PDA

View Full Version : Swiss German Accent

Mu Satach
Oct 6th, 2010, 03:50:10 PM
I'm hunting for any Swiss German talk internet radio, tv or films I can listen too over the next 5 days. Does not have to be in English.

By a strange twist of circumstances , I am going to be auditioning for some voice over work and need to do a crash course on the accent.

Suggestions?

Mu Satach
Oct 8th, 2010, 10:03:34 PM
Ok, swiss films are hard to find. And Swiss radio is interesting very interesting

Have gone for German films and just watching whatever I can find on netflix

We'll see how this thing turns out.

Crusader
Oct 9th, 2010, 06:31:03 AM
Basicly you have to get your Rs right and every time you end a statement it should sound like a question whether it is one or not, so that the person you are talking to gets eventually confused.

It sounds kind of like that:
You went to the movies or [did you not (in German grammar you just need to put an or/oder at the end of a sentence in order to turn a statement into a question and the Swiss love that and this freaks the other German speakers out!)]

Mu Satach
Oct 9th, 2010, 11:11:06 AM
LOL thanks. :)

I'm worried about how I will pronounce my a's - and the r's definately...

What I find really interesting is I think I'm getting the general gist of what the announcers are talking about - more in a general broad subject - film vs. books. vs. politics vs. weather vs. food.

I'm a bit nervous - the recording got moved up to day. O_O

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 11th, 2010, 06:20:24 PM
How did things go?

Mu Satach
Oct 11th, 2010, 06:31:44 PM
Well, I did well enough! Got the job, will be doing another session later this week. Get to add voice over artist to my cv now.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 11th, 2010, 06:37:29 PM
Cooool! :D

I would love to hear a drunken Swiss German Mu at BN ;)

Mu Satach
Oct 11th, 2010, 07:11:24 PM
I think it would sound like the town drunk in Blazing Saddles.

There was one word I already know I can't say with the german accent - "revelry"

Karl Valten
Oct 12th, 2010, 12:00:49 AM
Did you say Swiss? :)

Sorry, spent waaaaaaaay too much time in the U.S. I can't even fake a Swiss accent anymore.

Glad to hear it went well.

If you need a few examples of the language, I remember this interview and newscast from a bit ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W4NIXqVujs

Mu Satach
Oct 13th, 2010, 03:06:55 PM
ooo thanks, I'll keep that handy in case they call me in to do any more recording

Incidentally, the spots are for a resort and day spa in the mountains out here

http://www.zermattresort.com/

I think I might go up the weekend after my next payday and check out their pastry shop.

Karl Valten
Oct 14th, 2010, 01:03:45 PM
Argh, for a second there I actually thought that was Zermat, Switzerland. :(

Was going to saw, "Sweet I'll be there this winter and stop by."

XD

Mu Satach
Oct 14th, 2010, 01:30:14 PM
That double t is a killer!

I guess the area was settled by some Swiss folk back in the day - the director of the commercials is convinced the owner is obsessed with the wood, so now I have to go see it. And have the pistachio gellato...