PDA

View Full Version : The Setting Sun

Salem Ave
Nov 21st, 2010, 06:17:02 AM
HoloNet screens across Iziz flickered with the familiar visage of Prime Minister Ave, his head lowered for a moment as he consulted at the data-flimsi he held in his hands. Pinched between thumb and forefinger, the sheet contained what amounted to his final address as the Prime Minister of Iziz and Onderon.

The news of Ave's resignation had already made its way to the populace at large, though the ceremonial formalities involving in standing down from official had only just been concluded, allowing Salem the time to make an official announcement. He stood at a podium on the Sky Ramp, the monumental road which lead to the battlements of the royal grounds. Guardsmen of the Royal Palace and lesser politicians of the court stood before Ave in rank and file, the grey and green of Onderon's royal colours diluted here and there by the blue and gold of the Hapes Consortium. Beyond them were huddles of civilians, straining to see if the Queen herself was present.

“I stand before you today to offer my thanks, for allowing me the privilege of serving Iziz and Onderon these past years. Only those that have held political office can understand the full weight of its responsibility and its great capacity for good. It is my greatest hope that my successor understands this too.

With the support of every Onderonian citizen, this planet has undergone great changes in recent times. The age-old conflict with our Mandalorian neighbours has come to an end, ushering in a new age of peace and prosperity between the people of Iziz, the noble warriors of Dxun and the honourable Beast Riders beyond our walls.

It is my sincerest hope that there may come a time when we may tear down these walls, as we have begun to tear down the walls between ourselves and the galaxy at large, welcoming our Hapan brothers and sisters into our homes and our hearts. Though I leave the offices of Prime Minister, I shall never be far from Onderon, acting as this planets ambassador to star-systems near and far.”

Salem looked to the men and women before him then to the eye of the holocam which projected his image to the thousands he could not see. “It is an enduring honour to serve you, Onderon. Thank you.”

Ave bowed his head and with that a ripple of applause spread through the crowd. Almost immediately, the area around the Sky Ramp was alive with noise. The Merchant Quarter, to which the Sky Ramp was directly connected, resumed trading, whilst various journalists and curious parties fired volleys of questions at the now ex-Prime Minister. Salem took the time to answer their queries before excusing himself, whereupon a square of guardsmen encircled him and began the climb back towards the palace.

Salem Ave
Nov 28th, 2010, 06:01:45 AM
Preparations had already begun for Salem's departure from Onderon, yet the offices he used in the role of Prime Minister had gone largely untouched. The fixtures and furnishings – even the chaise longue Razielle had insisted on installing – would remain, as would the reports and proposals which lined the Prime Minister's bookshelves. Deeply diligent in his work, Salem would leave behind a wealth of resources for his successor, all of which were designed to ensure Onderon's future unfolded according to plan.

Whoever inherited the offices Salem Ave now stood in had a busy few months ahead of them. As one of his last public acts of office, Ave had announced that the Queen would be travelling to the throne-world of the Hapes Consortium for the first time, where she would be reunited with the Princess Razielle and discuss the ever-strengthening relationship between Onderon and Hapes. Salem would travel ahead of the Onderonian Queen, to ensure that all necessary preparations were made.

In truth, both he and Adraudia had business elsewhere (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21522) first – but that was not a matter for public consumption.