience with illness, that many-faced fiend that they very often conquered.

Chaz winced and raked a hand through her hair, hissing sharply. Sneaky bastard of a...

"These damn headaches," she growled in a wretched tone, digging the heel of her palm against her forehead. "They don't even have the decency to be normal, they're like... like a horde of tiny Tusken Raiders beating against the inside of my skull with their staffs and then running away like cowards!

Barton Henning
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:07:38 PM
“What's that old saying about Tusken Raiders? Easily startled but they always come back in greater numbers. That doesn't bode well for your head.” Barton slid into the seat opposite Chaz, resting his elbows against the table top. “Are you sure I can't get you anything?”

Chaz de Coventina
Apr 20th, 2011, 06:16:26 PM
Chaz shook her head. "Beyond that opiate cocktail I asked so prettily for? No, I don`t think so. Just let me revel in the relative intelligence of your company before I`m forced to suffer whatever idiots await in the clinic."

A hissing exhalation limped past her lips and Chaz`s head hit the table again, hair spilling in limp, sweat-damp waves across the monotone surface. For a long few moments there was nothing but the hitch of shoulders to indicate that de Coventina was breathing, her form otherwise dead still. Just when it seemed that the woman had given way to a spontaneous coma, Chaz stood up. The act was carried on trembling limbs, more a stilting rise of reluctant motion than anything else. Chaz was very pale, her eyes glazed as she reached out with a hand.

"Barton," Chaz said evenly. "I think I`m going to pass out." And the doctor fell like a stone, in methodical fulfillment of the diagnostic prophesy.