PDA

View Full Version : Trapped in BIOS. Send help

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 10th, 2010, 08:59:28 AM
It seems that power shenanigans have happened at the house, and my computer didn't take them well. It won't boot up, and currently I have the BIOS menu up, but I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. I've tried a few things, but nothing works, and it keeps going to the menu where it asks me whether I want to start up in safe mode, last known good config, etc.

Both machines were turned off when we left, yet it seems they rebooted when the power was restored after going out since both were running when we came home.

Since I'm posting this from Charley's computer, I doubt I'll be about much until the issue is resolved.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 10th, 2010, 11:46:07 AM
First Brian, now you! The machines are revolting against us!!

Yog
Nov 10th, 2010, 12:26:46 PM
You should explain more in detail what happens after you select "safe mode" or "last known good configuration". Is there hard drive activity? Do you see any error messages? Is there just a black screen. Does the computer reset? Do you see the windows loading screen at any point? What do you see, if anything?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 10th, 2010, 02:27:16 PM
Any mode that I select does the same thing. First is the graphics card info, then it goes to V-Class, where I can either select tab for post, or del for the bios. If I do neither, it begins to start booting. It boots from the cd (I've tried booting from the hd, but that doesn't work either). After that it goes to the page where it gives the restart options.

I'm not sure where to see if there is hd activity.

In the CMOS features, it says today's date is the seventh, and won't let me change it.

IDE Channel 0 Master - Auto
Access Mode - Auto

Capacity, cylender, head, precomp,landing zone, and sector all say 0. If I do the hdd auto detection, nothing changes.

IDE Channel 0 Slave - Auto
Access Mode - Auto

Capacity - 60000 MB
Cylender - 28721
Head - 16
Precomp - 0
Landing Zone - 28720
Sector - 255

I'm fairly lost when it comes to rooting about in the bios, so I hope this helps, and if there's anything more or anything in particular that I should be looking at, let me know and I'll do my best to access it.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 10th, 2010, 02:53:31 PM
Give me a call at your earliest convenience.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 10th, 2010, 03:37:36 PM
Stupid windows looked like it puked up on Christin =x

Darth Turbogeek
Nov 11th, 2010, 03:33:01 AM
put the drive in another machine and do a chkdsk. Probably will come good.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 13th, 2010, 08:10:44 AM
I don't have another machine to do that with.

I ran windows repair, but it seems to have done absolutely no good whatsoever. When I take the windows disc out and let it try to boot up, it falls into that same cycle of asking me how I want to restart. It's like repair didn't even do anything.

:|

Milivikal k'Vik
Nov 13th, 2010, 09:44:59 AM
You can put it in Charley's machine.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 14th, 2010, 12:44:30 AM
Back in town, boys and girls >D

Wyl Staedtler
Nov 14th, 2010, 01:02:52 AM
ngl, when I saw this thread title, all I could think of was that awesome Pauly Shore movie.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 14th, 2010, 01:17:38 AM
Oh heavens, hehe, it's been aaages since I've seen that movie.

Strangely enough, the driver for my graphics card failed to install o_O

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 14th, 2010, 07:59:19 AM
Back in town, boys and girls >D

:dance yeah